Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

hedge posted:

Mazda 2

The Mazda 2 is right at the top of my eventual new car shortlist and if you don't mind me dumping a load of questions, how do you like it? I know the engine is a bit underpowered but how does the manual transmission feel? How's the handling and visibility? Does the car have that penalty box feel or is it just a bit spartan? Also how many licks does it take too get to the center of etc etc.

I should really just go and test drive a bunch of B-segment hatches at some point, preferably ones in lime green.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

hedge posted:

Mazda 2

What's the little computer screen for?

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

CharlesM posted:

It looks like one of those little OBDII scanners that doubles as a trip computer.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

hedge posted:

What the hell is the giant circular thing in the center dash?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Super Aggro Crag posted:

Speedometer.

TheGoatTrick
Aug 1, 2002

Semi-aquatic personification of unstoppable douchery

Super Aggro Crag posted:

Speedometer around the outside; screen for navigation, stereo, and phone on the inside.

CharlesM posted:

It's an UltraGauge.

Ineptus Mechanicus posted:

The Mazda 2 is right at the top of my eventual new car shortlist and if you don't mind me dumping a load of questions, how do you like it?
It's a great car. I love it even more after 7500 miles than I did when I bought it.

I know the engine is a bit underpowered but how does the manual transmission feel?
You'll manage with the power. I got four people plus luggage up to Lake Tahoe (6000+ feet elevation) at normal highway speeds with no complaints about comfort. We drove about 1500 miles over 4 days and I averaged 37 mpg.

The gearbox is excellent, probably the best front-drive one I've tried. I like it better than modern Hondas; the engagement has a nice mechanical heft to it. There's a large spread between first and second gears which is kind of a downer. The solution is to wind it out off the line before shifting to second. The clutch is a bit odd; I'm just now able to be consistently smooth with it.

How's the handling and visibility?
The handling is very good. Steering feel is surprisingly good for an electric system and understeer is minimal. It doesn't feel like a nose-heavy car at all. I wish it had a little less body roll, but on the other hand, it rides really well for a small car.

Visibility is fine. It has a big windshield and relatively small pillars. The rear headrests go all the way down onto the seatback so they don't block the rear view at all.

Does the car have that penalty box feel or is it just a bit spartan?
It's a bit loud inside and I wish it had Bluetooth and USB input for the stereo. Other than that, it doesn't feel lacking in features. I'd say it's more lightweight than cheap (although it is cheap). But there's a sense that there's some solidness underneath all the plastic.

Also how many licks does it take too get to the center of etc etc.
Three.

I should really just go and test drive a bunch of B-segment hatches at some point, preferably ones in lime green.
That gives you the choice of the 2, Fiesta, and Accent. All good cars. Honda started offering the Fit in 90's Nostalgia Teal this year, so there's that option too.

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

That's everything I needed to know, thanks man! Sounds like a perfect match, now all I have to do is find some spare money lying around.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

hedge posted:

There's a large spread between first and second gears which is kind of a downer. The solution is to wind it out off the line before shifting to second.

I've always wondered about that -- in a low power car where 1st gear is like a granny gear to get you going, what do you do when you are still warming the car up? Short shifting would lead to lugging, wouldn't it?

Mordred
Mar 15, 2007

Wow, you guys responded magnificantly.

Lots of good shots. Keep em coming.

Imperador do Brasil posted:

The only one I have of the Shelby:

I want this steering wheel.

thebecoming
Mar 23, 2004
Yes

2007 Mazda 6 S-GT

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:
I sort of forgot about my other car, 98 Legacy GT. I got it for $400 because it had a bad engine.
So I put an engine in it that I got for free..... You get what you pay for.
Anyway, the day before I was moving from Maine to North Carolina, the engine hemorrhaged all it's oil and seized. So I drove my 89 GL instead. (cue very AI adventure)
But now I'm back in ME faced with the issue of how the hell do I get a seized engine off an automatic transmission... Anyway, it's a pretty car. It looks nice sitting in a snow bank...

chrisgt fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Feb 5, 2012

boondocksts
Sep 28, 2004
the blazing s4

azerdude32 posted:

My car is too skinny, it needs more :btroll:

Is yours the wide body?

TheGoatTrick
Aug 1, 2002

Semi-aquatic personification of unstoppable douchery

kimbo305 posted:

I've always wondered about that -- in a low power car where 1st gear is like a granny gear to get you going, what do you do when you are still warming the car up? Short shifting would lead to lugging, wouldn't it?
It's not that bad. If you drive it like a normal person it will be a bit slow but it won't lug. The cold engine light is usually out by the time I leave the parking lot anyway.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Not your normal Crown Vic Interior....

2002 LX Sport

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

You have no idea how tempted I was to buy that a couple years ago when you were selling it. :allears:
I have no idea why I have such a thing for the panther bodies.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I'm glad it didn't sell, we don't need the money so bad anymore, It's my wife's and she loves it :)

It's currently sitting though due to a bad axle leak I have to fix when I get a chance :(

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

My ex has a Mercury Grand Marquis and that thing was like driving around on a leather couch. Real comfortable and way nicer than my dad's Crown Vic.

Here are some interior shots of my Cobalt SS/SC. I need to find something to clean those seats with. The mesh material is weird. And yeah I know the front plate is ricey in the windshield but I just got my Show N Go front place mount a few days ago, still have to install it. Also thinking about replacing the stock head unit with a Pioneer AVH4300DVD unit when I get my taxes back.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

Super Aggro Crag posted:

My ex has a Mercury Grand Marquis and that thing was like driving around on a leather couch. Real comfortable and way nicer than my dad's Crown Vic.

I drove a '98 Marquis that had a blown up motor and then a junkyard motor dropped in from something like 168k to 245k before it was finally junked. Kept having horrible fuel pump problems and eventually chased down electrical problems for a few months before giving up.

I limped that fucker on for a long time.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cPMbdTpC9Tw

I drive a now beater 99 Civic and it's a horrid little reliable shitbox. Powerless i4's aren't fun at all.
God I miss my grandpa mobile :(

Paul Boz_
Dec 21, 2003

Sin City
Hell the interior is where you spend most of your time anyway..

'07 AP2 s2000

Money shot.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

boondocksts posted:

Is yours the wide body?

No, I loving wish it was. My car is the green one. The owner of the wide body has TiAL 605's on the car apparently. And he has Recaro Topline seats. I'm really envious.

nutnmunch posted:

I'm not sure why, but that interior is perfect.

Thank you!

D C posted:

B5s have the best interior.

I miss sitting in mine.

Yea, they really are awesome interiors that have hardly aged somehow.

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001
How about you guys put what make and model of car you have so those of us who don't have detective skills can figure poo poo out.

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001

Super Aggro Crag posted:

The absolute worst place for a speedo.

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl

kimbo305 posted:

Having mostly owned little shitboxes like that, the answer is it's fully warmed up in under 30 seconds or so. Seriously, it doesn't take much fire to warm up that 19 ounces or whatever of aluminum that powers, say, a Ford Aspire

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

kimbo305 posted:

Yall don't want to see the whole interior. If I told you it was a manual Grand Prix, you'd believe me. A sampling:

GM apologist! Lightweight plastics mean more speed!
1998, sorry it's an auto.

2002, not sorry its an auto with the traffic around here.

Belldandy
Sep 11, 2001

Do not try to boost in peace, because that is impossible. Instead only try to realize the truth, there is no boost.

Paul Boz_ posted:

Hell the interior is where you spend most of your time anyway..

'07 AP2 s2000

Money shot.

God damnit I want your car so bad.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

08.5 Mazdaspeed3

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Super Aggro Crag posted:

Here are some interior shots of my Cobalt SS/SC. I need to find something to clean those seats with. The mesh material is weird. And yeah I know the front plate is ricey in the windshield but I just got my Show N Go front place mount a few days ago, still have to install it. Also thinking about replacing the stock head unit with a Pioneer AVH4300DVD unit when I get my taxes back.

Be careful when replacing your stock stereo if the car has OnStar. You will either have to rewire everything or buy an OnStar adapter plus the steering wheel control adapter for everything to function.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Mordred posted:

I want this steering wheel.

It can be yours for the low, low price of $59,000!*

*Free Shelby GT500 included!!!!!

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

Be careful when replacing your stock stereo if the car has OnStar. You will either have to rewire everything or buy an OnStar adapter plus the steering wheel control adapter for everything to function.

How can I tell if it has OnStar? I've read that I need to buy a wiring harness to keep the steering wheel controls and a harness to keep the door chimes and stuff.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Super Aggro Crag posted:

How can I tell if it has OnStar?

Because it will have a big blue button somewhere obvious that is labeled "On*".

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Super Aggro Crag posted:

How can I tell if it has OnStar? I've read that I need to buy a wiring harness to keep the steering wheel controls and a harness to keep the door chimes and stuff.

Does your rear-view mirror have OnStar buttons? The door chimes and turn signals are all played through the stereo, so yeah you'll probably have to get the adapter. Check Crutchfield, they will tell you what you need, even if you decide to buy from someone else.

DogDodger
Nov 19, 2006

Hellcat likes it rough.
2002 ALMS TT:

2007 RS 4:

2012 TT RS:

2003 Elantra GLS:

sadnessboner
Feb 20, 2006
Interior! '63 Holden Special

Tanz-Kommandant
Dec 25, 2009

Radio Message from HQ:
Dance Commander
:h:WE LOVE YOU:h:

sadnessboner posted:

Interior! '63 Holden Special

That's fuckin sexy as hell. :D

Mordred
Mar 15, 2007

DogDodger posted:

This is the right colors.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

2008 Fiat Panda

:v:

Mordred
Mar 15, 2007

It can be yours for the low, low price of $59,000!*

*Free Shelby GT500 included!!!!!

It is just ridiculous how expensive cars are here in Denmark. You'd need $64,383 to buy a brand new BMW 1 series. And thats the cheapest there is. No options or extras AT ALL for that kind of money.

Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011

KozmoNaut posted:

2008 Fiat Panda

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
03 Cooper S. I don't leave the GPS there all the time, but it's the perfect place to stick it for trips

:shobon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuelslt1
Jun 23, 2007
Maybe if I sell enough undercoating, I'll eventually stop being a gigantic prick.

Fuelslt1 fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Nov 28, 2018