Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Sophia posted:

So I'm always looking forward to them cutting stuff out. :) Until they get to the fourth book and they have to start cutting out everything because GRRM doesn't have a story anymore.

This is like three years away but if they don't just cram AFfC and ADwD into one giant "gently caress off" season of "bleh" they then really don't have any brains. I seriously don't see why you couldn't do that. Hell, just devote one episode a piece to like 2-3 characters and then save the last 3 of the season for Dany making GBS threads water and you could get the vast majority of stuff in with no real loss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sophia
Apr 16, 2003

The heart wants what the heart wants.

mind the walrus posted:

This is like three years away but if they don't just cram AFfC and ADwD into one giant "gently caress off" season of "bleh" they then really don't have any brains. I seriously don't see why you couldn't do that. Hell, just devote one episode a piece to like 2-3 characters and then save the last 3 of the season for Dany making GBS threads water and you could get the vast majority of stuff in with no real loss.

Honestly what I think will happen (assuming the show stays fairly popular) is they'll do either 4 or 5 seasons total. In my dream, in the first scenario book 3 would have a season and a quarter / half, with Dany's / Jon's / Arya's stories getting majorly accelerated over the next two seasons, and then they write the back half of it to skip everything else that happens in the rest of the books and converge all of the storylines in King's Landing as the books should have done in book 4 instead of keeping everyone on different continents. That way they can wrap up the show and finish it as a whole story.

In the second scenario it's the same thing except they take a whole season to do the wrap-up.

I can't imagine the show goes more than 5 seasons (4 being more likely), and the third book is so dense with story, that I think this is the perfect way to do it. GRRM's first book was a fairly cohesive novel, with a plot that made sense and was self-contained, even as he left future threads hanging. It could be used basically as is as a TV season because introduced a bunch of disparate characters and slowly brought them into connection with each other. As book 2 starts, he loses that and starts to spread people out instead of working on ways of bringing them together as he should for a TV narrative. There's still a story, but it's going the wrong direction because this book series is going to be 800 books long. I'm hoping they majorly chop it up and move things around to give the story more momentum towards the ending.

By book 4 he's just farting around in the weeds and has no story or cohesion or anything.

Edit: Of course if they do it this way (in my mind you make Braavos about an episode long, you get rid of the whole Dorne subplot, Dany runs through wherever the hell she is before the end of the third season and is making plans to go to Westeros) I'm sure that people will be howling about not being true to the original so I'm sure this is a pipe dream.

Sophia fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Feb 2, 2012

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Well they've already said that if they get greenlit for a third season they're going to split Book 3 into two halves, which is fine as there's easily enough awesome poo poo that could be fleshed out.

Which is why I don't see why they couldn't take the relatively glacial pace of AFfC and ADwD and basically make it an "unconventional bridge" season.

Again the idea is simple:

1 episode for the first 7 or so episodes focuses on 1-2 major characters and what they're up to. Other characters show up as their stories progress and have relevance but for the most part it ties itself to Davos or Brienne or Bran and moves through their plotline relatively quickly.

2. The final 5 episodes and especially the final 3 begin tying the narratives together and bringing the season to a "conclusion" as we find that Tyrion is outside Mereen and Dany is making GBS threads water and Jon is dead and all that poo poo.

You honestly wouldn't lose out on much, as there are very few co-current events that would need to be interwoven for dramatic context.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

They should just film it as if the five year gap happened after all.

Stay Safe
Sep 1, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Sophia posted:

By book 4 he's just farting around in the weeds...

Just want to point out that if anyone thinks this is a metaphor, well, let's just say it happens more often than you think.

Edit: Also looking forward to Brienne-centric episodes

Also, as far as portraying Dany, I don't think they would focus on that much after she claims Mereen as her throne. The chapters of Dany are about her fantasizing during court procedures save for the guy with his child's bones.

Stay Safe fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Feb 2, 2012

Sophia
Apr 16, 2003

The heart wants what the heart wants.

mind the walrus posted:

Which is why I don't see why they couldn't take the relatively glacial pace of AFfC and ADwD and basically make it an "unconventional bridge" season.

I agree with you that it could be done, but the major issue is that, like I said, I doubt this thing goes more than 5 seasons (at the very outside) and if you split book 3 into two seasons that doesn't leave any room for a bridge season if you want to actually finish the story.

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

No man has need of candles when the Sun awaits him.

Dead Man Posting posted:

Also looking forward to Brienne-centric episodes
I can't wait for the Victarion- and Jon Connington-centric ones. :allears: I pray to R'hllor that Grey's Anatomy will be finally, mercifully canceled by then so they can cast Kevin McKidd (of Rome and Journeyman fame) as the latter.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Junkenstein posted:

They should just film it as if the five year gap happened after all.

Be hard to do that without changing actors for the younger kids. And Arya's actress owns so I don't like that idea.

But yeah they need to compress the gently caress out of AFFC/ADWD.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Sophia posted:

I agree with you that it could be done, but the major issue is that, like I said, I doubt this thing goes more than 5 seasons (at the very outside) and if you split book 3 into two seasons that doesn't leave any room for a bridge season if you want to actually finish the story.

I can agree to disagree. There are many years before such events would come to pass and for all we know popularity will take a nosedive this season and the whole thing will get canceled.

Any bets on how much gratuitous nudity there's going to be? Not to go all can-of-worms with the old sexism bit, but I don't recall much in ACoK that would need visual "spicing up" the way the walls of exposition in AGoT did.

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

IRQ posted:

Be hard to do that without changing actors for the younger kids. And Arya's actress owns so I don't like that idea.
They could age her with makeup, à la Brad Pitt in Benjamin Button. Though it might end up looking more like the epilogue to Deathly Hallows part II.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

IRQ posted:

Be hard to do that without changing actors for the younger kids.

Not really, seeing as people ask every week in the TVIV threads about what they're going to do about the child actors aging too quickly for the timeframe in the books. It might actually be a blessing. Besides, the 5 year gap turned to be, what, nine months?

It wasn't a serious idea, but it's got me wondering now if they could fit the Feast/Dance stuff into flashbacks somehow.

zocio
Nov 3, 2011

Joramun posted:

I can't wait for the Victarion- and Jon Connington-centric ones. :allears: I pray to R'hllor that Grey's Anatomy will be finally, mercifully canceled by then so they can cast Kevin McKidd (of Rome and Journeyman fame) as the latter.

I pray to both the Old Gods and The New that James Purefoy (also of Rome fame) gets to play Euron.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Kevin McKidd should play Ser Pounce.

I don't mean voice him or some bullshit.

Paint some loving whiskers on that fucker's face and get to work.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back

Sophia posted:

I want the series to end with Littlefinger throwing Lysa out the Moon Door.

The sweet, sweet pubby tears will make buying AFFC and ADWD worth it :allears:

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

whowhatwhere posted:

It could double as an homage to that kick in 300.

smarion2
Apr 22, 2010

whowhatwhere posted:

The sweet, sweet pubby tears will make buying AFFC and ADWD worth it :allears:
That will be a pretty sweet scene. Littlefinger owns so much. Actually, that whole book is going to be so great translated to TV.

Also, I want to get a cat just so I can name is Ser Pounce. Best character in the series.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Dead Man Posting posted:

Just want to point out that if anyone thinks this is a metaphor, well, let's just say it happens more often than you think.

Edit: Also looking forward to Brienne-centric episodes

Also, as far as portraying Dany, I don't think they would focus on that much after she claims Mereen as her throne. The chapters of Dany are about her fantasizing during court procedures save for the guy with his child's bones.

For Dany in Meereen they can have ancillary characters be awesome. Between Barristan and the Shavepate they could really play up the assassination and conspiracy plot and make Dany a bit off to the side. Kinda like what The Wire did in season 4

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

geeves posted:

For Dany in Meereen they can have ancillary characters be awesome. Between Barristan and the Shavepate they could really play up the assassination and conspiracy plot and make Dany a bit off to the side. Kinda like what The Wire did in season 4
And for some comic relief we can have Quentyn (played by Chistopher Mintz-Plasse) bumbling around, tumbling into slapstick situations and the occasional scorching to death.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

All this dream casting is missing a huge issue.

No one is bringing up good characters for Paul Schrier and Jason Narvy. Skull's even a goddamn doctor now, that's going to bring nothing but class to the production.

threeagainstfour
Jun 27, 2005

Maester Qyburn should be played by Dr. Drew.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Xiahou Dun posted:

Kevin McKidd should play Ser Pounce.

I don't mean voice him or some bullshit.

Paint some loving whiskers on that fucker's face and get to work.
Just turn the show into a musical for AFFC and ADWD, it would be a step up in quality from those two books.

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.

threeagainstfour posted:

Maester Qyburn should be played by Dr. Oz.

Also, the musical idea is pretty cool. If they could get the rights to it, Jaime and Brienne oughta sing "One Hand, One Heart" from West Side Story.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

And Ser Robert Strong can sing "If I only had a brain"

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

hailthefish posted:

And Ser Robert Strong can sing "If I only had a brain"

Duet with Dany

Stay Safe
Sep 1, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Will we see Strong Belwas in this season? I forgot where he shows up.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

Dead Man Posting posted:

Belwas is Qarth, so we should see him this season.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Dead Man Posting posted:

Paul Schrier's part found.

Wait, poo poo. He's actually acting again. I forgot, it's been so long since he's had anything resembling a career.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Don't lie.

There is but one actor that can properly play Strong Belwas.

The depths of his character.

Max Awfuls
Sep 10, 2011
Might as well get Charlie Day to play Daario.

bigmcgaffney
Apr 19, 2009
Might as well have Zooey Deschanel play all the female roles. All of them. Whether she fits them or not.

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.
I love Peter Dinklage, but Danny Devito should have been Tyrion.

smarion2
Apr 22, 2010

Max Awfuls posted:

Might as well get Charlie Day to play Daario.

I think Charlie Day could pull off a good gay Dolours Edd

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...

Xiahou Dun posted:

Don't lie.

There is nothing about this picture I don't love.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I don't know why everyone is talking about this. We all know the series will be cancelled after season three with the last episode being the Red Wedding. And who knows, maybe 2 years from now GRRM may be almost done with 3 1/2 chapters of WoW. Which were held over from DWD obviously, but at least completed.

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011
I would kill to have the Always Sunny cast as characters..

Charlie Day: Daario Naharis

Kaitlin Olson: Quaithe?

Rob McElhenney: Euron Grey?

Glenn Howerton: Xaro Xhoan Daxos.

And ofc Danny DeVito as Strong Belwas..

:allears: oh please let it be.

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.

Iseeyouseemeseeyou posted:

I would kill to have the Always Sunny cast as characters..

Kaitlin Olson: Quaithe?

And ofc Danny DeVito as Strong Belwas..

:allears: oh please let it be.

Dennis and Dee as Jaime and Cersei would be pretty awesome. With, as mentioned earlier, Danny Devito as Tyrion. Or perhaps Tywin. Or Ser Pounce. That Danny Devito is just too versatile, man.

Carly Gay Dead Son fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Feb 3, 2012

smarion2
Apr 22, 2010
I would cast Danny Devito as Vareys and Kaitlin Olson as Daenerys. Glenn Howerton is a perfect Jaime. I wasn't so sure about Charlie or Rob but I would do Charlie Day as Davos annndd Rob McElhenney as Renley.

Edit: ^^^ drat yeah Kaitlin Olson as Cersie is much better. They're even sisters on Sunny, how did I not think of that.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Xiahou Dun posted:

Don't lie.

"Where do hoors go?"

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

Iseeyouseemeseeyou posted:

All three of those guys look like the same guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arms_Akimbo
Sep 29, 2006

It's so damn...literal.

Dead Man Posting posted:

Is he the bald dude in the trailer?