Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rangergirl
Jun 3, 2004
A shark on whiskey is mighty risky, but a shark on beer is a beer engineer
I have now seen one of my Barred Rock hens crowing, multiple times. It's very bizarre. On top of that she's started being really bossy, chasing some of the other hens and even attacking the rooster. Our only rooster right now is a bantam who is not terribly macho, I'm wondering if we got another rooster if she would behave herself. I hate to get rid of her as she's my favorite hen, she's very friendly and a good layer, but I can't have her terrorizing everyone else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Hello, it is nice to see so many people keeping chickens.
I currently keep two Copper black maran (or at least that is what they are closest too as they probably aren't purely that breed) hens in my back garden, who are free to roam all day

If no-one minds I'll post a couple of pictures of my two girls here.

First one here is Janet Jackson (named my by my little brother) being caught trying to walk into the house:

This is Zorro (named by me) having a break during the past summer months in the flower beds.

Chido
Dec 7, 2003

Butterflies fluttering on my face!

I... I.... I think I'm gonna need more hens. Roo seems to have his favorites and poor Rusty and Godzilla have lost a lot of back feathers. I'm keeping them separated with Spaghetti in the run because Roo doesn't seem to like Spaghetti much. He chases her a lot to mount her, but then he scares her away when I give them treats :(.

I really need my tax money to buy materials to start building a bigger coop, and leave the one they use atm as a nest coop. I'm thinking of getting a buff bramah and a jersey giant, but I don't know how a jersey giant would do in a Southern California summer :(.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

I think you should get easter eggers. :colbert:

E: Or speckled sussexes so I can live vicariously through you.

hypoallergenic cat breed
Dec 16, 2010

I have a Jersey Giant in Louisiana and she does just fine. They are hardy birds, even in heat. I too would recommend Easter Eggers though. They come in so many different colors and have fuzzy beards/ear muffs.

Chido
Dec 7, 2003

how big can easter eggers be? Also I wanted to get another barred rock hen like Spaghetti because I love the stripes :3:

Sooo if I manage to build a decent 4x8 feet chicken coop, I could add up to four more chickens and that'd be my limit. I'd love to get a bugg brahma, an easter egger, a speckled sussex (omg just googled the breed and they are so pretty :swoon: ), and a barred rock or silverlaced wyandotte.

drat chicken keeping is addictive...

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Easter eggers aren't a breed specifically so they kinda end up all over the board, but I think they come in everything from 4-8 pounds. But um, I've only barely looked into chickens so don't quote me on that.

Chido
Dec 7, 2003

Yeah I know easter eggers are amareucana mixes, I just wish they'd have a more uniform size of 5-7 pounds, Roo is a big boy and smaller hens might be a bit fragile for him and his horny ways atm :(.

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

Geokinesis posted:

If no-one minds I'll post a couple of pictures of my two girls here.

First one here is Janet Jackson (named my by my little brother) being caught trying to walk into the house:

This is Zorro (named by me) having a break during the past summer months in the flower beds.

Awwww. Both of your chickens are so pretty! I love the brown/black feathers on Janet. The pattern is so beautiful! :3:

Chido -- why don't you make some of those cloth chicken saddles (is that what they are called?) for your poor hens. Ya'll like dressing up the birds after all.

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

I think she just needs an excuse to get more hens. :p

Roo is a horny dude.

luloo123
Aug 25, 2008

c355n4 posted:

I think she just needs an excuse to get more hens. :p

Roo is a horny dude.

No problem with that. More hens means more pictures! Go! Chido! Go! I live vicariously through your images.

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~

Chido posted:

I... I.... I think I'm gonna need more hens. Roo seems to have his favorites and poor Rusty and Godzilla have lost a lot of back feathers. I'm keeping them separated with Spaghetti in the run because Roo doesn't seem to like Spaghetti much. He chases her a lot to mount her, but then he scares her away when I give them treats :(.

I really need my tax money to buy materials to start building a bigger coop, and leave the one they use atm as a nest coop. I'm thinking of getting a buff bramah and a jersey giant, but I don't know how a jersey giant would do in a Southern California summer :(.

Adopt a VS hen from the hatch this year dooo itt. :3:

Chido
Dec 7, 2003

I'd love to do that but VS lives in Nevada now :(, so I won't be able to get any goon peeps.

WrathofKhan
Jun 4, 2011
Most EE's are at least medium sized, so they should be ok. If you want EE's, I'd suggest buying from Myer Hatchery, since they are the only one who's EEs will consistently lay blue or green eggs.

Speaking of eggs, how is everyone's hens laying right now? Mine are loving the freakishly warm weather, I'm getting between 4 and 5 dozen eggs a week from 11 hens.

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Easter Eggers sound lovely, also a great way to surprise people by giving them such a 'strange' coloured egg every now and again!

Also it has just snowed here so I spent a bit of time trying to clear some ground before letting the hens out this morning. However it was no use, they poked their heads out the coop and went back inside, I may have to try harder. :ohdear:

the good fax machine
Feb 26, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
New backyard chicken keeper reporting!

I'm thrilled to find this thread here, I figured there probably be a farm animal thread in PI but this is perfect. I just moved into a house that has a chicken coop already built on the side, and they left us a chicken as well. She's only one or two years old, and she's definitely laying pretty good. I'm not sure what time she does it yet, but we're pending on an egg a day for the last 5 days right now, we even had a decent snowstorm the last few days and the temperatures have been pretty low. We're in Colorado, so it does get cold, although it's been remarkably warm this winter. Anyway here's a couple pictures, hopefully you goons can help us come up with a good name.

She's really pretty, looks black but her feathers glow green and purple in the sunlight. I had no idea there were so many varieties of chicken until I skimmed this thread, do you guys have any idea what she is? We are most definitely going to get a couple more, it seems to me that there is plenty of room in the coop. It measures about 65 square feet, with 50 outdoors and 15 inside. I don't want any more than we need, so I'm thinking 2 more is probably the sweet spot.

Coop pics

She's not really a camera whore, she just follows me every loving where I go. The previous owner never let her out of the coop, I have once. The yard is pretty much 100% dirt, so all there is for her to munch on is weeds. There are a lot of predators around here, we are pretty much right on the foot of the Rockies, but it seems like the coop at least is pretty well locked down. We only have chain link fence a few feet high, so I'm not so sure that it's a good idea to leave her out unattended.

One of my biggest questions is what is the general consensus on how long chicks have to be kept indoors? I would imagine that it probably wouldn't be safe to leave them outdoors until at least May, so I'm just trying to figure out when we should get everything started. I found the link someone posted for jackshenhouse.com and I'm going to browse that, but any advice on raising chicks for the first time would be appreciated. We have 2 cats, but we also have a spare room that we can devote entirely to the chicks and keep the house predators away.

Edit: Just checked my local ordinance, 10 chickens allowed with no roosters and no permit. 4 square feet per bird, so I do have plenty of space.

the good fax machine fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Feb 5, 2012

Chido
Dec 7, 2003

Chicks need to be kept warm and indoors until they are fully feathered. You could try buying a grown hen at a feed store (some stores sell poultry too), to keep her company, since one hen alone is too lonely, you'd need to keep at least 3 for them to have a sense of being in a flock.

You could also make a bigger enclosed run for them using some sturdy welded wire. I would also reinforce the wall of the run, since chicken wire is too flimsy and any predator can tear it if they really want chicken for dinner :(. Btw I think your hen might be a jersey giant or australorp, I guess it depends on how big she is :3:.

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

Are there any rescue chickens you could adopt? It's always nice to provide a new home for an unwanted animal.

Also, your black hen is very cute. She sounds quite friendly since she follows you around. You could name her Shadow. :)

Chido
Dec 7, 2003

marauderthirty posted:

Edit: Just checked my local ordinance, 10 chickens allowed with no roosters and no permit. 4 square feet per bird, so I do have plenty of space.

That's for the sleeping area, a chicken needs about 10 square feet of run space if you are gonna keep them enclosed.

Edit: I keep all my chickens --7 of them-- in a rather small coop i bought.http://www.petco.com/product/112389/WARE-Premium--Chick-N-Villa-Chicken-Coop.aspx We had the intention of only keeping 3 chickens, then we adopted Roostroyer, then we caught a stray hen... then we bought spaghetti... then there was this cute leghorn pullet at he feed store... so the coop sleeping area is not enough anymore. What we did is we fenced a huge area in the back yard, I boarded all the wired sides of the coop, added a roost inside, and now 3-4 chickens sleep in the tiny room of the coop, and 2-3 on the perch. I leave the coop open all day and I only lock them once they are settled down and sleeping. I'm gonna build them a bigger coop when I get money, so I can leave that one for nesting, and also because Roo needs more girlfriends to have surprise sex with :3:

So basically I wouldn't worry too much about the sleeping area, but they do need a lot of running space.

Chido fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Feb 5, 2012

Chido
Dec 7, 2003

2 hens, one nest spot....

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

WrathofKhan posted:

Speaking of eggs, how is everyone's hens laying right now? Mine are loving the freakishly warm weather, I'm getting between 4 and 5 dozen eggs a week from 11 hens.
That's a lot of eggs!

We're averaging two a day from four hens, as it's midwinter here. Overnight we got six inches of snow, so yesterday evening snow proofed the run (and outside the run) so there would still be grass & extra shelter for when they came out this morning.

Our garden looked like this first thing today:

But the hens weren't bothered by the snow for too long (temperature felt less cold than it had done for the last couple of days and there was no biting wind).

We brought Dora, the small, wheezy hen inside for a few hours every day when she was on medication. We've continued this when the weather is cold, damp and windy (not good for her breathing). The warm kitchen soon lets her catch her breath and relax, plus we make sure she gets enough food (she's also the bottom of the pecking order) and a chance to preen and try out new treats the others will eventually get.

Best news of all is Pip, who was drat as near bald when we got her. Three weeks after she came here some feathers started coming through on her back:

Fourteen days after that:

No wonder she'd been stuffing her beak so much. Pip's been looking miserable the last week, which is not surprising considering how many feathers were breaking through her skin. It's can't be a pleasant feeling.

Hopefully the snow will melt soon and Spring will come along with warmer weather and they can get the whole garden to ruin forage.

spookygonk fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Feb 5, 2012

meriruka
Apr 13, 2007

marauderthirty posted:

but her feathers glow green and purple in the sunlight. I had no idea there were so many varieties of chicken until I skimmed this thread, do you guys have any idea what she is?

She looks like a black sex link to me. Once she has a friend to hang out with she won't follow you around as much. (Unless she thinks you have treats)

Couple of pics to share:
Tiffany:

Spikey:

Bill watching Vanna lay an egg:

Trixie:

Spookygonk, can't wait to see what your girls look like all feathered in!

meriruka fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Feb 6, 2012

WrathofKhan
Jun 4, 2011
I agree that she looks like a black sex-link, she's way too small to be a Jersey Giant, and she's not fluffy enough to be an Australorp, plus her comb is on the big side for an Australorp. You should get her some buddies, a lone chicken is a lonely chicken. Check out Craigslist to see if anyone in your area is selling. If you decide to get chicks, they need to stay inside until they are fully feathered, which takes about a month.

hypoallergenic cat breed
Dec 16, 2010

marauderthirty posted:

I'm not so sure she's a sex link as most sex links have brown on their chest.
As for advice on chick raising, make sure you get a heat lamp as chicks are supposed to be kept at 90ish degrees for the first week, 85 for the second week, and so on. Once they are fully feathered you can put them outside. You may want to introduce them to the older hen slowly though as she might pick on them.

Chido
Dec 7, 2003

Also, as dumb as this may sound to you, but you could get a chicken diaper and let her hang out with you inside the house while you get chicks. I doubt your cats would try to eat her, there are a couple of stray cats that come to hangout into our backyard, and they haven't tried to ea our chickens yet, probably because they are too big to look like an easy meal.

Vaga42Bond
Apr 10, 2009

Die Essensrationen wurden verdoppelt!
Die Anzahl der Torpedos wurde verdoppelt!

Twitter posted:

chickam2008
Planning this year's Chickam event for Easter weekend, April 7-8th, which means the eggs will start incubation on March 17th.

Ladies and Gentlemen... get your names ready!

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

I wonder what breeds of eggs will be in this year's Chickam? I know that the Birchan Marans eggs were difficult to incubate last year, but I'd love to see some more Birchan Marans chicks just because their little white butts are soooo adorable! Birchan Marans chicks are like little penguins. :3:

What type of chick was the famous Piggles? That was a very cool-looking chick too.

Chido
Dec 7, 2003

Megatron has been limping and favors her left leg since I let them out this morning. I worked yesterday afternoon and didn't get back home until 6pm, by that time the chickens were already in the coop so I couldn't tell if she was already hurt.

She got some big scratch on the top of her foot, in between the right and middle toes. I washed her foot to try to remove as much poop and dirt as I could, and the scratch doesn't look deep, it's semi scabbed and it seems it only peeled off some scares off her skin. I have her on a crate in my room for the moment because she doesn't walk much and she just lays down outside. I put some ointment on her wound to help it heal. :( I hope she doesn't have any broken bones or anything.

Chido
Dec 7, 2003

Hey Rusty, I just took the egg you laid.

You mad?

Awww you got mad :3:

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

Awwww. Stealin' her eggs! Poor angry bird...I mean hen! :D

Rusty is very pretty though. I'd love to pet her but she's looking a bit broody there. :)

Chido
Dec 7, 2003

Inveigle posted:

Awwww. Stealin' her eggs! Poor angry bird...I mean hen! :D

Rusty is very pretty though. I'd love to pet her but she's looking a bit broody there. :)

Rusty is one of my smallest hens, she's at most 4 pounds, and that's just a wild guess. she pecks my nieces when they try to get the egg from under her, but when I do it, I just lift her up with one hand, grab the egg, and put her back down, and she only gives me the stink eye you see and gets all fluffed up. she eventually gets over it, if she doesn't then I get her out of the coop and close it.

the good fax machine
Feb 26, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
I checked with the Humane Society, and they don't have any chickens. I haven't tried calling any feed stores yet, mostly due to the fact that all that BFE stuff is out beyond the east side of town and I live on the west. Craigslist yielded a few results, but once again all these people live out in the boonies and I couldn't decide whether $25 for a chicken was fair or not.

So I noticed just a few hours ago that my hen is eating her own eggs. I was checking up on her to see if she laid an egg yet today, and I noticed 1 1/2 destroyed eggs on the floor in the enclosure. They were about 2 feet from her normal nesting spot. I wasn't sure if she had just stepped on them or why she didn't lay them in the usual place, but after I threw them out I noticed her pecking at the stuff that was still stuck to the bedding. I read that it may be a calcium issue, so I gave her some cheese and getting some oyster shell later. Any suggestions on what else it could be? I'm all worried about her now.

Edit: Also, judging from a picture from a seller on CL I'm about 99% sure my hen is a Black Australorp.

the good fax machine fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Feb 7, 2012

hypoallergenic cat breed
Dec 16, 2010

Sometimes they just squish them on accident and decide to taste them. The guy at the feed store told me what to do whenever you have an egg eater. You take an egg, poke it with a needle, get all the yolk out, and fill it full of mustard. You then put it back in the egg-box. (He also said to mix the mustard with pepper but birds can't taste spicy so I didn't do that.)
I know it sounds crazy but it's worked twice for me.

Oh, and $25 for a chicken is definitely too much if it's just a yard bird.

hypoallergenic cat breed fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Feb 7, 2012

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Chido posted:

Hey Rusty, I just took the egg you laid.

You mad?

Awww you got mad :3:

Aww :3: I love the grumpy, pouty, floofy chicken look. They are hilarious. As I've said before I've seen four or five hens in the same nesting spot ALL doing that at the same time. They were all White Plymouth Rocks too so all you saw was a mass of white with multiple heads. And angry long bawking.

Chido
Dec 7, 2003

Well I learned another thing about chickens, hens like to steal each other's eggs to lay on. Oh the chicken drama :3:

WrathofKhan
Jun 4, 2011
It sounds like you've got an egg eater, which could be why they left her in the coop when they moved. The advice about filling a egg with mustard sometimes works, I've also heard people say they've had good luck with putting a wooden or plastic egg in, because the chicken can't eat it. It can be a very hard behavior to break, and worse, she can teach it to other chickens.
In my area, a pullet that has just started laying, or is about to lay goes for around $20, so that price doesn't sound outrageous to me, but chicken prices can vary a lot depending on where you are.

In other news, a friend of mine ordered 25 Easter Eggers from Meyer Hatchery that should arrive today or tomorrow, and I'm getting six of them. I'll try to post pictures of the little fuzzy butts when they arrive. :3

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

WrathofKhan posted:

In other news, a friend of mine ordered 25 Easter Eggers from Meyer Hatchery that should arrive today or tomorrow, and I'm getting six of them. I'll try to post pictures of the little fuzzy butts when they arrive. :3

I'm facebook friends with the Meyer hatchery and they just posted this video. I wonder which ones are yours :3:

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

Chido posted:

Well I learned another thing about chickens, hens like to steal each other's eggs to lay on. Oh the chicken drama :3:

I've got one who will lay outside the nest boxes about 50% of the time, and whenever she does the other chickens kick her eggs around through the dirt. It's like full time drama at the chicken high school cafeteria.

Vaga42Bond
Apr 10, 2009

Die Essensrationen wurden verdoppelt!
Die Anzahl der Torpedos wurde verdoppelt!

Twitter posted:

Velvet Sparrow @VelvetSparrow

Looking online & deciding what chicken breeds we want to hatch...Bantam Cochins, Belgian d'Uccles, Buttercups, d'Anvers...so many!

Velvet Sparrow @VelvetSparrow

Although I admit a weakness for Pumpkin Hulsey roos, SO beautiful, colors are amazing! Cons: game birds, already too have too many roos :(

I'm tempted to suggest they get some Transylvanian Naked Necks...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

Velvet Sparrow on Livejournal posted:

On the subject of chickens, we're planning on having our annual event--Chickam--on Easter weekend in April--the 7th & 8th. We'll set the eggs in the incubator on March 17th and 21 days later should have chicks hatching! We haven't chosen the breeds we'll hatch yet, but I'd like some MilleFleur Belgian d'Uccles, plus some chicks from our own hens. Several folks around our neighborhood have chickens and sell eggs, so I may get some eggs from them to add to the mix. We'll be web broadcasting the hatch live, with sound, then we place the cam in the brooder box 24/7 for the following 8 weeks so you can watch the chicks grow up. It's been VERY popular in the past and is fascinating and educational for adults and kids alike! See my website for details, here, scroll down to 'Chickam': http://jackshenhouse.com/VSChickLinksChickam.htm

I wonder if any of last year's chickens are laying eggs yet? I'd love to see some of Peepsquire's chicks. :)