Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Pretty much the same boat I'm in. I really wanna see Ghost, but I'm not into Mastodon really and I've seen Opeth twice already, plus I didn't care for Heritage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I wouldn't even have these thoughts if whatever happened last time... didn't.

Enslaved - Alcest - Ghost -- would have been a perfect night!

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

I saw that show on the NY stop. Junius was cool and all, and Alcest was incredible, but no Ghost was beyond disappointing.

Fingat
May 17, 2004

Shhh. My Common Sense is Tingling

Well I guess I should go see ghost since they are actually playing right in my city and not in Worcester like usual. Opeth is hit or miss for me but I like Akerfeldt, same for Mastodon but Ill admit I do like the hunter.

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

Sir, we have located the Bioweapon.
College Slice

aliencowboy posted:

I was kind of on the fence about this sound at first, but now I can't stop mashing the play button to listen to it again. It has an organ solo followed by a sax solo followed by a guitar solo and ends on a whistle chorus. :stare:

I have listened to this on repeat 4 times so far and see a couple more plays coming up. What strange but enjoyable music.

Also, enjoy this treat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wIbJ-BfF0K0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wIbJ-BfF0K0&feature=related

henpod fucked around with this message at 13:38 on Feb 2, 2012

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

henpod posted:

I have listened to this on repeat 4 times so far and see a couple more plays coming up. What strange but enjoyable music.

Also, enjoy this treat.

Oh man I came across those cover videos the other day and watched way too many of them. I'm not sure what's going on there but you'll see a lot of the musicians switch instruments in different videos, and as funny as most of the singers are there are actually some decent musicians. I think it's some sort of monthly cover band thing some studio does over in Japan or something.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

QPZIL posted:

That tour is coming to Charlotte, NC on May 10th and I can't wait.

Welp that's two trips up there in my future

Hellwuzzat
Nov 28, 2008
Thanks to whoever suggested Barren Earth. "Flicker", mmmmmm.

Stay Safe
Sep 1, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

henpod posted:

Also, enjoy this treat.

Better than the original imho

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I confess that I really like the first Dragonforce album. :negative:

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

Hellwuzzat posted:

Thanks to whoever suggested Barren Earth. "Flicker", mmmmmm.

:cheers: Also there's this to get excited about http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BxRyOlPBLM8

I Brake For MILFs
Jan 9, 2007

:syoon:

Vintersorg posted:

I'm pretty sure that the first Dragonforce album could be considered power metal which means you SHOULD feel guilty about liking it. That being said, I'll gladly blast a couple Symphony X records as loud as possible....in my headphones.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

The only Symphony X album I listen to regularly is their first... I'm broken.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Vintersorg posted:

The only Symphony X album I listen to regularly is their first... I'm broken.

That's the only one I can't listen to. :psyduck:

Durendal
Jan 25, 2008

Who made you God to say
"I'll take your sheep from you?"

Wait when did Symphony X start to get lumped in with Dragonforce? For that matter you guys didn't like V?

Ahhhhhhhhhhhh :psypop:

baby duck hat
Jan 29, 2005
baby duck hat

Stoat posted:

Grey Waters is totally my favourite and he's put it on hiatus :argh:

Oh yeah, Grey Waters is great too! Sounds like he's done the album but either Tim or the studio have lost interest in completing it. Shame, it was a promising EP.

I Brake For MILFs
Jan 9, 2007

:syoon:

Durendal posted:

Wait when did Symphony X start to get lumped in with Dragonforce? For that matter you guys didn't like V?

Ahhhhhhhhhhhh :psypop:

Well, it was either them or Sonata Arctica, although their first album is pretty god drat good too.

Durendal
Jan 25, 2008

Who made you God to say
"I'll take your sheep from you?"

I can get behind that, even if all three bands radically altered their style after becoming a little more main stream . Sonata Arctica gave up on their old sound after Reckoning Night, on the other hand Symphony X still has some old neo classical stuff kicking around in Iconoclast. Hell, When All is Lost is one of their best songs in my opinion.

Fun little story, back when The Odyssey was released my friends and I went to go see Symphony X perform in Minneapolis. We managed to get lost and asked some guys who we figured were also heading to the concert for directions. They told us they were playing at this place a little bit further down the road, turns out we asked Blind Guardian directions to their own show :downs: .

Any ways we get there and wait for the terrible opening act to get done and finally Symphony X got up on stage. There may have been 60 people there at the timeand only played a short set, Blind Gaurdian had like 200 or so people later and played a marathon of a set. Flash forward to last summer when they were doing their tour for Iconoclast, that same place was packed with around 700 people. This time though they were all there for Symphony X and it loving ruled.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

lordblytzkrieg posted:

I'm pretty sure that the first Dragonforce album could be considered power metal which means you SHOULD feel guilty about liking it. That being said, I'll gladly blast a couple Symphony X records as loud as possible....in my headphones.
There is nothing wrong with liking power metal! Or even if there is, you should still listen to it proudly and with your head up high, like me.

It has to be good power metal though. poo poo like Hammerfall and Rhapsody (of Fire) can go gently caress themselves with a rake.

Madox
Oct 25, 2004
Recedite, plebes!
You can't bash Hammerfall and then not clarify what 'good' power metal is, so start clarifyin'!

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

Good power metal pretty much lives and dies as Helloween's Walls of Jericho and Keeper of the Seven Keys. Manowar can be a lot of fun in an overly-enthusiastic, but awkward 80's pro-wrestling sort of way.

burzum karaoke fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Feb 3, 2012

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Madox posted:

You can't bash Hammerfall and then not clarify what 'good' power metal is, so start clarifyin'!
Well, Helloween up until The Dark Ride, even though Chameleon is an... experimental album to say the least.
Lost Horizon.
Gamma Ray.
Edguy, when they are playing power metal and not something else. I love all of their material dearly, but it's certainly not all power metal.

As for Hammerfall, well their two first albums have some decent and even good songs (I used to be a huge fan as a teenager), but after that they went steeply downhill and got even more boring. Also, Joacim Cans sounds like a weak, dickless pansy. It's called power metal, not whining metal, goddamnit.

Gaggins
Nov 20, 2007

Vintersorg posted:

Hahaha, I feel the same way. I got it as a gift from a my brother's Japanese girlfriend a long time ago and was like, "lol Japan" but it is so cheesy and infectious that I really enjoy it for exercise or long car rides. I even bought the second album, which sounds kind of similar but has none of the cheesy purity of the first one.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.
Man, I remember those guys when they were DragonHeart, their logo was in the Diablo font, and they were distributed through MP3.com. This discussion is making me feel old. :(

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

Misogynist posted:

Man, I remember those guys when they were DragonHeart, their logo was in the Diablo font, and they were distributed through MP3.com. This discussion is making me feel old. :(

Remember when they were Demoniac? An actual good (well, decent at least) band.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Misogynist posted:

Haha holy poo poo, I remember this too. MP3.com was great. I'm pretty sure that's where I found out about Blind Guardian and Iced Earth.

Hulk Krogan fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Feb 3, 2012

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Durendal posted:

Any ways we get there and wait for the terrible opening act to get done and finally Symphony X got up on stage. There may have been 60 people there at the timeand only played a short set, Blind Gaurdian had like 200 or so people later and played a marathon of a set. Flash forward to last summer when they were doing their tour for Iconoclast, that same place was packed with around 700 people. This time though they were all there for Symphony X and it loving ruled.

Haha, the first time I saw Symphony X it had to have been that same tour because BG was headlining and we had no idea who they were at that point either. The venue was packed then and last summer, but Jaxx is a tiny dive of a place anyway and probably can't even hold 200 people.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

IRQ posted:

Haha, the first time I saw Symphony X it had to have been that same tour because BG was headlining and we had no idea who they were at that point either. The venue was packed then and last summer, but Jaxx is a tiny dive of a place anyway and probably can't even hold 200 people.

I'm pretty sure that I was at the Seattle show of that tour. The Graceland, I think was the name of the venue. Scary it's been close to 10 years ago now.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Drifter287 posted:

where I found out about Blind Guardian

When I was in fourth grade, my family hosted an exchange student from Germany, and he brought the Nightfall in Middle Earth album with him.

I listened to the title track over and over again on repeat for weeks :3:

Defiant Sally
May 6, 2004

Focus your Orochi.

QPZIL posted:

When I was in fourth grade, my family hosted an exchange student from Germany, and he brought the Nightfall in Middle Earth album with him.

I listened to the title track over and over again on repeat for weeks :3:

That man changed your life.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum
Falconer isn't too bad, and this is folk metal right?

I don't really care for Moonsorrow. It has too much black metal influence for my tastes, and 3 out of 8 songs on their albums are sub one minute tracks of people walking through snow, grunting with labored breathing and sniffling their noses. I hate that poo poo.

The Capitulator posted:

My theory is that most metalheads dislike them purely because they are big / popular and high school kids like them. But you never know these days.

I personally like some of their slower material (eg. Walk With Me in Hell, Descending), especially drumming - the guy has a very distinct style and sound, at least in my opinion. But yes, they are the Pantera of this generation and yes, most of their material is very bland / generic.

I had my metal cred called into question when Necrophagist shirts started showing up at Hot Topic. I was so pissed that somehow, Necrophagist became trendy to in-a-box kids that shop at Hot Topic. I still like them for their stupidly technical seven string guitar, and their lyrics smack of Carcass' style with medical and disease influences.

lite_sleepr fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Feb 3, 2012

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

It is now safe to turn off your computer.

MrBling posted:

Hah, Diccon Harper from Voice of Destruction down here played for them!

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Packard Goose posted:

I had my metal cred called into question when Necrophagist shirts started showing up at Hot Topic. I was so pissed that somehow, Necrophagist became trendy to in-a-box kids that shop at Hot Topic. I still like them for their stupidly technical seven string guitar, and their lyrics smack of Carcass' style with medical and disease influences.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum

Misogynist posted:

hiproduct.jpg you say?

I'm still keeping my Necrophagist.

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional

MrBling posted:

Demoniac's lyrics would probably turn 99% of Dragonforce's fans right off both bands immediately :lol:

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

It is now safe to turn off your computer.

Misogynist posted:

Please tell me there's a pic of this guy modelling a Burzum shirt.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Packard Goose posted:

Falconer isn't too bad, and this is folk metal right?

Yeah. Folk/power metal generally. They're way more folky on their latest release.

Packard Goose posted:

I don't really care for Moonsorrow. It has too much black metal influence for my tastes

I always found them to be a bit ostentatious, but a good deal of folk metal right now has black metal tinges. Also black metal is pretty awesome so you should try to get over that.

fappenmeister
Nov 19, 2004

My hand wields the might

Radio Paranoia posted:

Please tell me there's a pic of this guy modelling a Burzum shirt.

Just under ten years ago I was flicking through a cooking magazine here in Australia and stumbled upon a striking image. Twas an Aboriginal fellow picking some form of fruit, wearing a long sleeve Burzum shirt.

We also had/have this too. It's pretty drat interesting. http://www.vice.com/read/aboriginal-headbanging-167-v15n8 Aboriginal gangs that use metal band names and imagery.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I'm listening to the remixes on a few Death albums and it's really hit or miss depending on which album. I personally think that Individual Thought Patters benefited more from its original mixing, however Human definitely sounds better now that you can hear DiGiorgio higher up in the mix.

My issue with a few old school death and thrash metal albums is that the mix is generally too treble heavy for me. It's not that I don't mind the guitar tone or anything, but either the vocals or the bass are completely mired down. It's for this same reason that I enjoy the alternative mixes on Storm of the Light's Bane. Every instrument sounds a bit clearer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum

IRQ posted:

Yeah. Folk/power metal generally. They're way more folky on their latest release.

I always found them to be a bit ostentatious, but a good deal of folk metal right now has black metal tinges. Also black metal is pretty awesome so you should try to get over that.

I would but way too much of it is vehemently anti-Christian. This is also why I was turned off Slayer quite a bit :(

I do love me some Immortal though.