Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

A5H posted:

Are y'all driftin now? This may sway me back from FIFA :wth:

I might be the only one, I'm a terrible person who enjoys sending horribly painted asian cars sideways around turns almost as much as regular racing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

I said come in! posted:

I've thought about this, and in multiplayer it makes sense, but against the A.I.? It's not like you're going to continue with the race unless you placed first in the pole anyways. It's to difficult to make competitive A.I. where there is actually a chance you might not place first.

For all its faults, F1 2011 does make a good job of this. Forza, in my opinion, has always had too much emphasis on the individual race instead of racing series. There need to be no rewards for single races within a series or massive additional rewards if you placed 1st in all of them, just a reward for your placement at the end. It's just that these days apparently you have to throw something at the player at least every five minutes.

Scirocco Griffon
Feb 3, 2012

I said come in! posted:

I've thought about this, and in multiplayer it makes sense, but against the A.I.? It's not like you're going to continue with the race unless you placed first in the pole anyways. It's to difficult to make competitive A.I. where there is actually a chance you might not place first.

Qualifying doesn't make a lot of sense in races where the cars all have wildly different PI ratings, but I'd at least like to see qualifying for the R3/R2/R1 races so that I can get ahead of the idiot AI all jamming their brakes in turn 1, trying desperately to get onto the racing line because they're incapable of running anywhere else on the track but there.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

GhostDog posted:

For all its faults, F1 2011 does make a good job of this. Forza, in my opinion, has always had too much emphasis on the individual race instead of racing series. There need to be no rewards for single races within a series or massive additional rewards if you placed 1st in all of them, just a reward for your placement at the end. It's just that these days apparently you have to throw something at the player at least every five minutes.

What would be the benefit of this?

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

Liku posted:

What would be the benefit of this?

I was making a point that it's possible to balance a game in such a way that you don't always have to place first or restart. In Forza you are either competitive enough to beat the two fast AI cars in the field or there's literally no point in continuing at all. All the other cars are just filler to bump yourself past as quick as possible within three laps to get to your actual competition. In F1 2011 I would spent 20 laps starting from place 17 and finishing 11th and it's a much more rewarding experience.

Edit: This is, of course, somewhat of a personal preference.

GhostDog fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Feb 4, 2012

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I don't restart races ever unless I get hosed in the first turn or something. I can't be bothered to restart every time I don't finish first. I have a lot more fun racing in a pack of cars with a car or 4 infront than I do leading anyways.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

jonathan posted:

I don't restart races ever unless I get hosed in the first turn or something. I can't be bothered to restart every time I don't finish first. I have a lot more fun racing in a pack of cars with a car or 4 infront than I do leading anyways.

Wait, maybe I should have played the career mode more, but don't you have to place first to advance?

Fortuitous Bumble
Jan 5, 2007

GhostDog posted:

Wait, maybe I should have played the career mode more, but don't you have to place first to advance?

No, you can even fail the stupid Top Gear bowling pin challenges and it lets you keep going. Getting first goes toward ticking off the races in the grid though. Supposedly the AI also auto-adjusts to your skill level if you suck and keep losing races but it's too erratic and rubber bandy for me to tell.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

GhostDog posted:

Nope. I've finished 4th in races, missed the autocross target times by 40%, things like that and it just gives you less reward and you move on.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

Fortuitous Bumble posted:

No, you can even fail the stupid top gear bowling pin challenges and it lets you keep going.

Aww gently caress.

ComfyPants
Mar 20, 2002

Scirocco Griffon posted:

And on another note, I'm not sure if this is a bug or it happens in the real car but once you've gone past the top speed on the Omni GLHS's speedometer, instead of stopping at 85mph it just keeps on going around, which is hilarious. Also that car is a lot more fun when you do an RWD swap on it.

If you look closely, you'll see the sticker that adorns the real-life GLHS. Since the speedo is a holdover from the proposed legislation to require 85 MPH speedometers, it was sold with a sticker that gets placed on the bottom edge reading, "95, 105, 115..."

In Forza, it does finally peg when it swings back around to 5.

ComfyPants fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Feb 4, 2012

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I can't wait for Tuesday to come. I wish Season Pass owners could get the DLC early. We know it's on Xbox Live already, because Turn-10 has been giving out DLC pack codes since yesterday. I've been trying to win one, but no luck so far.

Scirocco Griffon
Feb 3, 2012

Yeah, World Tour mode is there to make the game more accessible to new players who would be scared off by a giant list of events and no idea where to start with them. It doesn't have anything special to it other than giving you a 100% credit bonus per race on top of all the difficulty bonuses.

JaysonAych posted:

If you look closely, you'll see the sticker that adorns the real-life GLHS. Since the speedo is a holdover from the proposed legislation to require 85 MPH speedometers, it was sold with a sticker that gets placed on the bottom edge reading, "95, 105, 115..."

Ah, circumventing the federal speedometer. Shoulda guessed. That's a bit of a shame though, I was hoping that if you got going fast enough and slammed the brakes it would spin around superfast like a clock in a Bugs Bunny cartoon. (Yes I am immature like that.)

Scirocco Griffon fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Feb 4, 2012

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

JaysonAych posted:

My '83 Volvo did this in real life too.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Is there an easy way to add "Racing Rampage" as a rival so I can try and beat his time on that monthly rivals thing?

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Is there an easy way to add "Racing Rampage" as a rival so I can try and beat his time on that monthly rivals thing?

I found him, and if anyone wants to add him you can search out my storefront via searching gamertag DHARMA Horace on photos or the AUGR club, see my favorites, he's in there.

Intel&Sebastian fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Feb 4, 2012

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak

AaronB posted:

I've played for ~50 hours so far and still don't have a "perfect" drift in the records section ...

Use the XB Ford Falcon. In stock form it drifts amazingly well. It's so floaty but with a fair bit of power and it just never looses the back end.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Intel&Sebastian posted:

I found him, and if anyone wants to add him you can search out my storefront via searching gamertag DHARMA Horace on photos or the AUGR club, see my favorites, he's in there.

For anyone confused as to what to do from here, add Racing Rampage as a favorite and then you can see him under favorites in the Rivals leaderboard.

Mac Tonight
Mar 12, 2006

aw yeah tahts it man

Puddin posted:

Use the XB Ford Falcon. In stock form it drifts amazingly well. It's so floaty but with a fair bit of power and it just never looses the back end.

I found this out the other day. I couldnt believe what a good drift car it was

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
What kind of time has Rampage put up? I need to give that a shot tomorrow.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
He has a dirty 1:53 or 1:52 or something.

Fortuitous Bumble
Jan 5, 2007

What have I tuned wrong when my car feels like it takes a long time to decide what direction to point? Like when I'm coming out of a turn it will twitch back a bit like it doesn't really want to go where I tell it to.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

What have I tuned wrong when my car feels like it takes a long time to decide what direction to point? Like when I'm coming out of a turn it will twitch back a bit like it doesn't really want to go where I tell it to.

Understeer? I'm not as good as the others, so they'll give you better advice, but I would say make sure the diff isn't locking up (don't set them to 100%), and try to tune your suspension towards and oversteering bias.

CovfefeCatCafe fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Feb 5, 2012

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak
4 Team cat and mouse on the ring is loving amazing.

I can only imagine how much more insane it would be if we had 4 per team.

Fortuitous Bumble
Jan 5, 2007

YF19pilot posted:

Understeer? I'm not as good as the others, so they'll give you better advice, but I would say make sure the diff isn't locking up (don't set them to 100%), and try to tune your suspension towards and oversteering bias.

It's not understeer, it's more wobbly, like some cars will kind of bounce back after I finish turning. I messed with the anti roll bars and I think that helped some

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

Master of karate and friendship...
for everyone!

It's not understeer, it's more wobbly, like some cars will kind of bounce back after I finish turning. I messed with the anti roll bars and I think that helped some

Try stiffening the springs all around. If you like the balance as it is, bump them up evenly. That usually helps when a car does that to me.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

That sounds about right. Try adjusting the dampening on the springs as well. That should help minimize the wobbling as well.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Day Man posted:

Try stiffening the springs all around. If you like the balance as it is, bump them up evenly. That usually helps when a car does that to me.

It's better to do it by percentages.. will ensure you keep the oversteer/understeer balance where you want it. You can apply the same percentage to damping and rebound as well, which will also help keep overall balance the same.

I usually go in 5% chunks.

Tyree
Sep 11, 2003

STRETCH

STRETCH

STRETCH
When am I supposed to be gifted the 2 CJ Wilson rival event cars? What were they too? The facebook app/page is not very helpful.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Tyree posted:

When am I supposed to be gifted the 2 CJ Wilson rival event cars? What were they too? The facebook app/page is not very helpful.

You'll be gifted the car eventually. Turn-10 has to do it by hand for every single person who did the event and qualifies. It takes a long rear end time because they only do a few players each week (I wish I was joking).

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
SELECT * FROM 'CJWILSON_RIVALS' WHERE 'rank' > 23422423

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate

Cojawfee posted:

SELECT * FROM 'CJWILSON_RIVALS' WHERE 'rank' > 23422423

dude the xbox doesn't run mssql :rolleyes:

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
Does anyone know if Forza 4 models the effects of movable aerodynamic parts for generating downforce?

I was playing around with the Huayra yesterday, and was wondering if part of the reason it handles fairly badly (at least relative to the Zondas) is due to the fact that Forza doesn't model the effects of the movable flaps that the actual car uses to help generate downforce during cornering.

Scirocco Griffon
Feb 3, 2012

azflyboy posted:

Does anyone know if Forza 4 models the effects of movable aerodynamic parts for generating downforce?

I was playing around with the Huayra yesterday, and was wondering if part of the reason it handles fairly badly (at least relative to the Zondas) is due to the fact that Forza doesn't model the effects of the movable flaps that the actual car uses to help generate downforce during cornering.

Probably not, but then again the Cinque is a barely road legal race car that's had ten years of tweaking and adjusting and racetrack testing to cover its defects, whereas the Huayra is brand new and not a pure track car. I think most of the PI rating for the Huayra is coming from the massive power output.

I'm also not sure what tires the Huayra come with a stock, but if it's anything less than the sports tires then it's going to feel like a heavy pig in the corners no matter what. 700+ lb-ft of torque is hard for anything to deal with.

General Probe
Dec 28, 2004
Has this been done before?
Soiled Meat

Tyree posted:

For participation you'll get the Huayra if you bought the pack. For beating CJs time you'll get a 360 Challenge Stradale unicorn.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

GhostDog posted:

No.

Disc 2 is around 3GB, and you need to install that to access its content at all. The main play disc is 7.6GB. Add another ~500MB for LCE/Vip stuff should you get such an edition and about 100 to 150MB per DLC. My current install size is 11.5GB.

Edit: I wouldn't be suprised if the 4GB model doesn't even have enough actual free space to install the 3GB disc.

Is this true even with a big flash drive installed? I've heard they're much faster than the regular HDs.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
Paging Jabs...paging Jabs to the Forza thread...

Are we still going to run the GoonVintage this week? If so, rules would be awesome.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

Cream_Filling posted:

Is this true even with a big flash drive installed? I've heard they're much faster than the regular HDs.

A big flash drive gives you the space, I have no idea about performance though. I would expect it to be faster than the DVD, but slower than the internal HD. I have no numbers though.

Edit: It's certainly cheaper.

ComfyPants
Mar 20, 2002

I've used a 16GB flash drive for games before, but not Forza. File transfers between it and the hard drive ran pretty slow, even for smaller files. However, in terms of gameplay I mainly used it for Fallout: New Vegas and there were some lengthy load times, but there's no telling if it ran slow due to the flash drive or it was just Fallout. The other games I ran off it were all XBLA titles that didn't need much load time anyway. I kept those games on the stick and ran everything else off the 20 GB HDD.

I eventually just broke down and bought the 250 GB Xbox/Kinect bundle not long before Forza 4 came out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

GhostDog posted:

A big flash drive gives you the space, I have no idea about performance though. I would expect it to be faster than the DVD, but slower than the internal HD. I have no numbers though.

Edit: It's certainly cheaper.

Whats the max size flash drive you can use? I've got a 20gb hdd and i've got like 2.2 gig left with pretty much only forza installed.

• Locked thread