Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

These Loving Eyes
Jun 6, 2009

These Loving Eyes posted:

Are there any good documentaries about music studio work in the 70s? Actually any documentary that goes through the whole recording, mixing and mastering process would be awesome. I've seen a lot of those Classic Albums documents that have been entertaining but I wish they'd dwelve deeper into the actual making of the albums. Also, you can recommend documentaries about music scenes in the 70s (or other eras but preferably not before 70s).

Answering my own request if someone else happened to be interested: Tom Downd and the Language of Music (trailer only, sadly). The same guy who worked with atom bombs engineered a hell of a lot of good records. Great documentary going through his whole career.

Still, I'm open for suggestions if anyone happens to know any other good docs about music in general.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Debunk This!
Apr 12, 2011

Communocracy posted:

And this an episode of Drugs, Inc. about Ketamine that features my lovely homeotown of Toronto. http://www.putlocker.com/file/6B3F4BBB5588F743 (does this count as filez or w/e? Please tell me or just edit the link out if so don't ban me oh god.)

Thank you so much for this! One of my best friends was interviewed for this and I've been waiting a long time to see it.

Flaky
Feb 14, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Can anyone provide a link to the 1999 drama Warriors. I remember my parents watching it when I was younger, but not really being able to understand it. Also thanks to whoever posted Afghantsi earlier, from the same director Peter Kosminsky.

Flaky fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Feb 4, 2012

BeigeJacket
Jul 21, 2005

Are there any good documentaries about music studio work in the 70s? Actually any documentary that goes through the whole recording, mixing and mastering process would be awesome. I've seen a lot of those Classic Albums documents that have been entertaining but I wish they'd dwelve deeper into the actual making of the albums. Also, you can recommend documentaries about music scenes in the 70s (or other eras but preferably not before 70s).

You've probably seen it as you've mentioned the series, but the Classic Albums episode on Steely Dans Aja is pretty great for this sort of thing. There's no period footage or anything but rather contemporary (ie 90s) interviews with Fagan and Becket (two of the greatest studio-heads to ever record) as they go the LP track by track.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PH3l4mjh2y8

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

I just ctrl-f'd every age of this thread but may have missed it, and even if it's not posted here yet one of you could point it out to me. I'm looking for documentaries on the Moorish conquest of Spain, Islamic Al-Andalus, and the reconquista. Anything y'all can recommend?

Tres Burritos
Sep 3, 2009

Tentakulon posted:

Anima Mundi (2011) discusses the Gaia hypothesis, which proposes to look at the entire planet as a living organism. Speakers are Australian permaculture pope Steve Holmgren, some peak oil folks, and the infamous Michael Ruppert. It's a beautifully shot, compelling film that makes a strong point for a necessary change of mindset that we'll have to make.
I haven't found full for streaming, so you'll have to rent or :filez: it, but here's a trailer at least: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bWzsbljlOHA&feature=watch-now-dialog-button&wide=1

Found this on Amazon, and one of the reviews was :wtc:.

quote:

Basically I can sum up this inadequate waste of time with one of my favorite bumper stickers. "Save the planet, kill yourself". No mention of free energy systems at all, not one. This is really just propaganda and leaves out many other potential reasons for dramatic earth changes. Ask yourself why, just why, you can find palm tree seeds in Antarctica? why, because the earth expands and the land portion of Antarctica was once sub-tropical. Please do some research, free energy is real and has the potential to radically change economies and to free people too. I did enjoy the earth ship homes but the rest is just too much. Also, why do we find CO2 in the bottom of coal mines? Think about that.

Mincher
May 12, 2008

Grand Prize Winner posted:

I just ctrl-f'd every age of this thread but may have missed it, and even if it's not posted here yet one of you could point it out to me. I'm looking for documentaries on the Moorish conquest of Spain, Islamic Al-Andalus, and the reconquista. Anything y'all can recommend?

I'm pretty sure that Boris Johnson (Mayor of London) covered this subject in After Rome.

It's a BBC documentary so it may be online somewhere.

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

BeigeJacket posted:

You've probably seen it as you've mentioned the series, but the Classic Albums episode on Steely Dans Aja is pretty great for this sort of thing. There's no period footage or anything but rather contemporary (ie 90s) interviews with Fagan and Becket (two of the greatest studio-heads to ever record) as they go the LP track by track.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PH3l4mjh2y8

The one on Dark Side Of the Moon's pretty good too.

Haerc
Jan 2, 2011

Grand Prize Winner posted:

I saw a doc on PBS last year about Spain that included those subjects, I'll go look for it.

Edit: hmm I'm pretty sure this is it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CE-F2tybkDQ

Also, a historical fantasy novel by Guy Gavriel Kay, The Lions of Al-Rassan is really great. It's set in a time/area based upon Moorish Spain. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Lions_of_Al-Rassan

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Answering my own request if someone else happened to be interested: Tom Downd and the Language of Music (trailer only, sadly). The same guy who worked with atom bombs engineered a hell of a lot of good records. Great documentary going through his whole career.

Still, I'm open for suggestions if anyone happens to know any other good docs about music in general.
Thanks for this. I think I saw the whole thing on Netflix and initially thought it was another poof piece making some label giant feel better about how he raped artists (I'm just saying - there's a lot of "hey I made a big contribution behind my desk" music documentaries out there) but this one was fantastic. Cats like this (that's right I said "cats") are the ones that took those raw artists and somehow educated them while keeping that rawness.

Sure, he's no Quincy Jones...

Cyril Sneer
Aug 8, 2004

Life would be simple in the forest except for Cyril Sneer. And his life would be simple except for The Raccoons.

Communocracy posted:

And this an episode of Drugs, Inc. about Ketamine that features my lovely homeotown of Toronto. http://www.putlocker.com/file/6B3F4BBB5588F743 (does this count as filez or w/e? Please tell me or just edit the link out if so don't ban me oh god.)

Ah, great. I'm a big fan of the show but I somehow missed this episode.

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

162 megabytes for 42 minutes of video is probably more of a crime than anything.

UltraShame
Nov 6, 2006

Vocabulum.
I got to watch the NOVA documentary about their expedition to Everest, when they ended up finding George Mallory's body in 1999. It was great. The amount of corpses frozen forever on the side of the mountain is shocking.

Anyone have any other recommendations for documentaries regarding Mount Everest?

e: added some links for the curious.

UltraShame fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Feb 5, 2012

bionictom
Mar 17, 2009
there's a thread about everest here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3412948

These were the ducomentaries people mentioned:
Touching the Void
Dark Side of Everest
IMAX Everest (film team that was there for the '96 disaster)
Everest: Beyond the Limit by Discovery (film team was there for the '06 David Sharp death and controversy)
Frontline: Storm Over Everest

UltraShame
Nov 6, 2006

Vocabulum.

bionictom posted:

there's a thread about everest here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3412948

These were the ducomentaries people mentioned:
Touching the Void
Dark Side of Everest
IMAX Everest (film team that was there for the '96 disaster)
Everest: Beyond the Limit by Discovery (film team was there for the '06 David Sharp death and controversy)
Frontline: Storm Over Everest

Wow, that was fast and incredibly helpful! Thanks, I had no idea that thread existed. I got to see Beyond the Limit recently - I think that's the one where the dude with the crazy prosthetic legs summited. It was excellent, if a little short.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
American Radical is a documentary on Norman Finkelstein. If you are unaware of him, he is most famous for his highly controversial book released in 2000 The Holocaust Industry: Reflections on the Exploitation of Jewish Suffering. The documentary mostly focuses on Jewish/American reaction towards Finkelstein's forthright criticism of Israeli policy towards the Palestinians, and is well worth watching.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

UltraShame posted:

I got to watch the NOVA documentary about their expedition to Everest, when they ended up finding George Mallory's body in 1999. It was great. The amount of corpses frozen forever on the side of the mountain is shocking.

Anyone have any other recommendations for documentaries regarding Mount Everest?

Definitely check out Touching the Void if you haven't yet. It's not about Everest but is instead about a truly horrific climbing accident and the amazing survival story that followed.

UltraShame
Nov 6, 2006

Vocabulum.
Evidently Touching the Void is both a book, and has a dramatized movie. Since this is the documentary thread, how good is the film?

Also, thank you.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

UltraShame posted:

Since this is the documentary thread, how good is the film

Very good--it mixes documentary interview with good dramatization to really pull you in to the story.

Elijya
May 11, 2005

Could you please continue the petty bickering? I find it most intriguing.

UltraShame posted:

Many of the dead on Everest died climbing the glacier, falling between the cracks. Their bodies get ground up by the glacial shifts, repeatedly smashed and pulverized, and then eventually spat out. So, unfortunately, not entombed pristinely forever on the mountain side.

Just, you know, fyi. Since you seemed interested in dead bodies on Everest.

Anyway, not having checked this thread since page 4, any really awesome new space stuff? I've seen Cosmos and most of the older ones. The OP could use an update.

Elijya fucked around with this message at 08:25 on Feb 6, 2012

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

Elijya posted:

Many of the dead on Everest died climbing the glacier, falling between the cracks. Their bodies get ground up by the glacial shifts, repeatedly smashed and pulverized, and then eventually spat out. So, unfortunately, not entombed pristinely forever on the mountain side.

Anyway, not having checked this thread since page 4, any really awesome new space stuff? I've seen Cosmos and most of the older ones. The OP could use an update.

I think the current goon favorites are Discovery's How The Universe Works, narrated by Mike Rowe and Into The Universe, narrated by Stephen Hawking and Benedict Cumberbatch (of Sherlock fame).

Edgar Quintero
Oct 5, 2004

POTENTIALLY DANGEROUS
DO NOT GIVE HEROIN

Rare Collectable posted:

Thank you so much for this! One of my best friends was interviewed for this and I've been waiting a long time to see it.

I'm guessing you know some Trip project people, so do I. Unless you meant the cops or dealers in which case lol.

Anyway there's a great apartheid doc called Have you heard from Johannesburg, Youtube seems to only have clips. If someone can find me a full version thats not blocked outside US that'd be super.

Tentakulon
Apr 12, 2010

BEHOLD THE REMAINS OF ANCIENT AGRICULTURAL DEVELOPMENT! IF ONLY GBS WOULD LISTEN TO ME. MY TALK COULD SAVE THE WORLD FROM THE SAME FATE! ALSO BOOK YOUR SEATS NOW FOR PEAK OIL TO HIT THIS SUMMER!
Here's some more Permaculture: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TMQ8eSm92xQ&feature=related

It's a lecture on permaculture systems. Fairly comprehensive, and in parts accompanied by music, illustrations, and video. A very good overview.

freezingprocess
Mar 25, 2005

The Botany of Desire
http://www.pbs.org/thebotanyofdesire/

It is a documentary featuring one of my favorite writers (Michael Pollan). In a nutshell it is about how plants have shaped human history. However, there is quite a bit of interesting ideas to unpack in this movie.

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.
Just watched a bbc documentary on krautrock: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00nf10k and I loved it.
It's as well made/informative as other musicdocs they made, like 'synth britannia'

irrelephant
Feb 13, 2009

Elijya posted:

There are plenty of photographs of bodies on Everest, most huddling in the same position as when they took their last breath. They even become morbid landmarks, such is their permenancy, like ol' Green Boots. They sit there forever frozen, dead bodies right there beside the loving hiking trail because it would require an entire expedition with the sole purpose of just retrieving the body to move it further than a few yards. I followed that Everest...est...est thread and watched tons of the documentaries, films, etc, none of which mentioned any pulverized corpses as far as I can remember :confused: the worst are the close ups of black frostbitten faces with an open mouth silently screaming forever :cry:

Contentwise, I just finished watching The Holy Crusades, which is presented by Terry Jones. Can anyone recommend something in a similar lighthearted tone, but more modern? Any subject is fine. Give me All The Knowledge in an easy to consume format
Part 1:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mXed3tvR_-g

Elijya
May 11, 2005

Could you please continue the petty bickering? I find it most intriguing.

irrelephant posted:

There are plenty of photographs of bodies on Everest, most huddling in the same position as when they took their last breath. They even become morbid landmarks, such is their permenancy, like ol' Green Boots. They sit there forever frozen, dead bodies right there beside the loving hiking trail because it would require an entire expedition with the sole purpose of just retrieving the body to move it further than a few yards. I followed that Everest...est...est thread and watched tons of the documentaries, films, etc, none of which mentioned any pulverized corpses as far as I can remember :confused: the worst are the close ups of black frostbitten faces with an open mouth silently screaming forever :cry:

Contentwise, I just finished watching The Holy Crusades, which is presented by Terry Jones. Can anyone recommend something in a similar lighthearted tone, but more modern? Any subject is fine. Give me All The Knowledge in an easy to consume format
Part 1:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mXed3tvR_-g
Oh, I never said nobody never died on the mountain itself, just what fate awaited those who died on the glacier.

As for Terry Jones, he does great, lighthearted stuff all the time, although it's rarely modern history. If you have Netflix, up on streaming right now are Terry Jones: Ancient Inventions (three episodes on War, Sex, and City Life), The Hidden History of Rome, The Hidden History of Egypt, and The Story of 1, a PBS special about the number 1.

Many of these are up on Youtube as well https://www.google.com/search?tbm=v...iw=1024&bih=594

irrelephant
Feb 13, 2009

Elijya posted:

Oh, I never said nobody never died on the mountain itself, just what fate awaited those who died on the glacier.

As for Terry Jones, he does great, lighthearted stuff all the time, although it's rarely modern history. If you have Netflix, up on streaming right now are Terry Jones: Ancient Inventions (three episodes on War, Sex, and City Life), The Hidden History of Rome, The Hidden History of Egypt, and The Story of 1, a PBS special about the number 1.

Many of these are up on Youtube as well https://www.google.com/search?tbm=v...iw=1024&bih=594

I've been meaning to check Terry's other ones out for a while, wish I could find the time, so thanks for the reminder! I didn't mean modern history, but more recent productions. Think, sarcastic David Attenborough made in the last ~5 years :D.
I kind of want to ask you what docos covered these gruesome glacial deaths...but am totally sure that I will regret it.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

irrelephant posted:

The weird thing about digital photography is that it really looks like you could just chip him out and bury the guy somewhere. It just looks like something someone made with a stuffed pair of old ski equipment, winter, and a garden hose.

kazmeyer
Jul 26, 2001

'Cause we're the good guys.

irrelephant posted:

I followed that Everest...est...est thread and watched tons of the documentaries, films, etc, none of which mentioned any pulverized corpses as far as I can remember :confused:

The ones that get preserved (at least to an extent) are the ones that die high up on the ridges -- but there are still scavengers, and sometimes they and the elements will work together to reduce corpses left in certain conditions. (For instance, I think there's one corpse high on the route which is legs-only at this point, if it hasn't disappeared entirely.) The ones that stay forever tend to be the ones that are partially sheltered and/or frozen into the mountainside in the lee of the wind.

The pulverization happens if you happen to die in the Khumbu Icefall. It's a frozen waterfall consisting of building-sized seracs slowly moving down the mountain, and every so often someone falls into a crevasse there and dies. If that happens, the shifting ice could easily grind your corpse into pulp before taking your remains down the mountain.

Wrageowrapper
Apr 30, 2009

DRINK! ARSE! FECKIN CHRISTMAS!
The Hidden History of Homosexuality in Australia is a pretty good doco. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W59IMUmnCac

Tambaloneus
Feb 5, 2007

I miss my cat someone buy me a kitten.

Wrageowrapper posted:

The Hidden History of Homosexuality in Australia is a pretty good doco. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W59IMUmnCac

Cheers Wraggy ole boy. Reminds me I must buy Priscilla that movie was a hoot and a half!

Maksamakkara
Jan 22, 2006

quote:

The Hunt For Britain's Pedophiles

Just watched the first part. First you are horrified, then you listen to the guy talk, and you start to think, okay, perhaps this guy is just a victim of his perverted sexuality and circumstances. Then in the end you see the hardened Scotland Yard dude cry, and you realize that the abuser made a conscious choice to start hurting helpless people. This is usually a horrible thing to say, but in the end it was for the best for the society and himself that the abuser offed himself.

Onion Vanguard
Jun 11, 2010

Breathe in. Breathe out.
Does anyone have any documentaries on interracial dating or anything related to that? Thanks

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.

Maksamakkara posted:

Just watched the first part. First you are horrified, then you listen to the guy talk, and you start to think, okay, perhaps this guy is just a victim of his perverted sexuality and circumstances. Then in the end you see the hardened Scotland Yard dude cry, and you realize that the abuser made a conscious choice to start hurting helpless people. This is usually a horrible thing to say, but in the end it was for the best for the society and himself that the abuser offed himself.

I have to say, I was extremely impressed with the professionalism of the police throughout the documentary. It has to be very, very hard to treat those offenders so courteously, especially given the personal toll it takes to see the material.

The Mutato
Feb 23, 2011

Neil deGrasse Highson
Someone suggest me the best documentaries about big scary animals. I think I've seen a lot of lion ones though.Not looking for something informative, just stylistically impressive.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

The Mutato posted:

Someone suggest me the best documentaries about big scary animals. I think I've seen a lot of lion ones though.Not looking for something informative, just stylistically impressive.

Bear 71

Jeremy Mendes and Leanne Allison’s poignant interactive documentary about a bear in the Canadian Rockies illuminates the way humans engage with wildlife in the age of networks, satellites, and digital surveillance. Audiences from around the world can use their smartphones to become part of an interactive forest environment rich with bears, cougars, sheep, deer, and people as they follow an emotional story of a grizzly bear tagged and monitored by Banff National Park rangers

GoldenWeapon
Nov 17, 2007
The cake is a lie
Dr Alice Roberts explains the unique evolutionary path from monkeys to us, including the shape of our body, how food and the use of tools changed our evolution and the evolution of the thing that makes us more unique than any other animal: the brain.

http://topdocumentaryfilms.com/origins-of-us/

Imapanda
Sep 12, 2008

Majoris Felidae Peditum
I just finished Brian Cox's Wonders of the Universe and am feeling this big urge to watch anything else related to the knowledge of the cosmos.

I've already seen Cosmos, and Brian Cox's segments of it. Could any of you recommend some other similar documentaries? I heard there's a Stephen Hawking one? Are there any others? I just don't want to look through 50+ pages of the thread, and I don't want to be reminded of all the :smith:-talk regarding Dear Zachary again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

The Joy Of Stats
Prof. Hans Rosling describes statistics and how they show how life for the average person is getting better. Much better than it sounds.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=moGvo59ARNI

He's the guy that did this amazing real time chart.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ahp7QhbB8G4