Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

univbee posted:

:eng101: In case, anyone's wondering with the symbol on the "wizard's" forehead, the swastika with the opposite directionality of the Nazi symbol is prevalent in Asian countries including Japan to represent eternity and buddhism; you often see it on maps to show where a buddhist temple is, like how we'd use a cross. Of course, that doesn't make the sequence of errors leading to a white-hooded villain having it on his cap any less hilarious.

The Pokémon TCG had a similar issue with one card if memory serves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Man that last level was such a dick.

Anyway while we're mentioning trackers to consider using, how about http://www.d-addicts.com/forum/torrents.php ?

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl
I was inspired to make a thing, and I wanna post it here first

Grawl
Aug 28, 2008

Do the D.A.N.C.E
1234, fight!
Stick to the B.E.A.T
Get ready to ignite
You were such a P.Y.T
Catching all the lights
Just easy as A.B.C
That's how we make it right

redmercer posted:

I was inspired to make a thing, and I wanna post it here first

I really don't care, but not everyone is a fan of a 4MB GIF-file.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Nill posted:

Especially since there's the option to make torrents public access. Can't think of a reason why it couldn't be used to track the episodes.

For some reason I thought that it didn't allow access to torrents for public users; I distinctly remember having to set up an account there before to get a torrent.

I'll probably try that next time and see how it goes.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

univbee posted:

:eng101: In case, anyone's wondering with the symbol on the "wizard's" forehead, the swastika with the opposite directionality of the Nazi symbol is prevalent in Asian countries including Japan to represent eternity and buddhism; you often see it on maps to show where a buddhist temple is, like how we'd use a cross. Of course, that doesn't make the sequence of errors leading to a white-hooded villain having it on his cap any less hilarious.
Yes, yes, Buddhist temples and all, but they don't tattoo it/wear it on their foreheads, especially not when wearing a goddamn white hood and cape getup. There's no way this swastika means eternity and Buddhism. It's likely an ignorant error; they creators may not have known how offensive it really is.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Hirayuki posted:

It's likely an ignorant error; they creators may not have known how offensive it really is.

I find it kinda funny/cute that they classify KKK wizards among the ranks of demons, golems, alien invaders and evil gods. They're just so cartoonishly evil that they become cartoons outright.

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

I'M PROGRAMMED TO LOVE THIS CHOCOLATY CAKE... MY CIRCUITS LIGHT UP FOR THAT FUDGY ICING.

Hirayuki posted:

It's likely an ignorant error; they creators may not have known how offensive it really is.

Is it really that offensive to be a vampire fighting against a klansman? :drac:

Primoman
Jan 23, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I'm watching the Punch-Out!! episode now, and I can't stop cracking a smile with all the Rocky music they keep playing.

I know, it's such an obvious homage, but god bless them for doing it anyway.

I'm surprised he's playing it in english though. They never released a Japanese version?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Hirayuki posted:

Yes, yes, Buddhist temples and all, but they don't tattoo it/wear it on their foreheads, especially not when wearing a goddamn white hood and cape getup. There's no way this swastika means eternity and Buddhism. It's likely an ignorant error; they creators may not have known how offensive it really is.

I think they just knew the KKK were bad guys in the US and based it on that, purposefully inverting the swastika to censor it a little bit. It seems wildly out of place in a cutesy game like Kid Dracula, but I don't see how it's worse than fighting Mecha Hitler in Castle Wolfenstein or whatever. The KKK are bad guys, you fight this bad guy. Unless he joins your party or something, I haven't watched the video or played the game, I don't quite get the problem.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Dominic White posted:

I find it kinda funny/cute that they classify KKK wizards among the ranks of demons, golems, alien invaders and evil gods. They're just so cartoonishly evil that they become cartoons outright.
Maybe they have keener insight into the KKK than we thought!

I can't wait 'til I have the time to stream this bad boy onto my TV. My son still asks about the time "Arino kept bumping into everything" (Quest of Ki).

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

I'M PROGRAMMED TO LOVE THIS CHOCOLATY CAKE... MY CIRCUITS LIGHT UP FOR THAT FUDGY ICING.

Lurdiak posted:

Unless he joins your party or something, I haven't watched the video or played the game, I don't quite get the problem.

Haha, oh god, that would be so horrible if he joined your team a la Castlevania 3..

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

techknight posted:

Is it really that offensive to be a vampire fighting against a klansman? :drac:

I'd rather fight against vampire klansmen.

Tempura Wizard
Sep 15, 2006

spending all
spending
spending all my time

Primoman posted:

I'm surprised he's playing it in english though. They never released a Japanese version?
The Japanese versions released (I have a copy of "Mike Tyson's" for famicom) all just used English for their segments. The version I have comes with a little "dictionary" manual which has translations into Japanese of the English banter. It's weird.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
I just watched the Golgo 13 episode.

"... Hitler." What!?

Dog Toggle Switch
May 16, 2006

I think this is the first episode that I can recall there being zero AD appearances.
This would have been the Tsuruoka season right?

Primoman
Jan 23, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Champignon posted:

The Japanese versions released (I have a copy of "Mike Tyson's" for famicom) all just used English for their segments. The version I have comes with a little "dictionary" manual which has translations into Japanese of the English banter. It's weird.

That is weird. I thought it was a Japanese-developed game to begin with.

I guess maybe they left it as English for authenticity's sake, or they wrote it for English speakers first and couldn't be bothered to translate it back to Japanese.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

The video I'm working on now is a monster that's been requested a lot. A typical episode has about 1000 to 1200 script lines going in. This one started with over 2200. It also features a lot of people talking over each other.

Recycle Bin
Feb 7, 2001

I'd rather be a pig than a fascist

Dog Toggle Switch posted:

I think this is the first episode that I can recall there being zero AD appearances.
This would have been the Tsuruoka season right?

I kept waiting for someone to come over and yell "YOU HAVE OTHER POWERS, rear end! USE THEM!" but, you know, in that polite AD way.

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

Primoman posted:

That is weird. I thought it was a Japanese-developed game to begin with.

I guess maybe they left it as English for authenticity's sake, or they wrote it for English speakers first and couldn't be bothered to translate it back to Japanese.

Maybe the audience for boxing games isn't very big in Japan. The third arcade game (Arm Wrestling) was north america-only, and the snes game came out in Japan four years late - and not even on a normal cartridge release.

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~
Oh man the singing during Stations of the Tokaido. :neckbeard:

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010

Random Stranger posted:

The video I'm working on now is a monster that's been requested a lot. A typical episode has about 1000 to 1200 script lines going in. This one started with over 2200. It also features a lot of people talking over each other.

Mystery/Adventure game or 2-parter...? :f5:

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.

univbee posted:

The way that particular symbol is facing actually makes it a regular swastika, so in this case it's the Hindu symbol. It would be the manji that you're referring to (卍) if it were facing the other way, like that one I posted.

Of course either way the orientation doesn't even matter because in both Hindu and Buddhist culture either direction is a common sight on temples, in books, on old garments, etc. I just thought I would mention this because a lot of people seem to think that the orientation is the key thing (Though speaking of orientation I think if it was tilted like the Nazi swastika that'd be pretty damning).

Primoman
Jan 23, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Anyone know the name of the song playing in the Punch-Out!! episode when Emoto assited Arino?

I also really hope he comes back to this game some day.

He can't just stop at Popinski. We need to see him suffer through Tyson/Mr Dream.

Haruharuharuko
Mar 24, 2008

Yeah I lied; so what is the truth?

Well thanks to GCCX I can't not sing during the Dragon Quest rest at the inn music.
Also thanks for the new episode your work is greatly appreciated as always.

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

Primoman posted:

Anyone know the name of the song playing in the Punch-Out!! episode when Emoto assited Arino?

I also really hope he comes back to this game some day.

He can't just stop at Popinski. We need to see him suffer through Tyson/Mr Dream.

If I remember right, it was Kids Return by Joe Hisaishi.

Seith
Sep 28, 2011
I can't wait to watch the Kid Dracula episode. Thanks once again for everything that you guys do.

Neutral Zone Trap
Nov 6, 2011

It's in the garbage. Where it belongs.
Been watching all translated episodes up to Castlevania III now, these are really good! Thanks for doing this.

If someone cares for these I recognized some of the short song clips on the Tamage section of the first Super Mario 64 episode (27). At the beginning there was Domo Arigato Mr. Roboto followed by Starmine and finally Witch Doctor twice. There's still some guitar riff near the end but not sure where that's from.

There've been many familiar songs on the way but those Bemani clips really made my day.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
During the tamage section of the Takeshi's Castle episode, at around 9:58, they played a few seconds of the opening theme song of Koutetsu Jeeg. So maybe I am a bit too much of an old school super robot fan.

JeSo
Jul 14, 2004

Retro Game Master USA Facebook page posted:

dear fans, there are many mountains that I have to conquer, but I am working on it with your US producers, please be a bit patient!! I am trying to reach you guys there!!!

I'm not sure if "your US producers" means Kotak, but hopefully conquering mountains means a better quality US release.

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl

JeSo posted:

I'm not sure if "your US producers" means Kotak, but hopefully conquering mountains means a better quality US release.

Nah, I think he's coming to America to score with fat chicks.

Nerdlord Actual
Apr 14, 2007

Awaken to your true self with Wisconsin Potatoes
Grimey Drawer

redmercer posted:

Nah, I think he's coming to America to score with fat chicks.

Yes! Finally a letter from a high school girl!

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

I love Leinster and I couldn't be happier that Jordie Barrett has signed with them on a short term deal.

Neutral Zone Trap posted:

There've been many familiar songs on the way but those Bemani clips really made my day.

It was Ageha, not Starmine :japan:

Robodemon
Sep 14, 2008
Was there ever a DDL for Golgo? I never downloaded that ep, and the torrent has been stuck at 0% for a couple days now.

Never mind, figures, as soon as I post this I get some seeds.

Robodemon fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Feb 7, 2012

Lock
Aug 8, 2007

hardcore sound gets you hypah

Tyma posted:

It was Ageha, not Starmine :japan:
GameCenter CX + Ryu☆ song = the height of human achievement. It's all downhill from here, but it was fun sharing it with all of you.

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

How much do you want it? ;-*
Can anyone identify the post-challenge gift presentation song at the end of Kid Dracula? Handy youtube link. I've been trying to find it by Googling the lyrics to no avail.

AfroGunsou
Dec 8, 2009

:yeah:

zari-gani posted:

Can anyone identify the post-challenge gift presentation song at the end of Kid Dracula? Handy youtube link. I've been trying to find it by Googling the lyrics to no avail.

Sounds like a remix of this song.

QwertySanchez
Jun 19, 2009

a wacky guy
Clea - Lucky Like that

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SwQfbLotXUI

edit: beaten dammit.

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006
Ő_~ ANIME BABE LOVER 2000 ~_Ő
One of the guys over at Retroware TV (which has some pretty good retro gaming web shows) wrote an article about GCCX and even included a link to this thread for people who want to download the translated episodes. The article mostly talks about what the show is about and mentions that it's being translated (he also recommends watching the fan translations instead of the Kotaku ones), but it's pretty cool to see the show getting a little more coverage as well as SAGCCX getting some credit. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Obeast posted:

One of the guys over at Retroware TV (which has some pretty good retro gaming web shows) wrote an article about GCCX and even included a link to this thread for people who want to download the translated episodes.

They're obviously big fans of the show and have been for awhile. Just watch the intro to this video.