Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lamentable dustman
Apr 13, 2007

🏆🏆🏆

hotsauce posted:

Welp looks like Amazon is getting a return on my TF201 that just arrived.

It's a lovely picture of an unannounced product with no known specs or release date.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaekkor
May 12, 2010

Oh, let's break it down!

Just bought a 32GB WiFi Motorola Xoom from SA Mart. Waiting for it to ship. Anyone have experience with these? How did/do you like it?

Youtube vids make it look pretty competitive. I'm hoping it's as good as it sounds!

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005
Master of procrastination

Codiusprime posted:

8 cores, 4 gigs of ram and a 4K screen.

8 cores, but 2 of them don't work so the specs get changed to 6.

E2M2
Mar 2, 2007

Ain't No Thang.

hotsauce posted:

You know by the time that one comes out there will be another on the horizon?

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

donglelord posted:

It's a lovely picture of an unannounced product with no known specs or release date.
Yes with a Q2 rumor for release. I guess if my new TF201 that just arrived had working wifi and no dead pixels I would keep it. Sadly it seems to be defective like many others.

If wifi would stay connected long enough to download ICS maybe it will fix itself. It's becoming a chore. The dead / bright pixels are a deal breaker though.

hotsauce fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Feb 3, 2012

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

hotsauce posted:

Yes with a Q2 rumor for release

So absolutely nothing known about it other than rumors makes it a buy for you?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Vagrancy posted:

Come on now we're not talking about the PS3!

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Come on now we're not talking about the PS3!

<3

Vagrancy posted:

Drink this and realize those cores were never there. Who needs eight anyways??

Ciabatta
Aug 20, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

hotsauce posted:

Yes with a Q2 rumor for release. I guess if my new TF201 that just arrived had working wifi and no dead pixels I would keep it. Sadly it seems to be defective like many others.

If wifi would stay connected long enough to download ICS maybe it will fix itself. It's becoming a chore. The dead / bright pixels are a deal breaker though.

This is sad to hear. How bad is the wifi for you, like sitting-next-to-the-router-disconnecting bad?

McLarenF1
Jan 9, 2004

Looking to Buy a McLaren, Anyone Selling One .... Cheap?

Ciabatta posted:

This is sad to hear. How bad is the wifi for you, like sitting-next-to-the-router-disconnecting bad?
I guess I'm lucky, but I've had no problems with my Prime, Wifi or otherwise. You may want to consider opening it and checking it out before you return it.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Codiusprime posted:

<3
I hope Vagrancy lobbed that one over the plate intentionally, but I doubt it.

Ciabatta
Aug 20, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

McLarenF1 posted:

I guess I'm lucky, but I've had no problems with my Prime, Wifi or otherwise. You may want to consider opening it and checking it out before you return it.

Yeah, I can live with most of the problems reported so far, but obviously shoddy wifi on a wifi tablet isn't going to cut it. I wouldn't get one any time soon anyways, more just trying to get a feel for whether it'll be worth picking up a used one in a few months if I see a deal. Thanks for being an early adopter and recommending/warning the rest of us :)

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

It's really ridiculous that any recommendation for a Transformer Prime comes with about a dozen caveats about it. You shouldn't have to do a battery of tests on a your tablet to make sure it's not hosed right out of the box.

The original Transformer didn't suffer from this many problems (although the defective docking stations is pretty loving ridiculous as well). Considering there's a raft of Tegra 3 devices due out this year I can't see why you'd recommend the Prime unless you have to have a Teg3 tablet today.

El Duke Silver
Aug 15, 2008

rarely goes out and should never be approached

hotsauce posted:

you know if this is what makes you return something you're never going to keep a tablet, right?

e:f,b.
e2, after reading this:

hotsauce posted:

"This tablet is having tons of issues and I'm thinking about returning it so I can buy the next version of this tablet."

El Duke Silver fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Feb 3, 2012

Turnquiet
Oct 24, 2002

My friend is an eloquent speaker.

Obscurity posted:

Just bought a 32GB WiFi Motorola Xoom from SA Mart. Waiting for it to ship. Anyone have experience with these? How did/do you like it?

Youtube vids make it look pretty competitive. I'm hoping it's as good as it sounds!

I bought the 4G with that football promotion getting me $200 off back when they were first released a year ago. It has been a long climb from clunky, to better, to pretty good, to loving awesome, but we are finally there. It is thicker and heavier than the competition, but I have no complaints about how it performs with ICS on it.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

El Duke posted:

"This tablet is having tons of issues and I'm thinking about returning it so I can buy the next version of this tablet."

The TF201 has 2 specific issues that stem from a design flaw which is remedied in the TF700T or whatever their part numbers are.

El Duke Silver
Aug 15, 2008

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

The TF201 has 2 specific issues that stem from a design flaw which is remedied in the TF700T or whatever their part numbers are.

and a ton of QA problems that stem from Asus being Asus that aren't getting remedied.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

El Duke posted:

and a ton of QA problems that stem from Asus being Asus that aren't getting remedied.

Pretty much this. I love this tablet but fear its the ugly duckling of the Transformer brand. It just came out and I had to F5 amazon for days until it finally came in stock when I purchased two days ago. I know there is always another tablet on the horizon and I'm cool with that. I just don't understand how this Prime was released and remains so hot with all the issues it has (none of which have been officially acknowledged by Asus nor are resolutions planned).

Its as if the fixes are being rolled into the next version effectively screwing the current TF201 owners. That's a hard pill to swallow for a product that is still flying off the shelves.

I may return it and suck it up while I wait in the next version. That's a shame because so far minus the issues I have it's pretty much tits.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

Bad wifi and gps from bad design
Reports of backlight bleed
A non-flush microsd port
Reported lockups/crashes
A battery charger that can overheat

This is what's been found so far with a highly limited release. If the initial build quality is this bad, how well do you think the thing will hold up in 6 months?

Every single indicator of this thing is that Asus shoved it out the door to have the first Tegra 3 tablet, at the expense of any kind of testing or design vetting. I don't understand why people would find that acceptable.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Just got my keyboard dock in from Newegg and man, is it a beauty.

The tablet doesn't even have to be pushed all that hard to get it into the dock, but it does have a nice hold of it after it's docked nd in the locked positioned.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Crackbone posted:

Bad wifi and gps from bad design
Reports of backlight bleed
A non-flush microsd port
Reported lockups/crashes
A battery charger that can overheat

This is what's been found so far with a highly limited release. If the initial build quality is this bad, how well do you think the thing will hold up in 6 months?

Screens also are separating from the back.

El Duke Silver
Aug 15, 2008

hotsauce posted:

Pretty much this. I love this tablet but fear its the ugly duckling of the Transformer brand. It just came out and I had to F5 amazon for days until it finally came in stock when I purchased two days ago. I know there is always another tablet on the horizon and I'm cool with that. I just don't understand how this Prime was released and remains so hot with all the issues it has (none of which have been officially acknowledged by Asus nor are resolutions planned).

Its as if the fixes are being rolled into the next version effectively screwing the current TF201 owners. That's a hard pill to swallow for a product that is still flying off the shelves.

I may return it and suck it up while I wait in the next version. That's a shame because so far minus the issues I have it's pretty much tits.

but if you're having manufacturing issues, why would you wait for something from the same... never mind.

And it's hot because it's the first (and currently only) Tegra 3 tablet with an official ICS build, and it's only hot in relative terms, at that.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

El Duke posted:

but if you're having manufacturing issues, why would you wait for something from the same... never mind.

Not that I want to applaud Asus, but the original Transformer was better built, and since the Prime was apparently the beta for the Transformer Prime EX 701, it stands to reason they might actually get it right this time. Or at least better than the Prime.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Crackbone posted:

Not that I want to applaud Asus, but the original Transformer was better built, and since the Prime was apparently the beta for the Transformer Prime EX 701, it stands to reason they might actually get it right this time. Or at least better than the Prime.

This. Asus is capable of making a solid tablet like the original Prime was. The TF201 is the exception.

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

hotsauce posted:

This. Asus is capable of making a solid tablet like the original Prime was. The TF201 is the exception.

Your sample size is 2, hard to call 50% the exception.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Vagrancy posted:

1 for touch, 1 for wifi, 1 for gps, that only leaves three cores for actual toilet browsing, gently caress that.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

golgo13sf posted:

Your sample size is 2, hard to call 50% the exception.

The one major problem Android seems to have is that at this point no manufacturer has been consistent with their build quality. Even ignoring low end devices and just factoring in the "flagship" phones that is arguably the case. HTC has been lackluster lately, Motorola still is hit or miss (plus motoblur), Samsung is Samsung and it seems this trend is continuing to tablet space.

Honestly, waiting 1-2 months for the product to be out is advisable for tablets in general right.

McLarenF1
Jan 9, 2004

Looking to Buy a McLaren, Anyone Selling One .... Cheap?
If you really want to get at the heart of the possible wifi / gps issues on the Prime, check out this thread on XDA (pics included).

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

You guys who have Costco cards might get a kick out of this. Pretty sure its instore only, but a friend of mine's dad just picked this up. Because I wasn't there I'm not clear on all the details:
- Acer Iconia A500 for 1 cent
- Not sure about the monthly limit, maybe 1gb? Can be upgraded
- I believe like their 1 cent phone offer that you pay GST/HST on the 'real' price of the tablet and there's probably a setup fee
- Provider is either Roger's or Primus, not sure
- In Canada, no idea if US is doing it

Basically you're spending $480 plus tax, though it is at $20/mo. So I guess you can either see it as a slightly more pricy tablet ($449 at Costco) that you pay for monthly with free dataplan, or an expensive dataplan that gives you a free tablet, I'm not sure which.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Scaramouche posted:

You guys who have Costco cards might get a kick out of this. Pretty sure its instore only, but a friend of mine's dad just picked this up. Because I wasn't there I'm not clear on all the details:
- I believe like their 1 cent phone offer that you pay GST/HST on the 'real' price of the tablet and there's probably a setup fee

Basically you're spending $480 plus tax, though it is at $20/mo. So I guess you can either see it as a slightly more pricy tablet ($449 at Costco) that you pay for monthly with free dataplan, or an expensive dataplan that gives you a free tablet, I'm not sure which.

WTF? I thought the A500 was WiFi only. Does it come with a 3G dongle or is it actually the A501?

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
I'm going to return the TF201 to Amazon due to the issues I'm having and get a used Transformer TF101 with keyboard dock for $350 locally while I wait on the rumored new Transformer to be released.

Any known pitfalls with the O.G. Transformer? Is this a good price for the unit + keyboard dock?

Thanks.

El Duke Silver
Aug 15, 2008

Scaramouche posted:

this is an awful idea.

Ciabatta
Aug 20, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

El Duke posted:

this is an awful idea.

And yet better than any other tablet+data plan. Don't get a tablet+data plan. Do carriers in the U.S. let you switch new hardware onto a tablet data plan? They don't, do they?

El Duke Silver
Aug 15, 2008

Ciabatta posted:

And yet better than any other tablet+data plan. Don't get a tablet+data plan. Do carriers in the U.S. let you switch new hardware onto a tablet data plan? They don't, do they?

if you were in the middle of a contract, you could switch another device onto that line, but you'd have to change the plan to suit whatever type of device it was (smartphone, dumbphone, datacard, etc). This is only some carriers, VZW at least. Others may operate differently than that.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Maker Of Shoes posted:

WTF? I thought the A500 was WiFi only. Does it come with a 3G dongle or is it actually the A501?

I've got no idea on that front, I haven't even seen it. My buddy did and he's pretty up on tablets since we both obsess over working up the guts to buy one. Here's the only Acer available on Costco's site:
http://www.costco.ca/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=10361027

It might be like this:
http://infrastructure.it.ubc.ca/2011/12/22/rogers-offers-free-tablet-when-you-purchase-data-plan/

So it sounds like it isn't really Costco's deal, rather it's Rogers. Ironically their site is down for me (or Shaw won't let me visit it??? :tinfoil: ) so I can't confirm the plan but it might be this:
http://www.comparecellular.com/rogers-plans-and-essentials/british-columbia/plan-details.asp?RatePlanID=2643

If it's the provider deal then I guess this is useless outside of Canada, sorry guys.

Ciabatta
Aug 20, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

El Duke posted:

if you were in the middle of a contract, you could switch another device onto that line, but you'd have to change the plan to suit whatever type of device it was (smartphone, dumbphone, datacard, etc). This is only some carriers, VZW at least. Others may operate differently than that.

Ah, alright. Good to know. I read somewhere that wasn't the case, which would make them that much worse. Committing to keeping a 7" Galaxy Tab running 2.3 for two years :stare:

El Duke Silver
Aug 15, 2008

Ciabatta posted:

Ah, alright. Good to know. I read somewhere that wasn't the case, which would make them that much worse. Committing to keeping a 7" Galaxy Tab running 2.3 for two years :stare:

getting a tablet on a two year contract is a bad idea no matter what, really.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Scaramouche posted:

I've got no idea on that front, I haven't even seen it. My buddy did and he's pretty up on tablets since we both obsess over working up the guts to buy one. Here's the only Acer available on Costco's site:
http://www.costco.ca/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=10361027

It might be like this:
http://infrastructure.it.ubc.ca/2011/12/22/rogers-offers-free-tablet-when-you-purchase-data-plan/

So it sounds like it isn't really Costco's deal, rather it's Rogers. Ironically their site is down for me (or Shaw won't let me visit it??? :tinfoil: ) so I can't confirm the plan but it might be this:
http://www.comparecellular.com/rogers-plans-and-essentials/british-columbia/plan-details.asp?RatePlanID=2643

If it's the provider deal then I guess this is useless outside of Canada, sorry guys.

A tablet on a wireless contract that doesn't have a cellular antenna.

Welp.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

It could be using their LTE/3G service for all I know. They have a usb-dongle 'rocketstick' but the pricing seems out of whack; rocketsticks start at $35/mo for 500mb. Maybe I'll ask in the Canadian cellular thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

E2M2
Mar 2, 2007

Ain't No Thang.

hotsauce posted:

I'm going to return the TF201 to Amazon due to the issues I'm having and get a used Transformer TF101 with keyboard dock for $350 locally while I wait on the rumored new Transformer to be released.

Any known pitfalls with the O.G. Transformer? Is this a good price for the unit + keyboard dock?

Thanks.

OG Transformer:

Light bleed, and the dock not turning off when the tablet is off.

The newer docks will not have the problem, and I read that there was a new firmware that fixed the dock losing power over night, but I'm not sure if it fixed it.