Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

Jamesman posted:

They're giving zombies and skeletons more annoying AI while the player has no real advancements in dealing with enemies or avoiding them. I don't really see anything improved or better about that.

You can enchant your stuff!

:downs:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Who has any trouble at all with the mobs though in minecraft?

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

Killer-of-Lawyers posted:

Who has any trouble at all with the mobs though in minecraft?

The question is who has any FUN with the mobs in Minecraft?

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
I can't understand why there isn't something as simple as different arrow materials in the game. Iron arrows that do bonus damage, diamond-tipped arrows for potential one-hit kills if you are willing to invest in them. Gold tipped arrows could do bonus damage to Endermen. Anything to make combat a bit more interesting and to make exotic ores more useful.

Ebola Dog
Apr 3, 2011

Dinosaurs are directly related to turtles!
^^^ Redstone arrows that can trigger redstone circuits.

Jamesman posted:

They're giving zombies and skeletons more annoying AI while the player has no real advancements in dealing with enemies or avoiding them. I don't really see anything improved or better about that.

But you can jump to get crits! Everyone knows that combat becomes less annoying if you have to constantly jump in order to do decent damage!

Pumpking
Oct 27, 2007

Who is number 1?

R.L. Stine posted:

I don't know if people still play adventure type maps but here's a thing I did. This was my first time making one of these so sorry if it's poo poo. Please tell me if I made a bunch of mistakes.

Download it to your personal computer

I enjoyed it. Was quite short but I loved the ending. Considering this was a first attempt I'm impressed :bravo:

Captain Zeroth
Feb 24, 2007
Im a captain?!

R.L. Stine posted:

I don't know if people still play adventure type maps but here's a thing I did. This was my first time making one of these so sorry if it's poo poo. Please tell me if I made a bunch of mistakes.

I haven't played an adventure map (let alone MC) in some time. That was a fun use of 10 minutes! I really liked the use of maps.

Tirius
Aug 16, 2007

A short, sturdy creature fond of drink and industry.

R.L. Stine posted:

First adventure map I've ever played. I liked it, it was a relaxing way to start my day since uni classes have been cancelled from weather.

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
I miss the days when all we complained about was not being able to Minecraft owner someone if them ask

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

Eox posted:

I miss the days when all we complained about was not being able to Minecraft owner someone if them ask

I miss the days when multiplayer JUST came out. Running a server with 30 people on and standing on a tree vomiting TNT and watching my computer stutter. Building glass bridges over huge holes in the world. Blowing up people's houses. Constantly telling people not to use minecarts as it would lag the server. Watching the thread constantly recommend llama's no fire/no tnt mod as it was the ONLY mod available. Then hey0 wrote a wrapper for the server and the mods began to start. Good times.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

poemdexter posted:

I miss the days when multiplayer JUST came out. Running a server with 30 people on and standing on a tree vomiting TNT and watching my computer stutter. Building glass bridges over huge holes in the world. Blowing up people's houses. Constantly telling people not to use minecarts as it would lag the server. Watching the thread constantly recommend llama's no fire/no tnt mod as it was the ONLY mod available. Then hey0 wrote a wrapper for the server and the mods began to start. Good times.

I started playing MC around August of 2010, I remember hey0 being on here fairly often. Is he the grandfather of bukkit, or am I thinking of canary?

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

poemdexter posted:

I played on your server way back when. It was a happier, more innocent time.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

Elysiume posted:

I played on your server way back when. It was a happier, more innocent time.

It was definitely fun. The only thing keeping me running it was that everyone got to play with everything I wrote and I got constant feedback.

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I started playing MC around August of 2010, I remember hey0 being on here fairly often. Is he the grandfather of bukkit, or am I thinking of canary?

hey0 started it all with his wrapper. He also had a few other devs helping him. He left for Christmas break one year and there was a minecraft update and the devs had no idea what they were doing. Some self appointed head of communications on IRC decided to tell everyone that hey0 wasn't approving code (there was no approval process) and he decides to wrangle all the poo poo devs and start bukkit. hey0 comes back from break, fixes the code the devs couldn't fix, releases his last update, and quits modding due to drama. Best part is that the guy who runs bukkit isn't a developer at all. He just managed to convince all the hey0 helpers to start a new thing which just so happens to look EXACTLY like hey0's did except it took them months and months to even get to something that worked at the same level as hey0's. It's also around the time I quit modding because gently caress those guys. I'm not supporting bukkit at all.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
I played Minecraft when there were like 4 kinds of blocks and you were able to dig all the way through the floor and fall through the world. Also you pressed I think it was B to spawn a mob that used the player character that would run around jumping at random. Those were the good old days.

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

poemdexter posted:

I miss the days when multiplayer JUST came out. Running a server with 30 people on and standing on a tree vomiting TNT and watching my computer stutter.
Your mods are what got me into writing mods in the first place. Book teleport, etc...

Your server was a lot of fun and most everyone was so damned creative. I remember being gone a week and coming back and finding two cities built full of impossible structures.

Miijhal
Jul 10, 2011

I am so tired... I am so tired all the time...

poemdexter posted:

hey0 started it all with his wrapper. He also had a few other devs helping him. He left for Christmas break one year and there was a minecraft update and the devs had no idea what they were doing. Some self appointed head of communications on IRC decided to tell everyone that hey0 wasn't approving code (there was no approval process) and he decides to wrangle all the poo poo devs and start bukkit. hey0 comes back from break, fixes the code the devs couldn't fix, releases his last update, and quits modding due to drama. Best part is that the guy who runs bukkit isn't a developer at all. He just managed to convince all the hey0 helpers to start a new thing which just so happens to look EXACTLY like hey0's did except it took them months and months to even get to something that worked at the same level as hey0's. It's also around the time I quit modding because gently caress those guys. I'm not supporting bukkit at all.
That would explain why Bukkit is such a frustrating clusterfuck to use.

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic
Is there a good summary post for running my own minecraft server? Going to do it with just a few friends. I assume its not going to be too difficult but it's my first time so if any vets have any advice of things to not forget that would be great :)

Not too worried about the cost of the server either, just going to pick one of the highly rated hosters (thinking about servercraft). I expect to pay about $20/mo.

Also, I haven't played since beta so I don't know anything about the changes... I don't plan on having any mods except teleports/waypoints/spawn setting. I assume these work on all version of minecraft so I'm going to set up the server for the most recent version (1.9, 1.8, whatever it is). So I think this means I'll need bukkit?

Spectral Werewolf
Jun 15, 2006

And if that wasn't funny, there were lots of things that weren't even funnier...

Jamesman posted:

Yep, this is exactly what I'm getting at. The mod API is the only thing this game ever needed. Combat is pretty 1-dimentional, enchanting is overcomplicated an may as well have been flat out random, AI is pretty much pointless since NPCs don't add anything.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

mitztronic posted:

Is there a good summary post for running my own minecraft server? Going to do it with just a few friends. I assume its not going to be too difficult but it's my first time so if any vets have any advice of things to not forget that would be great :)

Not too worried about the cost of the server either, just going to pick one of the highly rated hosters (thinking about servercraft). I expect to pay about $20/mo.

Also, I haven't played since beta so I don't know anything about the changes... I don't plan on having any mods except teleports/waypoints/spawn setting. I assume these work on all version of minecraft so I'm going to set up the server for the most recent version (1.9, 1.8, whatever it is). So I think this means I'll need bukkit?

What internet connection do you have currently? If it's just a few friends, 20 dollars a month is outrageous.

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic

poemdexter posted:

What internet connection do you have currently? If it's just a few friends, 20 dollars a month is outrageous.

We tried that in the past and it didn't work out well at all. $20/month is no big deal for me, but I may just do the $15/month package... I'll probably only rent it for a couple months, anyways.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

I've hosted up to 15 people simultaneously in the past with a basic C2D (e7200), 8GB RAM, and 2Mbps uplink.

I've found that cable works better than DSL, regardless of the link speed.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Jamesman posted:

I don't think better pathfinding can be reduced to "more annoying" at all. Being able to find their way out from behind a tree or a two-block-tall pillar seems like a good thing no matter how you feel about the mobs, unless your current strategy for dealing with them is hoping they get stuck behind something.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Vib Rib posted:

I don't think better pathfinding can be reduced to "more annoying" at all. Being able to find their way out from behind a tree or a two-block-tall pillar seems like a good thing no matter how you feel about the mobs, unless your current strategy for dealing with them is hoping they get stuck behind something.
My current strategy for dealing with them is hope they get stuck behind something. And then I leave them there. Combat in Minecraft sucks.

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*
When mobs have intelligent pathfinding, that just means all of them will be clustered around my front door and roof in the morning instead of half of them.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

Elysiume posted:

My current strategy for dealing with them is hope they get stuck behind something. And then I leave them there. Combat in Minecraft sucks.

Yes it does. And the fact that a 2 high dirt wall is enough to discourage all but spiders is really a demotivator for me to build fortified dwellings etc. I want different strength materials to actually have a point!

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

PalmTreeFun posted:

When mobs have intelligent pathfinding, that just means all of them will be clustered around my front door and roof in the morning instead of half of them.

Dispenser loaded with arrows on either side of the doorway + button inside to trigger = loot.

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic
I always thought minecraft needed a shield for combat (or did they add that already?)

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

mitztronic posted:

I always thought minecraft needed a shield for combat (or did they add that already?)
There is a block, but its pointless because there are still no attack animations, and all it does is reduce the damage taken. Its better to just attack.

i like tacos
Mar 26, 2010

Ask me about being a liar who doesn't actually like tacos and is a disagreeable asshole
I feel there needs to be more exploring/combat items. Like what was said above with different types of arrows and bows or crafting new items like grapples and stuff. There's not enough of stuff to mine for and use right now. I don't build elaborate traps or buildings so that gets boring quick.

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*

AlexDeGruven posted:

Dispenser loaded with arrows on either side of the doorway + button inside to trigger = loot.

I tried this once. It doesn't work as well as you'd think.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

How'd you think it would work? Because when I did it, it worked exactly the way I expected it to.

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*

pseudorandom name posted:

How'd you think it would work? Because when I did it, it worked exactly the way I expected it to.

Well, I'd put a trap in front of the house and it would shoot arrows/chuck potions at them. Half the time skeletons would barely nudge the thing or walk directly in front of door instead of the traps and not get killed.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

No, you put the dispenser outside aimed at the space in front of your door, and wire the dispenser to a button inside your house. Then you stand by your closed door and press the button to watch the thing outside your house die.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

General_Failure posted:

Yes it does. And the fact that a 2 high dirt wall is enough to discourage all but spiders is really a demotivator for me to build fortified dwellings etc. I want different strength materials to actually have a point!

They do, when a creeper's chasing you.

YOURFRIEND
Feb 3, 2009

You're an asshole, Mr. Grinch
You really are a cunt
You're as cuddly as a cockring
and charming being a shitheel

FUCK YOURFRIEND!

General_Failure posted:

Is it spergier to go with the utilitarian option for dealing with things, or to make a big fort?

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

YOURFRIEND posted:

Is it spergier to go with the utilitarian option for dealing with things, or to make a big fort?

I want to build big forts etc. but my imagination relies on practicality. I usually end up with a network of crappy little huts with a bed, chest, workbench and furnace. Usually one built near every resource type, or within a day's trek. Quite often they have a ladder or stairwell so the night can be spent mining precious ores. On nearby vantage points sometimes I use the excess cobble to build lighthouses of a sort so I never get lost.
There is no incentive for me to really fortify, and that makes me sad :(
However it hasn't stopped me from creating clever ways to do things. One of my creative maps has an area I dubbed Aperture Labs.
The entire area is devoted to convoluted ways of killing things and making life difficult.
Among the things there are a couple of hallways of death. One designed to stomp everything flat, and another with pistons above and below with a ripple that it's possible to run through if you get your timing right.
I also accidentally invented a rapidfire pressure plate triggered arrow dispenser, a minecart based catch and dispatch system for mobs which sweeps them up around the compound and sends them on a rapid ride of suffocation.
What else... Oh a house with a switch in it. The switch is linked to a network of hidden redstone wiring. When it is flipped, an array of pistons retract exposing a lava moat.

On no :( I just realised that my SMP hidden railway diversion was lost in the hard drive corruption. That was the best of all. It was a redstone nightmare which did the following:

There was an above ground town with a railroad around it. where the rail cuts through the forest there is a surprise. Where it takes a right turn, the minecarts don't. There is a trigger track and delay circuits which for a fraction of a second
snap open a sticky piston entrance in the ground to the left with which went down to the subterranean city. It also switched the track to the left at the right moment. It left the rider thinking "WTF just happenend?". It also had the requisite circuitry to open the hidden dirt trapdoor again for the ride up, but not switch the track direction so the minecart could continue on its one way voyage.

Now, before MC went gold, I was playing with Fador's Mineserver. While not fully featured it was written in C++ and had a plugin API of sorts. I was just starting to make mobs which could interact with their world, because dammit I want Zombies that can smash glass and skellies that can open doors. Also creepers that when in groups decide that one should take one for the team when you are spotted but inaccessible. Ie. Oh there you are inside your house. BOOM! and in come the rest of the party.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:
Well, that was an interesting night.

Brew up a few splash potions of harming, grab a spare fire resistance extended and an iron sword and head through my Nether portal to the Blaze spawner I've been farming for XP. Soon as I enter the Nether, my entire computer froze up.

Log back into Minecraft, my whole inventory is gone. Enchanted diamond pick, enchanted sword, enchanted bow, potions, experience, food...I very nearly broke my computer for the second time because of Minecraft.

This is 1.1, I thought the random computer-crashing, inventory-wiping freezes after less than an hour of play were gone?

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Your computer locking up is, by definition, not Minecraft's fault.

Edit everything you lost back in to your inventory and update your graphics drivers / check for malware / etc.

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
New snapshot is out guys it fixes all the ra

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

Siljmonster posted:

So how many n-bombs will have to be dropped before they hire some QA guys? Ten more? A hundred?

Do you think they'd dare release an "official release" that might have a hidden n-bomb??

Polo-Rican fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Feb 2, 2012