Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007
Excuse me, do you know where Saiyans hang out?

TheJoker138 posted:

It was universally loved when it came out it seems, but before it released and now afterwards I have seen quite a few people going "Ok well, it was a good game, but it wasn't a good RE game," just like they do with 5. I personally was really resistant to the change, but ended up really liking both 4 and 5, but those people are out there who don't.

This is pretty much exactly how I feel. RE4 and 5 were fantastic games, really great games, but for gently caress's sake give us more of the RE1-3 style gameplay and story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.

TheJoker138 posted:

Also, OldMemes, Deadly Silence is a good port with some cool new modes added. I don't know if it's worth that much money if you have any other version of the game already though.

I've actually never played a Resident Evil game before.

Are you planning to add to the side games section in the OP soon? I'm actually really interested in hearing about them.

OldMemes fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Feb 5, 2012

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

OldMemes posted:

Are you planning to add to the side games section in the OP soon? I'm actually really interested about hearing about them.

I say go for it then. Out of all the ports of RE I have played, that one is probably the best one. Although it does lack the arrange mode from the Director's cut.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

OldMemes posted:

Are you planning to add to the side games section in the OP soon? I'm actually really interested in hearing about them.

I've been busy with work, class, and the website I work for lately, but I have some free time today and tomorrow, so there's a good chance it'll get updated then. I may start on it right now, in fact.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

FuriousGeorge posted:

I'm not sure I get why the OP describes RE4 as "contentious". It seems pretty universally beloved to me.

Are there people who don't like it? And if so, why haven't they been deported?

"Contentious" is a fair label. The original RE games have a notoriously fervent, deeply weird fan community, many of whom don't like RE4 because it's so different from what came before it. Some have bridged the gap, but I'd imagine you could go to any RE fansite right now and find a good number of regulars who're clamoring for a return to the old style of play.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

Wanderer posted:

"Contentious" is a fair label. The original RE games have a notoriously fervent, deeply weird fan community, many of whom don't like RE4 because it's so different from what came before it. Some have bridged the gap, but I'd imagine you could go to any RE fansite right now and find a good number of regulars who're clamoring for a return to the old style of play.

Take for example, the entire community of Neogaf.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=459508

Reive
May 21, 2009

Update on the fundraiser for Resident Evil GBC, it's complete!
Complete success, both builds available to play now.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.

blackguy32 posted:

I say go for it then. Out of all the ports of RE I have played, that one is probably the best one. Although it does lack the arrange mode from the Director's cut.

Does it have the original awful voice acting? If not, that's a kind of a deal breaker for me :colbert:

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]
Just beat Resident Evil 2 on Leon's side. It still holds up rather well, but the tank controls were sometimes infuriating and the voice acting was unintentionally hilarious.

I ended up stockpiling most of my weapons and ended up having like 100 pistol bullets, 50 magnum rounds and 80 shotgun slugs because I thought the end boss was going to require it. Was surprised to see him die in 6 magnum shots....oh well. :v:

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

OldMemes posted:

Does it have the original awful voice acting? If not, that's a kind of a deal breaker for me :colbert:

Its the original in almost every way. So yes, it has the awful voice acting.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Cardboard Fox posted:

Just beat Resident Evil 2 on Leon's side.

Congratulations, you're 1/4 of the way through the game! :v:

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Silhouette posted:

Congratulations, you're 1/4 of the way through the game! :v:

Resident Evil 2 was a really good deal. There is a lot of game packed into those two discs.

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]
So let me get this straight if I've started with LeonA:

The next playthrough has to be ClairB. Then I start the game over with ClairA and finish with LeonB?

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Cardboard Fox posted:

The next playthrough has to be ClairB. Then I start the game over with ClairA and finish with LeonB?

Precisely.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Cardboard Fox posted:

Yeah, well you could start a new save file with Claire A. To play Claire B you have to load your Leon A cleared game.

Funking Giblet
Jun 28, 2004

Jiglightful!

blackguy32 posted:

Resident Evil 2 was a really good deal. There is a lot of game packed into those two discs.

They really need to remake RE2, it's by far the best game for me.

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]
That's cool.

I'm going to finish up ClairB and then maybe do it again as ClairA/LeonB depending on how different the next playthrough would be. Otherwise I may just move on the Nemesis.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Everyone talking about how lovely the AI is on Professional for RE5 wasn't kidding, the Wesker and Jill fight is just soooo loving unfair. Took me 2 hours because Sheva kept getting shot by Jill :negative: of course I probably would be find except my PS3 won't sign in so I can't find anyone online to streamline the process

Meowjesty
Oct 23, 2009

Friends depend on each other.
If you're not repeatedly spamming the follow command while trying to hide, you're doing it wrong. You gotta keep Sheva right next to you.

Seven minutes. Seven minutes of 'C'MON SHEVAaa C'MON SHEVA C'MON C'MON C'MON.'

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

When I did that fight on Professional with the AI, I did it in a decidedly more funny way. I gave Sheva an infinite ammo Handcannon then let her do her stupid AI while I ran at Jill and then proceeded to run circles around her as she vainly tried to turn about face to look and shoot at me. Of course at the same time, Wesker is always trying to zero in on Chris.

The funny part is that Sheva will attack Wesker if she ever gets a clear shot, so what I just did was run in circles around Jill while she and Wesker failed to hit me and occasionally Sheva would score a shot in the back which dealt enough damage to rush in and do the melee QTE.

Mug
Apr 26, 2005

Cream posted:

Isn't the original RE on the GC too?

No, just the remake.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

You can get the original on PSN though, along with 2 and 3.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Schlegel Mach posted:

If you're not repeatedly spamming the follow command while trying to hide, you're doing it wrong. You gotta keep Sheva right next to you.

Seven minutes. Seven minutes of 'C'MON SHEVAaa C'MON SHEVA C'MON C'MON C'MON.'
It has been posted already, but if you just shoot a rocket at Wesker, then blow it up after he catches it, it ends that part immediately. No waiting seven minutes.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Still going through RE3, and yeah, I don't know how I finished this back in the day because it kind of sucks compared to RE2. Dodging keeps getting me into more trouble than anything else, the voice acting\writing is worse than the previous game (I don't know how that's possible but it is), and the files you collect are pretty boring and the "photos" you find are often literally nothing other than screenshots from the loving cinematics. I think I found four or five of them all from the intro, seriously Capcom? That poo poo reeks of :effort:

The bosses all feel like loving bullet sponges on Hard Mode (yeah I know, Hard mode, but I shouldn't be able to sink in grenades, flame rounds, and shotgun ammo and still have poo poo teetering toward me, gently caress you game) and fighting Nemesis is more awkward than tense considering how much more mobile he is.

edit: how the gently caress did I do that, figured out the water sample puzzle on the first try. Oh well, that puzzle is still pretty terrible.

Good soup! fucked around with this message at 11:44 on Feb 6, 2012

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

irlZaphod posted:

It has been posted already, but if you just shoot a rocket at Wesker, then blow it up after he catches it, it ends that part immediately. No waiting seven minutes.

This is also incredibly easy to do with the unlimited ammo rocket launcher, which you should have when attempting a pro run.

SusanosWrath
Jan 3, 2012

This Unit Will Self-Destruct Upon Termination of Target
Any suggestions on playing well in RE:Code Veronica? Because I usually have some trouble when I pop it into my Dreamcast

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

psychoticBacofoil posted:

Any suggestions on playing well in RE:Code Veronica? Because I usually have some trouble when I pop it into my Dreamcast

Yeah. Take the disc and throw it in the garbage. Put in literally any other main series RE game instead. You have now played CV the only right way.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Knife every zombie in the knees, the knife is ridiculously overpowered in CV.

SoggyGravy
Jul 14, 2008

MAXIMUM
OVERGOON

Dan Didio posted:

The first two Dino Crisis games are amazing.

I was always kind of annoyed that they placed Regina in the sort of 'secondary' role in 2 when I first played it, but it really is a fantastic game and being able to unlock her outfit in, uh, Resident Evil 3? was wicked at the time.

I can't believe they decided to follow up on those two games with that crazy, unrelated dinos in space disaster.

EDIT: TRAT! That was the name of the Dino Crisis S.T.A.R.S. TRAT owns.

EDIT2: They even ended the second one on a cliffhanger, goddamn it.

EDIT3: Hell, they even had that lightgun shooter, Dino Stalker.

Your edit reminded me of a game, T.R.A.G Now who played that game?! I can't for the life of me recall anything about it except that it was some hilariously awful amalgamation of awful. Like if awful got inside awful and they boarded a bandwagon that was called awful Resident Evil Style Game.

This was a long time ago though so the actual similarities to resident evil might be lacking.

timeandtide
Nov 29, 2007

This space is reserved for future considerations.

Play Darkside Chronicles instead.

It actually drastically improves the game, in all seriousness, by making Steve less annoying, the game shorter so all filler is cut, turns it from "Claire's game then Chris shows up and finishes it for her" to "Redfield siblings uses teamwork," makes the Linear Launcher actually connect to the plot in a cool way, and adds in a few nice locations.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Use the knife as much as you can at the start, and try not to backtrack too much. If you bring the right items with you, and go the right way, it's reasonably painless to do the whole of Claire's segment on Rockfort. It's mainly about doing things in the "right" order.

What do you have trouble with, exactly? I know it's a bit of a lovely game, I played through it for the first time a few months ago when the HD remake came out. Ammo's pretty tight at first but if you conserve it well, you can be armed to the teeth by the end. There's a few boss fights that are essentially skippable for example.

irlZaphod fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Feb 6, 2012

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

irlZaphod posted:

Use the knife as much as you can at the start, and try not to backtrack too much. If you bring the right items with you, and go the right way, it's reasonably painless to do the whole of Claire's segment on Rockfort. It's mainly about doing things in the "right" order.

What do you have trouble with, exactly? I know it's a bit of a lovely game, I played through it for the first time a few months ago when the HD remake came out. Ammo's pretty tight at first but if you conserve it well, you can be armed to the teeth by the end. There's a few boss fights that are essentially skippable for example.

To specify: Aim the knife downwards at their legs. This makes it very easy to knock them over.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

I can never get that knife to loving work in CV. Half the time the zombies just walk through unfazed and bite me.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

TheJoker138 posted:

Yeah. Take the disc and throw it in the garbage. Put in literally any other main series RE game instead. You have now played CV the only right way.

You misspelled RE0.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
Just played a bunch of RE2 (Claire A) last night after the superbowl and its amazing how much of the game requires heads up inventory management, not just in terms of conserving blah blah blah, but actually having the right item in your inventory ar the right time, every time. Every stop at an item chest is critical if you're running for time. I guess it alot of people got bored of memorizing routes and puzzles and that item chest sort of gameplay but I totally loved it.

Last time I played RE2 on the PSX itself was a farewell run of sorts: a 12 hour blast through all 4 "games," unlocking all 3 weapons and Hunk. None of the individual clear times were spectacular but I'm not sure if anyone has ever done anything quite like back to back to back to back playthroughs. :black101:

Chocolate America
Nov 5, 2008

by garbage day

Seamonster posted:

Just played a bunch of RE2 (Claire A) last night after the superbowl and its amazing how much of the game requires heads up inventory management, not just in terms of conserving blah blah blah, but actually having the right item in your inventory ar the right time, every time. Every stop at an item chest is critical if you're running for time. I guess it alot of people got bored of memorizing routes and puzzles and that item chest sort of gameplay but I totally loved it.

Last time I played RE2 on the PSX itself was a farewell run of sorts: a 12 hour blast through all 4 "games," unlocking all 3 weapons and Hunk. None of the individual clear times were spectacular but I'm not sure if anyone has ever done anything quite like back to back to back to back playthroughs. :black101:

Do speed runs get you anything in RE2?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Chocolate America posted:

Do speed runs get you anything in RE2?

Yes. Rocket Launcher and Gattling Gun.

SusanosWrath
Jan 3, 2012

This Unit Will Self-Destruct Upon Termination of Target
Ok, so from what I gather, in CV the best strategy is to knife the zombies in the legs. I will most certainly try that tactic next time I play.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH

ImpAtom posted:

Yes. Rocket Launcher and Gattling Gun.

and submachine gun (its terrible so nobody remembers it)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

The problem with those cool speed run items is that after you get good enough at the game to beat it in 2.5 hours or whatever without saving or using first aide sprays the reward isn't as amazing since you'd mastered everything. I did it, loaded up a new game, killed a few zombies and then was pretty much done.

Some new mode probably would have been better but whatever. RE2 was still awesome.