Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

szlevi
Sep 10, 2010

[[ POKE 65535,0 ]]

Martytoof posted:

Did you perhaps mean to ask your question in here?

Oh sure, thanks (don't know how did I miss that.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Bitch Stewie posted:

Quiesced? The SAN vendor makes one, but it only works if the DB/log volumes are hosted directly on the SAN, it won't work if they are VMDKs.

Tbh, crash consistent VM backups would be just fine in the scenario this box is there to aid in, my main concern is how prone VMFS is to screwing up if you just snapshot it and then try and mount it.

As long as you aren't using extents you should be fine. If you have a single vmfs filesystem spanning multiple luns and you can't put the luns in a consistency group for the snapshot then you could have issues.

EnergizerFellow
Oct 11, 2005

More drunk than a barrel of monkeys

what is this posted:

The fact that in this day and age MBR is still commonplace, and required for Win7 boot on most computers, does not give me great confidence.

Yes, partition table isn't file system, and the EFI/BIOS thing is closely wrapped up with MBR/GPT, but seriously guys? You couldn't figure something out?

Apple switched cleanly from OpenFirmware to EFI without most people noticing any change...
If it's any consolation, UEFI is now virtually everywhere as of the 32mn Intel chips (Sandy Bridge, Westmere). Windows itself has supported EFI booting of GPT partitions on x64 since Vista SP1, aka Server 2008. VMware guest containers are EFI as of 5.0 as well.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

OpenFiler, FreeNAS, Nexenta, OI + napp-it. Am I missing any other "free" SAN implementations that I could be trying out?

Bitch Stewie
Dec 17, 2011

NippleFloss posted:

As long as you aren't using extents you should be fine. If you have a single vmfs filesystem spanning multiple luns and you can't put the luns in a consistency group for the snapshot then you could have issues.

Oh gently caress that sounds nasty!!

Bitch Stewie
Dec 17, 2011

Martytoof posted:

OpenFiler, FreeNAS, Nexenta, OI + napp-it. Am I missing any other "free" SAN implementations that I could be trying out?

OpenDedup perhaps - new but looks very interesting.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

ozmunkeh posted:

What's the deal with Equallogic? I seem to remember looking into their kit a couple years ago and there was some issue with the controllers not being active/active, or something to do with how they failed over. What are the EQL gotchas I should be looking at? They're probably going to push us towards Compellent, which is fine by me, but I don't sign the checks so that may not happen.

Had another VAR pushing NexSAN quite heavily. Anyone have experience with them?

Equallogic controllers are, as mentioned, active/passive, but the switchover is usually instant, so the clients shouldn't see anything amiss.

The other major issue people don't get is how storage grows with Equallogic. The setup is a storage grid, with additional boxes adding both capacity and performance, with LUNS spanning across multiple units to improve performance, but if a unit goes down completely, all the LUNS that cross that unit become unavailable. There is no network raid or similar redundancy. You can partition up your groups, and set rules for how luns span across units, but the risk is always there.

The nice thing about EqL is that every feature is available at one price. There are no extra licenses, either a feature is included, or it doesn't exist for the platform. If a new feature is added, it's available for pretty well every EqL unit made, as the firmware is shared across all units.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

EoRaptor posted:

The other major issue people don't get is how storage grows with Equallogic. The setup is a storage grid, with additional boxes adding both capacity and performance, with LUNS spanning across multiple units to improve performance, but if a unit goes down completely, all the LUNS that cross that unit become unavailable.
That would be like a pair of controllers going down on a traditional SAN, though.
Have you ever seen it happen?

Muslim Wookie
Jul 6, 2005

Internet Explorer posted:

Yes, sorry. Having a bit of a brain fart. I could have sworn there was a way to do it with a VMDK. I think VMFS is pretty resilient. I have used snapshots for test labs a lot and never ran into any problems, even Exchange or SQL.

NetApp SnapManager supports backups of VMDKs on NFS datastores. I guess maybe other vendors have something similar?

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

marketingman posted:

NetApp SnapManager supports backups of VMDKs on NFS datastores. I guess maybe other vendors have something similar?
Even if they don't it's pretty trivial to script out yourself. All snapmanager for VMware does is do a VMware snapshot of all the VMs, snapshot the volume containing the datastore, and then delete the VMware snapshots. It just wraps it up with a pretty bow to make it really easy to backup and restore from.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

evil_bunnY posted:

That would be like a pair of controllers going down on a traditional SAN, though.
Once. IBM DS4800 storage arrays are serviced from the back of the rack, so we had to drag one of the controllers between the two rack PDUs when we were replacing it. This meant I needed two people holding up the PDUs outside of the rack to make the controller actually fit out the back (the controller was about 1/4" too wide to make it past the receptacles), and you can guess what happened next.

On the bright side, we discovered that if you unplug an IBM SAN and plug it directly back in, there's no loss of I/O because the entire operating state of the unit is battery-backed.

Also, we no longer buy storage heads serviced from the back of the rack.

On an unrelated note, we have lost entire shelves of disk (and access to several arrays across them) because two ESMs failed at the same time, which is another thing IBM insists should never happen.

Vulture Culture fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Feb 4, 2012

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

szlevi posted:

OK, let me reiterate again: the purpose of all these gymnastics was and still is to provide better management of the information.
The whole point in OFS (Cairo) was to introduce an object-based system and while WinFS was not a replacement in any way the aim of its development was focusing on the same thing (ie information management.)
In principle, WinFS would have been nice. It'd however have failed thanks to NIH syndrome, which most big software developers are prone to. Either by injecting their own non-inherited schemas, or refusing to share data via WinFS at all. Ignoring the fact that the public version of WinFS didn't ship with native APIs, which contributed to its failing.

szlevi posted:

Let me guess, you have not seen any object-based storage system... but if you have seen then please explain how they would work running NTFS and why that's not possible... :P
No, I haven't seen one. Apparently. I still fail to see what advantage they'd have, outside specific scenarios. Most data's still unstructured, or hard to structure. I'm happy to learn something, so give it a try. Maybe I don't understand object based storage, because my definition of objects stems from programming, and how it's different from stream based storage.

szlevi posted:

You mean except the fact that NTFS lacks almost all the features of the other ones?
NTFS is about as capable as any other filesystem. I guess your reply relates to this:

szlevi posted:

Are you serious? No volume management, no RAID, no checksums whatsoever etc etc?
Apart from integrated checksums, no filesystem does volume management and consequently redundancy, with the exception of ZFS. The things you mention are usually implemented elsewhere in the storage stack, below the actual filesystem. You'll be getting it finally with Windows 8 and Storage Spaces, altho not as extensive on first release as one would want it (lack of double and triple parity, RAID10).

szlevi posted:

I am not sure if I understand your PoV - these announcements have nothing to do with UI, my comment was about the fact that MS really lags behind others and very slow to roll out new features and new versions.
It was a generic comment as to where we'd be in future. Given how Windows Server 8 is shaping up, Microsoft servers are also going to be flashy. But anyway, the main point was that ReFS and Storage Spaces are subject to Microsoft's release cadence, and you won't be seeing any worthwhile improvements until at least three years from that. With open source, this is different. For instance improvements in the the Linux filesystems get rolled out as they come and are deemed usable or stable. In the time Microsoft needs to roll out a new Windows version, ZFS saw tons of improvements and feature additions, available to anyone. I don't see Microsoft doing gradual updates with service packs.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Combat Pretzel posted:

Apart from integrated checksums, no filesystem does volume management and consequently redundancy, with the exception of ZFS. The things you mention are usually implemented elsewhere in the storage stack, below the actual filesystem. You'll be getting it finally with Windows 8 and Storage Spaces, altho not as extensive on first release as one would want it (lack of double and triple parity, RAID10).
Btrfs

Combat Pretzel posted:

It was a generic comment as to where we'd be in future. Given how Windows Server 8 is shaping up, Microsoft servers are also going to be flashy. But anyway, the main point was that ReFS and Storage Spaces are subject to Microsoft's release cadence, and you won't be seeing any worthwhile improvements until at least three years from that. With open source, this is different. For instance improvements in the the Linux filesystems get rolled out as they come and are deemed usable or stable. In the time Microsoft needs to roll out a new Windows version, ZFS saw tons of improvements and feature additions, available to anyone. I don't see Microsoft doing gradual updates with service packs.
That's often true, but lots of Microsoft service releases have seen feature additions lately, whether it's Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1 adding Dynamic Memory into Hyper-V, Exchange 2010 SP1 adding in an ActiveSync admin console and enabling configuration of multiple public folder servers for Outlook clients, or the rather large SQL Server 2008 R2 SP1 Feature Pack. It seems to be the rule for Microsoft to be adding new features into service packs these days, not the exception.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
So they've decided to implement volume management in BTRFS after all? That's hilarious, considering how much the Linux crowd shat on Sun in the past for doing this with ZFS.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Combat Pretzel posted:

So they've decided to implement volume management in BTRFS after all? That's hilarious, considering how much the Linux crowd shat on Sun in the past for doing this with ZFS.
There is no "Linux crowd" any more than there's a "Ford crowd."

You've got to keep in mind that in any community, not just in software, if there's a group of people yelling really loud, it doesn't necessarily represent any kind of consensus. I know that several kernel developers were personally opposed to the idea because it violated the separation of concerns and added a lot of redundant work, but I think eventually they and many others came around to understand that there's a lot of really significant benefits to having the filesystem and volume manager aware of how to work with each other. Most developers would probably like to see a more well-developed and generic integration that keeps the layers more orthogonal while exposing enough information through private APIs to do things like sparse resilvering, but this solution is here today.

As important as the enthusiast developer community is to open-source, there's an absolutely massive amount of corporate contributions to the Linux kernel. Linus tends to accept most contributions as long as they're stable, as long as they're in the spirit of the kernel, as long as they don't break anything, and as long as people are willing to maintain them. I highly doubt that a design like Btrfs with an integrated volume manager and RAID implementation would have come out of the open-source community by itself.

Vulture Culture fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Feb 5, 2012

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

evil_bunnY posted:

Nope, I only have the one unit, but it's very easy in the GUI to build a nice group, and span your LUNs across a mix of fast and large units, to take advantage of the automatic data segmenting, without any idea of the possible consequences. People compare Equallogic to Lefthand, but this is one of the major differences between them.

There have been cases of botched firmware releases that would knock a unit out if installed, and enough physical disk failures could also knock out a unit.

I was noting this more as an FYI, as the documentation and sales pitches carefully walk around the issue, and it's the biggest gotcha, not that I expect it's happened very often.

Bitch Stewie
Dec 17, 2011

evil_bunnY posted:

No, but it's something that would concern me, plan for the worst and all that.

I guess there's an argument in a frame based SAN that you could lose power to a shelf or similar, but something just doesn't sit so well with the idea that if you have 5 EQLs and any one of them goes offline there goes all of your LUNs that have so much as a block on the offline unit.

It's irrational I accept, but the concern is there.

Muslim Wookie
Jul 6, 2005

adorai posted:

Even if they don't it's pretty trivial to script out yourself. All snapmanager for VMware does is do a VMware snapshot of all the VMs, snapshot the volume containing the datastore, and then delete the VMware snapshots. It just wraps it up with a pretty bow to make it really easy to backup and restore from.

One of the big reasons I love filers, it's all so simply controlled.

But anyway, you're half right or I should have been more specific. My response was with regards to SQL. SnapManager for SQL supports SQL servers running databases on VMDKs. SMSQL will tell SQL it's taking a backup, then do the VMware snapshot, etc. I hope I don't sound petty but to my mind that is a huge distinction.

As to why VMDKs on NFS datastores isn't supported by SnapManager for Exchange yet, I don't know, last word I had was it was just taking longer to get out because it's the same guys coding both products.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Bitch Stewie posted:

No, but it's something that would concern me, plan for the worst and all that.

I guess there's an argument in a frame based SAN that you could lose power to a shelf or similar, but something just doesn't sit so well with the idea that if you have 5 EQLs and any one of them goes offline there goes all of your LUNs that have so much as a block on the offline unit.

It's irrational I accept, but the concern is there.

Well, only LUNs that cross the offline unit are unavailable, others will perform fine, and you don't need to make LUNs cross every unit in a group. Like I said, this is more of an FYI to keep in mind when designing and implementing an EQL storage group, not something that is likely to happen.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Like someone said earlier, it's really no different than having both controllers in a traditional SAN head go down.

madsushi
Apr 19, 2009

Baller.
#essereFerrari

marketingman posted:

As to why VMDKs on NFS datastores isn't supported by SnapManager for Exchange yet, I don't know, last word I had was it was just taking longer to get out because it's the same guys coding both products.

I never understood this. Why would you want your databases in VMDKs? If you're using a NetApp, you have SnapDrive installed, which literally makes it take like five seconds to make a volume, provision a LUN, and connect it to your VM. Why add in the extra layer of abstraction for nothing? You're already using a SAN, so it's not like the LUNs won't be available if you vMotion your VM. Plus, by having your Exchange/SQL databases in your VMWare volumes, you're killing dedupe and making your snapshots way larger than they need to be. And if you're putting Exchange/SQL on separate NFS volumes in VMDKs.... why not just make those LUNs?

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

madsushi posted:

I never understood this. Why would you want your databases in VMDKs? If you're using a NetApp, you have SnapDrive installed, which literally makes it take like five seconds to make a volume, provision a LUN, and connect it to your VM. Why add in the extra layer of abstraction for nothing? You're already using a SAN, so it's not like the LUNs won't be available if you vMotion your VM. Plus, by having your Exchange/SQL databases in your VMWare volumes, you're killing dedupe and making your snapshots way larger than they need to be. And if you're putting Exchange/SQL on separate NFS volumes in VMDKs.... why not just make those LUNs?
Storage vMotion is a pretty big one if you're working with small datasets (small enough to not max out a 2 TB LUN, anyway) and space-constrained storage.

madsushi
Apr 19, 2009

Baller.
#essereFerrari

Misogynist posted:

Storage vMotion is a pretty big one if you're working with small datasets (small enough to not max out a 2 TB LUN, anyway) and space-constrained storage.

Thanks. Storage vMotion makes sense, you can do some vol/LUN moving on NetApp but not to the same degree as storage vMotion. I would ask why you're moving your Exchange/SQL databases around though, but I can see the value there.

e: has anyone suggested using "sMotion" to describe Storage vMotion?

Goon Matchmaker
Oct 23, 2003

I play too much EVE-Online

madsushi posted:

Thanks. Storage vMotion makes sense, you can do some vol/LUN moving on NetApp but not to the same degree as storage vMotion. I would ask why you're moving your Exchange/SQL databases around though, but I can see the value there.

e: has anyone suggested using "sMotion" to describe Storage vMotion?

I've always seen svMotion, which is mildly retarded.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

madsushi posted:

If you're not using virtualized storage, you might conceivably need to move to a higher tier (SATA->FC->SSD), a larger volume, or another SAN altogether.

Generally, our policy is to create everything on VMDK except things that can't be on account of MS Clustering requirements. There's no real performance hit and the only danger is admins who create disks the whole size of the volume because they don't know any better. (I've had this issue.)

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

madsushi posted:

iSCSI licenses are no longer free. You can get either NFS or iSCSI free, but not both.

There are other reasons, but none are terribly compelling.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

So I'm still back and forth with EMC over stupid poo poo on our new VNX. We have a Unified box (so Block and File). We configured Connect Home to email EMC notifications, and we get a heartbeat email once a week saying that the notifications are working. Great.

We had a PSU fail, and I wanted to see how EMC's renowned "hands-on" service worked. A week later, no response. So I opened a ticket. They over-nighted us a PSU, which worked great, but no response on the part of the ticket that asked "why didn't Connect Home open a ticket for us?" After several emails to the field tech assigned to the case, and the managing tech or whatever the hell they are called, no answer.

So today I open a new ticket, "hey, can you make sure Connect Home is working for us? You should be seeing heartbeat emails on this array." They have no idea what I am talking about. The tech remotes in, says "oh, you configured Connect Home for File, but not for Block." I ask them if they have any documentation for configuring for Block, and they say that they do not, as that is something a field tech has to come out to do.

The kicker in all this? The PSU that failed was for the NAS heads. Which is for File, not for Block.

I think I'm going to make an :emc: smiley. Or maybe just use this one. :eng99:

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Just so you know I'm currently crafting an RFP specifically so I can tell EMC to go gently caress themselves.

Muslim Wookie
Jul 6, 2005
But it's UNIFIED Internet Explorer, don't be silly you made all that up.

UNIFIED.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

A field tech has to come on site to configure notifications.

It's the year 2012 and a tech has to come ONSITE to configure NOTIFICATIONS.

Jesus Christ.

Slappy Pappy
Oct 15, 2003

Mighty, mighty eagle soaring free
Defender of our homes and liberty
Bravery, humility, and honesty...
Mighty, mighty eagle, rescue me!
Dinosaur Gum

evil_bunnY posted:

Just so you know I'm currently crafting an RFP specifically so I can tell EMC to go gently caress themselves.

Add me in to this. I'm sick of their Unisys CE's loving up our disk replacements. 3 failed drives in less than a month. Unisys has 1) forgotten to order a drive, 2) ordered the wrong drive and 3) replaced the wrong drive (yes they pulled a good active drive). There's a god damned orange light on the failed one you assholes.

EMC is officially clown shoes. Never buying them again.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

More frustrations with EMC today. Yesterday I opened up a ticket because one of our VNX units failed when we were first setting it up. The VIA (setup wizard) froze, and I am assuming left the array half way configured. Problem with that is that the VIA cannot be run again, and you cannot access the array using Unisphere. So the only way to fix it is via SSH, but who knows what steps their wizard completed, and what still needs to be done.

So I went in to support chat and asked if there was any way to reset the Control Station back to defaults. No. Okay, is there any way do download the Control Station OS and reinstall it. No. The tech tells me they have to send a tech out.

The tech gets the ticket and has not idea what is going on. "What is the problem? What state (actual physical location) is the array in?" And then he informs me that we did not purchase installation services and if he comes out he has to charge us.

What. I don't want you to install the array. I want to fix the problem that the VIA caused when it failed. If there was any way to do it myself I'd be more than happy to.

ihafarm
Aug 12, 2004

Internet Explorer posted:

So I'm still back and forth with EMC over stupid poo poo on our new VNX. We have a Unified box (so Block and File). We configured Connect Home to email EMC notifications, and we get a heartbeat email once a week saying that the notifications are working. Great.

We had a PSU fail, and I wanted to see how EMC's renowned "hands-on" service worked. A week later, no response. So I opened a ticket. They over-nighted us a PSU, which worked great, but no response on the part of the ticket that asked "why didn't Connect Home open a ticket for us?" After several emails to the field tech assigned to the case, and the managing tech or whatever the hell they are called, no answer.

So today I open a new ticket, "hey, can you make sure Connect Home is working for us? You should be seeing heartbeat emails on this array." They have no idea what I am talking about. The tech remotes in, says "oh, you configured Connect Home for File, but not for Block." I ask them if they have any documentation for configuring for Block, and they say that they do not, as that is something a field tech has to come out to do.

The kicker in all this? The PSU that failed was for the NAS heads. Which is for File, not for Block.

I think I'm going to make an :emc: smiley. Or maybe just use this one. :eng99:

HA! I'm in the opposite boat, if our Celerra misses too many connecthome reports I usually arrive to work and have multiple emails from EMC support telling me in broken english that a ticket has been opened for this issue, it even gets elevated to our local support rep after 24-48 hours if I don't respond.

Slappy Pappy
Oct 15, 2003

Mighty, mighty eagle soaring free
Defender of our homes and liberty
Bravery, humility, and honesty...
Mighty, mighty eagle, rescue me!
Dinosaur Gum

ihafarm posted:

HA! I'm in the opposite boat, if our Celerra misses too many connecthome reports I usually arrive to work and have multiple emails from EMC support telling me in broken english that a ticket has been opened for this issue, it even gets elevated to our local support rep after 24-48 hours if I don't respond.

I got a call at 2:43am one night last month from EMC support in India to ask me to troubleshoot a Centera call home issue. That company has seriously poo poo the bed.

Bluecobra
Sep 11, 2001

The Future's So Bright I Gotta Wear Shades

Spamtron7000 posted:

I got a call at 2:43am one night last month from EMC support in India to ask me to troubleshoot a Centera call home issue. That company has seriously poo poo the bed.
Hey at least you don't get emails every other day about a failed Sun Storagetek ASR activation that was attempted four years ago. :sigh:

Puck42
Oct 7, 2005

Anyone have any experience with 3PAR F400 and SNMP?

We're trying to collect usage stats via SNMP from the F400 but we only get back the generic OIDs (None of the 3PAR specific ones). Has anyone seen this?
I'm trying to work on this with 3PAR support but they are being slow about getting back to me.

We also have a problem with SNMP traps all coming back with the same severity set. Which makes prioritizing alerts impossible.

Hopefully someone here has an idea. It's driving me nuts.

bort
Mar 13, 2003

e: /\ /\ /\ that sounds to me like your monitoring software needs a MIB with the vendor-specific info. You have that already?

Spamtron7000 posted:

You also can't get them to stop. I purchased third-party support on my aging EMC gear while we ship the data off to Dell land with it's :ohdear: gradually yawning lead times. EMC still finds ways to call me at ridiculous times about errors, even though I remove an email alert or a modem from each piece every time they call me. I've told them over and over, the very first sentence I say to them, "EMC does not support this unit anymore." I signed maintenance ending paperwork, talked to sales reps etc. Everyone assured me the relationship was over and EMC would bother us no longer, but once that support horse is out of its barn, you ain't bridlin' it.

Now I just treat it like spam or a telemarketer. I tell them to go away as quickly as possible and get rude quickly if they don't take a hint.

ninja: Oh and third party has been terrific. Don't pay EMC, pay half the cost for better techs.

bort fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Feb 11, 2012

BnT
Mar 10, 2006

Equallogic v5.2.1 released this week. I'll let you know if it blows up my SAN.

j3rkstore
Jan 28, 2009

L'esprit d'escalier
Is there any downside to buying off-lease NetApp shelves on ebay? Some of the retailers have warranty options so I'd be looking at those.

I recently got a quote for a shelf which totals more than I paid for the filer, disks, and software. Now the rep is telling me drive prices are going up 10-15% which I think is :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

j3rkstore posted:

Is there any downside to buying off-lease NetApp shelves on ebay? Some of the retailers have warranty options so I'd be looking at those.
Where do you intend to get replacement drives?