Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo

Policenaut posted:

So Capcom of Japan dated ORC over there, it's coming in April. Something I noticed though.

Japan gets a (slightly) less stupid cover.

Hahaha, aw, his codename is Sad Eyes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Three Cookies
Apr 9, 2010

The way the gun is glowing orange kind of makes it look like Umbrella sent a man out with a Nintendo Zapper.

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

FERRETS ARE ALSO PRETTY MEH, HONESTLY

Policenaut posted:

On 360? Nope. The Wii has access to most of the franchise though, thanks to the GameCube support.

You can get Zero and REmake (1) on Wii itself and RE2, 3, and CVX on GameCube. You can play the Wii ones with a Classic Controller I think and the GameCube ones with a GameCube controller if you don't like the Wiimote.

drat, that's a pain. I always thought Capcom was an Xbox thing too, but apparently not! I'll keep an eye out for GC/Wii versions of 'em then, thanks.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

OH! I forgot that Wii also has the best version of RE4.

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

Hey what was that game that was like Resident Evil but with dinosaurs? Dino Crisis or something? I played the first one and though it was awesome, but that could just be rose colored glasses. Anybody know how that series was? Worth playing them all? I remember the mechanics being really similar to Resident Evil.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
The first one was vaguely PS1 era RE but the second Dino Crisis was RE4 before RE4. It had a combo system for killing enemies in quick succession that gave you money and you spent the money on new weapons like an anti tank rifle. It was also loving awesome.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Fraction posted:

Can you get the older games on Xbox 360?

I have RE5 and enjoyed that enough to want to play the older ones, but I can't seem to find most of them. I have a wii too but the controls on the wii are just terrible in general and I've only played Xbox since last summer so :effort:

They actually came out with HD Remakes of both Code Veronica X and RE4 over the past summer for the 360. I haven't played CVX, but I got RE4 and it remains an absolute blast to play.

thebardyspoon posted:

The first one was vaguely PS1 era RE but the second Dino Crisis was RE4 before RE4. It had a combo system for killing enemies in quick succession that gave you money and you spent the money on new weapons like an anti tank rifle. It was also loving awesome.

And then the third one came out, had nothing to do with the first two, and was absolutely terrible.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.
You can now get every game in the main series on ps3.

EvilBlackRailgun
Jan 28, 2007

Full Battle Rattle posted:

You can now get every game in the main series on ps3.

Not the RE Remake, looks like I'm going to need to source a copy of that and Code Veronica if I want my collection to be complete.

SnakesRevenge
Dec 29, 2008

Remember the basics of CQC, Snake!

VolumeBroadcast posted:

Not the RE Remake, looks like I'm going to need to source a copy of that and Code Veronica if I want my collection to be complete.

If you have a Wii available, I definitely recommend that that's what you get RE4 on, it's leaps and bounds above any other version (thanks to our beloved Capcom for not putting Move support in the PSN version)

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

A free custom title is a free custom title

Lipstick Apathy

Policenaut posted:

So Capcom of Japan dated ORC over there, it's coming in April. Something I noticed though.

We get ORC before they do? And why do they get the small tweak to the cover anyways? Oh well, I got that collector's edition coming anyways.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

It's probably something to do with wacky Japanese censorship laws and the zombie on the cover of the Western box.

From the OP

I kind of like the Japanese one more. The US one kind of looks like everyone got together to pose for the box art and the zombie rushed in to photobomb it.

citizenlowell
Sep 25, 2003

ignore alien orders

Policenaut posted:

You can get Zero and REmake (1) on Wii itself

I actually didn't know they ported REmake to the Wii. I've been waiting to replay REmake recently, is it worth tracking down the Wii version over GameCube or are they essentially the same?

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

citizenlowell posted:

I actually didn't know they ported REmake to the Wii. I've been waiting to replay REmake recently, is it worth tracking down the Wii version over GameCube or are they essentially the same?

They're the exact same game, but the Wii version has motion controls tacked on.

Martian Buddy
Jun 4, 2010

Are you ready to swear
right here,
right now,
before the devil

TheJoker138 posted:

That and they removed a few bugs, like the Infinite Grenade Launcher Ammo trick you can do in Jill's game.

citizenlowell
Sep 25, 2003

ignore alien orders

TheJoker138 posted:

So are the motion controls close to RE4 or completely tacked on and not worth bothering with?

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

citizenlowell posted:

So are the motion controls close to RE4 or completely tacked on and not worth bothering with?

Seeing as they haven't changed the entire camera set up for RE1, I can't see motion controls working for it at all.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

TheJoker138 posted:

The ones for the movies at least make sense though, doing things like Umbrella made beauty products or tech stuff. I have no idea how yogurt is even tangentially related to Resident Evil or anything contained therein.

Bacteria cultures in the yogurt.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

TheJoker138 posted:

Seeing as they haven't changed the entire camera set up for RE1, I can't see motion controls working for it at all.

Any time I played it was with a classic controller, but I don't even think it technically has motion controls at all, you can just play it with a Wiimote and nunchuk (or just a Wiimote which is awkward as hell) as an option.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

stratdax posted:

Hey what was that game that was like Resident Evil but with dinosaurs? Dino Crisis or something? I played the first one and though it was awesome, but that could just be rose colored glasses. Anybody know how that series was? Worth playing them all? I remember the mechanics being really similar to Resident Evil.

The first game was a straight-up Resident Evil clone with dinosaurs. But it had a pretty good story (from what I remember) with some legitimate twists and fun characters. I replayed it last year and I honestly thought it aged really well. I'd go so far as to say it's aged better than the original PS1 RE trilogy but that's a bold statement so I'll just leave it at "worth a play today".

The second game was MUCH more action based, more-so than RE4 and RE5. You were rewarded for blasting dinosaurs with points which you could redeem at stores for more weapons/ammo. The game also had a really good plot with a pretty big twist at the end. Just a fun romp and I recommend it today.

Never played the third, but I heard it sucked and from what I've watched on YouTube it looks pretty lame.

The first two Dino Crisis games are on PSN and I recommend both highly. One thing I'll say about Dino Crisis is it had a much more intricate and robust plot that RE ever had which made it rise above simply being a typical late '90s RE clone. Then again, Shinji Mikami working on both RE and DC might have been a factor as well.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
The first two Dino Crisis games are amazing.

I was always kind of annoyed that they placed Regina in the sort of 'secondary' role in 2 when I first played it, but it really is a fantastic game and being able to unlock her outfit in, uh, Resident Evil 3? was wicked at the time.

I can't believe they decided to follow up on those two games with that crazy, unrelated dinos in space disaster.

EDIT: TRAT! That was the name of the Dino Crisis S.T.A.R.S. TRAT owns.

EDIT2: They even ended the second one on a cliffhanger, goddamn it.

EDIT3: Hell, they even had that lightgun shooter, Dino Stalker.

Shirkelton fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Feb 3, 2012

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

The best thing about DC? You can totally move AND shoot at the same time. I don't know why that never got carried into the RE games.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
Dino Crisis 1 is a pretty fun game but now that I think about it, I don't think I ever used my weapons in it other than a few times. It really is just so much easier to run from everything. Its also pretty crazy that there are 3 endings with one of the endings being kind of hidden. Its definitely worth a playthrough

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

I remember being so surprised in Dino Crisis when the raptors start pulling a Nemesis and following you into rooms. Like I think that was a thing in DC1.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Policenaut posted:

I remember being so surprised in Dino Crisis when the raptors start pulling a Nemesis and following you into rooms. Like I think that was a thing in DC1.

I think so too, but I think it was only certain rooms that they did it in. Its also quite amazing how limited the game is. There are only about 4 different enemies in the entire game and there are only 3 guns. But its a fairly interesting game

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011
All i remember from DC1 was shtting my pants when the T-rex smashes the window. I never finished it since back then i was new to survival horror and ran out of ammo and was on critical health.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
I don't remember seeing this here. Official art and character blurbs for Echo Six, the Special Forces team in ORC:
http://residentevilnews.com/631/meet-military-miscreants-operation-raccoon-city.php

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

A free custom title is a free custom title

Lipstick Apathy

Wanderer posted:

I don't remember seeing this here. Official art and character blurbs for Echo Six, the Special Forces team in ORC:
http://residentevilnews.com/631/meet-military-miscreants-operation-raccoon-city.php

That last one (Willow) wasn't in the CG trailer was she?

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Revitalized posted:

That last one (Willow) wasn't in the CG trailer was she?

She's the one who stabs the Licker to death.

timeandtide
Nov 29, 2007

This space is reserved for future considerations.
Some cut dialogue from Resident Evil 5's mercs.

Everyone apparently had dialogue for duo mode, and holy poo poo Barry's CAN I TAKE THIS!!! and every single Wesker line is hilarious.

Padgjj
Jan 4, 2008
Never trouble trouble 'til trouble troubles you
I like Zsa Zsa Gabor Excella's the most.

Cream
May 6, 2007
Fett-kart

Policenaut posted:

On 360? Nope. The Wii has access to most of the franchise though, thanks to the GameCube support.

You can get Zero and REmake (1) on Wii itself and RE2, 3, and CVX on GameCube. You can play the Wii ones with a Classic Controller I think and the GameCube ones with a GameCube controller if you don't like the Wiimote.

Isn't the original RE on the GC too?

FuriousGeorge
Jan 23, 2006

Ah, the simple joys of a monkey knife-fight.
Grimey Drawer
I'm not sure I get why the OP describes RE4 as "contentious". It seems pretty universally beloved to me.

Are there people who don't like it? And if so, why haven't they been deported?

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

timeandtide posted:

Everyone apparently had dialogue for duo mode, and holy poo poo Barry's CAN I TAKE THIS!!! and every single Wesker line is hilarious.

Barry is Nier. :allears:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

timeandtide posted:

I really like to imagine these as conversations. Barry just demanding every weapon at once.

Arpanet
Nov 3, 2004

Are you wireless?
Resident Evil Gameboy Color prototype is out! :)

link:

http://www.assemblergames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36392&page=16

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
Is Resident Evil: Deadly Silence for the DS a good port? I've never played the original, and I've enjoyed a few of the DS ports of classic games like Chrono Trigger and Broken Sword - the problem is I can't find a copy for less than £40. Is it worth paying that much for it?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

OldMemes posted:

Is Resident Evil: Deadly Silence for the DS a good port? I've never played the original, and I've enjoyed a few of the DS ports of classic games like Chrono Trigger and Broken Sword - the problem is I can't find a copy for less than £40. Is it worth paying that much for it?

It's an extremely straightforward port of RE1. It has relatively little new content. If playing Re1 on the go is for you, then yes. Otherwise, no.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

FuriousGeorge posted:

I'm not sure I get why the OP describes RE4 as "contentious". It seems pretty universally beloved to me.

Are there people who don't like it? And if so, why haven't they been deported?

It was universally loved when it came out it seems, but before it released and now afterwards I have seen quite a few people going "Ok well, it was a good game, but it wasn't a good RE game," just like they do with 5. I personally was really resistant to the change, but ended up really liking both 4 and 5, but those people are out there who don't.

Also, OldMemes, Deadly Silence is a good port with some cool new modes added. I don't know if it's worth that much money if you have any other version of the game already though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

OldMemes posted:

Its basically Resident Evil on a handheld with a few extra features.

From what I remember

-There is a dedicated knife button so you always have the knife on you.
-You can skip the door loading screens
-There is a mode made for the DS that changes some of the puzzles to use the touch screen and mic I believe.
-There is a multiplayer mode that I never touched.

Overall, if you really love the original, then buy it. But I really don't think its worth paying a lot of money for it when you have already beaten it.