Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

100% digital native web developer

YF19pilot posted:

On the first lap of the first race of the GTCC run last night, I ended up on my side at the second to last corner on Iberian. Here are some things that happened:

This guy (greg) is a jerk:

Man this is like the one time I don't crash into someone, and I still get called a jerk.

It doesn't have my livery either. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fortuitous Bumble
Jan 5, 2007

Cojawfee posted:

The only problem is that Forza does not model any of this. Every car has the exact same electronic aids as any other car. So a Ford Ka is getting the same traction control as a Ferrari 458. This kind of sucks for cars like the GT-R which uses all those computer to go fast.

Anyway, just use whatever you want. I tend to use TCS with R1 cars because they simply don't get traction unless you are constantly checking the throttle, which I've gotten better at, but it's still requires a lot of finesse at that amount of power.

Their developer guy claimed in an interview that they modeled the effects of a lot of the high tech computer stuff (like AWD torque control things) in newer cars. Though I'm not sure how you do that on modern cars without traction control getting involved. The problem with the way Forza does it is you're stuck with '80s era ABS and TCS if you turn them on, because they wanted to reward players who drove without assists, so they just slow you down unless the car is totally uncontrollable without assists, even if you're driving a modern car with a computer that can outlaunch and outbrake any human

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
Even though I know I'm getting slower times without assists I just don't have as much fun without them on. I feel like half the fun of turning, especially in the real high end cars, is that exit feeling of "ooh, ohhhh...okay I can start going again, WHOA TOO MUCH, okay okay we're back now aaaaaand warp 9 mr. worf". All the cars just feel too tamed with them on.

I will not give up my ABS though. I try to brake smoothe but when I'm forced to do it I tend to brake waaaaaaay to early all the time.

Edit: and thank you for the AUGR club confirm, I now have a reasonable number of people to fight against on the rivals board. I spent all of yesterday doing the A-Class drift, the Senna top gear challenge and the Nurb top gear challenge.

Intel&Sebastian fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Feb 3, 2012

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

Dr. Faustus posted:

Here's the video from my replay of the initial wipeout.
The sounds of his dead engine and transmission are absolutely killing me, hahaha.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

LiquidRain posted:

The sounds of his dead engine and transmission are absolutely killing me, hahaha.

Car wants to go so badly but the singularity keeps pulling him in!

Never change, Forza Lag. :allears:

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

I'm all about the Alfa's and after barely making an appearance in 3, I'm glad they're coming out in force this time around. There have been Alfa's in pretty much every car pack, so I'm glad that people out there in the community (and hopefully in this thread) share my love.

I wish they'd include more vintage Alfa's though. The GTA and Montreal are fantastic cars.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

ANAmal.net posted:

Man this is like the one time I don't crash into someone, and I still get called a jerk.

It doesn't have my livery either. :smith:

Don't worry too much, I just didn't have enough space to upload photos of everyone who spun out near me. You were just the closest to hitting me who didn't.

Edmund Honda
Sep 27, 2003

Frosted Flake posted:

I wish they'd include more vintage Alfa's though. The GTA and Montreal are fantastic cars.

:allears:

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
My replay shows all the liveries. I'll get some good shots over the weekend and share them. That mini-chicane was like a graveyard by the end of the race and getting through it safely was like attempting the Kessel Run.

I do still need a replay of the spec Mustang race on Bernie's, please.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Frosted Flake posted:

All you really need is the Giulia which is one of the best looking cars ever. :allears:

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Well I'm installing the 2nd disc and I want to get into the goon love. I'm also a terrible driver. Is there a Goon car club for someone like me?

Mac Tonight
Mar 12, 2006

aw yeah tahts it man

Liku posted:

Well I'm installing the 2nd disc and I want to get into the goon love. I'm also a terrible driver. Is there a Goon car club for someone like me?

My lack of overall car knowledge and poor racing skills have made me reluctant to join. I don't want to ruin anyone's race haha.

Speedtek can attest to how great I did on the Rampage challenger rival race (hoo boy)

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak

Intel&Sebastian posted:

I will not give up my ABS though. I try to brake smoothe but when I'm forced to do it I tend to brake waaaaaaay to early all the time.

I was the same until I had a few online games where it was forced off and I'm never going back.

You just need to train your finger to not go full lock on the trigger. You can break much later into the turns and it just feels much better.

If it's no one on here, then it doesn't matter, but if it is send a request to AUGR, I'm nuking AFGS as of now and sending a request to AUGR.

Actually Tehsid, you've been promoted to leader of AFGS. Do of it as you will!

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

It is always nice to sign into Forza for the first time in a week at get 17 Your Rival Has Beaten You messages.

General Probe
Dec 28, 2004
Has this been done before?
Soiled Meat
When in doubt, apply to AUGR, this will give you access to a nice active rivals community, plus we run pretty regular informal races is addition to whatever serious/spec race happens to be going on whenever someone can get ~4 or more players together. It's fun, obviously don't run into anyone on purpose, but "poo poo happens" often enough that no one is really butthurt if you lose control and send half the pack flying off the course. Plus gimmick races like Virus and Cat & Mouse!

crabfriend
Oct 12, 2010

NO
I haven't played online in a while and would love to get back into it, wondering if anyone in GISH still plays semi-regularly?

right, I'm a dummy and just read the post under the OP. Sent a request to AUGR with GT sfrofu.
This probably isn't how I'm meant to apply oh god.

crabfriend fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Feb 3, 2012

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?

djfooboo posted:

The 4GB model is a lie.
It's ideal for people who are upgrading from an elite old model and have an idea of how to get the HDD out of the caddy. (read: pulling it apart with pliers).

I did just that once my elite model started to not read discs a week ago.

Scirocco Griffon
Feb 3, 2012

Frosted Flake posted:

I'm all about the Alfa's and after barely making an appearance in 3, I'm glad they're coming out in force this time around. There have been Alfa's in pretty much every car pack, so I'm glad that people out there in the community (and hopefully in this thread) share my love.

An Alfasud Sprint would be pretty cool to tinker around with.

Granted they'd need to find one that hasn't rusted into oblivion by now, not easy since most of them had rust spots by the time they hit the dealers thanks to a stupid decision to use ungalvanized metal for the body.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Scirocco Griffon posted:

thanks to a stupid decision to use ungalvanized metal for the body.

Ahhh, the 70's. :allears:

(and chunks of the 80's)

From orange carpet to disco to cars that rolled off the lot with rust, there wasn't much they did right back then.

Scirocco Griffon
Feb 3, 2012

xzzy posted:

Ahhh, the 70's. :allears:

(and chunks of the 80's)

From orange carpet to disco to cars that rolled off the lot with rust, there wasn't much they did right back then.

There have been entire books written about the automotive industry during the mid '70s to early '80s, and how pretty much everyone across the globe was cocking up left and right. Heck, just looking at how much damage British Leyland did to the UK auto market over the years is kinda shocking in itself.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Mostly it was just that painting techniques and supplies were a million miles behind where they are now, and the manufacture of cars was a lot more casual. One of the coachbuilders used to ship entire bodies to BMW/Mercedes on open trucks with only the lightest coats of primer to protect them from the elements.

They also didn't have access to the same level of cheap and quick computer modeling that car companies have now, so it was quite easy to accidentally design water-trapping panels without realizing it - you couldn't just run a full simulation of hydrodynamic principals through a range of wind speeds on your laptop every time you changed a fender or a trim line.

The paint mostly though.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
I am the king of A class goon drifting. Come at me, brothers.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Ether Frenzy posted:

Mostly it was just that painting techniques and supplies were a million miles behind where they are now, and the manufacture of cars was a lot more casual. One of the coachbuilders used to ship entire bodies to BMW/Mercedes on open trucks with only the lightest coats of primer to protect them from the elements.

They also didn't have access to the same level of cheap and quick computer modeling that car companies have now, so it was quite easy to accidentally design water-trapping panels without realizing it - you couldn't just run a full simulation of hydrodynamic principals through a range of wind speeds on your laptop every time you changed a fender or a trim line.

The paint mostly though.

And yet the 50's and 60's weren't nearly as notorious for shoddy quality, and they didn't have any fancy computers either. :colbert:

There was some serious problems in the 70's, which was really bad news for high school kids in the 80's because it meant every single car in the parking lot was a hollowed out piece of poo poo.

General Probe
Dec 28, 2004
Has this been done before?
Soiled Meat

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Yes congratulations on beating my drifting "monster" the Ferrari 360. :colbert: But don't worry I'll get around to it. Also good racing tonight from everyone...well maybe not good racing but fun racing :)

Lediur
Jul 16, 2007
The alternative to anything is nothing.
I just came back from playing a little Shift 2 and I couldn't help but notice that, while the driving mechanics were noticeably "arcadier" than Forza's, the damage is a hell of a lot better. Things actually break.

Stuff to look forward to in Forza 5 on the next gen Xbox, I guess?

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

General Probe posted:

When in doubt, apply to AUGR, this will give you access to a nice active rivals community, plus we run pretty regular informal races is addition to whatever serious/spec race happens to be going on whenever someone can get ~4 or more players together. It's fun, obviously don't run into anyone on purpose, but "poo poo happens" often enough that no one is really butthurt if you lose control and send half the pack flying off the course. Plus gimmick races like Virus and Cat & Mouse!

Cool, expect an request from "Liku Somberlain" tomorrow then.

Kraxor
May 7, 2006
You did what for a bag of peanuts?!
I just requested AUGR, gamertag DJKrafty. I'd appreciate the acceptance in to the brotherhood of gasoline and rubber.

AaronB
Jan 9, 2011

Intel&Sebastian posted:

I've played for ~50 hours so far and still don't have a "perfect" drift in the records section ...

Scirocco Griffon
Feb 3, 2012

xzzy posted:

And yet the 50's and 60's weren't nearly as notorious for shoddy quality, and they didn't have any fancy computers either. :colbert:

There was some serious problems in the 70's, which was really bad news for high school kids in the 80's because it meant every single car in the parking lot was a hollowed out piece of poo poo.

I think it was mostly a double whammy of the oil crisis forcing car companies to try and cut costs anywhere they could, and more importantly the concept of planned obsolescence really kicking in. Cars just weren't being designed to serve as a family investment that lasted for years anymore.

And on another note, I'm not sure if this is a bug or it happens in the real car but once you've gone past the top speed on the Omni GLHS's speedometer, instead of stopping at 85mph it just keeps on going around, which is hilarious. Also that car is a lot more fun when you do an RWD swap on it.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Are y'all driftin now? This may sway me back from FIFA :wth:

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Lediur posted:

I just came back from playing a little Shift 2 and I couldn't help but notice that, while the driving mechanics were noticeably "arcadier" than Forza's, the damage is a hell of a lot better. Things actually break.

Stuff to look forward to in Forza 5 on the next gen Xbox, I guess?

I have a big giant grocery list of things I want to see in Forza 5. Since it's likely to be a next gen title, I hope we can finally get some of the things that we've been asking for since Forza 2.

AaronB
Jan 9, 2011
Turn 10 should obviously put my lovely '02 Neon in Forza 5 so everyone can enjoy it. :colbert:

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate

I said come in! posted:

I have a big giant grocery list of things I want to see in Forza 5. Since it's likely to be a next gen title, I hope we can finally get some of the things that we've been asking for since Forza 2.

One of the things I thought about the other day: letting clubs create rival challenges for within the club.

And another thing I want is a free play trackday mode. All I wanna do is drive my M5 on the 'Ring and overtake some cars from a class I specify.

I'm sure there are tons of things. More cars and tracks are a given - content always is - but there are things I'd like them to expand on and completely new game mechanics they can implement.

Career mode as it is now? Sure, keep it. But create a new "hardcore" career mode for those who want a more gritty race season. Here you can buy a beater and have a budget for the season - tyres, mods, and more*. Now stick with it for 12 races (one race a month on a virtual yearly calendar) and take a huge purse at the end of it. Miss a race and you don't score points. I'd stop short of suggesting any dumb RPG elements like the some of the Codemasters or EA racers, where you have to impress sponsors and do gimmick career things. This "series" system could even be transposed onto multiplayer. Imagine running a GTCC series where you show up for a race that's already been pencilled into the club's online calendar.

The reason I think I'd like this is because a part of me feels that the challenge (and some fun) is sucked out of the game throwing cars and money at you. I'd rather feel like I worked for it. Friends who participate in real racing use one car and stick with it for a season. They'll share a car sometimes, or drive somebody else's car once in a while, but the series they've entered into gets scored and completed in a single car.

Like I said, keep the existing career and modes, but offer an option for guys who want a more focussed experience.

*I'm hesitant to suggest something like an advanced damage system where part of your budget is maintaining the car. It's been tried in some games and feels like a grind, but it worked well as a time/repairs trade-off in the first Colin McRae games.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

AaronB posted:

Turn 10 should obviously put my lovely '02 Neon in Forza 5 so everyone can enjoy it. :colbert:

I agree. Also, they included all these Civics and NSXs, but not the best possible Honda, a beige 1997 accord.

Edit: Also agreeing with Hello Spaceman. A gimmick career with seriously trash cars would be funny. At the start you get to choose between like a Buick LeSabre with only reverse and 3rd gear working or a Morris Marina that has had its engine deteriorate to 35 HP.

projecthalaxy fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Feb 4, 2012

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Virtua Racing in the mid 90's had Pit Crews.
Viper Racing from the late 90's had realistic vehicle damage.
SportsCar GT had realistic Weather, also from the 90's.

Fortuitous Bumble
Jan 5, 2007

Hello Spaceman posted:

The reason I think I'd like this is because a part of me feels that the challenge (and some fun) is sucked out of the game throwing cars and money at you. I'd rather feel like I worked for it. Friends who participate in real racing use one car and stick with it for a season. They'll share a car sometimes, or drive somebody else's car once in a while, but the series they've entered into gets scored and completed in a single car.

Like I said, keep the existing career and modes, but offer an option for guys who want a more focussed experience.

*I'm hesitant to suggest something like an advanced damage system where part of your budget is maintaining the car. It's been tried in some games and feels like a grind, but it worked well as a time/repairs trade-off in the first Colin McRae games.

I missed the car RPG aspects from Gran Turismo, its just that I'd eventually get to the point where I had worked all the way up to having some awesome race cars and winning the highest ranked races in the game and I just wanted to gently caress around without having to worry about imaginary money or used car lots every time I wanted to do something cool. Progressive racing seasons sound like a kind of cool balance though.

One thing that would be kind of funny is if you could get heavy discounts on racing upgrades by plastering your car with automotive logos. It would probably end up being really stupid to work with in reality though.

projecthalaxy posted:

I agree. Also, they included all these Civics and NSXs, but not the best possible Honda, a beige 1997 accord.

I'd prefer the far more illustrious beige 1995 accord. Forza is seriously lacking in its selection of slow econo-sedans

Scirocco Griffon
Feb 3, 2012

Hello Spaceman posted:

Maybe a long-term damage system where even though repairs are made, gradually over time the car starts becoming more and more easily wrecked if you keep smashing it up. GRID kindasorta did this if you bought used race cars in career mode; you would have three options with different amounts of terminal crashes recorded. The more terminal crashes a car had the cheaper it would be to buy, but it would also be more fragile. So hitting a tire wall at 50mph in a car with 0 crashes might mess up the steering and bodywork some, but the same impact in a car with 4 or 5 crashes would probably total it and end your race right there.

In Forza terms, it could probably take the form of a damage multiplier that increases the more the "CR spent on repairs" stat goes up. By the time the repair costs got close to the value of the car you'd either have to treat it like you were driving on eggshells or just get rid of it and pony up the cash for another one.

It would probably be a lot less tolerable in practice than it sounds in my head, though.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
I miss qualy from GT3 for some stupid reason.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Also, this may just be me, but sometimes I am not playing this for the super realistic driving simulation, I am playing it for the escapism/fantasy aspect. This may be because my car interest strays more toward the academic/collector side than the racing side. A lot of the suggested features play into that. For instance, I would love a walkaround garage for my cars. Not necessarily Autovista levels of polish, but that same sort of idea. It would make the already awesome experience of flipping through the garage menu going "Let's see, should I take out the McLaren, the SLS, or the Enzo today?" even better. Also, I would like more car customization options. I realize the game is focused on GT-style racing, but I still think it would be fun and not too much of a resource hog to be able to put 24" rims or a bosuzoku wing on my car. Granted, these things would make it hard to race, but that's the tradeoff you risk bringing a donk to Le Mans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

captainOrbital posted:

I miss qualy from GT3 for some stupid reason.

I've thought about this, and in multiplayer it makes sense, but against the A.I.? It's not like you're going to continue with the race unless you placed first in the pole anyways. It's to difficult to make competitive A.I. where there is actually a chance you might not place first.

• Locked thread