Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gnrk
Apr 1, 2008
So 10.7.3 hosed up my mid 2010 MBP. In verbose mode, I get a repeating "invalid sandbox profile" messaging. Resetting PRAM did noting. Checking for erroring in Disk Utility turned none up. I have a backup but not of the paper I just spent two hours writing. Does anyone have any ideas? gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NerdsMcGee
Sep 23, 2006
My hands are too stained...

gnrk posted:

So 10.7.3 hosed up my mid 2010 MBP. In verbose mode, I get a repeating "invalid sandbox profile" messaging. Resetting PRAM did noting. Checking for erroring in Disk Utility turned none up. I have a backup but not of the paper I just spent two hours writing. Does anyone have any ideas? gently caress.

Can you boot single user?

gnrk
Apr 1, 2008
I'm trying fsck -fy now. I don't know what made me think updating without backing up first was a good idea. Stupid.

I ran fsck -fy and it modified something, then I ran it again and it said everything was alright. Verbose mode still says
Invalid sandbox profile for pid 21 (increases by 1 every few seconds) (invalid regex)

gnrk fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Feb 2, 2012

NerdsMcGee
Sep 23, 2006

gnrk posted:

I'm trying fsck -fy now. I don't know what made me think updating without backing up first was a good idea. Stupid.

Hey, It happens. Idea though:

Do you have access to the Recovery Partition? I know Apple released a recent update to bring it to the mid-2010 13". If you do, you can probably grab a copy off of that, or pull out your Lion media (If you have some) and boot off that with a USB drive plugged in and copy to that?

gnrk
Apr 1, 2008

NerdsMcGee posted:

Hey, It happens. Idea though:

Do you have access to the Recovery Partition? I know Apple released a recent update to bring it to the mid-2010 13". If you do, you can probably grab a copy off of that, or pull out your Lion media (If you have some) and boot off that with a USB drive plugged in and copy to that?
I do have access to that, I'll give it a shot. Thanks for the idea.

NerdsMcGee
Sep 23, 2006

gnrk posted:

I do have access to that, I'll give it a shot. Thanks for the idea.

Looks like all the fixes to the borked 10.7.3 updates revolve around downloading the full combo updater and installing that on the offending bad install. But first things first. Grab your paper, and let us know you were successful. Everything else is downhill from there. :)

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Venkmanologist posted:

I'm looking to sell both my macbook and macbook pro. The drives will be wiped and either Snow Leopard or Lion will be installed, depending on the buyer's choice.

How do I go about also installing iLife '11 without having to set up a user account? Do I need to bake the iLife install into the OS installations somehow? And how would I do that?
If you take it to a Genius Bar there's a standard 10.6.8 / iLife '11 image they can throw on there for you in 15 minutes.

gnrk
Apr 1, 2008
I feel silly, but I'm in the restore partition and I have the offending drive mounted. Everything checks out. But how do I browse the drive/open finder? There aren't any icons on the desktop...

Do I have to use Terminal?

NerdsMcGee
Sep 23, 2006

gnrk posted:

I feel silly, but I'm in the restore partition and I have the offending drive mounted. Everything checks out. But how do I browse the drive/open finder? There aren't any icons on the desktop...

Do I have to use Terminal?

Yeah, You'll have to use terminal.

gnrk
Apr 1, 2008
NerdsMcGee, wear your shining armor proud.

NerdsMcGee
Sep 23, 2006

gnrk posted:

NerdsMcGee, wear your shining armor proud.

Heh, Thanks. There might be a hacky way of running the combo updater from Recovery but I can't remember off the top of my head how to do it. Probably better off with an Archive and Install and going from there.

gnrk
Apr 1, 2008
I've been meaning to get a flash drive to make a Lion disc. I'll look into it after my 7 hour restore over USB. :f5:

Mac OS X and Mac Software - 10.7.3 is hosed!

gnrk fucked around with this message at 09:04 on Feb 2, 2012

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
Yikes. I might wait until I get Time Machine sorted before I run this update.

NerdsMcGee
Sep 23, 2006

Montalvo posted:

Yikes. I might wait until I get Time Machine sorted before I run this update.

I have a Vertex2 coming next-day from the egg tomorrow, so I'll let you know how I fare after.

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

Did they update Mail too? It threw up some notice about Growlmail not being supported on Mail 5.2.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Yes, Mail was v5.1 before.

Every point release usually updates Apple's standard apps as well.

Warning: the 10.7.3 combo update is 1.2 GB in size and Apple's servers are no doubt getting hammered at the moment.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 13:31 on Feb 2, 2012

Olivil
Jul 15, 2010

Wow I'd like to be as smart as a computer
Why did they change the clickable cursor in safari? :(

What else did they ruin? WHAT ELSE?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Someone put a picture of the 'cui cui cui' bug on MacRumors

Flobbster
Feb 17, 2005

"Cadet Kirk, after the way you cheated on the Kobayashi Maru test I oughta punch you in tha face!"
"Address compatibility issues with Microsoft Windows file sharing"

Man, I hope this means they fixed up their botched Samba implementation that's been keeping me from using XBMC on my Apple TV since I upgraded to Lion. I've been lazy and unwilling to install yet another Samba implementation from MacPorts just to get the thing working.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
Is anyone else having issues mounting an Android SD card via USB since updating to 10.7.3?

e: to be specific, when I plug it in I get this error:

and disk utility gives me a similar error ("filesystem is not supported" or thereabouts).

e2: nevermind, it seems like it just refused to mount.

computer parts fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Feb 2, 2012

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

IGNORE ME! I'M JUST AN OLD WET RAG
I'm having a little difficulty following the discussion: is the consensus that the Software Update version of 10.7.3 is hosed, but the combo updater from http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1484 is OK? Or are they both intermittently hosed?

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

beefnoodle posted:

I'm having a little difficulty following the discussion: is the consensus that the Software Update version of 10.7.3 is hosed, but the combo updater from http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1484 is OK? Or are they both intermittently hosed?

The combo is OK.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

beefnoodle posted:

Mine went fine. Nobody else at work has bitched today so either it went fine, or they didn't install yet...

LordLobo
Dec 12, 2003

Not
gonna
take it
anymore
I seem to be one of the lucky ones who had no problems with the 10.7.3 install. Early 2011 MBP

Anyone found more bugfixes or perhaps a full list? I've noticed iCal is almost completely un-hosed now and that mail.app seems...different. Some things seems slightly snappier (spaces switching).

'Dynamic Graphics Switching' off still doesn't seem to work right with gfxCardStatus set to 'discrete only'

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

From what I've seen, people only get problems when they've installed some top-heavy applications that add kernel extensions written retardedly, or have done something to modify Apple's defaults, like set maxfiles to some ridiculous number just so they can run their media server properly or move the swapfile location off the boot volume (which I have done for pre-Lion systems).

Even then, in my experience, both updaters try to gingerly work around your retarded plist edits and things tend to work out anyway (your.cfg file gets renamed to .bak or .001 and the installer pops in an unadulterated plist.)

Regular users running the non-combo updater shouldn't be seeing mushroom clouds erupting from their CD slots, or the USB ports on the Airs.

Edit: I also usually re-clear out all system and extension caches as well after a point upgrade with Cocktail or TinkerTool System, and I've never gotten the Ghostbusters symbol without the ghost in this fashion.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Feb 2, 2012

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

IGNORE ME! I'M JUST AN OLD WET RAG
Thanks, I went with the combo and it seems fine.

gnrk
Apr 1, 2008
So I woke to find my computer off. Cool, the Time Machine restore is done. Except now I get a blinking folder/question icon and because my computer's restore disks are Snow Leopard, they don't know what to make of all my FileVault 2 drives. I cannot believe how hosed this whole situation is. The loving Snow Leopard installer doesn't see any installable drives and my Lion recovery partition was nuked. Or everything s there but the EFI doesn't "know" it.

There seem to be two solutions. Erase the disk in Disk Utility and reinstall Snow Leopard and work my way up or somehow get the system to realize there is poo poo there.

While this is all taking place I'm going to have to wander around campus asking people if their Mac has Lion and if I can plug a strange external hard drive into it to copy a file off. FUCCKKKK

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Safari 5.1.3 is definitely faster. I usually start my day by opening 30 news pages at once from a bookmarks folder, and on my i7 Air it'll usually beach-ball for a little bit while it renders everything. Now it loads pretty darn quickly and it didn't bring all of Safari down to a grinding halt.

Also, Apple just seeded Safari 5.1.4 to developers that promises even faster rendering thanks to Javascript improvements and a new Webkit revision.

edit: I wonder what they're working on that has them aggressively targeting Safari performance so much. :ninja:

Star War Sex Parrot fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Feb 2, 2012

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

No Safari updates for SL? :black101:

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I really hope Apple pushes Safari as fast as it can go. I'm a Chrome user but honestly I'm pretty sick of having to use Xmarks to sync bookmarks between my iPad and Mac through Safari so I've been thinking about just reverting back to Safari. It's not like the browsing experience is any different, it's just a little bit of UI shock for maybe two days and then I'll forget all about it.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Bob Morales posted:

No Safari updates for SL? :black101:

Only the general security update which does cover a LOT of elements, although Webkit isn't even mentioned as getting patched in any way.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Martytoof posted:

I really hope Apple pushes Safari as fast as it can go. I'm a Chrome user but honestly I'm pretty sick of having to use Xmarks to sync bookmarks between my iPad and Mac through Safari so I've been thinking about just reverting back to Safari. It's not like the browsing experience is any different, it's just a little bit of UI shock for maybe two days and then I'll forget all about it.

Safari is just so loving odd. Firefox seems to be a slow RAM hog these days, so I've switched to Chrome - but I still prefer the way Firefox works.

coldplay chiptunes
Sep 17, 2010

by Lowtax

Bob Morales posted:

Safari is just so loving odd. Firefox seems to be a slow RAM hog these days, so I've switched to Chrome - but I still prefer the way Firefox works.
Odd?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Bob Morales posted:

I actually switched to Chrome because the few times I ran Safari lately it seemed to be a colossal memory hog. I mean that was when I had 4 gigs of ram. Now that I've got 12 I think this is less of an issue so I'll probably make the switch anyway.

I've gotten so used to a lot of Chrome-isms though, like the omnibar, etc.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

My main thing was that I liked the way the address bar searched your history in Firefox.

Chrome gives me the error page with the little robot a lot for what seems like no reason.

coldplay chiptunes
Sep 17, 2010

by Lowtax

Bob Morales posted:

My main thing was that I liked the way the address bar searched your history in Firefox.
Safari's address bar searches your history...

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

gnrk posted:

So I woke to find my computer off. Cool, the Time Machine restore is done. Except now I get a blinking folder/question icon and because my computer's restore disks are Snow Leopard, they don't know what to make of all my FileVault 2 drives. I cannot believe how hosed this whole situation is. The loving Snow Leopard installer doesn't see any installable drives and my Lion recovery partition was nuked. Or everything s there but the EFI doesn't "know" it.

There seem to be two solutions. Erase the disk in Disk Utility and reinstall Snow Leopard and work my way up or somehow get the system to realize there is poo poo there.

While this is all taking place I'm going to have to wander around campus asking people if their Mac has Lion and if I can plug a strange external hard drive into it to copy a file off. FUCCKKKK
You're sure the Recovery Partition was nuked? Try holding down command-R at boot, with FileVault2 it won't show up with option-boot. Failing that hold option-R to get into Internet Recovery.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

coldplay chiptunes posted:

Safari's address bar searches your history...

That was more of a Chrome comparison. I try to use Safari at all times on one of my laptops, but then we have to test with Firefox at work, and from there I surf with a Linux VM that has Chrome...

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Bob Morales posted:

There's SafariOmnibar, but not everyone likes using SIMBL plugins.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prate
Jun 23, 2005

Martytoof posted:

I actually switched to Chrome because the few times I ran Safari lately it seemed to be a colossal memory hog. I mean that was when I had 4 gigs of ram. Now that I've got 12 I think this is less of an issue so I'll probably make the switch anyway.

I've gotten so used to a lot of Chrome-isms though, like the omnibar, etc.

Safari has an omnibar extension.

I like Safari a lot better now that it supports extensions. I probably wouldn't use it if it didn't have Ghostery, Javascript Blacklist and ClicktoFlash. I can't really tell much of a difference between it and Chrome or Firefox.