Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Wili posted:

I see it coming into play at the very endgame. Team Evil has been defeated at Kragoor's Gate, Redcloack has been killed by a not so controlled Xykon, and the OotS pursue the lich into his last stronghold.

Lots of things happened on this strip. Redcloack is showing some smarts and guts by turning the conversation on Xykon so the he is the one that ends having to explain himself. And what of Jiryx? Is perfectly reasonable that he'll want to kill a demon roach, but could it be indication that he is actually evil? Or at least, evil in a way that Redcloack wouldn't aprove of? I suspect that his respect toward his "Supreme Leader" was only an act until they finally left.

I think stamping on the roach is nothing more than a joke about "And now I can finally get rid of this annoying little peanut gallery".

Alchenar posted:

We'll never see that stronghold again. It's a plot device that exists solely to wrap up Redcloak's deception over where the Phylactery actually is.

That and to poke fun at how OP casters are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I have the best taste in this whole damn place

Wili posted:

Lots of things happened on this strip. Redcloack is showing some smarts and guts by turning the conversation on Xykon so the he is the one that ends having to explain himself. And what of Jiryx? Is perfectly reasonable that he'll want to kill a demon roach, but could it be indication that he is actually evil? Or at least, evil in a way that Redcloack wouldn't aprove of? I suspect that his respect toward his "Supreme Leader" was only an act until they finally left.

I more see it as an indicator that Jirix has no loyalty or love for Xykon and his crowd, and that he (and Redcloak) sees this as the Goblins finally being free to do their own thing for a while in their own city.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Noia posted:

I more see it as an indicator that Jirix has no loyalty or love for Xykon and his crowd, and that he (and Redcloak) sees this as the Goblins finally being free to do their own thing for a while in their own city.

This is precisely the impression I got.

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

im worried that theyre setting her up to be jotaros future wife or something.

Cabbit posted:

This is precisely the impression I got.

I'm still not 100% sure that Jirix isn't going to try to make a power play at one point. Hobgoblins and Goblins don't like each other and Redcloak has ordered the deaths of hundreds of them. Redcloak might by Jirix's Xykon.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Captain Oblivious posted:

I think stamping on the roach is nothing more than a joke about "And now I can finally get rid of this annoying little peanut gallery".

There's a Family Guy scene where the Barbershop Quartet appear and half a second in to a song Stewie shoots them all, turns to the screen and says 'There. They're not coming back."

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Soylentbits posted:

I'm still not 100% sure that Jirix isn't going to try to make a power play at one point. Hobgoblins and Goblins don't like each other and Redcloak has ordered the deaths of hundreds of them. Redcloak might by Jirix's Xykon.
Of all the goblins to dislike, Redcloak seems like just about the least logical choice. He's an agent of their shared deity, he's shown his good intentions by establishing a goblin nation in the first place, and while he's very plancentric, he no longer goes out of his way to inconvenience hobgoblins. (Quite the opposite, in fact.)

Maybe he'd want a coup for the Mantle of the Dark One, but I kind of doubt it.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Alchenar posted:

There's a Family Guy scene where the Barbershop Quartet appear and half a second in to a song Stewie shoots them all, turns to the screen and says 'There. They're not coming back."

Except for all the ones that went with Redcloak and Xykon on their magical journey!

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Colon V posted:

Of all the goblins to dislike, Redcloak seems like just about the least logical choice. He's an agent of their shared deity, he's shown his good intentions by establishing a goblin nation in the first place, and while he's very plancentric, he no longer goes out of his way to inconvenience hobgoblins. (Quite the opposite, in fact.)

Also he's planning on unmaking reality and killing everybody. He's a suicide bomber writ large.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Colon V posted:

Jirix has also met The Dark One so he literally knows that the God of his species has A Plan that Redcloak is supposed to carry out.

There is no logical reason why he'd ever turn on Redcloak.

Also it looks like Rich has dropped the whole 'Goblins hate Hobgoblins' thing which was only really referred to right as the story was starting to expand from a basic 'DnD party on a dungeon crawl'.

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Lander county's safe as heaven,
despite all the strife and boilin',
Tin Star,
Oh how she's an icon of the eastern west,
But now the time has come to end our song,
of the Tin Star, the Tin Star!
He dropped that part of Redcloak's characterization. Specifically, he dropped a boulder on it.

RickoniX
Dec 4, 2005

A human or elf?

NO NOT A BADGER YOU GOON

Wili posted:

I see it coming into play at the very endgame. Team Evil has been defeated at Kragoor's Gate, Redcloack has been killed by a not so controlled Xykon, and the OotS pursue the lich into his last stronghold.

Redcloak is going to get eaten by the monster in the dark, it's too big of a Chekhov's gun at this point

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

RickoniX posted:

Redcloak is going to get eaten by the monster in the dark, it's too big of a Chekhov's gun at this point
With luck, it will either happen very near, or AS the MitD's Heel Face Turn thanks to Mr. Stiffly O-Chul's influence.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Pope Guilty posted:

Also he's planning on unmaking reality and killing everybody. He's a suicide bomber writ large.
No he's not, that's Plan B. Plan A is "The Dark One gets some negotiating clout and uses it to get a level playing field for the goblin race", Plan B is "we fail, the Snarl destroys reality, and this time The Dark One has a hand in creation, so the goblin race gets a level playing field from the start".

RickoniX
Dec 4, 2005

A human or elf?

NO NOT A BADGER YOU GOON

Colon V posted:

With luck, it will either happen very near, or AS the MitD's Heel Face Turn thanks to Mr. Stiffly O-Chul's influence.

sod spoilers

Xykon put a magical suggestion on the monster in the dark to eat Redcloak and spit out his amulet if Redcloak ever turned on him

Yeah Man
Oct 9, 2011

And if you had, you know, a huge killer robot at your command, yeah, that would just clutter things up; and a lesser person might want that kind of overwhelming force on their side, but you know - where's the challenge in that?

RickoniX posted:

sod spoilers

Xykon put a magical suggestion on the monster in the dark to eat Redcloak and spit out his amulet if Redcloak ever turned on him

Wait, what? I don't remember that part.

Iny
Jan 11, 2012

Yeah Man posted:

It's in Start of Darkness.

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010

Noia posted:

Am I the only one who thinks he did it "Because it's a cockroach."

The Rooster
Jul 25, 2004

If you've got white people problems I feel bad for you son
I've got 99 problems but being socially privileged ain't one

RickoniX posted:

sod spoilers

Remind me on how Charm Monster works. Wouldn't this depend on the MiTD knowing that Redcloak betrays Xykon, which seems unreliable?

Also, 100% sure that MiTD spent some of his infancy in the Astral plane, just because.

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!

Yeah Man posted:

I had to go look it up myself. Page 96.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Something to think about here is the fact that traditionally, hobgoblins intimidate and enslave regular goblins. Jirix's heel turn just now could be about him deciding to "return to the natural order."

In other words, we might be about to see Gobbotopia get renamed Hobgobbotopia, with the goblins as Helots to the hobgoblin Spartans.

Amused Frog
Sep 8, 2006
Waah no fair my thread!

Adder Moray posted:

Nope.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
What if its worse than that and he's lawful good. We've never seen jirix do anything evil, have we?

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
All Goblins are evil in 3.5, right? Either way I doubt Jirix is Good, though he's probably Lawful.

Adder Moray posted:

I'd be more inclined to believe this if his expression had been an indifferent one, rather than an angry one.

Coach Sport
Jul 3, 2003
And we care about this shitty poster...why?
Well, the roaches are all huge fans of Xykon, and Jirix probably doesn't like Xykon very much since he has a tendency to indiscriminately murder people around him on a whim and was just strangling him a few moments earlier. So, now that Xykon's left the city, Jirix is free to squash all of Xykon's toadies and actually be in charge of things instead of just being a figurehead in incredible danger of being murdered.

Also, what's the deal with the roaches, anyways? Are they just tagging along because they're big fans of evil, or are they some kind of evil familiars somebody summoned?

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Coach Sport posted:

Also, what's the deal with the roaches, anyways? Are they just tagging along because they're big fans of evil, or are they some kind of evil familiars somebody summoned?

It's from Start of Darkness: In SoD, Team Evil's first HQ was an evil diner run by a succubus. Her cook used demonic spices through a Gate spell, and the Demon Cockroaches followed the smell of the cooking through the Gate. After Xykon destroys the place, the Roaches just start following him and Redcloak around for lack of anywhere better to go.

sansuki
May 17, 2003

Adder Moray posted:

Jirex also stepped on it when it looked at him and reminded him that the city was a "distraction".

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

Noia posted:

I'd be more inclined to believe this if his expression had been an indifferent one, rather than an angry one.

Spoken like someone who's never experienced an infestation. Anger is a perfectly natural emotion when stomping a cockroach just because it's a cockroach.

edit: V I agree V

DontMockMySmock fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Feb 7, 2012

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

I cannot believe people are taking the roach killing as anything more meaningful then a last panel gag.

Jefepato
Mar 11, 2009

This?! This is a glorious dance! That has been passed down! In my family for generations!

Cliff Racer posted:

All Goblins are evil in 3.5, right? Either way I doubt Jirix is Good, though he's probably Lawful.

Goblins are "Usually neutral evil," meaning a majority of them are. Hobgoblins, though, are usually lawful evil. They do not have to stick to these alignments.

We don't really know if that's the case in the OotS-verse. Especially since I definitely don't trust the Dark One's claims about their origins. I'm sure Burlew would buck the Monster Manual on this if it fit the story he wanted.

DontMockMySmock posted:

Spoken like someone who's never experienced an infestation. Anger is a perfectly natural emotion when stomping a cockroach just because it's a cockroach.

Haha, fair point :P

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

Noia posted:

:P

Please don't do that.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Jefepato posted:

Goblins are "Usually neutral evil," meaning a majority of them are. Hobgoblins, though, are usually lawful evil. They do not have to stick to these alignments.

We don't really know if that's the case in the OotS-verse. Especially since I definitely don't trust the Dark One's claims about their origins. I'm sure Burlew would buck the Monster Manual on this if it fit the story he wanted.

We already have Goblins and Hobgoblins pretty different from straight Monster Manual ones. Redcloak would be ancient or dead of old age and Belkar's size, for instance, if we were using generic Goblins.

RickoniX
Dec 4, 2005

A human or elf?

NO NOT A BADGER YOU GOON

Zore posted:

We already have Goblins and Hobgoblins pretty different from straight Monster Manual ones. Redcloak would be ancient or dead of old age and Belkar's size, for instance, if we were using generic Goblins.

His cloak gives him a super long lifespan, his brother was an old man at the end of start of darkness

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
I dunno when exactly it happened, but the kickstarter broke $500k.

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

im worried that theyre setting her up to be jotaros future wife or something.
I'm hoping for a deck of cards with his next mystery prize. Or that he'll just put some board games up with his kickstarter prizes.

The Werle
Aug 8, 2005

Fireworks for Christmas is absolutely American

CapnAndy posted:

I dunno when exactly it happened, but the kickstarter broke $500k.

I checked it around 7PM tonight and it was at 498k, so definitely tonight.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...
I'm only following this on a tertiary level but what's the purpose of this kickstarter? To get his books back in print and offer the fans a little something-something?

Ponsonby Britt
Mar 13, 2006
I think you mean, why is there silverware in the pancake drawer? Wassup?

Noia posted:

More than a while, even - Redcloak says he'll contact Jirix "when we've established control of Girard's Gate", which is never. Either the Dark One will control it, or the world will unravel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006
Not supposed to be here today

Nilbop posted:

I'm only following this on a tertiary level but what's the purpose of this kickstarter? To get his books back in print and offer the fans a little something-something?

Exactly that. The original purpose was to get War and XPs back in print, fueled by donations that are basically preorders. It's gone a bit beyond that now.