Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates

Scaramouche posted:

Sorry, have to wrap my head around this, are you defending deadspin? :psyduck:

I think there are several reasonable explanations under which these two stories can both be true, and (unlike Deadspin) it's worth waiting to see the facts. But it is possible for their story to be both scummy and accurate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Since we're back to talking about Deadspin, yes - the woman whose apartment A.J. Daulerio was in is the woman who was arrested for stalking Brian Cashman.

Deadspin posted:

Yes, the woman in whose apartment I tried on Brian Cashman's pajama pants Tuesday night, the one who says she was the Yankees GM's mistress, is the same woman who was arrested at 5:45 p.m. yesterday outside her Leonard Street apartment. Her name is Louise Meanwell (she's also used the surname Neathway), and she has been charged with grand larceny, attempted grand larceny, stalking. and aggravated harassment.

I first met her last Friday afternoon. She was distraught and a little manic, but the story of her relationship with Cashman wasn't the product of an overheated imagination. She had evidence—a voicemail, a recorded phone conversation, a deposit slip, and a recommendation letter on Yankees letterhead, among other things. In fact, prosecutors confirmed something Louise told me. From the New York Post:

She is also accused of stealing $6,000 from a man sources have identified as Cashman, prosecutors said.

"The defendant extorted $6,000 from the victim and attempted to extort more than $15,000," said prosecutor Eric Iverson.

When we first met, Meanwell told me that Cashman had given her $6,200 to help pay for the lease on her apartment. He'd given her about $20,000 during the span of their relationship. She showed me a deposit slip from what she said was a payment from Cashman:

In other words, both Meanwell and apparently Cashman agree that a large amount of money changed hands on more than one occasion. The difference is that Cashman calls this extortion; Meanwell calls this rent money.

We first caught wind of the relationship in September; both denied it at the time. Meanwell now says the two began seeing each other in April. It would be incredible if the whole relationship between the two had merely been part of a months-long dragnet operation designed to put an unbalanced woman in prison.

I met Meanwell again on Tuesday night, this time at Landmarc, a Tribeca restaurant. The bartender there remembered Louise and her special friend from a visit last week to commemorate Meanwell's birthday. He apologized for not knowing who the friend was, though. "The guys in the kitchen recognized him," he told us. "They're Yankee fans."

More to come.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

"Yes, the woman in whose apartment I tried on Brian Cashman's pajama pants Tuesday night..."

Hey AJ, I got a pair of Joe DiMaggio's slacks in my closet too. I swear they belong to him. Maybe you can write a piece on that too. I think at this point even TMZ has more credibility. Christ.

Dingleberry Jones
Jun 2, 2008
If I'm posting a new thread, it means there is a thread already posted and I failed at using the forum search correctly

haljordan posted:

Hey AJ, I got a pair of Joe DiMaggio's slacks in my closet too. I swear they belong to him. Maybe you can write a piece on that too. I think at this point even TMZ has more credibility. Christ.

Yeah, but do you have Joe DiMaggio's toothbrush? I didn't think so.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

The best part about this is you know Deadspin will soon publish yet another story ripping ESPN or some other major media outlet for running a "pointless" story. Then they'll play the "We're not a major media source!" card for the 10,00th time.

Reformed Pissboy
Nov 6, 2003

Louise Meanwell sounds like a fake name from Arrested Development. This is my only contribution to this discussion :tipshat:

stuart scott
Mar 9, 2007

haljordan posted:

The best part about this is you know Deadspin will soon publish yet another story ripping ESPN or some other major media outlet for running a "pointless" story. Then they'll play the "We're not a major media source!" card for the 10,00th time.

This is good. This is a good and correct thing they do.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

stuart scott irl posted:

This is good. This is a good and correct thing they do.

Its kind of hard to take a stance on journalistic integrity when you have a regular feature called "How much is Oddibe McDowell's water bill this month?"

LARGE THE HEAD
Sep 1, 2009

"Competitive greatness is when you play your best against the best."

"Learn as if you were to live forever; live as if you were to die tomorrow."

--John Wooden
Athletes are publicly exposed as being pieces of poo poo all the time and are defended incessantly for it; I see no reason why decision makers can't be pieces of poo poo too.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

All I know is, if I had the same amount of money/ability to get away with ridiculous behavior that pro athletes did, I'd be dead inside a week. Probably from crashing my motorcycle into a brick wall while high on PCP and getting an HJ from a $5,000/night hooker. So I judge no man.

Count Freebasie
Jan 12, 2006

I actually worked with Louise (Lou-Lou, as she called herself on Facebook when we were Facebook friends) not too long ago. She was a complete headcase and dropped hints about how she was seeing the manager of the biggest sports team in the country. This was a girl who we knew was clownshit crazy right after she got hired. Funny enough, many of the people at our company have made the remark "This just made my day" when they heard the news.

She was universally despised, and she didn't last long before they tossed her out the door.

Count Freebasie fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Feb 3, 2012

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

Devil Wears Pravda posted:

I actually worked with Louise (Lou-Lou, as she called herself on Facebook when we were Facebook friends) not too long ago. She was a complete headcase and dropped hints about how she was seeing the manager of the biggest sports team in the country. This was a girl who we knew was clownshit crazy right after she got hired. Funny enough, many of the people at our company have made the remark "This just made my day" when they heard the news.

She was universally despised, and she didn't last long before they tossed her out the door.

Did she do something ridiculous to get fired, or did they cook up an excuse just to get rid of her?

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...

Devil Wears Pravda posted:

She sounds like AJ Daulerio's perfect woman.

Count Freebasie
Jan 12, 2006

haljordan posted:

Did she do something ridiculous to get fired, or did they cook up an excuse just to get rid of her?

They didn't cook up an excuse, but her behavior was so erratic that they made sure to document all of it so that when the time came to let her go, they would have their asses covered.

MODS CURE JOKES
Nov 11, 2009

OFFICIAL SAS 90s REMEMBERER
Cashman has been separated from his wife since 2009 so who he fucks is his own business and A.J. Daulerio is pretty much the worst.

stuart scott
Mar 9, 2007

haljordan posted:

Its kind of hard to take a stance on journalistic integrity when you have a regular feature called "How much is Oddibe McDowell's water bill this month?"

They've done plenty of excellent work to establish credibility. In particular, the way they've held other media accountable is almost unmatched, particularly with Fire Joe Morgan gone. I don't pay attention to the "I'm wearing Brian Cashman's pajama pants" crap because I have no interest in it.

Daulerio has also promoted some horrible poo poo on that blog, but ESPN has been every bit as misogynist, as profane, and as nosy, and Deadspin has been a good check to that.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

I don't get it, are you saying it's okay because other people do it too? Or that it's okay because you don't read it? Because both positions aren't really defensible. Do you like Ron Paul because you don't care about his racism?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
theres this crazy poo poo called nuance where you can like certain things about a thing and also dislike certain things about a thing and then you can decide on balance whether you like it or not

stuart scott
Mar 9, 2007

Scaramouche posted:

I don't get it, are you saying it's okay because other people do it too? Or that it's okay because you don't read it? Because both positions aren't really defensible. Do you like Ron Paul because you don't care about his racism?

hahahaha

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

theres this crazy poo poo called nuance where you can like certain things about a thing and also dislike certain things about a thing and then you can decide on balance whether you like it or not

yes, but at the same time, if you start criticizing certain media conglomerates for something, you should probably make sure you aren't doing the exact same thing too

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."
So Darren Rovell is melting down on Twitter calling the extremely not-ugly Jaime Edmondson ugly because she didn't take a good enough picture with him last night at the Playboy Super Bowl party. It's incredibly hilarious. The special cameos by Evan Longoria and Jon Heyman are fun too.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Darren Rovell is the worst.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...

quote:

darrenrovell darren rovell
In 1975, Playboy printed 7 million copies a month. Today, it's down to 1.5 million.
5 hours ago

I have a hard time believing a business reporter would seriously think this is a reflection of quality. There's a fuckload of magazines out there that would love to be printing that many copies a month, you douche.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
I'd be happy to take his slot for next year's party if he's not planning on attending.

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

I live. I die. I live again.

jeffersonlives posted:

So Darren Rovell is melting down on Twitter calling the extremely not-ugly Jaime Edmondson ugly because she didn't take a good enough picture with him last night at the Playboy Super Bowl party. It's incredibly hilarious. The special cameos by Evan Longoria and Jon Heyman are fun too.

My Twitter Followers never forget :911:

The broken bones
Jan 3, 2008

Out beyond winning and losing, there is a field.

I will meet you there.

jeffersonlives posted:

Jon Heyman quit being a troll for once to say how stupid Darren Rovell is. Time stopped for a moment

Heaf
Jan 15, 2008

People say we suck at sports but they don't understand
It's hard to catch with holes right through your hands

MorningView posted:

Darren Rovell is the worst.

The worst is not following Darren Rovell on Twitter and having to deal with it anyway because people keep complaining about him. Ignoring him is apparently the most difficult thing for people to do.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Apparently A.J. Daulerio really is going to ride the Brian Cashman thing right through the gates of Hell if he has to: link

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

Crazy Ted posted:

Apparently A.J. Daulerio really is going to ride the Brian Cashman thing right through the gates of Hell if he has to: link

I know that things are different in the outside of SAS world but does anyone give a gently caress? I have heard zip from anybody at work, in the neighborhood, etc

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

Honestly I don't think most of the Baseball fans I know even know who Brian Cashman is. It's really dumb.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

toadee posted:

Honestly I don't think most of the Baseball fans I know even know who Brian Cashman is. It's really dumb.
Yeah. On more than one occasion I've heard him referred to as "that little Jewish-looking guy who goes in front of the camera to announce when the Yankees have signed someone."

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

leokitty posted:

I know that things are different in the outside of SAS world but does anyone give a gently caress? I have heard zip from anybody at work, in the neighborhood, etc

I'm baffled by it. It's not like Cashman is a household name. He's not a "family values" maniac whose hypocrisy deserves exposure. He was already separated from his wife. What the gently caress is Daulerio thinking? Normally when he does scummy stories, you can at least grasp why he's doing it.

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

Plus the fact that his source is a legit crazy stalker. Stalkers do not do things the normal people way. Why would I take anything she says without the huge caveat of "woo crazy stalker".

I'm not crazy about Deadspin but they've covered stuff other outlets have tried to ignore before. This is just not one of those stories.

e: just noticed a confusing thing in my first sentence and fixed it

leokitty fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Feb 6, 2012

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Let the hilarious, delusional overreaction from the Boston media begin!

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

quote:

Eli and Peyton now have as many rings as you combined over the past five years. You haven't sniffed one in seven.

Someone doesn't know what "sniffed" means. If you make the Superbowl, you have sniffed a ring. If you make the Superbowl and have the lead late, you've sniffed a ring.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
That's the part of the article you are targeting?

EdRush
Dec 13, 2005

by R. Guyovich

I take it he bet a lot of money on No Safety -1300

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

Of course, Shaughnessy just had to bring up the Red Sox in describing the loss:

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/articles/2012/02/06/giants_edge_patriots_in_echo_of_gnawing_2008_super_bowl_upset/

quote:

Curses. Is this some sort of cosmic payback for what the Red Sox did to the Yankees in the 2004 American League Championship Series?

e: And then there's this bunch of :qq:

quote:

When the Stanley Cup Champion Bruins visited the White House Jan. 23, President Obama said, “The Bruins, the Sox, the Celtics, now the Patriots. Enough already, Boston. What’s going on?’’

Nothing, Mr. President. Nothing at all. After a decade of dominance, New England seems to be shifting back toward the Big Middle. The Bruins have been in a midseason slump. The Celtics are calcifying before our eyes. The Red Sox are pinching pennies, falling further behind their rivals in the American League. And the Patriots have lost two straight Super Bowls in the final minute against the New York Football Giants.

Instead of celebrating a grand slam - championships in every major sport over a period of four years and four months - New Englanders are spitting out pieces of their broken luck, bracing for the avalanche of grief from those annoying New Yorkers.

Again.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

That's the part of the article you are targeting?

I pretty much knew what the article would be like, so that part jumped out at me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
lol "the bruins are in a midseason slump"

oh no, they lost a few games (after blowing out other teams routinely by 4-5 goals in a game where the average # of goals scored by both teams is around 5)