Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb

Greedish posted:

Why would you put BF3 on an SSD? You still have to wait for everyone else to load after you load super-fast.

Because you get disconnected from EA online like every 10 minutes and it re-joins faster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
Yeah or you're joining a server already in progress. The load time decrease is so substantial that if you play BF3 a lot and you have the space on your SSD it's a no brainer.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

fletcher posted:

Because you get disconnected from EA online like every 10 minutes and it re-joins faster.

My mechanical would sometimes load me after a round started, after being on the SSD I always make it in time before round start (Mechanical would sometimes load me off at 10s before if I was lucky).

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

:canada: $20-$40 MIR for the larger Corsair Force GTs (and possibly other models) from ncix.com and tigerdirect.ca.

univbee fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Feb 2, 2012

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Tom's Hardware put up some benchmarks to try to answer the question of SATA 3.0 vs 6.0

While some of the synthetics ended up looking like this:

In the real world, they ended up with results like these:

While the Windows Boot and Steam Backup aren't the most disk-intensive tasks, the File Copy test of course is. Moral of the story is buy the cheapest or most reliable drive. The Intel 320 on the 3gb/s port was the slowest drive in the benchmarks but beats all the drives except one in the Windows boot test. And in the Steam copy test, there's a whopping 6-second difference between the first and last place SSD

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

Bob Morales posted:

While the Windows Boot and Steam Backup aren't the most disk-intensive tasks, the File Copy test of course is. Moral of the story is buy the cheapest or most reliable drive. The Intel 320 on the 3gb/s port was the slowest drive in the benchmarks but beats all the drives except one in the Windows boot test. And in the Steam copy test, there's a whopping 6-second difference between the first and last place SSD
You can't really generalize the results of those tests, since they're only of one capacity point per drive and are meant to show off the performance differences between SATA300 and SATA600, not the differences between drives. The Intel drive only came as close as it did to the others because they used a much larger, more expensive model.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Alereon posted:

You can't really generalize the results of those tests, since they're only of one capacity point per drive and are meant to show off the performance differences between SATA300 and SATA600, not the differences between drives. The Intel drive only came as close as it did to the others because they used a much larger, more expensive model.

True, but what would have been the point of testing 3.0 vs 60 with a 40GB or 80GB Intel drive? Does Intel make a 6.0 drive that small?

Disgustipated
Jul 28, 2003

Black metal ist krieg

Bob Morales posted:

True, but what would have been the point of testing 3.0 vs 60 with a 40GB or 80GB Intel drive? Does Intel make a 6.0 drive that small?
The Intel 320 drives aren't SATA III, you have to go to the 510 series to get SATA III.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib

Disgustipated posted:

The Intel 320 drives aren't SATA III, you have to go to the 510 series to get SATA III.

It wasn't a matter of testing SATA III drives, so much as performance when plugged into a SATA III port. It's not completely out of the question to see possible performance improvements. I mean, my USB 3.0 flash drive is noticeably faster than a USB 2.0 drive, even when plugged into the same USB 2.0 port

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice
The Tech Report has published an SSD round-up covering the Corsair Force 3, Force GT, Crucial M4, and Intel SSD 320 at three major capacity points each. Since most SSD round-ups only test drives at one size, this is an excellent resource.

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

Do you see this? This means "Have a nice day".
I just picked up my first SSD, an 80GB intel 320-series. It's going to go into my laptop, I'll just do a fresh win7 install on it. Prior to that, I'd like to make sure that it has the latest firmware.

I have a SATA to USB 3 dock on my desktop PC. Should that work fine with intel's SSD toolbox software? Or should I just stop being lazy and plug it directly in via SATA?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Disgustipated posted:

Are those the same as the M3 or M4? The 510 uses a Marvell chipset, I think they were trying to show one drive of each controller.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Civil posted:

I just picked up my first SSD, an 80GB intel 320-series. It's going to go into my laptop, I'll just do a fresh win7 install on it. Prior to that, I'd like to make sure that it has the latest firmware.

I have a SATA to USB 3 dock on my desktop PC. Should that work fine with intel's SSD toolbox software? Or should I just stop being lazy and plug it directly in via SATA?
I think you need to use SATA. Well at least you don't have a Mac mini, I should do the eSATA mod on one of mine these days just for drive maintenance crap.

Bob Morales posted:

Are those the same as the M3 or M4? The 510 uses a Marvell chipset, I think they were trying to show one drive of each controller.
Pretty sure Intel has their own firmware, no clue about the actual chips though.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

japtor posted:

Pretty sure Intel has their own firmware, no clue about the actual chips though.

The Intel 510 uses the Marvell 9174 according to the web, Corsair P4 and Crucial C400 use the same one.

quote:

Yes, this means we lose some of the nuances that surface as a result of switching between asynchronous ONFi, synchronous ONFi, and Toggle DDR memory, along with the vendor-specific tweaks that sometimes find their way into firmware releases. In the grand scheme of things, though, we're more concerned about general drive behavior than a few MB/s here or there.

Erdricks
Sep 8, 2005

There's nothing refreshing like a sauna!
Patriot PP120GS25SSDR Pyro 2.5" Solid State Drive - 120GB, SATA III 6Gb/s

This drive is $115 after MIR. Anyone have an idea on how reliable Patriot drives are?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Erdricks posted:

Patriot PP120GS25SSDR Pyro 2.5" Solid State Drive - 120GB, SATA III 6Gb/s

This drive is $115 after MIR. Anyone have an idea on how reliable Patriot drives are?

It's a SF-2281 drive, but for some reason it's slower compared to the competition. Maybe they have a newer firmware that improves it.

http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/patriot_pyro/

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

I've done partition alignment for HD to SSD cloning, but if you are cloning from SSD to SSD of the same size can you just use Clonezilla or something?

Pussy Gaz0re
Nov 18, 2011

Erdricks posted:

I had two patriot torx.

Both died in less than 6 months - at least the warranty is 5 years but after the scond death i sold it and went intel and then corsair force GT.

Erdricks
Sep 8, 2005

There's nothing refreshing like a sauna!

Pussy Gaz0re posted:

I had two patriot torx.

Both died in less than 6 months - at least the warranty is 5 years but after the scond death i sold it and went intel and then corsair force GT.

Nuff said. I'll keep an eye out for deals on the corsair / crucial / intel / sammy disks

dud root
Mar 30, 2008
My own 2cents- Im using the Patriot Wildfire 240Gb, the slightly faster version of the Pyro, and its been rock solid after the latest firmware (like all other SF-2281 drives)

Vector 7
Sep 29, 2010

gently caress it all. I'm just going to do a clean installation and spend a couple days getting all the programs I use reinstalled.

It absolutely blows my mind that this is so difficult. I'd of thought someone somewhere would of created a simple, easy to use solution.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Vector 7 posted:

gently caress it all. I'm just going to do a clean installation and spend a couple days getting all the programs I use reinstalled.

It absolutely blows my mind that this is so difficult. I'd of thought someone somewhere would of created a simple, easy to use solution.

Assuming you mean upgrading to a SSD. Use Acronis trial. Clone your drive.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Here's a little tip for after you clone your drive. The SSD usually winds up with a drive letter other than C: even if you set it as the boot device in your BIOS. If you try to change the system drive letter with the Disk Management console you not be allowed to, and if you change the old system drive letter to something other than C: in Disk Management it fucks everything up.

So you have to use the registry to fix the boot drive letter:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/223188

Works on Windows 7, I did it last night after cloning with Ghost.

edit: Also a tip on how to enable AHCI on a system that was installed without it on.

quote:

To resolve this issue, enable the AHCI driver in the registry before you change the SATA mode of the boot drive. To do this, follow these steps:

Exit all Windows-based programs.
Click Start, type regedit in the Start Search box, and then press ENTER.
If you receive the User Account Control dialog box, click Continue.
Locate and then click the following registry subkey:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESystemCurrentControlSetServicesMsahci

In the right pane, right-click Start in the Name column, and then click Modify.
In the Value data box, type 0, and then click OK.
On the File menu, click Exit to close Registry Editor.
After this you’ll have to restart your computer, go to BIOS and enable AHCI. When you log in to Windows again, you’ll notice the installation of drivers for AHCI. Another restart will be required to finish the driver installation.

Syrinxx fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Feb 3, 2012

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva

redeyes posted:

I used Disk Director when I cloned my OS install to the SSD. Worked perfectly, although I did move the other partition off the HDD first to get it under the SSD's available space.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

EDIT: Son of a bitch, wrong thread.

SpaceRangerJoe
Dec 24, 2003

The little hand says it's time to rock and roll.
I bought an OCZ Vertex 3 240GB a few weeks ago when they had a rebate going. It replaced a 600GB Raptor that had died. The reviews of it had been pretty good, but I wanted to ask here if I should feel bad for not getting something else.

The board I have right now doesn't actually support AHCI as far as I can tell, and only has SATA 3.0gb, so I know performance isn't the best. Hopefully I'll do whatever the new intel chip is this summer and reformat which will help performance a lot. It doesn't feel much faster, but it is kind of nice to not hear that drive whining all the time.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib

OP posted:

Do not buy OCZ drives, they are not reliable.

OP posted:

OCZ drives are known for being defective and failing at higher-than-normal rates, with about twice the return rate of other brands for similar products.

They are the worst of the major manufacturers of SSDs. For the utmost in reliability, Intel is tops. For overall value, the Corsair Force 3, or Crucial M4 are the best.

SpaceRangerJoe
Dec 24, 2003

Welp, I guess it's a good time to figure out how I want to run backups.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.

SpaceRangerJoe posted:

The board I have right now doesn't actually support AHCI as far as I can tell, and only has SATA 3.0gb

Either that's the 100% shittiest motherboard/BIOS in the world, or you're overlooking something. AHCI is a de facto standard. What's the specific motherboard?

dud root
Mar 30, 2008
Yeah look for where its set to IDE, if it has other options like RAID, then the 3rd should be AHCI but it might be named differently like "Enhanced"

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

unpronounceable posted:

They are the worst of the major manufacturers of SSDs. For the utmost in reliability, Intel is tops. For overall value, the Corsair Force 3, or Crucial M4 are the best.

I installed an Intel 320 120GB drive in my wifes computer about uh, 3-4 months ago. Hasn't rebooted since. The drive is solid in my opinion.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

Factory Factory posted:

Either that's the 100% shittiest motherboard/BIOS in the world, or you're overlooking something. AHCI is a de facto standard. What's the specific motherboard?
Sadly they sold a LOT of motherboards without AHCI support at the end of LGA775's lifespan. The entire Intel ICH7 lineup had no AHCI support, and the base versions of the ICH8 and ICH9 southbridges didn't support it either. Intel LOVES segmenting products by disabling features that should be present across a lineup.

SpaceRangerJoe
Dec 24, 2003

It's an ASUS P5N-E SLI. It's getting a bit old, but the lack of AHCI is still pretty bad. At least I have a (probably) crappy SSD to go with my sub-par motherboard.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.

SpaceRangerJoe posted:

It's an ASUS P5N-E SLI. It's getting a bit old, but the lack of AHCI is still pretty bad. At least I have a (probably) crappy SSD to go with my sub-par motherboard.

Welp. I didn't know about that.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

Factory Factory posted:

Welp. I didn't know about that.
Just think, in a few years we'll finally be rid of nVidia's half-assed attempts at making chipsets!

Vector 7
Sep 29, 2010

redeyes posted:

Syrinxx posted:

Here's a little tip for after you clone your drive. The SSD usually winds up with a drive letter other than C: even if you set it as the boot device in your BIOS. If you try to change the system drive letter with the Disk Management console you not be allowed to, and if you change the old system drive letter to something other than C: in Disk Management it fucks everything up.

So you have to use the registry to fix the boot drive letter:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/223188

Works on Windows 7, I did it last night after cloning with Ghost.

edit: Also a tip on how to enable AHCI on a system that was installed without it on.

Acronis Migrate Easy? Is that the one?

Edit: Assuming that Migrate Easy is the one I want, is the "automatic" setting sufficient, or are there some things I need to tweak in manual mode?

Vector 7 fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Feb 4, 2012

Vector 7
Sep 29, 2010

How does that even work, anyway? Isn't the registry a file on the drive? Do I need to log onto the drive I cloned to and then edit the registry from there? So I:

Clone the drive
Edit the boot order in the BIOS
Boot into the D drive (The SSD, which is still getting all the C: information from the old drive)
Change the registry
Restart

Is that the general idea?

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Oh Bambi, I cried so hard when those hunters shot your mommy...
I finally got around to replacing my 64GB OCZ Vetrex 3 with a 128GB Crucial M4 that I bought in early January (needed to pick up a 5.25" hard drive rack because the Crucial didn't come with a 3.5" bracket and the HD locations in the Silverstone Raven aren't the greatest for SSDs) The OCZ decided to give me one last 'gently caress you' as part of the covering for the SATA power connector broke when I went to plug it in.

Bitch Stewie
Dec 17, 2011
If I'm dropping a 600gb Intel 320 into a server where it's going to do a lot of random writes, is there any need/benefit to not partition it so the full capacity is available?

I've been warned about "write amplification".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon

Bitch Stewie posted:

If I'm dropping a 600gb Intel 320 into a server where it's going to do a lot of random writes, is there any need/benefit to not partition it so the full capacity is available?

I've been warned about "write amplification".
Generally for servers that do a lot of IO you'd want an SLC like the X25M or the Intel 700 series SSDs. They're more expensive but have a lot more redundant flash capacity than desktop drives. That being said if you're mirroring it then gently caress it, go cheap.

• Locked thread