Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

DEHUMANIZE  YOURSELF  &  FACE  TO  BLACULA

McKracken posted:

Unless you are SA2k or a fan of a division rival there is nothing really hate-able about the Chargers.

Untrue, I hate them and their underachieving ways with a passion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Blackula69 posted:

Untrue, I hate them and their underachieving ways with a passion.

Hell yeah

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

SA2k

There is a team that wins playoff games
A team with a great coach, a great quarterback, and a defense that is Lights Out
A team that doesn't disappoint

Give yourself to the dark side. Your posts betray you. It is the only way to win the Lombardi

Chifley
Nov 4, 2009

Blackula69 posted:

SA2k

A team with a great coach, a great quarterback, and a defense that is Lights Out

Give yourself to the dark side. Your posts betray you. It is the only way to win the Lombardi

But the Patriots defense isn't Lights Out :confused:

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
Rivers is better than Roethlisberger and also not a rapist sooooo

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Blackula69 posted:

This describes no team in the NFL currently

KettleWL
Dec 28, 2010
Was losing to the Tebows not disappointing?

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.
Did the AFL have different overtime rules or something? I was looking at the Patriots' historical records and noticed that they had 9 games end in a tie during the 10 years of the AFL, and no ties since joining the NFL in 1970.

spe
Aug 28, 2007

All Stocked Up
How drunk do I get today? A bit wobbly for kickoff then blind drunk during the game, or do I wait till afterwards before properly smashing it in? I think I need to strike a good balance between screaming RUN YA oval office and remembering what happened.

Also does that 40 second play clock start ticking the second the previous play ends?

HORNEY VAPE BRO
Jun 14, 2009

spe posted:

How drunk do I get today? A bit wobbly for kickoff then blind drunk during the game, or do I wait till afterwards before properly smashing it in? I think I need to strike a good balance between screaming RUN YA oval office and remembering what happened.

Also does that 40 second play clock start ticking the second the previous play ends?

As long as you're not watching the half time show sober than you're doing fine. And the play clock doesn't start until the refs place the ball.

drunk leprechaun
May 7, 2007
sobriety is for the weak and the stupid

spe posted:

Having watched the Super Bowl in varying states of sobriety I suggest mega drunk if at a party and mild buzz if in a smaller gathering.

Also the 40 sec clock does start when the previous play ends. When the shorter 25 sec clock is used that doesn't start until the ball is spotted.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
I am so gay for that halftime show. Go Patriots.

e: my god this was the wrong thread

spe
Aug 28, 2007

All Stocked Up
How long ago did Adidas make the jerseys? My friend just gave me a Tampa Bay Alstott shirt so now I'm gonna support them secondarily. I'm glad boston lost, I chose them because of the banter of their supporters and now they've got a bit of egg on their face after playing shite, winning should always feel shameful.

e: I find it hard to give a proper care about any of these teams, no matter which one I try and root for I mostly just enjoy watching the plays, they are all thousands of miles away. I'm trying to pick between Boston and Philly teams but its tough.

spe fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Feb 6, 2012

sc0tty
Jan 8, 2005

too kewell for school..
Why did the guy try and sit on the endzone at the end of the Superbowl instead of running it in like a maniac?

balancedbias
May 2, 2009
$$$$$$$$$

sc0tty posted:

Why did the guy try and sit on the endzone at the end of the Superbowl instead of running it in like a maniac?

He realized at the last moment that they were letting him score on purpose. If he goes down before the endzone, then the Patriots have to use their final timeout and any play after that runs the clock down/they kick a chipshot field goal to take the lead.

sc0tty
Jan 8, 2005

too kewell for school..

balancedbias posted:

He realized at the last moment that they were letting him score on purpose. If he goes down before the endzone, then the Patriots have to use their final timeout and any play after that runs the clock down/they kick a chipshot field goal to take the lead.

Is that the generally accepted best way to play that out? Seems like a silly option when you run the risk of a botched field goal?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

sc0tty posted:

Is that the generally accepted best way to play that out? Seems like a silly option when you run the risk of a botched field goal?

You run the even higher risk of the other quarterback driving down the field for his own touchdown.

McKracken
Jun 17, 2005

Lets go for a run!

sc0tty posted:

As the Pats, at that distance you're basically hoping for a bad snap or a block, both of which are much less likely than Tom Brady being able to drive down the field for a TD.

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR
It's sort of uncommon for a player to actually kneel on a sure touchdown, both because it's difficult to think about it in the heat of the moment and because, as Bradshaw discovered, you have to realize it a few yards in advance (and not have any of the defenders realize what you're doing and push you in, which one of the Patriots linebackers was circling around to do). I think it came up in one of the NCAA GDTs this year on a pick-six, where the technically correct play was to fall down with the ball instead of running it back, but good luck actually getting that to happen, especially because there's no chance that you could have talked about that situation in the huddle (unlike this situation).

Example of doing this successfully: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZkrRTYbVmpU
Eagles up by 4 with the ball, a little over 2 minutes left, Cowboys out of timeouts. Westbrook breaks a long run, and (correctly) realizes that he should just fall down at the 1. If he scores, the Cowboys get the ball back with a little over 2 minutes and a (remote) chance to score, onside kick, and score again. If he doesn't, the Eagles kneel it 3 times and the game is over.

bigfoot again
Apr 24, 2007

Incoherence posted:

It's sort of uncommon for a player to actually kneel on a sure touchdown, both because it's difficult to think about it in the heat of the moment and because, as Bradshaw discovered, you have to realize it a few yards in advance (and not have any of the defenders realize what you're doing and push you in, which one of the Patriots linebackers was circling around to do). I think it came up in one of the NCAA GDTs this year on a pick-six, where the technically correct play was to fall down with the ball instead of running it back, but good luck actually getting that to happen, especially because there's no chance that you could have talked about that situation in the huddle (unlike this situation).

Example of doing this successfully: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZkrRTYbVmpU
Eagles up by 4 with the ball, a little over 2 minutes left, Cowboys out of timeouts. Westbrook breaks a long run, and (correctly) realizes that he should just fall down at the 1. If he scores, the Cowboys get the ball back with a little over 2 minutes and a (remote) chance to score, onside kick, and score again. If he doesn't, the Eagles kneel it 3 times and the game is over.

Ballsier still was this one, because his team wasn't in the lead yet:

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/09000d5d81439a43/Jones-Drew-takes-a-knee

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

The 1980 Holiday Bowl taught us any time on the clock is a dangerous thing.

With two and a half to play, SMU had a 45-25 lead over BYU.

BYU won 46-45.

In my book, unless you're up four TDs with three minutes to go and the opponent has no timeouts, you could still lose.

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

:10bux:

Sash! posted:

BYU won 46-45.

In my book, unless you're up four TDs with three minutes to go and the opponent has no timeouts, you could still lose.

Required obviously: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZHkABO0VwCg

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Sash! posted:

BYU won 46-45.

There is also this comeback, its high school football, but its several onside kicks recovered in a row to come back from 41-17 with 3 minutes left. Bonus: hilarious ending to video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZHkABO0VwCg

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy

swickles posted:

There is also this comeback, its high school football, but its several onside kicks recovered in a row to come back from 41-17 with 3 minutes left. Bonus: hilarious ending to video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZHkABO0VwCg

It is literally in the post before yours from 7.5 hours ago.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

JesustheDarkLord posted:

It is literally in the post before yours from 7.5 hours ago.

But it belongs in every post. Ah dun wet mah britches! :911:

Koskinator
Nov 4, 2009

MOURNFUL: ALAS,
POOR YORICK
I've heard a lot about how the backup/third string quarterback will stand on the sidelines holding a clipboard. What exactly is on that board?

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

Looking to buy my first jersey (I'm in Germany), gonna have it shipped to a friend who's on vacation in the States right now. Does anyone know any outlets for Replica/Premier Carolina Panthers jerseys that I haven't checked yet? I've been to the official website as well as NFL.com and googled around a bit but I can't for the life of me find a Newton/Smith jersey in size S. Speaking of sizes: I wear a European S T-Shirt size so I reckon that's what I'm stuck with?

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?

Koskinator posted:

I've heard a lot about how the backup/third string quarterback will stand on the sidelines holding a clipboard. What exactly is on that board?

I don't know this for sure, but my best guess is that he's taking notes on what he sees the opposing defense doing while his offense is on the field. Then between drives he and the starting QB can talk over what he's seeing and what adjustments they can make. He doesn't necessarily need to be involved in calling plays for his offense because they've got an offensive coordinator for that, but that might be part of his duties as well.

McKracken
Jun 17, 2005

Lets go for a run!

Koskinator posted:

This varies to a slight degree on a team by team basis but most often they are charting the drives.

They write down the play call, formation, down and distance, field position, defensive alignment, time on the clock, hash mark, and than the result of the play.

There are also teams (most if not all of them), like what Ham said, who will have a backup or assistant coach or QC/GA guy look at the defensive backfield on passing plays to get a look at coverages and alignments, but typically the literal clipboard contains drive charting info.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."

McKracken posted:

There are also teams (most if not all of them), like what Ham said, who will have a backup or assistant coach or QC/GA guy look at the defensive backfield on passing plays to get a look at coverages and alignments, but typically the literal clipboard contains drive charting info.

Slight addendum: usually the guy doing this is in the booth since it's much easier to see up there.

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

Katana Gomai posted:

Looking to buy my first jersey (I'm in Germany), gonna have it shipped to a friend who's on vacation in the States right now. Does anyone know any outlets for Replica/Premier Carolina Panthers jerseys that I haven't checked yet? I've been to the official website as well as NFL.com and googled around a bit but I can't for the life of me find a Newton/Smith jersey in size S. Speaking of sizes: I wear a European S T-Shirt size so I reckon that's what I'm stuck with?

Yukijersey.com. We should put this in the OP. And even the smallest size will be big - you seem like you're on the slender side. I wear a medium or large in American sizing and I wear a small jersey comfortably as a shirt.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

*edit2: There wa a lot of text here about that website and then I googled it and found the (gaschambered) SA thread about it. Thanks for the hint, completely forgot about that site. Are they still secure to order from?

Katana Gomai fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Feb 8, 2012

Crunkjuice
Apr 4, 2007

That could've gotten in my eye!
*launches teargas at unarmed protestors*

I THINK OAKLAND PD'S USE OF EXCESSIVE FORCE WAS JUSTIFIED!

Bashez posted:

Required obviously: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZHkABO0VwCg
I went to plano east and was 6 years old at that game. My dad STILL bitches about that to this day.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

I've watched the Superbowl a few times before but I never understood what was going on and always ended up bored and frustrated. This year I got an American to explain it to me and I ended up enjoying the hell out of it and I now consider myself a fan of the sport.

Then I found out the season doesn't start again till September? :doh:

I've decided to go for the Philadelphia Eagles, purely because when I used to follow the NHL I supported the Flyers. Are they any good? The extent of my knowledge is that their QB was arrested for dog fighting.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Frankston posted:

I've watched the Superbowl a few times before but I never understood what was going on and always ended up bored and frustrated. This year I got an American to explain it to me and I ended up enjoying the hell out of it and I now consider myself a fan of the sport.

Then I found out the season doesn't start again till September? :doh:

I've decided to go for the Philadelphia Eagles, purely because when I used to follow the NHL I supported the Flyers. Are they any good? The extent of my knowledge is that their QB was arrested for dog fighting.

They have one of the best Coaches in the NFL (who admittedly has never won a Superbowl) and have a bevy of good players currently. As a huge bonus, they're one of the most likely teams to get a primetime game because they play in the NFC East. The QB who was arrested for Dog Fighting fought dogs while QB for another team, upon release from jail he signed with the Eagles. He's a pretty QB when healthy, but unfortunately his play style involves exposing himself to a ton of personal risk. Expect to either make the playoffs or watch him explode into a pile of viscera this season.

This year they were, uh, wildly underperforming but the liklihood of them being long-term terrible is pretty low. Be aware that being a fan of the Eagles has a pretty thugish connotation in the US. Your most hated rival is everyones' most hated rival, the goddamn loving Cowboys.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Barudak posted:

They have one of the best Coaches in the NFL (who admittedly has never won a Superbowl) and have a bevy of good players currently. As a huge bonus, they're one of the most likely teams to get a primetime game because they play in the NFC East. The QB who was arrested for Dog Fighting fought dogs while QB for another team, upon release from jail he signed with the Eagles. He's a pretty QB when healthy, but unfortunately his play style involves exposing himself to a ton of personal risk. Expect to either make the playoffs or watch him explode into a pile of viscera this season.

This year they were, uh, wildly underperforming but the liklihood of them being long-term terrible is pretty low. Be aware that being a fan of the Eagles has a pretty thugish connotation in the US. Your most hated rival is everyones' most hated rival, the goddamn loving Cowboys.

The Eagles also hate the Giants and to a lesser extent the Redskins.

You will find that being an Eagles fan revolves around the idea of hate, both others hating your team and you hating the teams of others.

Arschlochkind
Mar 29, 2010

:stare:

Declan MacManus posted:

You will find that being an Eagles fan revolves around the idea of hate, both others hating your team and you hating the teams of others.

Is it just me, or does it seem like a whole lot of foreign NFL fans pick teams that are either widely hated or historically bad? Eagles, Pats, Cowboys, Bills, Browns, etc.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Arschlochkind posted:

Is it just me, or does it seem like a whole lot of foreign NFL fans pick teams that are either widely hated or historically bad? Eagles, Pats, Cowboys, Bills, Browns, etc.

Widely hated teams generally have the biggest fanbases and therefore the largest amount of coverage.

The historically bad ones are the ones that get shipped off to play Euro exhibition games.

That's just my guess, though.

E: Rooting for the Eagles is like rooting for Barca minus the success, if any futbol fans are reading this thread.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

I think it goes both ways. Probably not too many American EPL fans that don't follow Man U, Liverpool, Arsenal, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Arschlochkind posted:

For us in Britain, most of them are less "historically bad" and more "were good in the 80s and early 90s"; so Cowboys, 49ers, Bills, Broncos, Steelers, Raiders, Redskins, Dolphins, Bears, Giants. The most popular had a good team and one or more iconic players; so Niners for Montana and Rice, Dolphins for Marino, Broncos for Elway, Bears for the Fridge and the Super Bowl Shuffle, that sort of thing.

Then you have a few teams with specific connections and significant followings; the Falcons had Mick Luckhurst kicking for them for a few years, for instance. John Smith at the Patriots made quite a few fans who now deeply resent getting taken for a bandwagoner of the kind that latched on with the rise of Tom Brady, who coincided neatly with the resurgence in the early 00s; there's also plenty of Green Bay Favres fans. If Tom Wort doesn't get hurt and gets any sort of NFL career, they're going to be everyone's second team and any vaguely new fan's first.

• Locked thread