Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bicehunter
Jul 8, 2010

Polo-Rican posted:

So how many n-bombs will have to be dropped before they hire some QA guys? Ten more? A hundred?

Do you think they'd dare release an "official release" that might have a hidden n-bomb??

But quirky indie-charm?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Mojang is really trying hard to mask any competence it has.

Schwarzwald fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Mar 3, 2012

tinaun
Jun 9, 2011

tell me...
this is what jeb has to say about the racist language:

jeb_ posted:

Yeah a cat crash bug and bad language again.
I'm not so annoyed that the language was griefed again. That's kind of expected. However, I'm really annoyed at the translation tool, Crowdin. The thing is, Crowdin has an "activity monitor" that lists all changes done by users.
This "activity monitor" doesn't seem to work properly. Before I updated the language files, I went through the monitor and manually checked each and every suggested translation, and they all looked fine (as far as I could tell). I don't understand how the erronous translations bypassed the monitor, but it was quite annoying and I've emailed Crowdin about it.
Also, I've asked Crowdin for a "cascade ban" function. I want to be able to ban a user, and ALL users that have upvoted that user's translations. Obviously I would only use this function on the really bad translations (the ones where it's obvious that you are trolling).

In other news, finally, finally mineshafts that cross ravines generate a base, not just stay floating in mid air.
edit: creepers are scared of cats now :3:

tinaun fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Feb 2, 2012

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

tinaun posted:

this is what jeb has to say about the racist language:

A) Minecraft sold 9,041 copies today at ~$20 a pop.

B) Professional translation companies exist.

Does anyone know how A+B = "Use the community to do a bunch of lovely translations for our multi million dollar revenue game"?

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     
$30

Willie Trombone
Feb 13, 2004

tinaun posted:

In other news, finally, finally mineshafts that cross ravines generate a base, not just stay floating in mid air.

Wouldn't it make more sense (and be easier) the other way around, that ravines completely erode through mineshafts so that it's just a gap in the mineshaft? Or are the mineshafts not supposed to be that old despite being completely decrepit and overrun with monsters?

Farside
Aug 11, 2002
I love my Commodore 64

Willie Trombone posted:

Wouldn't it make more sense (and be easier) the other way around, that ravines completely erode through mineshafts so that it's just a gap in the mineshaft? Or are the mineshafts not supposed to be that old despite being completely decrepit and overrun with monsters?

Considering this is not a realistic game so take this with a grain of salt...
I would say that ravines are older in terms of taking decades or centuries to erode / form. Anyone mining would have to build a bridge / platform to continue mining on the opposite side. So in my eyes it makes sense.

Jesto
Dec 22, 2004

Balls.
Nevermind.

Jesto fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Oct 1, 2014

Willie Trombone
Feb 13, 2004

Farside posted:

Considering this is not a realistic game so take this with a grain of salt...
I would say that ravines are older in terms of taking decades or centuries to erode / form. Anyone mining would have to build a bridge / platform to continue mining on the opposite side. So in my eyes it makes sense.

I guess I just assumed that they and the strongholds were supposed to be made by some extremely ancient and now-extinct species given that there's nothing in the game with AI near good enough for it to make sense that they constructed it. Especially with the strongholds, with the way they were incomplete in so many places to begin with despite being constructed completely out of "non-natural" materials, it seemed obvious to me that they were supposed to be so old that the stone brick itself was falling apart due to erosion... I guess not.

Edit: Minecraft has sold approximately 4,833,540 copies, probably near an average price of $20 per so far, for a total of $96,670,800 so far. At 10000 copies per day he'll hit $100,000,000 in two weeks, at 4000 copies per day he'll hit that in early March.

Willie Trombone fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Feb 2, 2012

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

I'm not clear here, why would you use a professional translation company when your fans are dumb enough to both keep buying your overpriced game and do the work for you for free?

Personally I'd buy a few more nice cars

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

Jesto posted:

Sorry, I haven't checked up on Minecraft for a while, but from skimming the past few pages I see that Notch has had the community provide translations for his game out of the kindness of their hearts?

Which is to say, they're doing work for him and he isn't paying them a cent? :psyduck:

Does he have some allergic reaction to giving away any of his money? No one entertaining at Minecon was given any payment or even travel compensation either. It seems strange to rely on your community when you're no longer a struggling indie game, but have your own convention, a game that sells for $30, more millions than you know what to do with and Lego offering to make a set based around your game.

In the past 24 hours 9,003 people have bought the game. $270,090 in 24 hours. Which means, assuming today isn't special and that's the average daily registration number, $2.7 million in 10 days. Which means in a year, $98,582,850? :stare:

Oh god. So much money. I'm doing the math wrong, aren't I? Or that daily number is going to drop down to one or two hundred in a couple weeks, right?

He seems to avoid paying anyone money as much as possible while also spending a lot on himself. The money he pays the developers he hires is apparently laughably low and not up for negotiation. Also the whole refusal to pay anyone anything for minecon while also charging for admittance.

Fauntleroy
May 8, 2007

I am a song!

Is there some sort of hub website out there that has a list/download links of good Adventure style custom maps? I've been stuck googling for stuff and most of it is just utter poo poo.

I'm not asking for much here just proofread your drat txt files, goddamn.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

tinaun posted:

edit: creepers are scared of cats now :3:

That's hilarious. How does that work, exactly?

Roy
Sep 24, 2007
Honestly it's not suprising that people grief when you crowdsource transalations for a million dollar franchise without paying people. Heck, people grief even when they do get paid, like with the famous Fanta Goatse.

This is a pretty good article on industrial sabotage and why it happens. When you strip away people's creative freedom and don't give them adequate compansation they stop caring.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Mulefisk posted:

This is a pretty good article on industrial sabotage and why it happens. When you strip away people's creative freedom and don't give them adequate compansation they stop caring.

That is some in-depth analysis for a hidden goatse joke.

gay devil
Aug 20, 2009

Siljmonster posted:

New snapshot is out guys it fixes all the ra

Hahaha the lack of proper testing has always been apparent but this just makes it blatantly obvious that they don't check any additions into the game, even if they come from strangers

Lacermonia
May 15, 2002

Mind Spew posted:

Hahaha the lack of proper testing has always been apparent but this just makes it blatantly obvious that they don't check any additions into the game, even if they come from strangers

Well no they did check. I think the reason they missed it is probably because of the hyphen, the most racist punctuation.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Seriously, did no-one think to check it by hand? How many lines of text can it possibly be? A few hundred? A thousand? An hour or two's worth of work, if you're fiddly about it. I'd do that for a sandwich.

The sensible thing to do with something like this is to pull down their entire crowd-sourcing translation system and just hand it the gently caress over to some professionals, but nope, there they go, charging blindly ahead.

gay devil
Aug 20, 2009

SNOT CORN posted:

Well no they did check. I think the reason they missed it is probably because of the hyphen, the most racist punctuation.

The game is not very heavy on text, hitting ctrl+f does not count as properly checking things that you are getting from random people and putting into a multi-million dollar game.

Estel
May 4, 2010

Estel posted:

My house is now a fort:

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug

Death Himself posted:

He seems to avoid paying anyone money as much as possible while also spending a lot on himself. The money he pays the developers he hires is apparently laughably low and not up for negotiation. Also the whole refusal to pay anyone anything for minecon while also charging for admittance.

The more I hear about Notch the more he sounds exactly like Thierry from Exit Behind The Gift Shop. Except with indie games not post modern art.

ItalicSquirrels
Feb 15, 2007

What?

Estel posted:

My house is now a fort:

Very nicely done, dude! Looks pretty cool. How do you deal with what appears to be a lack of storage space?

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Allen Wren posted:

Seriously, did no-one think to check it by hand? How many lines of text can it possibly be? A few hundred? A thousand? An hour or two's worth of work, if you're fiddly about it. I'd do that for a sandwich.

Well, obviously sandwiches are much too expensive for Notch's tastes. After all, when you have a legion of crazed fans who follow your every tweet as the word of god, then exploiting them for free labor is obviously the best choice. :mmmsmug:

Estel
May 4, 2010

ItalicSquirrels posted:

Very nicely done, dude! Looks pretty cool. How do you deal with what appears to be a lack of storage space?

Inside the house i have a chest but probably I'm going to build a storage hanging below the pigpen.

Coleman
May 5, 2011

This just in: Beverly Hills 90210, Cleveland Browns 3.

Schwarzwald posted:

That's hilarious. How does that work, exactly?
That's the greatest thing ever. I will be bringing an army of cats with me at all times.

Also it looks like if they go anywhere near one, they just instantly turn around and leave. I was playing in creative mode, spawn creeper, punch him, he didn't even hiss, he just runs.

Locus
Feb 28, 2004

But you were dead a thousand times. Hopeless encounters successfully won.
Ok now I like the way development is going. I was pissed off at cats even though I kind of like them in real life, just because it's already been done a million times with mods and I hate how pets are in this game. But... creepers being afraid of cats is brilliant.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Yeah, I was kind of worried about how useless cats were in the game, but scaring away creepers... that's awesome.

It's great because Creepers are the only mob dangerous during the day. Now if you have a well lit yard with cats in it, no hostile mobs can reach you during the day. Leaving a cat outside your front door will assure no morning creeper ambushes and be adorable. I'm pretty happy with it.

Mind Spew posted:

Did you miss this because it was in quotes? Let's repost it:

jeb_ posted:

Yeah a cat crash bug and bad language again.
I'm not so annoyed that the language was griefed again. That's kind of expected. However, I'm really annoyed at the translation tool, Crowdin. The thing is, Crowdin has an "activity monitor" that lists all changes done by users.
This "activity monitor" doesn't seem to work properly. Before I updated the language files, I went through the monitor and manually checked each and every suggested translation, and they all looked fine (as far as I could tell). I don't understand how the erronous translations bypassed the monitor, but it was quite annoying and I've emailed Crowdin about it.
Also, I've asked Crowdin for a "cascade ban" function. I want to be able to ban a user, and ALL users that have upvoted that user's translations. Obviously I would only use this function on the really bad translations (the ones where it's obvious that you are trolling).

Colonel J
Jan 3, 2008
It appears that the Testificates now try and claim a house as their own.

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

Estel posted:

My house is now a fort:

Nice little castle, dude! I've been making a couple small castles myself and was thinking of starting a little competition, actually. I would love to see who can cram the most stuff into the smallest space (specifically 16x16 -- up to 18x18 for greebles) with the most character.

Anyway, here are mine:

The first is a pretty classically styled castle.

Here's the top-down view, it's pretty simple.

It's got a house,

...Which of course is fully furnished.

And a farm.

And animals.

A parapet from which to defend against intruders.

And a goddam wizard's tower! duh!

My second castle isn't really a castle, however. I decided to go with a more Islamic influence and have it completely open.

What's this then? Stairs?

Ooooh! funky!

Yes, it's like some sort of underground altar/throneroom.

In fact, it's a nether-portal!

So yeah, there's some castles. I highly recommend some of you guys try the same with my parameters, it's pretty darn fun.

edit: oh yeah, the texture pack i'm using is the Eld Pack

Fayez Butts fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Feb 2, 2012

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Awesome stuff, Fayez!

I almost know the answer, but did you plan it beforehand? If so, what did you use? Paint?

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
Those are some nice structures!

Still waiting on the motherboard to arrive. The time window for receiving packages today is pretty much closed. Maybe next week :(

Akito12345
Apr 29, 2010

:duane:
I was bored a few days ago so I made a video of me doing a terrible Carl Sagan impersonation talking about Minecraft.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZpSy_zyA4k

Pumpking
Oct 27, 2007

Who is number 1?
Love seeing peoples creations. I've been making a small fort myself out of bricks, with a forge/armory, kitchen and stables. I might post it when its done if I remember.

Willie Trombone
Feb 13, 2004

I'm not about to go fight an ender dragon to find out, but do each of these translations also include a translation of the ending text? If it turns out that the reason they can't screen translations manually is because the lovely ending makes the amount of text in the game unmanageably long, I don't think I'll be able to find anything else funny ever again.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Even if the End "poem" is (too) long, it's still not long enough to be a hassle to check.
Especially for a professional translator.

Space Kablooey fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Feb 3, 2012

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
It's less than 1500 words, a competent translator could manage it in an afternoon, especially since it's not like the text has any actual meaning that must be kept in order for everything to make sense.

Willie Trombone
Feb 13, 2004

I guess instead of "they" I should have said "Jeb" since he's trying to screen everything himself. Of course a "professional translator" or a "competent translator" could translate or check a translation of the end text very quickly, but they seem to have settled on decisively not that approach.

If it weren't for the ending, it would be plausible for a single person to check everything in a day before release just by using an automated translator to put it into a language they're fluent in and just check that it's close enough/obscenity-free. With the ending, doing that would probably take up more than half of Jeb's work hours between snapshot releases.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Yet another reason to remove it from the game entirely.

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

Why does the most successful independent game in the history of gaming have one lone dude working on it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Willie Trombone posted:

Of course a "professional translator" or a "competent translator" could translate or check a translation of the end text very quickly, but they seem to have settled on decisively not that approach.

Most professional translators don't speak all 50 or however many languages they have for Minecraft now.