Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

redbackground posted:

:rant::hf::reject: Nothing bugs me more (collected editions-wise) than when the covers aren't placed before each issue. Luckily, it's much more rare now then it used to be.

DC used to be bastards about that. All the covers would be reprinted like 6 to a page at the back of the book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Rhyno posted:

DC used to be bastards about that. All the covers would be reprinted like 6 to a page at the back of the book.
Or just not at all (hello, Knightsaga!).

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

redbackground posted:

Or just not at all (hello, Knightsaga!).

Does anyone else remember the very brief AOL enhanced comic experience? Where if you wanted things like covers you had to go to DC's AOL page.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Nitpicky EC Archives comparison video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l9nl834kzqY

Sanschel
Aug 9, 2002

Shameless posted:

I know a bit bit of a petty old man when it comes to these sort of things but DC really know how to piss me off. Two trades, released on the same day: Catwoman has the covers in all the right places, Resurrection Man? Covers all bunched together at the back.

Dicks.

It pisses me off too, but please don't gripe too loudly, it's a miracle they didn't cancel this before it came out like they do with so many others, and I don't want to ruin my dream of a day when I have a shelf full of the original run in TPB form :ohdear:

edit: VVVV All this is really disheartening (won't have a chance to grab my copy til tomorrow). I waited so long for this to get collected, and they cocked it up.

Sanschel fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Feb 4, 2012

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Wow, there are major problems with the new Resurrection Man trade. On one double page spread one page is an fairly low resolution image of the page blown up. We're talking low enough resolution that the text is unreadable. Later in the book there's a double page layout where the split the pages the wrong way making the scene just a jumble.

The whole thing is a major disappointment to me. I had been really looking forward to that collection.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

I've never read any of the Batman "No Man's Land" arcs. There seems to be a new set coming out which spreads out over three TPBs. It this set worth picking up? It's 500 pages each at only $20, which is a steal. This is the one I'm referring to. http://www.amazon.com/Batman-No-Mans-Land-Vol/dp/1401232280/ref=pd_bxgy_b_img_c

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

obi_ant posted:

I've never read any of the Batman "No Man's Land" arcs. There seems to be a new set coming out which spreads out over three TPBs. It this set worth picking up? It's 500 pages each at only $20, which is a steal. This is the one I'm referring to. http://www.amazon.com/Batman-No-Mans-Land-Vol/dp/1401232280/ref=pd_bxgy_b_img_c

I haven't bought it yet but we have it in the store. Looks pretty good but some of the stuff in the original trades appears to be left out and a few of the comics reprinted look like unimportant pages were skipped.

EvilMuppet
Jul 29, 2006

Good night catte thread, give them all many patts. I'm sorry,

obi_ant posted:

I bought it a few days ago. I haven't read it yet and probably won't until I finish the JLI TPB's I bought at the same time.

If there is anything specific you'd like to know without having to read the whole thing I'll answer what I can.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

EvilMuppet posted:

I bought it a few days ago. I haven't read it yet and probably won't until I finish the JLI TPB's I bought at the same time.

If there is anything specific you'd like to know without having to read the whole thing I'll answer what I can.

Nothing in particular. Just wondering if it was a good read since I always see the book in this used book store I frequent a lot. Also wondering if *that* particular book needed any supplementary material.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
I don't want to shock anyone, but Frank Miller's Daredevil is really good. I've had it sitting on my shelf for years because every time I open and read the McKenzie issues (with Miller just on art), it was really mediocre. But once Miller really hits his stride I can see why it gets so much praise.

Slayer1597
Nov 6, 2008

TREMENDOUS CHILD
ASK ME ABOUT MY ANIMES
Just picked up:

Bone : The One Volume Edition (Once I started reading this I can see why you guys love it so much)

Batman:Knightfall - Knightsend (sorry about before redbackground)

Batman and Robin : Dark Knight & White Knight.

I got The Killing Joke, and 3 volumes of No Mans Land on the way next.

I need a bigger shelf :(

Slayer1597 fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Feb 8, 2012

Jeremys Iron
Aug 18, 2006

"Now if you'll excuse me, it's 8 O'clock, Time to get Bizzay"
Well hey there thread, I'd dropped out of the OSHC/Omnibus game for a while to save pennies for a bunch of travelling (just picking up a few omnibuses and the annotated sandman and occasionally hearing OSHC-related news from regular posters in this thread who're also on Twitter) but the mere act of reading this thread has caused me to order the two hardcover TMNT collections and start planning on a bunch more stuff so thanks for that I guess.

Though it also made me realise that I completely missed the announcement of the Ultimate Spider-Man Omnibus - do we know how many of the OSHCs that'll collect? It'd be nice if they at least synchronised with the ones I have already.

I'm also considering ordering the second Fraction Iron Man OSHC but I'm slightly nervous that an omnibus might be around the corner - does anyone fancy pulling some predictions out of their arse on that one and persuading me either way?

Also this supposed reprint of the New X-Men omnibus is awesome news. Now we just need those Daredevil reprints and we're good to go!

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

StumblyWumbly posted:

I don't want to shock anyone, but Frank Miller's Daredevil is really good. I've had it sitting on my shelf for years because every time I open and read the McKenzie issues (with Miller just on art), it was really mediocre. But once Miller really hits his stride I can see why it gets so much praise.

Before he got on the title he was just a Spider-man rip off but blind. Miller made him the character he is today.

Shameless
Dec 22, 2004

We're all so ugly and stupid and doomed.

Jeremys Iron posted:

Though it also made me realise that I completely missed the announcement of the Ultimate Spider-Man Omnibus - do we know how many of the OSHCs that'll collect? It'd be nice if they at least synchronised with the ones I have already.

I'm pretty sure it collects the first three OSHCs. Issues 1-39 and the 1/2 issue.

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism

Jeremys Iron posted:

I'm also considering ordering the second Fraction Iron Man OSHC but I'm slightly nervous that an omnibus might be around the corner - does anyone fancy pulling some predictions out of their arse on that one and persuading me either way?

Personally I wouldn't expect a Fraction Iron Man omnibus considering how they're being collected in OSHC and if anything I think we'll see a Fraction Thor omnibus rather than an Iron Man one. If you're considering getting the second one them I assume you already have the first? I would just carry on reading it that way and not worry about the the potential likeliness of an omnibus

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.

Starsnostars posted:

Personally I wouldn't expect a Fraction Iron Man omnibus considering how they're being collected in OSHC and if anything I think we'll see a Fraction Thor omnibus rather than an Iron Man one. If you're considering getting the second one them I assume you already have the first? I would just carry on reading it that way and not worry about the the potential likeliness of an omnibus

Jeremys Iron collects the omnibus line, unless I'm misremembering.

Jeremys Iron
Aug 18, 2006

bairfanx posted:

Jeremys Iron collects the omnibus line, unless I'm misremembering.
Yeah I'm a very specific kind of money-wasting chump and have at least once re-bought stuff that I already had in paperback in omnibus format.

...I do read them though! It's not like they're kept in shrink-wrap in some misguided attempt at accruing a pension plan.

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.

Jeremys Iron posted:

Yeah I'm a very specific kind of money-wasting chump and have at least once re-bought stuff that I already had in paperback in omnibus format.

...I do read them though! It's not like they're kept in shrink-wrap in some misguided attempt at accruing a pension plan.

Nah, it's cool, I was just trying to put your somewhat strange question into perspective, especially because that Iron Man hardcover was originally listed as an omnibus, which I think was disappointing for the couple of you whose bookshelves buckle under the weight of those gigantic things (I suppose I do own two of them,and about 7-10 absolutes [depending on if you count stuff like Umbrella Academy] so I'm certainly not judging)

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

"Amala, I've got a chainsaw on my arm. I'll be fine."
I'm a guy who really likes seeing pictures of books before I buy them, especially expensive ones. A friend asked me to snap some pictures of Bone 20th anniversary hardcover before he bought it. I figure I might as well share them with you guys. In case any of you are unsure.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Jeremys Iron posted:

I do read them though! It's not like they're kept in shrink-wrap in some misguided attempt at accruing a pension plan.

Hey, my copies of Alias and New X-Men are gonna buy me a house.

JackDarko posted:

I'm a guy who really likes seeing pictures of books before I buy them, especially expensive ones. A friend asked me to snap some pictures of Bone 20th anniversary hardcover before he bought it. I figure I might as well share them with you guys. In case any of you are unsure.

I feel like the only person who likes the black and white version of the story. Keeping those tpbs forever... Still, that looks nice.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

New X-Men is about to get reprinted.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

They've BEEN re-printed haven't they? Omnibus to the three book "Ultimate Collections" trade, and they're coming out with the same omnibus soon.

Jeremys Iron
Aug 18, 2006

obi_ant posted:

They've BEEN re-printed haven't they? Omnibus to the three book "Ultimate Collections" trade, and they're coming out with the same omnibus soon.
The omnibus is available for pre-order at a few places now. Hopefully we see some more reprints, I'm still short of some Daredevil omnibuses and the second Fantastic Four omnibus (which may get a reprint if/when Fox release the film they've been threatening to make to keep the rights to the franchise).

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism
I'd love an Alias reprint, hopefully we'll get one when/if the tv show happens.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Starsnostars posted:

I'd love an Alias reprint, hopefully we'll get one when/if the tv show happens.

I doubt it since the trades are out.

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism

bobkatt013 posted:

I doubt it since the trades are out.

You can get still New X-Men ultimate collections and they were reprinted in those tiny little editions but we're still getting an omnibus reprint.

Slayer1597
Nov 6, 2008

TREMENDOUS CHILD
ASK ME ABOUT MY ANIMES

Uthor posted:

Hey, my copies of Alias and New X-Men are gonna buy me a house.

I feel like the only person who likes the black and white version of the story. Keeping those tpbs forever... Still, that looks nice.

I am reading the B&W version, but I have a question, I am not finished reading the story yet, but I was wondering, is this story still going?

I noticed there is like a book titled Quest for the Spark or something to that effect.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Bone is over. There were a couple of one off issues after either written or drawn by Jeff Smith. Quest for the Spark is a novel written by someone else with illustrations by Smith.

Slayer1597
Nov 6, 2008

TREMENDOUS CHILD
ASK ME ABOUT MY ANIMES

Uthor posted:

Bone is over. There were a couple of one off issues after either written or drawn by Jeff Smith. Quest for the Spark is a novel written by someone else with illustrations by Smith.

That kinda makes me sad to hear. It is a very good story. Thanks for the Info.

Is Quest for the Spark any good, has anyone here read it?

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Slayer1597 posted:

That kinda makes me sad to hear. It is a very good story. Thanks for the Info.

Is Quest for the Spark any good, has anyone here read it?

I don't know about that but I would recommend Rose which was a short prequel written by Smith and drawn by the always incredible Charles Vess.

Slayer1597
Nov 6, 2008

TREMENDOUS CHILD
ASK ME ABOUT MY ANIMES
I ended up cancelling my volumes of No Man's Land, because I guess they are re-doing them and re-releasing them in April, so I decided to just wait and pick up the whole series at once.

But I did get Batman : Gothic, and the Ressurection of Ras al Ghul.

They are both Morrison stories so I figured I couldn't go wrong.

Oh, and I picked up a copy of Final Crisis, because I was interested as to what actually happened to Batman before all the books that I read. :)

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Slayer1597 posted:

I ended up cancelling my volumes of No Man's Land, because I guess they are re-doing them and re-releasing them in April, so I decided to just wait and pick up the whole series at once.

Are you talking about this Here? Because the other volumes aren't out until April.

Slayer1597
Nov 6, 2008

TREMENDOUS CHILD
ASK ME ABOUT MY ANIMES

obi_ant posted:

Are you talking about this Here? Because the other volumes aren't out until April.

yeah I apparently ordered the 1-3 but when i was looking over their "catalogue" I noticed a No mans Land number 5 but no four, and thats when I realized they had the First Volume listed as a No Mans Land (New) as opposed to the one that I ordered.

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.

Slayer1597 posted:

But I did get Batman : Gothic, and the Ressurection of Ras al Ghul.

They are both Morrison stories so I figured I couldn't go wrong.

Oh, and I picked up a copy of Final Crisis, because I was interested as to what actually happened to Batman before all the books that I read. :)

Good luck with Resurrection. It's a Morrison story in that Morrison wrote a few parts of it, as it spanned all the batbooks at the time, but it's certainly not bad.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
:woop::woop::woop::woop::woop::woop::woop:
Avengers Omnibus comes out this week!

Fight My Dad!
Mar 9, 2008

I wish I had Paul Newman's eyes
That would be nice.
Anyone in this thread on GoodReads? I want to use it to find more good books, but I don't know enough comicpeople to follow.

Shameless
Dec 22, 2004

Yay!!

quote:

HELLBOY LIBRARY EDITION VOLUME 5 HC

Mike Mignola (W/Cover), Duncan Fegredo (A), and Dave Stewart (C)

On sale July 11
FC, 408 pages
$49.99
HC, 9" x 12"

Hellboy has racked up multiple Eisner Awards, numerous spinoffs, a novel line, video games, cartoons, and two feature films. Hellboy Library Volume 5 collects two complete trade paperbacks, Darkness Calls and The Wild Hunt; the short story The Mole; and an extensive selection of previously unreleased sketches and designs.

Jeremys Iron
Aug 18, 2006

Shameless posted:

Yay!!
Awesome news - I also appreciate how much cheaper and yet still very nice the Hellboy Library books are compared to omnibuses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shameless
Dec 22, 2004

Jeremys Iron posted:

Awesome news - I also appreciate how much cheaper and yet still very nice the Hellboy Library books are compared to omnibuses.

Absolutely agree, for both production quality and value for money they cannot be beaten.