Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pigeon Shamus
Apr 14, 2010

There's a guard with a pair of swollen testicles who swears you wanted out of here.
Oh my god, that horse's face in The Lion of Judah promo pic, I can't stop laughing at it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black Lighter
Sep 6, 2010

Just keep looking at what we're doing, keep watering and ask yourselves first and know 'Are you watering? And are you fertilizing every day?' So when it's time to pop, it'll pop.

Habermann posted:

The important thing to remember in this sort of situation is that the animals are more afraid of you than you are of thJESUS CHRIST WHAT THE gently caress IS WRONG WITH THEIR FACES

Animals who can speak are an abomination unto God, and this poster does a wonderful job of reminding you of that.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Here's a good one designed by Mike "I'm with Coco" Mitchell:

and its alternate:

MIDWIFE CRISIS
Nov 5, 2008

Ta gueule, laisse-moi finir.
I love the poster for Stunt Man. If I had actually liked the movie this would be on a wall in my home somewhere.

Black Lighter
Sep 6, 2010

Just keep looking at what we're doing, keep watering and ask yourselves first and know 'Are you watering? And are you fertilizing every day?' So when it's time to pop, it'll pop.

Admiral Goodenough posted:

I love the poster for Stunt Man. If I had actually liked the movie this would be on a wall in my home somewhere.

Yeah, I think The Stunt Man's a good movie, but it's definitely not the one advertised by that poster.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Found this on imgur. Pretty clever. I wonder if the ads are real, though.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

The MSJ posted:

The ones on the Shame page don't have telephone numbers :eng101:

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

You know what the Ukraine is? It's a sitting duck. A road apple, Newman. The Ukraine is weak. It's feeble. I think it's time to put the hurt on the Ukraine

Victorkm posted:

You are calling this one out as good, right?

Are you being sarcastic? I think it's one of the most downright sexist posters I've ever seen.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

cloudchamber posted:

Are you being sarcastic? I think it's one of the most downright sexist posters I've ever seen.

How so? Maybe if it's there gratuitously, but if the man is a womanizer and that's what the movie is about, it's pretty fitting. Hell, even if he's not, how is showing two people possibly having sex sexist? I think the ones where it's a random shot of a girls legs and rear end in the foreground despite what the movie is actually about are the sexist ones.

Debunk This!
Apr 12, 2011

TheJoker138 posted:

How so? Maybe if it's there gratuitously, but if the man is a womanizer and that's what the movie is about, it's pretty fitting. Hell, even if he's not, how is showing two people possibly having sex sexist? I think the ones where it's a random shot of a girls legs and rear end in the foreground despite what the movie is actually about are the sexist ones.

Perhaps because its depicting women as holes/legs for men to emotionlessly use? The way the man is staring into the camera doesn't make it look like he's very engaged with the woman he's "loving".

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

The MSJ posted:

Shame's had some pretty fun adverts: apart from this and the ladies back, I saw one which was just a sheet of reflective foil, with all the details, including the title, in white ink.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Rare Collectable posted:

Perhaps because its depicting women as holes/legs for men to emotionlessly use? The way the man is staring into the camera doesn't make it look like he's very engaged with the woman he's "loving".

I never said "loving." And yeah, he's not engaged, but the woman seems to be, with her legs tossed into the air like that. Maybe he's the one being used here, as he doesn't seem to be getting any enjoyment out of the whole affair. More likely, i think that the movie is probably about some rear end in a top hat who does think exactly what you said there, and that's why the poster is fitting.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Rare Collectable posted:

That's the entire point though. It's not condone the imagery just because it uses it.

Debunk This!
Apr 12, 2011

PriorMarcus posted:

That's the entire point though. It's not condone the imagery just because it uses it.

It kind of is though. Theres no hint on the poster that the man isn't going to be the morally good protagonist of the film. The woman doesn't even have an identity, shes just a pair of legs. We'll have to see the movie to be sure but I would definitely call this sexist advertising.

westborn
Feb 25, 2010
The Inglourious Basterds posters had Hakenkreuze on them, was that Nazi propaganda...?
You can't really fault posters for the themes of the respective movie, so please don't derail the thread with stupid arguments about those.

If it was added gratuitously it would be different, but the trailer of Les Infidèles I just watched made it seem pretty fitting.

Vagabundo posted:

If they're happy putting the same bikini top and recycling the hands from the other poster, why stop there?
No doubt they've lifted the girls from somewhere, but it's just not the one from the Piranha poster.

westborn fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Feb 3, 2012

General Ironicus
Aug 21, 2008

Something about this feels kinda hinky

Rare Collectable posted:

The woman doesn't even have an identity, shes just a pair of legs.

There's your hint.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

Speaking of recycled posters. Which was first?

This?

Or This?

I have that last poster in my door, and it's weird (and so lazy) that they decided to use an old photo for the one of the sequels. Unless the first one is poster that was made later...

I like this one, even if the posters doesn't tell us anything about the movie:

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Desperado Bones posted:

Speaking of recycled posters. Which was first?

This?

Or This?

I have that last poster in my door, and it's weird (and so lazy) that they decided to use an old photo for the one of the sequels. Unless the first one is poster that was made later...

I love for that last one that they just put some random demon that doesn't resemble anything in the actual film on it. Also, yeah, the Hellraiser 3 one there is recycled from the original. If you've ever seen Hellraiser 3, you will know that creativity and being...well...good, were not exactly in that movies wheelhouse.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Desperado Bones posted:

That loving quote. On every goddamn book of Barker is that loving King quote.

westborn
Feb 25, 2010

Habermann posted:

Much like a blowfish inflates itself to scare away predators, the cover to "Legend of the Sea" does a wonderful job scaring off adults and children alike (Though studies have shown that the sight of Rob Schneider's name is actually a stronger deterrent than a set of sharpened spines).

I wouldn't say it's great, but I don't see much wrong with this apart from the low quality source images of the otherwise not too bad renders the designer had to work with (and Rob Schneider of course) and it's a perfectly okay cover for a kids movie. You probably wouldn't even notice the compression on the printed cover unless you hold it way too close to your face.

If I'd be looking to buy a dvd for a kid I could see myself picking it up for a serious closer look compared to lazy looking stuff like this:

Even the Lion of Judah cover looks pretty good - compared to the horrors that await inside...

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Mr. Squishy posted:

Shame's had some pretty fun adverts: apart from this and the ladies back, I saw one which was just a sheet of reflective foil, with all the details, including the title, in white ink.

I've not seen this one, and I don't know what its meant to be given your description. Can you link it?

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
I can't be bothered to track it down right now, but I'll try and get a pic of it tomorrow. It's basically the same principle as when Time Magazine named "You" as Person of the Year, so it's going to be a lot more affecting in person. It's eyecatching and effective, but admittedly told you gently caress all about the film itself.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Black Lighter posted:

Yeah, I think The Stunt Man's a good movie, but it's definitely not the one advertised by that poster.

Are you sure? Because that naked devil behind the camera sure looks like Peter O'Toole. The quote comes from him, too. I think it's a good abstraction of what goes on in that film.

The MSJ posted:

I like this much better than the "semen on the woman's back" one. God, that was gross.

I'm curious, though, about the reflective one mentioned in Mr. Squishy's post.

westborn posted:

"Latawnya, NOOO!"

Ez
Mar 26, 2007

Drink! Feck! Arse! Girls!

zenintrude posted:

Here's a good one designed by Mike "I'm with Coco" Mitchell:

and its alternate:

Great posters, great movie, great podcast. There isn't a way to buy this is there? I would love that first one on my wall

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Found this regarding the reflective shame poster:

Thats Fassbender signing one. Looks like a neat concept.

edit:

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Habermann posted:

Wait, is that meant to be a Chinese dragon? If so, please, someone tell me Rob "no, it's OK, I'm half-Filipino" Schneider isn't loving doing yellowface again.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Cage posted:

Found this regarding the reflective shame poster:

Thats Fassbender signing one. Looks like a neat concept.

edit:

That's pretty cool. BTW, I didn't notice it before but is that Futura as the font?

Demp
Nov 5, 2003

GLORIOUS
This isn't a poster, per se, but we got the final one sheet in for The Woman in Black today and this was on the tube. I thought it was pretty funny.

AndyP
Nov 7, 2011

Dissapointed Owl posted:

That loving quote. On every goddamn book of Barker is that loving King quote.

There's a Stephen King quote on pretty much every mainstream horror novel.

I'm just waiting for the day when a reprint of Carrie or something has "I loved this book" - Stephen King, on the cover.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

AndyP posted:

There's a Stephen King quote on pretty much every mainstream horror novel.

I'm just waiting for the day when a reprint of Carrie or something has "I loved this book" - Stephen King, on the cover.

I think it would be funnier if it was his Bachman books, like he forgot that's he's Richard Bachman.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Young Freud posted:

I think it would be funnier if it was his Bachman books, like he forgot that's he's Richard Bachman.

Obviously a joke, but...

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Young Freud posted:

He did write those when he was hosed up

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.
"This "Rage" book is a pretty goo...oh."- Stephen King

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

"I liked the movie better"- Stephen King, on the cover of The Running Man

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

TheJoker138 posted:

"I liked the movie better"- Stephen King, on the cover of The Running Man

I want this to be a sticker just so I could put it on the cover of The Shining.

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

You ever do the chicken dance at a wake? That really bothers people.

Habermann posted:

For all the love the horse in the back is getting, what's up with the emo donkey?

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
It's the movie that just keeps on giving

Is that a noose?! And the horse is clearly out of its loving mind.

Emo Donkey's friends are judgemental and unsupportive after his failed suicide attempt...

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

Lizard Combatant posted:

It's the movie that just keeps on giving

Is that a noose?! And the horse is clearly out of its loving mind.

Emo Donkey's friends are judgemental and unsupportive after his failed suicide attempt...

Okay. This is a Christian movie, I guess set in the times of Christ, right? I say this because there are crosses up there in the main poster,and that's loving creepy.It means there's people dying in slow and painful agony up there.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yXHUUkGFbAw
I have horrid habit of checking out the trailers for these sappy horrorshows. Nothing beats poorly CG animals that slide on the ground.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Desperado Bones posted:

Okay. This is a Christian movie, I guess set in the times of Christ, right? I say this because there are crosses up there in the main poster,and that's loving creepy.It means there's people dying in slow and painful agony up there.

That's probably the Golgotha and it's probably Jesus up there dying.

Also was Judah taken to be sacrificed? Because that's the vibe I was getting from that.