Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Here's the latest on when the next Stormlight book is coming, courtesy of Brandon's Twitter.

quote:

I'll start writing it as soon as I finish the AMoL revision. It should be out next year, early in the year, hopefully.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Woah, isn't that a bit too fast for another epic door stopper? Even for him. He still have some months more of revisions for AMoL, and I suppose he will have a big book tour for it (being the Final Wot book and all that).

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

I dont think he's going to be working too much on the WOT book once he's doen with this first revision. Harriet has said that she is going to want lots of time to edit the book when she gets it, and I'm sure Brandon will use that time to start work on Stormlight 2. I bet he has had the main story for the book chewing around in his brain for the past 2-3 years he's been working on WOT, so I would expect the first draft of it to be finished probably around the time the last WOT book is released.

The only thing thats going to delay it will probably be the number of side projects he might start like Alcatraz, the Rithmatist, or another Alloy of Law type short story.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug

Cartoon Man posted:

The only thing thats going to delay it will probably be the number of side projects he might start like Alcatraz, the Rithmatist, or another Alloy of Law type short story.

Yeah, but at his pace, he'll just write them when he is on the can.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Cartoon Man posted:

I dont think he's going to be working too much on the WOT book once he's doen with this first revision. Harriet has said that she is going to want lots of time to edit the book when she gets it, and I'm sure Brandon will use that time to start work on Stormlight 2.

She's a horrible editor and can't even catch bad typos so I can't imagine she'll take that long with it.

Maytag
Nov 4, 2006

it's enough that it all be filled with that majestic sadness that is the pleasure of tragedy.
Seriously how many people read the last book before it was printed and didn't notice all those errors? Unless she's making nuanced tweaks to the story's flow all the time that we're not even aware of, she has no business being an editor.

And considering RJ's seeming opinion of women, he was probably all, "Sure, wife, you can proofread my book. Aw that's cute."

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

Maytag posted:

Seriously how many people read the last book before it was printed and didn't notice all those errors? Unless she's making nuanced tweaks to the story's flow all the time that we're not even aware of, she has no business being an editor.

And considering RJ's seeming opinion of women, he was probably all, "Sure, wife, you can proofread my book. Aw that's cute."

Lots of people read the book and didn't see the errors. Hell, I read the book and didn't see them. A decent chunk of the fan community leadership were beta-readers and didn't find them (the ones listed in the dedication). The last book was very rushed, and the long edit cycle for this last one is a (possible over) reaction to that.

She's been the WoT editor all along (and did Ender's Game prior to WoT). In fact, that's how they met. Were there lots of errors in the previous books? I don't remember many, but I've already admitted I didn't see them in the latest book, so I'm a poor judge.

Harriet white-knighting in this post. Which reminds me, I should register for Jordancon soon.

Vaevicti
Dec 20, 2011

Cartoon Man posted:

Here's the latest on when the next Stormlight book is coming, courtesy of Brandon's Twitter.

Wow, early next year? Brandon is a freaking writing machine. Considering he has not even started it yet, he would have to have this finished by early summer to have a early 2012 release.

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

Vaevicti posted:

Wow, early next year? Brandon is a freaking writing machine. Considering he has not even started it yet, he would have to have this finished by early summer to have a early 2012 release.

Dude's been speaking to truck drivers.

"Really? So you guys take meth just to keep up 80+ hour weeks? drat, I have to try this stuff!"

MartingaleJack
Aug 26, 2004

I'll split you open and I don't even like coconuts.
Harriet is the general editor, not a copy editor. While she probably does point out mistakes when she finds them, she deals with larger picture stuff like structure and the placement of chapters.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
Of course certain publishers have decided that isn't true, and editors' time is best spent trawling through manuscripts looking for inane crap to save a few bucks!

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

fordan posted:

She's been the WoT editor all along (and did Ender's Game prior to WoT). In fact, that's how they met. Were there lots of errors in the previous books?

Yes. Although there's way more in the later ones.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I ate your Mahler avatar! Hahahaha!
Yeah, there were some glaring copy-editing errors that should have been caught with one decent round of editing. Hopefully the longer editing cycle makes them do better on AMoL.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

:siren: :siren: :siren: :siren:

As was posted by somebody earlier, Brandon Sanderson went to take a dump and finished writing a completely original novella, Legion, which will be out this fall! What the hell?!

http://subterraneanpress.com/index.php/2012/01/31/announcing-legion-a-brand-new-novella-by-brandon-sanderson/

PREORDER PAGE HERE: http://www.subterraneanpress.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=sanderson01&Category_Code=PRE&Product_Count=28

:siren: :siren: :siren: :siren:

quote:

Stephen Leeds, AKA “Legion,” is a man whose unique mental condition allows him to generate a multitude of personae: hallucinatory entities with a wide variety of personal characteristics and a vast array of highly specialized skills. As the story begins, Leeds and his “aspects” are drawn into the search for the missing Balubal Razon, inventor of a camera whose astonishing properties could alter our understanding of human history and change the very structure of society. The action ranges from the familiar environs of America to the ancient, divided city of Jerusalem. Along the way, Sanderson touches on a formidable assortment of complex questions: the nature of time, the mysteries of the human mind, the potential uses of technology, and the volatile connection between politics and faith. Resonant, intelligent, and thoroughly absorbing, Legion is a provocative entertainment from a writer of great originality and seemingly limitless gifts.

This came completely out of nowhere...
:stare:

I follow his blog and twitter pretty regularly, and he has never mentioned this at all up till this point.

Cartoon Man fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Feb 2, 2012

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

Seriously, you guys, he's a machine.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
What's the chance of a paperback in the future, or is this a limited thing?

Cheapest price is $37 outside USA/Canada :negative:

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?
I am convinced that he does not actually sleep.

Clockwork Gadget
Oct 30, 2008

tick tock
brandon no my wallet

:negative:

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug
He better not freakin' die before finishing Stormlight Archives.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

calandryll posted:

He better not freakin' die before finishing Stormlight Archives.

He'll be done in ten years.

just kidding because he'll take breaks to write more books

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

bowmore posted:

What's the chance of a paperback in the future, or is this a limited thing?

From what I've seen, SubPress's novellas seem to take years to be available anywhere else, if ever.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
They should at least release an ebook. Maybe I can get my girlfriend to buy it for me. :frogc00l:

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Kreeblah posted:

From what I've seen, SubPress's novellas seem to take years to be available anywhere else, if ever.

Who is Subpress? I'm curious why Brandon would release a book with them instead of Tor. Could he have a friend that works there and owes him a favor? Any chance for an e-book version of this?

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Cartoon Man posted:

Who is Subpress? I'm curious why Brandon would release a book with them instead of Tor. Could he have a friend that works there and owes him a favor? Any chance for an e-book version of this?

A small imprint that specializes in producing high-quality limited editions of SF and Fantasy novels and short stories. I have some of their stuff, expensive but very, very pretty. Especially the artwork they do for the books is often breathtaking.

http://subterraneanpress.com/

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Decius posted:

A small imprint that specializes in producing high-quality limited editions of SF and Fantasy novels and short stories. I have some of their stuff, expensive but very, very pretty. Especially the artwork they do for the books is often breathtaking.

Well that explains the high cost. I'll wait for Brandon or somebody to release a bit more information about this. I loved all the artwork in TWOK, if this has something similar, maybey I'll bite. The premise definately sounds awesome, something like Killer 7.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

bowmore posted:

They should at least release an ebook. Maybe I can get my girlfriend to buy it for me. :frogc00l:

Based on some of their previous stuff, it'll take anywhere from six months to a year to get the novella into ebook format. That's assuming they don't do a second printing, which is actually quite likely given how popular this will be.

As for another print edition... Perhaps when/if (when) Sanderson has written enough short stories to warrant a collection. That's how Backup by Jim Butcher managed to get reprinted.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Decius posted:

Yeah, they do stuff like this (just got the third one a couple days ago):

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

So is this like a status symbol kind of thing? Do they only choose very select authors?

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Kreeblah posted:

Yeah, they do stuff like this (just got the third one a couple days ago):

My copy of the third arrived today. Unfortunately I'm out of town so I won't be able to see it until Saturday. It's nice to see another SubPress collector in the Book Barn, I thought I was the only one :v:.

quote:

So is this like a status symbol kind of thing? Do they only choose very select authors?

Yes and no, but mostly yes. They have a quarterly(?) magazine that I believe anyone can submit stuff to, and if you get published in that enough, your chances of getting them to publish a collection of your stuff, or a novella, goes up dramatically.

thecallahan
Nov 15, 2004

Since I was five Tara, all I've ever wanted was a Harley and cut.
I'd love to get the Abercrombie books but only the third is in stock, not just going to buy one of the trilogy after all. I'll keep my out eye out though for any Locke Lamora or Sanderson releases.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Well, he didn't write it while taking a poo poo, but instead on the flight back home from France. Here's his blog post on it.
http://brandonsanderson.com/blog/1053/New-novella-Legion-up-for-preorder-at-Subterranean-Press

Brandon Sanderson posted:

"Legion" is a novella I wrote on the flight home from France last summer. It came from an idea I'd been kicking around in my head for a few months, and the time seemed right to explore it on paper.

As it turned out very well, I sent it out to my agent—and we had a Hollywood option by the end of the year. Immediately, readers started to ask when they would see it. The thing is, it wasn't long enough for me to do as a full Tor release, and I didn't have time (while working on A MEMORY OF LIGHT) to expand it to something longer.

The solution was to do a Subterranean Press edition. They do fantastic collector's editions of books and novellas, and I had been wanting to work with them for a while. (Peter Brett, for example, spoke in high praise of what they did with on of his novellas.)

This story is a modern-day thriller/mystery with some science fiction undertones. It's about 17,000 words, and :siren: I will do an ebook release of it (priced at a couple of bucks) around the same time as the Subterranean version.

Anyway, hope you enjoy it! It's due out sometime in the summer or fall this year.

Best,

Brandon

Thanks for the e-book Brandon, I was worried about shelling out for the subterranean version. :ohdear:

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I was about to post that. :argh: Honestly, it's close enough. He wrote a novella on a flight home. That is insane.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

He's in Taiwan now and was tweeting about a 21 hour flight just to get there...

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug

Cartoon Man posted:

That's at least 2 or 3 books right there.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

Cartoon Man posted:

Looks like we're going to get another Mistborn book! :D

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

thecallahan posted:

I'd love to get the Abercrombie books but only the third is in stock, not just going to buy one of the trilogy after all. I'll keep my out eye out though for any Locke Lamora or Sanderson releases.

Well you're too late for the Lynch books. But Legion is the first Sanderson offering by SubPress.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

I just finished Warbreaker because I saw the thread, and hey, my kindle always has room for a free book. Is there a recommended next read if I want to read something more by the guy? The Mistborn Trilogy?

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

If you liked Warbreaker, Elantris is the most similar in tone and is also standalone (for now; he's talked about doing a sequel at some point). Mistborn would also be a good choice though. Way of Kings is excellent, but it's the first and only novel in a projected 10-book series, so maybe not the best choice for a second read.

Honestly, though, they're all loving great, so just pick whichever and have fun with it. :)

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

Mahlertov Cocktail posted:

If you liked Warbreaker, Elantris is the most similar in tone and is also standalone (for now; he's talked about doing a sequel at some point).

You've got it backwards, it's Warbreaker he wants to make a sequel to :eng101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

404GoonNotFound posted:

You've got it backwards, it's Warbreaker he wants to make a sequel to :eng101:

I actually thought that he had talked about doing sequels for both, but I guess either way I posted a lie. :shobon: