Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

paradigmm
May 28, 2002

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Sentinel82 posted:

I'm looking to replace my desk and from what I've seen from everyone, the Galant is the way to go. Here's what I'm looking at so far:

Corner desk left - http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/S19836967/
Adding an extension right - http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/S39843759/
I'm also looking at adding the shelf, cable management, and the computer holder.

I've got a couple of questions for those with more Galant experience than myself. First off, will that extension work on that desk? Based on the measurements listed on the site, they don't match. But, is the depth measurement for the desk the total depth, including the section on the left? Is the right side of the desk actually 31.5" deep (same size as the extension), or 47.25"

Also, are the cable management and computer holder extras worth a drat? They're only about $23 for both, so I'm curious if they're decent at all.

Honestly, go to Ikea and get them to help you figure out how to arrange the Galant extensions. They have a computer station you can use to mix and match the pieces, it's like a little designer program. For the corner desks, one side is deeper than the other, and they have one extension that can be rotated to fit either side. Then they have I think 2 different end pieces which are rounded, or half round (1 corner), but they only fit on one side or the other because of the different depths.

The cable/computer holders are pretty good. They also make a filing cabinet which fits under the desk and matches perfect. I posted my setup many pages back, and have the Galant corner, 3 extensions, computer holder, cable holders, and the filing cabinet. It's all very strong and has held together fine for the couple years I've owned it.

paradigmm fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Jan 24, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Comradephate posted:

I see Kayako. Bummer.

Yes, it is awful, especially the latest version. Fortunately I don't have to use it very often, but it is useful because the higher up screens are hooked up to a monitoring system using the API that lets us see how much work the support people are doing.

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005
This burrito is delicious, but it is filling.

Anjow posted:

I bought a blackwidow ultimate for work the other day too!

Anjow posted:

Yes, it is awful, especially the latest version. Fortunately I don't have to use it very often, but it is useful because the higher up screens are hooked up to a monitoring system using the API that lets us see how much work the support people are doing.

The more I see the alternatives, the less I hate the CA product I am forced to use.

Shogunner
Apr 29, 2010

Ready to crash and burn.
I never learn.
I'm on the rapetrain.
(better pictures down below)

Shogunner fucked around with this message at 09:40 on Feb 4, 2012

Fat Dallas
Mar 11, 2009

Did you get the memo about putting cover letters on the TPS reports?

zero0ne
Jul 20, 2007
Zero to the O N E

LooKMaN posted:

That's amazing, do you have it in higher resolution?

I wish :( this was from Engadget, and it's the only one I could find.

Mierdaan
Sep 14, 2004

Pillbug
Mark Zuckerberg's desk:

Worth billions, still living like poo poo.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
17 to be exact. 17 of the billions.

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

Huge motivation sign on his desk and he still just fucks around on Facebook. Loser.

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

This isn't particularly relevant, but I found out recently that Facebook employs 3,200 people full time.

http://sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/1326801/000119312512034517/d287954ds1.htm

I have no idea what all of those people are doing, but I can't imagine that many are really needed.

coldplay chiptunes
Sep 17, 2010

by Lowtax

Centipeed posted:

This isn't particularly relevant, but I found out recently that Facebook employs 3,200 people full time.

I have no idea what all of those people are doing, but I can't imagine that many are really needed.
That's one employee for every quarter of a million people using the site at any given time.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Centipeed posted:

I imagine most of them are QA.

Triikan
Feb 23, 2007
Most Loved
Servers don't run themselves.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
At least Zuckerberg doesn't have guns on his desk and anime wallscrolls.

taint toucher
Sep 23, 2004

necrobobsledder posted:

At least Zuckerberg doesn't have guns on his desk and anime wallscrolls.

And a jug of milk.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Anal Tributary posted:

So because my Ikea tabletop is a piece of poo poo (protip: don't screw in the Galant cable organizer into a Vika particleboard top, regardless of if the Ikea salesmen say it'll be fine), when I press down on my normally silent Mac keyboard, it wobbles a bit and is apparently loud as poo poo, which pisses off anyone in an adjacent room. While I've been considering just saying gently caress it, embracing the loudness, and getting a mechanical keyboard, in the meantime I've been doing this to quiet it:

Problem is, the notebook of course slides around like crazy. Are there any rubber keyboard mats that can go under it to both hold it in place and silence it?

Did you screw it into the particleboard frame of the Vika, or the middle area? Because that's just fiberboard.

PopeOnARope
Jul 23, 2007

Hey! Quit touching my junk!

mediaphage posted:

Did you screw it into the particleboard frame of the Vika, or the middle area? Because that's just fiberboard.

Even if you try getting it into the frame it doesn't really do poo poo. The Amon tops are nice for their size but are so loving flimsy that you're better off using a plastic table with folding legs.

(I'd know, I used to have one)

PopeOnARope fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Feb 3, 2012

Shogunner
Apr 29, 2010

Ready to crash and burn.
I never learn.
I'm on the rapetrain.
Finally got another big mic stand so I can whip out the condenser again, whoop whoop.

horchata
Oct 17, 2010
so im in the process of obtaining my own room for the first time in my 22 years of living
but the room is only about 10'x10'
i either have the option of buying a twin sized bed and a Galant or a full sized bed with a god knows what.
anyone know of any smaller-sized quality desks?

Juriko
Jan 28, 2006
Why not get the twin? I am in the same situation you are in(actually the room is even smaller) and I had a small desk with a full at first. I ended up swapping out with a Galant and a twin. I mean, of course I would have loved to have a big bed and desk, but I live in a big city and sometimes you have to compromise.

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

Juriko posted:

Why not get the twin?

Um...sex? If you're going to be sleeping with someone, a full is probably the absolute smallest that is reasonably tolerable. Who wants to cram 2 into a twin like a college kid when you're out of college.

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002

B-Nasty posted:

Um...sex? If you're going to be sleeping with someone, a full is probably the absolute smallest that is reasonably tolerable. Who wants to cram 2 into a twin like a college kid when you're out of college.

lol

but yeah i'm actually in the market for something similar for my guest bedroom that has a queen in it. i'm currently using a broken particleboard walmart pos that i had all the way through school and has been through at least 4-5 moves.

horchata
Oct 17, 2010

B-Nasty posted:

this is definitely my main concern. plus being the naive, optimistic soon-to-graduate self that I am, I hope to get a job right after college and find my own place to live so I don't want to buy a twin that I'll replace after a year or so. But I also want a big rear end desk...

Juriko
Jan 28, 2006

horchata posted:

this is definitely my main concern. plus being the naive, optimistic soon-to-graduate self that I am, I hope to get a job right after college and find my own place to live so I don't want to buy a twin that I'll replace after a year or so. But I also want a big rear end desk...

Are you sure you cant fit a Galant and a full? I had both in a 9x10 room. My problem was just that there was no way to have them both without blocking the closet due to poor room design.

B-Nasty posted:

Hah, it's never been a problem or bother for me. I wouldn't want to have two people sleeping in it every day, but at that point I also wouldn't be cramming half of what I own into a single room either.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
Perhaps consider a sofa bed? I had a 9x10 room with a bookshelf and desk in it that felt just fine most of the time because I had a folded up sofa bed. With a sufficiently thick mattress they work just fine.

horchata
Oct 17, 2010
I decided to go ahead and mark up where I thought I would put the desk and the bed. Not quite sure if it's going to work out...

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

horchata posted:

I decided to go ahead and mark up where I thought I would put the desk and the bed. Not quite sure if it's going to work out...

Is it wide enough to put a right corner desk with the long edge on the back wall?

Juriko
Jan 28, 2006

FISHMANPET posted:

Is it wide enough to put a right corner desk with the long edge on the back wall?

To add to this, the table top has a lot of overhang from the frame, so depending on how close you are cutting it keep in mind you can just have a few inches of the desk hang over the mattress.

horchata
Oct 17, 2010

FISHMANPET posted:

If I get a bedframe thats about 4" shorter then I can

Shogunner
Apr 29, 2010

Ready to crash and burn.
I never learn.
I'm on the rapetrain.
This thread moves depressingly slow.

Anyways,

where do i keep all this swaaaag

also because i'm stupid; open in new tab, sit back, cross eyes~

Mitsune
Jun 24, 2005
Whoa, can you post up the headphone models you have?

Shogunner
Apr 29, 2010

Ready to crash and burn.
I never learn.
I'm on the rapetrain.
look i was a child

Shogunner fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Jan 4, 2021

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

So what do you broadcast? Please tell me that's not all for some teamspeak server.

Mitsune
Jun 24, 2005
Nice collection.

I've been looking into picking up the Sennheiser 518, but those 558 look really nice in comparison. How are they in terms of comfort?

And is that a shelf for a desk?

Shogunner
Apr 29, 2010

Ready to crash and burn.
I never learn.
I'm on the rapetrain.

HKR posted:

So what do you broadcast? Please tell me that's not all for some teamspeak server.

I do radio and alot of music production.

Mitsune posted:

Nice collection.

I've been looking into picking up the Sennheiser 518, but those 558 look really nice in comparison. How are they in terms of comfort?

And is that a shelf for a desk?

Thanks.

Comfy as gently caress yo. Seriously first day I had them I wore them for 9 hours and didn't even notice.

Old cabinets, I'm moving soon, and just going to get a 6 foot folding table. :v:

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Shogunner posted:

This thread moves depressingly slow.

After the initial rush they always do; I know that my desk looks the same as when I posted it two years ago (apart from a new mouse since then!)

When I save up for a thousand dollar chair I'll repost mine and you can marvel at the extremely rare three button mouse. :) (thanks nzspambot!)

edit: almost 3 years now and unfortunately waffleimages killed the picture of my ancient white generic tower case with the Apple Sticker Making It Legal. :smith:

~Coxy fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Feb 24, 2012

Tufty
May 21, 2006

The Traffic Safety Squirrel

Shogunner posted:

Nice! Are those headphones complete with gold-plated plugs? I hear they reduce latency.

Edit: Hey woah now that was an abrasive response. Forget I said anything - don't want to cause a derail.

Tufty fucked around with this message at 10:47 on Feb 24, 2012

coldplay chiptunes
Sep 17, 2010

by Lowtax
The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Serious Hardware / Software Crap > Post your (actual) headphones!

Shogunner
Apr 29, 2010

Ready to crash and burn.
I never learn.
I'm on the rapetrain.
wow

Shogunner fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Jan 4, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

Gold-plated snake oil. That's all it is. Sorry bro.

At the professional level gold plating is not used. It's just something to sell to gullible consumers like, well, you. :v:

There is no appreciable difference in signal loss between a gold-plated connector and a standard nickel connector. The only benefit it confers is a slight additional protection against corrosion until the gold plating inevitably gets scratched off.

corgski fucked around with this message at 10:59 on Feb 24, 2012