Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

I love that I have an erection...

...that doesn't involve homeless people.

Shogunner posted:

Since that other goon was having problems with that website too, it might just be the website?

It's not just mlbtrade. That was just a really obvious one to do it with. These forums are gone, espn is gone, amazon, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Melman v2

Factory Factory posted:

It's not crashing the entire browser, it's just programmed so that something central about user interaction/updates has to wait on the plug-in. If that freezes, it has to wait for preset time-out condition before the browser can forcefully close it. If you can pick out the particular Chrome.exe in Task Manager that is the Flash plugin process, you can force close it yourself earlier and the browser will resume sooner.

Unless and until Google tries to sandbox the plug-ins like it does tabs/processes, or it changes the timeout conditions, this is just something that can happen.
It's still freezing the entire browser rather than a single tab, or even just the tabs which have flash on them, which is pretty bad.

And why is it taking them so long to fix this stupid problem? They control Chrome, they control Youtube. It doesn't happen on embedded videos so just make every youtube page an embedded video now.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Shadowgate posted:

Read this page of the thread. It's discussed.

drat, my bad. I'm usually better at checking recent posts before posting, I swear :(

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Weird problem I have on SA, wondering if anyone else has it:

If a thread I've previously read is close to the bottom of a page (say, within 6 or 7 replies), and I click on "jump to newest unread post," I don't jump to the newest unread post...I always jump to the bottom of the page.

This only happens with a few unread posts that are at the bottom of a page. If there are a few unread posts but in the middle of a page, I'll go right where I left off.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

I dunno if this is Chrome or G+, but whatever:

The tab title for Google+ flashes: "OMG G+ READY!!!!" Wtf is that and how do I get it to stop?

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008

Ron Jeremy posted:

I dunno if this is Chrome or G+, but whatever:

The tab title for Google+ flashes: "OMG G+ READY!!!!" Wtf is that and how do I get it to stop?

Sounds like an addon. Check your extensions.

YO MAMA HEAD
Sep 11, 2007

I'm in OSX 17.0.963.46, and a lot of Flash content isn't showing up for me unless it's fullscreen. YouTube is fine, but otherwise I get a lot of blank space. It's been happening for a little while.

e: Now YouTube's not working. It's all super inconsistent. Also the audio always works (if you can find the play button!)

YO MAMA HEAD fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Jan 31, 2012

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

BoyBlunder posted:

Sounds like an addon. Check your extensions.

Thanks, that was it. I had some random f5 extension while I was trying to get my invite to work during that first inrush. Shows you how often I used G+ since then.

indulgenthipster
Mar 16, 2004
Make that a pour over

MichiganCubbie posted:

Hey, has anyone had problems with text showing in Chrome? I've been looking for fixes, uninstalled all extensions, reinstalled Chrome, and nothing is working.

This happens to me every once in a while in Gmail. One day I will read an email, then the next I will go back to that email and it's just white text. I end up copy/pasting the text into notepad to read it.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Newest version of AdBlock was disabled because an update for it now allows it more permissions...when I go to enable, it now says it can access data on all website, and tabs and browsing activity...

Am I being paranoid for thinking that something like AdBlock has no business doing that?

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

DrBouvenstein posted:

Newest version of AdBlock was disabled because an update for it now allows it more permissions...when I go to enable, it now says it can access data on all website, and tabs and browsing activity...

Am I being paranoid for thinking that something like AdBlock has no business doing that?

I'm don't know about this case, but "data on all websites" is an incredibly vague statement and many extensions have an explanation for what it means in their case in the description. It might say that if the extension, for example, needs to collect info on what's an ad on which site (this is completely out of my rear end but you get the point)

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib

DrBouvenstein posted:

On the page for AdBlock Plus, it mentions that Chrome shows that warning for all extensions that modify the contents of pages. I highly doubt the permissions were different before. If they were, though, feel free to :tinfoil:.

Fake Edit:

Chrome AdBlock posted:

** NOTE REGARDING PERMISSION UPGRADES, February 2 2012 **

A bug in Chrome is disabling AdBlock and asking you to re-confirm the permissions that you agreed to when you installed. It was triggered when I tried to add popup blocking to AdBlock.

Don't worry, nothing nasty is going on, other than the fact that AdBlock wasn't supposed to be disabled!

You can safely confirm and re-enable AdBlock. Sorry for the mess. See chromeadblock.com/help/?disablebug for a little more detail.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Updated beta channel today and now when I click urls in 3rd party programs on Windows (like if I double click an url in mIRC), it opens the url in a tab and then opens another Chrome window to a blank page over the top of the other Chrome window with the actual valid tab in it.

Anyone else getting this?

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
Anyone on the dev branch having trouble with streaming video to show on sites like Youtube, or even when they are embedded? I hear the audio, but don't get any images to load.

I'm on 18.0.1025.1

edit: Just updated to 18.0.1025.3 and the problem is fixed! :)

Montalvo fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Feb 3, 2012

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

What's the deal with Chrome randomly not wanting to work over a SOCKS proxy, when Firefox doesn't complain?

I get all kind of random connection errors and timeouts. Just a simple ssh -D 8000 bob@myserver.com

YO MAMA HEAD
Sep 11, 2007

I made the mistake of upgrading to Dev to try to fix my Flash problem (same as someone posted a bit up the page) and now my user profile won't work in Beta. I'd be fine trying to use Dev, but it's giving me terrible white flickers with SA. How can I downgrade my user profile?

Strat
Nov 6, 2004
Anyone having issues with the back button sometimes going back, not to the last viewed page but instead to the last viewed domain. It is really annoying. It's been happening for the past few weeks for me. I'm on 16.0.912.77

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.
YouTube freezes seem to have cleared up for me. Issue fixed?

Shadowgate
May 6, 2007

Soiled Meat

Factory Factory posted:

YouTube freezes seem to have cleared up for me. Issue fixed?

Yeah its fixed

unruly
May 12, 2002

YES!!!
Is the new tab button perpetually broken (missing graphic)? I mean, it's not a make-or-break, but it does sort of stand out

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

That's style, man.

No it's meant to be that way now - not exactly user-friendly, I guess they're trying to imply that it's another tab waiting to be brought forth into existence or something. What bugs me most is it just looks slightly wrong, something about the curves and the angles doesn't fit with the shape of the tabs

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
I think it's weird because I am pretty sure it's the same shape it was when the plus was still in there... so maybe it's just that we're used to seeing it that way.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Yeah probably, it's just that now it's the shape standing on its own as a minimalist design, except it doesn't look good enough to work like that. Kinda looks like a square lemon :goleft:

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
I haven't done nay special theming or anything and I still have the + on my new tab button. Should I feel left out?

unruly
May 12, 2002

YES!!!

Question Mark Mound posted:

I haven't done nay special theming or anything and I still have the + on my new tab button. Should I feel left out?
I probably should have clarified. I'm using the dev branch, not stable/release where the plus symbol still shows.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe
Is anyone aware of any extensions that function similarly to the RSS-ticker addon for Firefox that makes new RSS updates scroll across the bottom of the browser window until read / clicked? I used it to keep track of good deals in the coupons forums but I can't seem to find any equivalent within Chrome. :(

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

unruly posted:

I probably should have clarified. I'm using the dev branch, not stable/release where the plus symbol still shows.

It's also gone in Beta

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
:siren: CHROME 17 IS OUT YALL :siren:

I hear it already: "pfft, just another Chrome version."

Well guess what guys? This one has REAL RESOURCE BLOCKING. Finally, Firefox-quality AdBlock and NoScript capabilities for everyone! No more "load-then-hide," now extensions can actually keep poo poo from loading. I use ABP for Chrome and it seems to be working in that regard already.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Looks like my Dev is still on 18.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Anal Tributary posted:

Well guess what guys? This one has REAL RESOURCE BLOCKING. Finally, Firefox-quality AdBlock and NoScript capabilities for everyone! No more "load-then-hide," now extensions can actually keep poo poo from loading. I use ABP for Chrome and it seems to be working in that regard already.

Do I still need adblock experimental?

unruly
May 12, 2002

YES!!!
I guess the new tab button really is going to be 'plus'-less.

Oh well, happy about everything else.

TwoKnives
Dec 25, 2004

Horrible, horrible shoes!

kri kri posted:

Do I still need adblock experimental?

Not once you update to version 17 it looks like.

Adblock Site posted:

Adblock Plus doesn't block in-video ads, background images, XMLHttpRequests

Cause: Google Chrome currently doesn't allow blocking any of these request types
Solution: Update to Chrome 17 or install the experimental Adblock Plus development build (requires enabling experimental APIs).

I installed Canary last night, and the default search engine is Bing, what's the reason for that?

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Did the 17 update come with a new version of flash? I'm pretty sure I had 10-point-something a couple of days ago and now it's 11.1 and Youtube is lagging like hell. Playing a video in Youtube brings everything else into a halt.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Anal Tributary posted:

Beta moved to 18 just now.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Wait, Chrome only just got HTTP pipelining?

And drat, there are so many flags to enable these days. Maybe I should try some of the other GPU rendering ones again. If anyone's interested there's a chrome://gpu page that shows you... some stuff

Master_Odin
Apr 15, 2010

My spear never misses its mark...

ladies
Anyway to bring the plus back as I do miss it and thought it looked better with than without.

Coughing-up Tweed
Jun 12, 2006

Master_Odin posted:

Anyway to bring the plus back as I do miss it and thought it looked better with than without.

I don't think so. It bugged me for a few days when it was introduced into the beta channel, but I don't notice it at all now.

Anyone else's fonts look a little weird and blurry on their extension notifications after the change to 18?

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

She is a cat of significant gravy.

Coughing-up Tweed posted:

I don't think so. It bugged me for a few days when it was introduced into the beta channel, but I don't notice it at all now.

Anyone else's fonts look a little weird and blurry on their extension notifications after the change to 18?

I just updated and it looks like the icons for extensions are slightly smaller now, of course I can't go back to 16 so I can't check and see if it's just me seeing things.

I wish more programs would update like Chrome, seamless and silent and you have no idea it has even happened unless you notice any UI changes. I just wish for installs that can be made silent without a bunch of screwing around.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
This is more of a Google thing than a Chrome thing, but this seems the most relevant thread, so I remember that there was an option a while back to block sites from your search results; did Google get rid of that or is it buried in a menu somewhere?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coughing-up Tweed
Jun 12, 2006

computer parts posted:

This is more of a Google thing than a Chrome thing, but this seems the most relevant thread, so I remember that there was an option a while back to block sites from your search results; did Google get rid of that or is it buried in a menu somewhere?

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/nolijncfnkgaikbjbdaogikpmpbdcdef

EDIT: Huh, the link isn't working. Look for Personal Blocklist.

I seem to remember there being some way to do that without the extension, but that may have just been a temporary thing to help them rejigger their algorithms to prevent content farms from dominating every search result.