Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

destructo
Apr 29, 2006

First Time Caller posted:

http://www.racingbeat.com/manuals/56501.pdf

It "actually makes power." and it's like $30 cheaper than a '99 cowl intake from FM.
Are you familiar with the term "margin of error"? Why do you think that replacing the air box which isn't a flow restriction would make any difference? I'd rather have something that was drawing ambient air for a couple bucks more over something I could construct for $50 including a better filter.

destructo fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Feb 4, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Ziploc posted:

If the anti theft is flashing, it does.

Check your manual.

Thanks! That's the light in the gauge cluster with a little key on it, right? Because it does come on with the ignition for a second but then turns off. The manual I got is useless and shows popup headlights and zipped read window, among other things such as rear seats and doors, so I put off the battery replacement to do a bit of investigation. I did however measure the battery at 12.2-12.3V at the terminals, would this be low enough to cause issues, or should I also try to check the starter as well, as suggested earlier?

First Time Caller
Nov 1, 2004

destructo posted:

Are you familiar with the term "margin of error"? Why do you think that replacing the air box which isn't a flow restriction would make any difference? I'd rather have something that was drawing ambient air for a couple bucks more over something I could construct for $50 including a better filter.

I guess I missed the m.net threads about Racing Beat fudging their dyno numbers. I'd rather not cut a hole in my firewall for the FM intake, though. You'll also miss out on the fast and furious intake noise and (maybe) some throttle response.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE

destructo posted:

Dynos have less margin of error than 10%.

destructo
Apr 29, 2006

FatCow posted:

Dynos have less margin of error than 10%.
I'm aware, independent dyno testing showed a much smaller difference, if anything IIRC.

Time to install my door pulls :v:

beatdown
Mar 6, 2007

Back to the 99 talk, there are some really good deals popping up from time to time, this one just came up at 4.4k and only 60k miles:

http://indianapolis.craigslist.org/cto/2834268370.html

I would be all over that if I was in the market.

First Time Caller
Nov 1, 2004

I wish my '99 got 40 miles to the gallon.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

I wish my '99 got 40 miles to the gallon.

The cars can probably hit close to that on the freeway with real gas (but you have to be doing like 63mph in the right lane). I got 32mpg with 0% ethanol gas @ 80mph.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Phone posted:

The cars can probably hit close to that on the freeway with real gas (but you have to be doing like 63mph in the right lane). I got 32mpg with 0% ethanol gas @ 80mph.

I get that with my 99 on 10% ethanol gas in the summertime. But that was on really hard tires, so it'll probably drop considerably with star specs or RS3's. On the comedy side of things, I got 250km's out of my last 38L of gas, which works out to about 15.5mpg. Joys of an ~8 minute drive to work at <50km/h I guess :v:

TrueChaos fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Feb 4, 2012

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl

beatdown posted:

Back to the 99 talk, there are some really good deals popping up from time to time, this one just came up at 4.4k and only 60k miles:

http://indianapolis.craigslist.org/cto/2834268370.html

I would be all over that if I was in the market.

I dunno, I don't think I could drive a car cousins probably hosed in.

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice

redmercer posted:

I dunno, I don't think I could drive a car cousins probably hosed in.

For that price, I'd buy it, semen stains and all.

In fact, I wish I had $4,500 laying around.

EvilCrayon
Dec 30, 2007
I was wondering what some opinions of Stance Coilovers on Miatas are. I was at a meet last night and as I was advising my friend to just save up for AFCOs from Flyin Miata, her friends came by and started talking about how great stance was.

I've never heard of anybody using this brand on anything performance oriented, seems like most people who went with stance were trying to get their car to look "hellaflush"

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Re: popups and highway driving --
my '90's hood latch was a bit loose, and the hood'd bobble up and down on the highway with the lights down. Pop them up, and the airflow changed enough that the hood would stay down. When I drove long stretches on the highway, I'd leave the lights up just so the hood wouldn't bother me.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc
Am I a terrible person for really liking the way my 96 looks with the generic tire rack steel wheels? Enough so that I'm considering getting a set of star specs on steel for the summer?

Lusso
Jul 1, 2003

8th-samurai posted:

Am I a terrible person for really liking the way my 96 looks with the generic tire rack steel wheels? Enough so that I'm considering getting a set of star specs on steel for the summer?

Nah, I think the NA body wears steelies really well. They're a good match.

beatdown
Mar 6, 2007

How much do those 14x6 steels weight? Tire rack seems to have neglected that bit of info.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

beatdown posted:

How much do those 14x6 steels weight? Tire rack seems to have neglected that bit of info.

The stock 14x5.5 steelies are 18 lbs. Going to a set of daisies drops it down to 12 lbs.

destructo
Apr 29, 2006

EvilCrayon posted:

I was wondering what some opinions of Stance Coilovers on Miatas are. I was at a meet last night and as I was advising my friend to just save up for AFCOs from Flyin Miata, her friends came by and started talking about how great stance was.

I've never heard of anybody using this brand on anything performance oriented, seems like most people who went with stance were trying to get their car to look "hellaflush"
If you'd like to pay 1k for some poo poo chinese coilovers, then by all means, buy the Stance product. Otherwise do some reading and don't forget about FCM and Xida CS.

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
Took my MX-5 for a spin in the snow last night, winter tyres are magical. Last year my old car got stuck on the slightest bit of slush, the Mazda feels unstoppable in comparison, it just keeps trucking along. I've already perfected my :smug: face when pulling away from stop lights past stuck SUV's.

Also I think the tyres saved my rear end last week, managed to hit some black ice mid-corner on my drive in to work one morning. We slid, but I could still point the car and get myself out of trouble.

First Time Caller
Nov 1, 2004

destructo posted:

If you'd like to pay 1k for some poo poo chinese coilovers, then by all means, buy the Stance product. Otherwise do some reading and don't forget about FCM and Xida CS.

And if you DO want to buy poo poo taiwan coilovers, go with Fortune Auto. Assembled in the US with amazing customer service for revalving, etc. I'm pretty happy with mine. Their "digressive" piston in the 500 model isn't great but it's a LOT better with the new 510 model that just came out.

They have shock dyno's if you're interested. They cost just about the same as Stance.

streetlamp
May 7, 2007

Danny likes his party hat
He does not like his banana hat
And they are located just down the road from me, really nice peoples. Hopefully getting a set with my tax return.

destructo
Apr 29, 2006

They have shock dyno's if you're interested. They cost just about the same as Stance.
The shock dyno really isn't that great of a selling point seeing as it illustrates that adjustment has little influence on the shock. That coupled with using the same shock all around really doesn't make me think it's worth the money they're asking for it. The way I see it, either you go cheap (Koni/GC or cheap Chinese coilovers (Megan Street, etc) or you go all the way.

Full disclosure: I have a set of STD R1s on my car that I paid $400 for :v:

destructo fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Feb 5, 2012

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

destructo posted:

The shock dyno really isn't that great of a selling point seeing as it illustrates that adjustment has little influence on the shock. That coupled with using the same shock all around really doesn't make me think it's worth the money they're asking for it. The way I see it, either you go cheap (Koni/GC or cheap Chinese coilovers (Megan Street, etc) or you go all the way.

Full disclosure: I have a set of STD R1s on my car that I paid $400 for :v:

I've always heard that Koni's product was good. So I've been lied to all this time?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Konis are great for shock based cars. Strut based cars have been having issues for the past 2 years.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Phone posted:

Konis are great for shock based cars. Strut based cars have been having issues for the past 2 years.

What can you tell me about BC Racing coilovers? I bought a set based on good reviews and they've been sitting in my garage for close to 9 months.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Never heard of them, but are they these? http://www.gomiata.com/mibcraco19.html

If they are... then you can get a set of FCMs for the same price when they are doing the group buy.

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol

Rhyno posted:

What can you tell me about BC Racing coilovers? I bought a set based on good reviews and they've been sitting in my garage for close to 9 months.

Why haven't you installed those yet man? Me and tonedef said we would help! Now I live in Massachusetts.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Phone posted:

Never heard of them, but are they these? http://www.gomiata.com/mibcraco19.html

If they are... then you can get a set of FCMs for the same price when they are doing the group buy.

Similar, I forgot we were in the Miata thread. I have a Mazdaspeed 6. Here's what I have.
http://www.streetunit.com/BC_Coilover_Kit_Mazda6_p/bc-n-01.htm

Brain Issues posted:

Why haven't you installed those yet man? Me and tonedef said we would help! Now I live in Massachusetts.

I'm busy/lazy! I have a rear motor mount to install as well.

Did I tell you I bought the second set of wheels for winter tires as well? With the total lack of snow I didn't have to shell out for those either.

shadowobsessed
Jul 1, 2010

No worms on the bed!

kimbo305 posted:

Re: popups and highway driving --
my '90's hood latch was a bit loose, and the hood'd bobble up and down on the highway with the lights down. Pop them up, and the airflow changed enough that the hood would stay down. When I drove long stretches on the highway, I'd leave the lights up just so the hood wouldn't bother me.

Thanks for the insight, that's useful. I wasn't sure exactly how they could change the airflow or in what capacity, but I have a better understanding now.

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
SC - Where there are more rednecks than people
Looking to get opinions on this car.
http://columbia.craigslist.org/cto/2835851476.html
Talked to the owner, didnt seem very sketchy. All the modifications were done at some shop in Atlanta that does miatas or so he tells me. Hes looking for the documents to tell if the new rear end is torsion or not. End objective is an autocrosser and back up in case my accord shits the bed.

destructo
Apr 29, 2006

Sadi posted:

Looking to get opinions on this car.
http://columbia.craigslist.org/cto/2835851476.html
Talked to the owner, didnt seem very sketchy. All the modifications were done at some shop in Atlanta that does miatas or so he tells me. Hes looking for the documents to tell if the new rear end is torsion or not. End objective is an autocrosser and back up in case my accord shits the bed.

Craigslist ad posted:

Jackson Racing Exhaust (JR Supercharger bolts right in.)
:lol:

Sounds pretty m.net, looks like a reasonable price if it checks out.

Blaise
Sep 10, 2003
OK so I think I need to get rid of one of my miatas. Aka miata 1.

Miata 1:
1992 Sunburst Yellow
Hard Top and Soft Top
90k miles
Torsen LSD (uninstalled)
FM 1.5 suspension and poly bushings, new ball joints, etc with 5k miles
Dunlop Star Specs with 5k miles
'94+ Brakes
All mechanical stuff up to date
Nice amplified component speaker setup

Miata 2:
1993 Black LE
Hard Top Only
84k miles
FM2 kit, 240whp, big radiator, etc
500/450 springs, revalved Konis
15x9 6ULs
FM Brace, Hard Dog Bar
Momo Seats, Wheel, Harnesses
'01+ Sport Brakes

The things I dislike about the Yellow Miata:
No track hardware (seats, rollbar, etc)
Poor Condition Body
Poor Condition soft top (would need replacement)
Clutch will need replacement

The things I dislike about the Black Miata:
Way too fast for the street, can't really beat on it without risking arrest
500/450 springs seem awful stiff on street, maybe this won't be so bad once I put on RS3s (it has NT01s now)
No Soft top (this sort of cancels out as the yellow one would need a new top anyway)
Race seats/harnesses are kind of a pain for street use

So basically I'd be down for some advice on whether I should keep miata 1, and whether I should change miata 2 at all. Basically it sucks because one is a fantastic street car and the other is a great track car, and any adjustment between the two is a tradeoff. :sigh:

Also, if the right call is to sell the yellow one, how should I do it? I have a fair amount of money in the suspension, the hard top is worth a few bucks, as is the Torsen which is uninstalled. What's this kind of package worth? $3k all together? Less? Worth selling the torsen and top separate?

destructo
Apr 29, 2006
Put the yellow one back to stock, you'll probably end up having to eat the cost of the tires but you shouldn't have an issue finding OEM shocks/etc. Sell it for a couple k, resell the parts you have left over.

For $150-200 you can swap out the springs on the black one for something more street friendly like 450/330 or even less than that.

destructo
Apr 29, 2006

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

destructo posted:

I like it. Any more pics?

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Going to check out a '97 on Sunday, trying to get back into Miata ownership after a long hiatus. The guy is selling it for $2500 with 130k on the clock. Needs a driver's side fender, driver's seat (torn) and the top needs replacing. As long as it runs and drives good I think it's a good deal. I gotta have the 1.8, not settling for 1.6, and this is the cheapest one I've seen by far around here.

It's been awhile, so I need some memory refreshing on some things.....Are there any visual cues to it having a torsen? I can't remember how to tell if a Miata has one or not.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I know that the later ones are a bit harder to determine, but just print out the sheet on m.net for the list of features. I know that with my car (94), power mirrors = A package = Torsen. But then they added the popular features package and it kinda hosed poo poo up for the OBDII cars.

e: It looks like if it does have power mirrors in 97 and isn't an STO, you should be good for an LSD.

Phone fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Feb 11, 2012

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Wait, what's an STO?

Here's hoping for power mirrors. If not oh well I'll just put one in anyway but it would be nice not having to worry about it. Can't wait to own a Miata again, thank you tax return :)

VVVV Thanks

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Feb 11, 2012

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

leica posted:

Wait, what's an STO?

Here's hoping for power mirrors. If not oh well I'll just put one in anyway but it would be nice not having to worry about it. Can't wait to own a Miata again, thank you tax return :)

http://www.miata.net/faq/Miata90-97A3.pdf

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Other thing to do is just get the vin and call up Mazda north america and get them to give you the options it came with. I did that when I was shopping for mine, they had no problems giving out the info and it took like 2-3 minutes on the phone.