Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

Full of ignorant tribalism. Kinda sad.

El Duke posted:

but if you're having manufacturing issues, why would you wait for something from the same... never mind.

As much as I appreciate you being the devil's advocate here, you can't honestly say that Asus has a reputation for poo poo products. Their motherboards, laptops, etc are very well regarded. The TF-101 is very well regarded.
They jumped the gun and got what they deserved when they released a product too soon in an attempt to get a lead on other manufacturers. Everybody fucks up from time to time. Most often they learn.
Hell, even Apple can stumble. If their subsequent products are trash then your statement is valid. You're just going to have to wait for your schadenfreude.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Janin posted:

The hardware is thick and heavy. The software is mangled almost beyond recognition. The main selling points (flash, lots of ports, removable battery) are objectively bad. The Verge review goes into more detail, if anyone cares.
It is thick, but I'll trade the thickness for the full size ports (unsure why those are bad), and the removable battery is a major plus (in a year, when the battery is worn, I can replace it). The flash works fine too, although I rarely use the camera. The software is fine, basically stock gingerbread. A few apps had to go, but rooting is wicked easy, and the file manager app is actually pretty good.
Plus the price was great, I got it from woot.

The Angry Spaniard
Jan 13, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Goons almost make me regret buying a Prime w/ dock. I hope I don't get a faulty one :ohdear:

McLarenF1
Jan 9, 2004

Looking to Buy a McLaren, Anyone Selling One .... Cheap?

The Angry Spaniard posted:

Goons almost make me regret buying a Prime w/ dock. I hope I don't get a faulty one :ohdear:
Relax, the disgruntled consumers are always the loudest. If you check out XDA, there are plenty of happy prime owners.

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

Tattoos? On MY black quarterback?
Just chiming in as one of the aforementioned happy Prime owners. Maybe happy isn't the word. Ecstatic might be a better choice. It's by far the smoothest running tablet I've ever played with, and the battery is stronger too. I never really even wanted a tablet because it felt like my choices were either an unreliable underpowered android tablet (the galaxy, the thrive, the list goes on) or permanently chaining myself to the Apple ship, which is something I wasn't about to do. For lack of a better way to say it, this thing FEELS like an ipad- when I touch something it opens right away, transitions are smooth, the web browser is really snappy. Plus you can't say enough about the Tegra 3's ability to just breeze through any game or benchmark you throw at it.

I'm also really impressed by the value of it. The typical (high end) android tablet costs about $500 for 16 gigs, same for the iPad 2. For that same $500 I got a 32 gig hard drive with superior specs in EVERY regard (better display, better battery life, better processor, more expandability, hdmi out right out of the box). I also bought the keyboard attachment, which adds a full size SDXC slot as well as a USB port and 6 hours of battery life (though it seems longer). It feels nice and solid as well, and the whole thing goes really nicely together and looks like a really small laptop. Factoring in the extra 150 it cost for the keyboard, I spent $50 more than your average competing 32g tablet and got so much more.

Finally, since everyone seems to be harping on it, I must mention that I have had no problems whatsoever with my Prime. There is no pitting, WiFi works flawlessly throughout my house, there is no backlight bleed, and though I haven't tried the GPS extensively, I seriously have to wonder who is using their tablet as a loving navigational device. Are you like, driving with the thing on your dashboard. Maybe the lack of GPS (now nonexistant since the last update) will save the life of someone who would have been using it in their car otherwise.

All in all, this thing is excellent and I (as well as everyone I've talked to who actually owns one) would recommend to anyone that is in the market for a tablet. Dollar for dollar you just can't beat it.

EDIT: Another thing i forgot to mention but am very impressed with is the file type support. This thing supports nearly every audio and video extension known to man (except realplayer because gently caress that noise). FLAC support is particularly nice, especially since the audio card in the prime is nothing short of phenomenal and I've spent a lot of money on headphones. The output sounds significantly better than the best I'd heard from a tablet to this point, which once again was the iPad 2. Many people won't even notice this, but if you own a good set of headphones (i primarily use Shure SE535s) the difference is night and day.

zimbomonkey fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Feb 4, 2012

rearadmiral.rowboat
Apr 11, 2009

And ev'ry last inch of me's covered with HAIR!

zimbomonkey posted:

and though I haven't tried the GPS extensively, I seriously have to wonder who is using their tablet as a loving navigational device. Are you like, driving with the thing on your dashboard. Maybe the lack of GPS (now nonexistant since the last update) will save the life of someone who would have been using it in their car otherwise.

Are you for real?

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

McLarenF1 posted:

Relax, the disgruntled consumers are always the loudest. If you check out XDA, there are plenty of happy prime owners.

Yep, I have 0 issues with mine like the rest of the folks in that 31 page thread. After a month of ownership I've found I'm averaging 24hrs with the dock which is killer since I commute a lot for work. The GPS thing was a non starter, I assumed it was lacking GPS in the first place ala wifi only ipads so I don't miss something I wasn't anticipating. I'm also in the camp of having my phone on me at all times with a GPS chip in there that locks in under a second so it was a non issue.

Anyone interested in photography that uses a canon dslr should get this thing for DSLR controller alone, it's incredible.

It's actually changing my workflow for the better for some of what I do;

Tech Scouts- Take photos while on location of the room. Open them up in reader app and then draw lighting plots directly over the photos which are then dropboxed/emailed to anyone who needs to reference them immediately. Second pass with a directors viewfinder app set up with the same lens FOV as the shooting camera. The viewfinder app then saves camera position/angle, coordinates, under the "framed" shots. Handwritten notes are added and then inserted into the floor plan documents so every camera position noted has a corresponding image of what that shot will actually look like in camera.

Production- Digital slate app for syncing audio in post. I've gotten faster at prepping the digital slate then the a real slate since I can quickly flick up to change to take 2 or roll 2, etc. Camera log app for recording notes and then being able to wirelessly print with printershare or email/bt/dropbox the logs over to production right away.

Post - Can dump footage to a HDD with either the SD card reader or a USB card reader

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

Full of ignorant tribalism. Kinda sad.

rearadmiral.rowboat posted:

Are you for real?

I am also perplexed by this dismissal of the MAIN REASON I got my Transformer. It's a replacement of the $1000.00 flagship Pioneer Avic GPS head unit in my truck that was installed by the previous owner. My hatred of that device knows no bounds. I made a mount for it so that the poo poo-tastic GPS unit is covered by the tablet. You don't put it ON TOP of the dashboard. That would be idiotic.

EDIT: Ok, the main reason is probably as an Evernote input device, but the GPS is extremely useful.

Kynetx fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Feb 4, 2012

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I find it weird people would mount 10" tablets to their dashboards. The smaller ones at least could be confused for a big TomTom if someone was drunk enough.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Craptacular! posted:

I find it weird people would mount 10" tablets to their dashboards. The smaller ones at least could be confused for a big TomTom if someone was drunk enough.

Why? Are you embarrassed?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Craptacular! posted:

Yeah, why would anyone want a 10" GPS screen when they can have one with a 3-4" screen instead?

AppleCobbler
Feb 8, 2003
remember that time I was just chilling out and definitely not having a massive meltdown? right guys? guys??? :laugh:
Just so you guys know, the Samsung 10.1 and 8.9 are both really good and have excellent community support as well as having all features work and decent ICS builds out there. I think they're the only manufacturer doing anything decent right now.

It's been nothing but poo poo from Asus with both the Transformer and Transformer Prime (I own the original TF). If I don't get Apple next round, I'm getting Samsung.

E2M2
Mar 2, 2007

Ain't No Thang.

AppleCobbler posted:

Just so you guys know, the Samsung 10.1 and 8.9 are both really good and have excellent community support as well as having all features work and decent ICS builds out there. I think they're the only manufacturer doing anything decent right now.

It's been nothing but poo poo from Asus with both the Transformer and Transformer Prime (I own the original TF). If I don't get Apple next round, I'm getting Samsung.

I really like the Iconia A500 I got 2nd hand. The reason why it didn't get as many people buying it was because it was $50 more than the Transformer. I had a Transformer and the screen quality just wasn't there with all the light bleeding going on. The Iconia has none of those problems, and it has full sized USB to boot.

The Angry Spaniard
Jan 13, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Isn't Samsung known for delaying updates ad infinitum and awful Android ROM's (Touchwiz)? Also imitating almost anything Apple does in regards to device design.

That and the lack of a good keyboard (the keyboard dock for both the 8.9 and 10.1 seems awful) is what kept me from getting a Galaxy Tab. I really wanted the Transformer with the dock because of extra battery, USB support and most importantly, a nice keyboard which you can rotate vertically to fit your needs, rather than having it kept in the same angle forever (see Galaxy Tab keyboard).

And I don't really care too much about thickness, which is one of the selling points for Galaxy Tabs as far as I'm concerned.

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

Are you for real?

Yes I am. A phone GPS or regular GPS unit makes sense because it can be very comfortably be operated with one hand and the smaller screen real estate doesn't require paying much attention to use. A larger tablet doesn't seem to me like it would be nearly as easy to operate one handed and the increased screen size means its harder to press something without looking at it and thereby taking your eyes off the road.

If this is really such a common problem for people I digress and change my recommendation to ANYONE WHO WANTS A COMPLETELY KICKASS TABLET AND DOESN'T WANT TO USE IT WHILE DRIVING.

This is categorically untrue with the Prime. The prime has one flaw in a niche feature and the rest completely blows away the competition, ESPECIALLY per price point. Maybe you can mention the samsung defect where the weird oily mark appears under the screen for no apparent reason and that wasn't fixed with a version upgrade, if we're cherrypicking tablet design flaws.

eric
Apr 27, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

zimbomonkey posted:

This is categorically untrue with the Prime. The prime has one flaw in a niche feature and the rest completely blows away the competition, ESPECIALLY per price point. Maybe you can mention the samsung defect where the weird oily mark appears under the screen for no apparent reason and that wasn't fixed with a version upgrade, if we're cherrypicking tablet design flaws.

The Prime was a total amateur hour rush job to get some sales before the iPad3 is released and makes it and every other also ran tablet even more irrelevant than they are now.

The GPS on the Prime is such a piece of poo poo rather than address the problem Asus decided it would be better to pretend it doesn't exist.

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

eric posted:

The Prime was a total amateur hour rush job to get some sales before the iPad3 is released and makes it and every other also ran tablet even more irrelevant than they are now.

The GPS on the Prime is such a piece of poo poo rather than address the problem Asus decided it would be better to pretend it doesn't exist.

No, if anything the prime is proof that an android tablet can be as powerful and satisfyingly easy to use as an iPad while still packing more useful (NON GPS) features.

Ciabatta
Aug 20, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

eric posted:

The Prime was a total amateur hour rush job

zimbomonkey posted:

if anything the prime is proof that an android tablet can be as powerful and satisfyingly easy to use as an iPad

Both of these statements can be true! There are way too many build issues and too many Primes with problems, but it also sounds like the tablet is really nice if you luck out and don't have some of the typical issues. We know the GPS is retarded, it's ok if you guys don't mention it every other post. That reflects really poorly on Asus, but it doesn't mean the rest of the Prime sucks. That's what all the other issues are for.

cbubbles
Mar 15, 2007

I'm soooo into you

Ciabatta posted:

Both of these statements can be true! There are way too many build issues and too many Primes with problems, but it also sounds like the tablet is really nice if you luck out and don't have some of the typical issues. We know the GPS is retarded, it's ok if you guys don't mention it every other post. That reflects really poorly on Asus, but it doesn't mean the rest of the Prime sucks. That's what all the other issues are for.

I don't know if I would go with "way too many", ala 75% xbox 1st production red ring failure rate or whatever it was. But reading the past few pages the impression I have gotten is that the Prime is amazing (assuming you don't need it specifically for GPS), and that ASUS production not so much. If you get one get one that works and you'll be really happy.

I didn't really think anyone was buying a prime for GPS either, I hadn't considered it as an in dash replacement. Even then, I imagine people who want it for it's GPS capability is still the minority? It would be nice if they could fix the issue somehow.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Maker Of Shoes posted:

A tablet on a wireless contract that doesn't have a cellular antenna.

Welp.

Have more details on this. It must be the A501 because my friend is saying that it's SIM card based and there was no rocket stick.

He's thinking about getting one himself; is there anything out and out wrong with this deal other than the fact that you're basically eventually paying $480 over two years for a last generation tablet?

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

Scaramouche posted:

is there anything out and out wrong with this deal other than the fact that you're basically eventually paying $480 over two years for a last generation tablet?

Isn't that enough?

It should be enough.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Kynetx posted:

As much as I appreciate you being the devil's advocate here, you can't honestly say that Asus has a reputation for poo poo products. Their motherboards, laptops, etc are very well regarded. The TF-101 is very well regarded.
They jumped the gun and got what they deserved when they released a product too soon in an attempt to get a lead on other manufacturers. Everybody fucks up from time to time. Most often they learn.

The thing that worried me is they seem to be slipping as far as quality goes on their laptops/netbooks too which are getting progressively worse keyboards and starting to pick up build quality issues. I've already mentioned the trackpad issues I've had with my 1215b netbook and apparently these run across the entire 1x15 range.

E2M2 posted:

I really like the Iconia A500 I got 2nd hand. The reason why it didn't get as many people buying it was because it was $50 more than the Transformer. I had a Transformer and the screen quality just wasn't there with all the light bleeding going on. The Iconia has none of those problems, and it has full sized USB to boot.

I have an A500 too (bought cheap second hand too) - the other big minus point is how bulky and heavy it is. Also while its nice to have a hardware orientation lock switch it'd be nice if they spent an extra couple of cents making it less lovely feeling. Aside from that its all good, and if they haven't stuffed up the A200 it'd make for really good buying at its price point.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Scaramouche posted:

the fact that you're basically eventually paying $480 over two years for a last generation tablet

Read this part out loud. It's important.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Codiusprime posted:

Isn't that enough?

It should be enough.

This, taking 2 years to pay for a tablet.

How longs the warranty?

Its not 2 years is it?

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
I had an A500 for a scant few months. It wasn't horrible but it definitely wasn't worth the price tag of $400. It felt solidly built, no creaks or anything but it was definitely too heavy. The physical buttons felt cheap, specifically the orientation lock and volume rocker. HDMI was fun to use before I ended up getting a Revue (youtube stuffs) but the port itself died about a month into ownership. I will say that the full sized USB port on it was pretty awesome for impromptu file sharing. The modding community seemed pretty lack luster as well but that only matters to a few people. I was going to RMA it for the dead HDMI port but realized I only really used it for video chatting so I sold it on craigslist.

It's a decent tablet that runs well but it isn't worth much and you'd better like what you get out of the box.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

I just upgraded my a500 to ICS (not the official version, but it seems complete apart from camera support) and man ICS is nice. It's making me reconsider selling it like I've been thinking about.

OhGodMyFeet
Mar 11, 2009

The Angry Spaniard posted:

Eh, I was terrified when I put my order in for the original Transformer after hearing all the stories about light bleed. Didn't end up with any issues whatsoever.

Now, if they'd just release ICS for it already... I really need the Cisco Anyconnect compatibility to get on my uni network, but don't want to re-root it when ICS is so close. :sigh:

rearadmiral.rowboat
Apr 11, 2009

And ev'ry last inch of me's covered with HAIR!

Cakefool posted:

This, taking 2 years to pay for a tablet.

How longs the warranty?

Its not 2 years is it?

Why does that matter? Aside from personal finance issues, what's wrong with paying money in the future for technology that you can use now? If someone told me I could get a Transformer Prime right new for $600 except I didn't have to pay the $600 until 2050, well, you get my point.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Why does that matter? Aside from personal finance issues, what's wrong with paying money in the future for technology that you can use now? If someone told me I could get a Transformer Prime right new for $600 except I didn't have to pay the $600 until 2050, well, you get my point.
$480 over 2 years is very diffent than $600 over 38 years for any interest rate over 0%. So no I don't really get your point at all. Also a last-gen Acer tablet isn't worth $480 even if paid over 38 years.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
But it's $480 for the tablet PLUS 2 years of wireless data. Not saying it's worth it, just that it's more than just the device itself. I mean, if you value the data plan at $10/month, you're getting the device for $240.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

You really missed the point of my post didn't you? Forget about it being an older gen tablet, buy it on contract for 2 years with a 1 year warranty. If it breaks after the first year you will be stuck paying a monthly fee for something you threw away or craigslisted for 30 bucks. Not that you can be sure the warranty will be helpful in the first year mind, as rooting will void that warranty instantly.

Also, you have no idea what financial circumstances you will be under in 2 years, you may not be able to afford the monthly fee, poo poo happens.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Cakefool posted:

Forget about it being an older gen tablet, buy it on contract for 2 years with a 1 year warranty. If it breaks after the first year you will be stuck paying a monthly fee for something you threw away or craigslisted for 30 bucks. Not that you can be sure the warranty will be helpful in the first year mind, as rooting will void that warranty instantly.
How is that any worse than paying full price for the tablet today and having it break after a year? You're still paying the same amount for the same device that you used for the same amount of time.

Edit: or buying a phone on contract, which people don't seem to have problems with? The same potential issues exist.

Uthor fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Feb 5, 2012

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006
Well, my first Galaxy Tab PLUS had a big ole dead pixel in the middle of the screen so Amazon overnighted me a new one and I'm loving this thing. 7 inches is still my favorite tablet size and 3.2 ain't bad at all, if Samsung ever sees fit to upgrade it to ICS it will be even better.

Panick39
Aug 29, 2009
I know there's quite a lot of hate in the thread but I've had my Prime for over a month now and I couldn't be happyier. I also have an Iphone so I tether the 3G from that wherever I go where there's no Wi-Fi.

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

My avatar still says all.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

Codiusprime posted:

Well, my first Galaxy Tab PLUS had a big ole dead pixel in the middle of the screen so Amazon overnighted me a new one and I'm loving this thing. 7 inches is still my favorite tablet size and 3.2 ain't bad at all, if Samsung ever sees fit to upgrade it to ICS it will be even better.

I almost went with the 7" and really did like it but I ended up with the 8.9" and am loving it. It just feels so much better in my hands compared to my Xoom.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Uthor posted:

How is that any worse than paying full price for the tablet today and having it break after a year? You're still paying the same amount for the same device that you used for the same amount of time.

Edit: or buying a phone on contract, which people don't seem to have problems with? The same potential issues exist.

Both good points, it would just feel worse to be paying a monthly fee for nothing. You're right though.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Kindle Fire for $150. Worth it or am I buying a product that I will be constantly frustrated by?

Would be using it as a game player, forum browser, web browser, and occasional movie watching from Amazon Prime.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Is there a good source of info on upcoming tablets? I've been strongly considering the Lenovo one for some time, because a lot of the functions make it ideally suited for one of the things I would most want it for (doing work on my couch and/or some other place that's not the office) but it's been out for a while so I'm wondering if it's likely to be obsolete soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

spidoman posted:

Kindle Fire for $150. Worth it or am I buying a product that I will be constantly frustrated by?

Would be using it as a game player, forum browser, web browser, and occasional movie watching from Amazon Prime.

The Fire's giant flaw is the lack of an external volume control. This is a problem for you: games, you may need it to not blare the music, but if you're watching movies you may leave the sound on, and so you may often be in a situation where it's making noise and you have no quick way to shut it up (the lack of a hardware 'home' button removes the other way to avoid this). The power button placement is poor but you get used to it, the lack of a hardware home button is vaguely annoying but you also get used to it.

Internet browsing on it is fine, I don't watch many movies on it but they've all been fine. But the volume control will be an issue. I like mine, but I compensate for the volume control by always having it muted.