Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Foyes36
Oct 23, 2005

Food fight!

Sheldrake posted:

I gave my little sister my Criterion of Ran for Christmas, since she loves Japan. She did not give a crap. :(

Wow, that's a nice gift too. Even used copies go for like $50.

I've still got my fingers crossed for a Tokyo Olympiad release. Stop being out of print!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pigeon Shamus
Apr 14, 2010

There's a guard with a pair of swollen testicles who swears you wanted out of here.

Sheldrake posted:

I gave my little sister my Criterion of Ran for Christmas, since she loves Japan. She did not give a crap. :(

Ran is amazing, what is wrong with your sister.

I, too, gave my sister a Criterion for Christmas - Guillermo Del Toro's Cronos. She loves Pan's Labyrinth and horror films generally so I thought it would be a good investment. I was not wrong, she reportedly loved it. :haw:

Left Hand
Apr 5, 2011
To be fair, there is nothing particularly "kawaii" about a crazed Tatsuya Nakadai wandering a windswept hillside after reaping the wages of his arrogance.

STEVIE B 4EVA
Nov 13, 2005

girl in the slayer jacket            i am searching for you
Yeah, how could your sister possibly not be interested in devoting three hours to a ponderous all-dude King Lear adaptation?

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

I live. I die. I live again.
I put off Ran on DVD once they announced the Blu-Ray release that didn't happen :sigh:

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
Say what you will about how much it represents the movie, but Godzilla has some nice packaging:

http://www.criterion.com/current/posts/2132-godzilla-packaging

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Dangerous Person posted:

Say what you will about how much it represents the movie, but Godzilla has some nice packaging:

http://www.criterion.com/current/posts/2132-godzilla-packaging
Hahaha. Is this the first time Criterion has packaged a film in a pop-up book?

If so, they totally missed the boat on not doing it with In the Realm of the Senses (1976) first.

barkingclam
Jun 20, 2007

leokitty posted:

I put off Ran on DVD once they announced the Blu-Ray release that didn't happen :sigh:

There is a Ran blu, just not by Criterion.

I enjoyed the movie, but honestly my favorite part of the set was the Chris Marker movie on the second disc, I wish there was more making-of movies in that vein.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
Ashamed to say I picked up Godzilla but haven't watched it yet. The packaging does look very nice.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
A new hint for May.

http://ow.ly/i/rw11

Anybody have any ideas of what it could be?

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

It's Summer With Monika (which I'm of course thrilled for, but we already knew it was in the works).

Punch Drunk Drewsky
Jul 22, 2008

No one can stop the movies.

FitFortDanga posted:

It's Summer With Monika (which I'm of course thrilled for, but we already knew it was in the works).

Being the resident Bergman expert, what are your thoughts on Summer With Monika? I've never been disappointed with a Bergman blind-buy, but I'd like to know what you think.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

I know you weren't asking me, but Summer With Monika is great. Maybe not Wild Strawberries/ Fanny and Alexander great, but certainly Sawdust and Tinsel level great.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Yeah pretty much what PA said. The best stuff is in the third act.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film/dvdcompare/anatomy.htm

Yes, the whole thing about Anatomy of a Murder being intended for 4x3 is complete bullshit.

STEVIE B 4EVA
Nov 13, 2005

girl in the slayer jacket            i am searching for you

Punch Drunk Drewsky posted:

Being the resident Bergman expert, what are your thoughts on Summer With Monika? I've never been disappointed with a Bergman blind-buy, but I'd like to know what you think.

It's the only early Bergman I've seen so I can't speak to it in that context, but as I recall it's pretty preachy (although a bit satirical), but no less artful for it. I wouldn't buy it, but I only own one Bergman DVD (The Seventh Seal, unsurprisingly). It's definitely worth at least a rental.

Fun fact: Monika (in an edited form) grossed more theatrically in the United States than any other Bergman film would, largely because Joseph Levine distributed it and his advertising campaign amounted to "Swedish sex! It's got boobs!" You gotta love Joe Levine.

(Bonus fact: Roger Corman got Cries & Whispers to play drive-ins! Bergman has probably had more chances than any other European "art-film" director to connect with the American public at large.)

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Egbert Souse posted:

Yes, the whole thing about Anatomy of a Murder being intended for 4x3 is complete bullshit.

What is this guy's deal? He gets furious based on specs printed on some old packaging without actually doing any research.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
THE DOG IS EVERYTHING.

One question I do have after watching Godzilla (which was otherwise spotless)- for all that Criterion does right, why do they insist on using the easily-obscured subtitles? Clearly they've done enough foreign films that this became a choice.

Jack Does Jihad
Jun 18, 2003

Yeah, this is just right. Has a nice feel, too.

Maxwell Lord posted:

THE DOG IS EVERYTHING.

One question I do have after watching Godzilla (which was otherwise spotless)- for all that Criterion does right, why do they insist on using the easily-obscured subtitles? Clearly they've done enough foreign films that this became a choice.

This is one reason why I haven't bought the new Godzilla blu-ray. Basically any Criterion blu-ray, especially black and white ones, have such lovely subtitles that, to me, they're basically not worth buying. What's the point of it looking good if I can't read the drat thing?

I've sent them an e-mail and posted on their Facebook page about it, but I don't think they'll ever do anything about it unless everyone on facebook complains about it, but people on there are too busy saying poo poo like "guess what I just bought" and "what blu-ray should i blind buy next."

It's such a simple fix but they clearly don't give a poo poo. It's just a rage point for me because I can't remember having problems with any of the DVD subtitles, and it really seems like legible subtitles would be a priority.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
The only time I've had an issue with Criterion's blu-ray subtitles was on High & Low during the first half because everyone's white shirts are so blown-out that they consume the text. The inconsideration towards the deaf and hard-of-hearing, however, is just plain awful. It's pretty much the only time I've ever wanted to just say "gently caress you" to Criterion.

fix yr hearts
Feb 9, 2011

things you cannot touch:
my heart
I hate their blu subtitles and don't understand why they won't add just a pixel or two or black border around the letters.

Punch Drunk Drewsky
Jul 22, 2008

No one can stop the movies.
Thanks for the thoughts (and Stevie for that fun fact!) The only Bergman I even halfway regret blind-buying was one film in the Early Bergman Eclipse series, and even then that's counterbalanced by having four other good one's.

Looking forward to seeing it pop in my mailbox.

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Like a fist wrapped in blood...

Egbert Souse posted:

The funny part is that he refuses to back down. It doesn't matter that the Criterion version is true to the director's intentions and is the way it was originally shown in theatres, they are still butchers for not leaving it the way he saw it on afternoon television in the 70s. Kind of shocking that his blog is apparently popular, because he sounds like a complete rear end all around.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
It always impresses me how some people aren't content to just occasionally act like an rear end, but rather, run blindly head-first into a pile of manure and make sure that the world understands completely that they are total asses.

His postings on the subject are completely irrational and illogical. He fails to make a single point. Instead, he just talks about headroom and all that jazz, but yet never actually speaking about the compositional aspects of the shots.

Edit: My favorite is his posting on The Cain Mutiny, in which his comparison shot ISN'T EVEN THE SAME PHOTOGRAPH. Of course, that ignores the fact that notes exist on the proper framing of the Cain Mutiny, and none of them support the full-frame analysis.

Cemetry Gator fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Feb 5, 2012

frumpsnake
Jan 30, 2001

The sad part is, he wasn't always evil.

morestuff posted:

What is this guy's deal? He gets furious based on specs printed on some old packaging without actually doing any research.

The funniest part is that after releasing it at 1.33:1 in the US, Columbia went ahead released it in 1.85:1 in Europe/UK/Australia. And in both cases the packaging says it's the original aspect ratio.

...but Leon Vitali is still the biggest rear end in a top hat when it comes to playing Aspect Ratio Police:

quote:

Glenn Kenny: "Well, there’s already controversy brewing because the Barry Lyndon Blu-ray is 1.78 and there’s some feeling that it should have been 1.66..."

Leon Vitali: "Well I can tell you what now, okay; never was it ever 1.66, it wasn’t shot in 1.66, we never released it in 1.66 in any format whether it’s film or television or DVD. It was 1.77. It was shot it…I mean , the difference between 1.77 and 1.78 is miniscule, you couldn’t see it with a magnifying glass. And anyone who thought it was meant to be in 1.66 is sadly delusioned. Seeing as I was there, at every stage of it; shooting and everything, I should know. I should know."

Glenn Kenny: "Well, that’s about as definitive an answer as we’re likely to get; so where does it come from, then? Where’s the 1.66 idea come from…?"

Leon Vitali: "It comes from people who think they know and weren’t there and have something to say about Stanley all the time. You know, when I first went to Los Angeles, I could go to a party, and somebody’s voice would go up saying, ‘Oh, yes, that’s Stanley,’ and ‘Oh, Eyes Wide Shut,’ and I thought ‘Do they know Stanley, is this common that people at parties talk about him in a loud voice?” But it wasn’t that, it was because they knew…I was there. And you get those idiots…truly, who think they know. [adopts orotund voice] ‘Stanley was a very philosophical guy.’ I say: bullshit."

frumpsnake fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Feb 5, 2012

aga.
Sep 1, 2008

Surely Vittorio Storaro is the worst. Insisting films he shot in 2.35:1 are released in his proposed 2:1 format that is never going to happen. At least the Apocalypse Now Blu-ray finally put it back to it's original aspect ratio.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

aga. posted:

Surely Vittorio Storaro is the worst. Insisting films he shot in 2.35:1 are released in his proposed 2:1 format that is never going to happen. At least the Apocalypse Now Blu-ray finally put it back to it's original aspect ratio.
Definitely. Someone who knowingly champions the wrong aspect ratio and forces films to be released that way is much worse than critics whining about films that were probably shot with both ratios in mind.

That Barry Lyndon one is really sad because Leon Vitali obviously cares what Kubrick thought, he's just wrong.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
With Vitale, I could accept it as someone just misremembering information, and taking his account to be correct, since he was there. It happened to me after a handful of promotions and a few transfers. I ran into my old boss, and she was convinced that I worked for her at my previous job level, when I told her that she actually hired me, and that it was just an entry level job. She was confused, but decided that I must know my own career pretty well.

Needless to say, I was shattered, and as soon as I got home, spent the evening drinking whiskey from the bottle while in a hot shower, crying loudly, asking "why?!"

In the morning, I was pruney.

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007
Does anyone know when the next Barnes and Noble sale is? I can't remember if it's every six months or just a november thing.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

Ego-bot posted:

Does anyone know when the next Barnes and Noble sale is? I can't remember if it's every six months or just a november thing.

It's definitely more than once a year, I want to say the next one should be April/May.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Daveski posted:

It's definitely more than once a year, I want to say the next one should be April/May.

July, I think.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

frumpsnake posted:

Man, I love projectionist memos. The part about the music is really nifty, I'd love to attend a screening that follows this to the letter. Anyone have any other interesting ones?

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

Aorist
Apr 25, 2006

Denham's does it!
I love how even the type is tailored to each: Kubrick with Futura, of course, and Lynch in all caps. It just makes sense that his would be in all caps, with his enunciation.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
I couldn't help but read it in his voice.

Shadley Puffin
Aug 13, 2011

DOWN WITH GRAVITY
Or even better as Gordon Cole.

YOU ARE WITNESSING A FRONT THREE-QUARTER VIEW OF TWO ADULTS SHARING A TENDER MOMENT. PLUS MY FILM NEEDS A SLIGHT REFRAMING

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Pixar has the best projectionist memos: they send trading cards, of which only like three have actual instructions on the back.

Luckily they send all the cards so you're not driving around the tri-county area looking for your particular setup's checklist.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Shadley Puffin posted:

Or even better as Gordon Cole.

YOU ARE WITNESSING A FRONT THREE-QUARTER VIEW OF TWO ADULTS SHARING A TENDER MOMENT. PLUS MY FILM NEEDS A SLIGHT REFRAMING

I was thinking the exact same thing.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
I just signed up for Hulu Plus. So this is what Bubbles feels like when he scores a huge stash.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
Denial isn't just a river in Egypt, huh? Nah, get fucked mate.

The Cameo posted:

Pixar has the best projectionist memos: they send trading cards, of which only like three have actual instructions on the back.

Luckily they send all the cards so you're not driving around the tri-county area looking for your particular setup's checklist.

I think it's funny that last year the two directors to send memos on how to run showings of their films were Terrance Malick... and Michael Bay.

Malick wanted the screen brightness turned up ever so slightly and the sound turned up louder than normal, while Bay wanted the screen brightness at maximum so that the 3D wouldn't look lovely and dark.

Pigeon Shamus posted:

I, too, gave my sister a Criterion for Christmas - Guillermo Del Toro's Cronos. She loves Pan's Labyrinth and horror films generally so I thought it would be a good investment. I was not wrong, she reportedly loved it. :haw:

Gave my cousin, a budding film nut, "Carlos" and "Chungking Express". He hadn't heard of either of them and thought they were awesome.