Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

tHROW SOME D"s ON THAT BIZNATCH
Commercially, I've had good results with Trader Tiki's orgeat, but making your own is easy, and you can get tweaky on your tiki.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

branedotorg
Jun 19, 2009
Monin do a reasonable one too although it doesn't have the orange blossom aftertaste of the 'real' versions. Fee brothers also make a version.

cyberpunksurvivor
Dec 29, 2011

I am opposed to homosexuality for political reasons

Kenning posted:

That sounds loving repulsive, sorry. Malibu is rum that was so unsellably bad when it came off the still they had to give it a lovely metallic coconut flavor and load it with sugar. Bailey's has its place as an after dinner drink, or with coffee, but is frankly not all the great, all told. And as to why you'd mix it with whiskey, when it's already made with whiskey, is beyond me.

There has never been a good cocktail where the name comes first. There has never been a good acronym cocktail. These things are the drinks equivalents of the McRib – they're cooked up by marketing departments, or bartenders who think like marketing departments, and the only reason people drink them, beyond the gimmicky name, is for the truly heinous amount of sugar they typically contain.

Listen, if you like sweet things there are cocktails that can appeal to that. A Trinidad Sour is very sweet, but balanced and compelling. Cocktail punches, Tiki and otherwise, are often sweet, but use fresh ingredients and interesting rums. Hell, even an old Sidecar is pretty drat sweet if you up the Cointreau a bit.

I'm not trying to hate man, it's just a goddamn shame when people are drinking truly awful poo poo when there's so much deliciousness to be had in the world.

Yeah, that's why I said I had to drink water afterwards. It's really not my kinda thing after all. I like cocktails that are sweet but not too sweet like White Russians and Hulks. Any suggestions?

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008

cyberpunksurvivor posted:

Yeah, that's why I said I had to drink water afterwards. It's really not my kinda thing after all. I like cocktails that are sweet but not too sweet like White Russians and Hulks. Any suggestions?
I was going to try to get people to post their shittiest guilty pleasure lowbrow cocktail anyway.

I don't like them but you might like something like a Miami Vice -I saw a lot of people ordering them the last time I vacationed. It appears to be a Pina Colada mixed with a Strawberry Daquari.

Serious answer:
Rumplemintz and Hot Cocoa. Just make some hot chocolate and add the Rumplemintz to taste -I'm guessing 4:1 chocolate:schnapps would be a place to start. Top with whipped cream.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.
Using powdered hot chocolate mix to ensure nothing curdles, I usually use peppermint Schnapps since it's still 30% ABV and doesn't have the same kick in the face that Rumplemintz does. Water to fill, mini candy cane and whipped cream if it's to be all fancy and stuff.

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008
Some friends and I are doing the Ibsen play Hedda Gabler and in one scene they drink "Punch".
I'd like to make some approximation of what kind of punch a well-to-do Norwegian would have drank in the late 19th century.

I originally thought of some kind of Nordic Sangria type of thing, but research doesn't come up with anything of that sort.
Are they talking about a Swedish "punsch" type of thing or simply a rum punch with tropical fruits that would have come from the trade of the time?

Little help?

It's served cold.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

Milk punch made with arrack. I think kenning posted one earlier in the thread, from the wondrich book. I'll post it when I get home if four separate liqour events today don't kill me first.

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008

Vegetable Melange posted:

Milk punch made with arrack. I think kenning posted one earlier in the thread, from the wondrich book. I'll post it when I get home if four separate liqour events today don't kill me first.
That would be awesome, thanks. No big rush though; I won't get around to making it for at least a month.

Holy poo poo. Dude is Mr. Punch.
Tangentially, the"Admiral Russel" sounds awfully good, and I have most or all the ingredients but yeah it sounds like I have to add Batavia to my shopping list. I sure hope I get somewhere that is near civilization soon; I also want to get Genever and Absinthe.

Cheers.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Admiral Russel's punch is in many respects the most perfect punch recipe I've ever come across or concocted. I would recommend it for any occasion.

And yeah, I really, really like punch. After extensive experimentation in various methods of fueling parties, I can unequivocally say that punch parties are the most jolly good times.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
I would love to serve it at every occasion, but one of the ingredients (2x Remy Martin VSOP) will run me $80. If I wanted to make it for a less discerning crowd (one that would as happily drink from a vat of HRD Vodka + Safeway Fruit Salad), are there any reasonable substitutions for the Remy? Maybe in the $15-$25/750mL region?

GoGoGadgetChris fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Feb 7, 2012

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
You can't substitute brandy for cognac?

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

All cognac is brandy, but not vice versa. Using real cognac is pretty important, but you can get away with Raynal (a French brandy that is not Cognac) if you must, but try not to must. poo poo like E&J is totally unacceptable.

W/r/t the cognac it doesn't necessarily need to be Remy, and it should be VS, not VSOP. At my local BevMo Hennessy VS is like $24/fifth, and Gautier is like $22.

With punch you really need to put the cost in perspective by calculating the number of standard drinks (i.e. 0.6 oz. ethanol) you will be producing and using that to determine the per-drink cost of your bowl. A full batch of Admiral Russel's costs around $80 total, and the yield is 40 standard drinks, so it lands perfectly in the $2/drink sweet spot that is home to almost every great punch I've made. Even my buddy's birthday punch that I made a couple Saturdays ago was like $2.25/drink, and that contained two bottles of VSOP Cognac, a full bottle of Gran Marnier, and a half case of champagne.

If you want a really inexpensive punch that everyone will love, you can go with Limmer's Club Gin Punch. It's so cheap and so popular with my friends that I'm totally sick of it, but it'll definitely be a hit, and if you make it with handle of Beefeater or Bombay Original or especially New Amsterdam it's like $0.75/drink. It's also easy to scale and memorize.

Limmer's Club Gin Punch

Yield: 6.67 servings.

1 oz. white sugar
2 oz. thick orange blossom syrup
3 oz. fresh lemon juice, strained
10 oz. London Dry gin
1 liter soda water

To prepare the orange blossom syrup make up a 2:1 simple syrup and when it's off the heat stir in somewhere around a teaspoon of orange blossom water, to taste. It'll keep in the fridge for some time, in my experience, especially if you dose it with a bit of vodka.

For the punch, peel your lemons and muddle them with the sugar, then let sit for a half hour to an hour. Add your syrup, lemon juice, and gin, and stir to dissolve the sugar. It probably won't all dissolve easily, but that's okay, the soda water will dissolve whatever's left. Fish out the lemon peels, give it another couple stirs (to pick up any sugar that's settled) and then pour in the soda water. Finish with a block of ice (made in advance by freezing an appropriately-sized plastic or metal bowl of water overnight).

If you want to make it in advance, combine everything but the soda water and then store in a jug in your fridge. This is also good to do so the punch will be cold as soon as you serve it and the ice won't melt too quickly. You might want to shake it up before you serve it if you do this, in case of settling. This is a small recipe, but multiply everything by 2.5 for a full fifth of gin, or by 6 for a full handle. A fifth's worth is about a gallon of punch, while a handle gets you a 2.25 gallons, so make sure you have bowls to serve it in.

Kenning fucked around with this message at 08:58 on Dec 20, 2022

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Kenning posted:

All cognac is brandy, but not vice versa. Using real cognac is pretty important, but you can get away with Raynal (a French brandy that is not Cognac) if you must, but try not to must.
True, but if he's basically looking for rail liquor, is St. Remy VSOP not acceptable for a punch? It runs about $15/750ml in VA.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Looking at the BevMo website prices St. Remy and Raynal are about the same price, so I reckon they're probably about in the same class of not-cognac-French-brandy. I'm more inclined to use Raynal since St. Remy is clearly trying to be mistaken for Remy-Martin, which I find annoying.

I mean, you can use whatever you want in your drinks, and if that's what you want to drink it'll be fine. For my buddy's big birthday punch I could have used Christian Brother's brandy, Potter's Curacao, Cook's sparkling wine, and bottled lemon juice, but I suspect the party would not have been quite as successful. I give brand and price-point suggestions advisedly, since I've made and tasted the difference. Certainly if you made Admiral Russel's as written and used St. Remy instead of actual cognac it would be leaps and bounds better than most of what's served in bowls at parties. But if you can justify the extra $20 for the real stuff it could be revelatory. And why not? This is a forum for people who love excellent food – why not also excellent drinks?

Death of Rats
Oct 2, 2005

SQUEAK

Kenning posted:

There has never been a good cocktail where the name comes first. There has never been a good acronym cocktail.

Given the cocktail abilities of the goons in this thread (and the wide range of booze (brands) available), I reckon we could probably change that. Just need some good vowels...

Also a Manhattan could arguably be a "BMW" ((Angostura) Bitters, (Rosso) Martini, (Rye) Whiskey). Although getting the lovely cream-and-coconut monstrosity that already fills that acronym to gently caress off is the bigger challenge than filling letters with decent drinks.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
Since our state-run liquor stores don't stock Rumplemintz, what other creme de menthes/peppermint schnapps would you guys recommend?

Also, please recommend a light rum that isn't Flor de Cana. We don't have that either. :downs:
We do have Cuban rum (Havana Club), if that's any good.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Feb 7, 2012

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Whoa how do you have Havana Club? Are you not in America? I was under the impression that poo poo was firmly embargo'd.

Go for the Havana Club. In terms of creme de menthe, Marie Brizard or Get. Those are drat hard to find though, and if you can't get them you might as well just get DeKuyper or comparable. Dunno anything about peppermint stuff.

good luck kitten
Aug 18, 2004

Tripping the light fantastic
Yeah, must be outside of the US; can't find that poo poo anywhere here, but it's all over the place in Europe.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Kenning posted:

Whoa how do you have Havana Club? Are you not in America? I was under the impression that poo poo was firmly embargo'd.

Go for the Havana Club. In terms of creme de menthe, Marie Brizard or Get. Those are drat hard to find though, and if you can't get them you might as well just get DeKuyper or comparable. Dunno anything about peppermint stuff.

Yeah, I'm in Ontario, Canada.
I just say "state-run" instead of "province run" because it's quicker, and amerigoons understand immediately.

And the LCBO carries Marie Brizard too, except it's sold out at my local store. :/

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Feb 8, 2012

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I'm really jealous you have Marie Brizard, even if it's not in stock. I live in the Bay Area and I haven't been able to find it even at fancy San Francisco specialty liquor stores.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

We can't get maraschino, though. :(

I want to try an Aviation...

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.

Mister Macys posted:

Since our state-run liquor stores don't stock Rumplemintz, what other creme de menthes/peppermint schnapps would you guys recommend?

Also, please recommend a light rum that isn't Flor de Cana. We don't have that either. :downs:
We do have Cuban rum (Havana Club), if that's any good.

For hot chocolate and stuff I just use DuBoucher Peppermint Schnapps. The brand that's everywhere that's relatively cheap. Tastes like Starlight Mints. :3: I know it's cheap crap but it's so minty if that's what you're going for then you won't taste anything else.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Mister Macys posted:

We can't get maraschino, though. :(

I want to try an Aviation...

See I would just die. Maraschino is my single favorite thing in the bar and it may just be the tastiest substance on this God's earth.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Had some Cuba Libres with Havana Club Anejo Blanco, and watched Archer for the first time. :cheers:

I think I prefer Sailor Jerry ones more, but the cuban stuff was very smooth.
Apparently, it's aged rum, that's been charcoal filtered to remove the colour and lighten the flavour.

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

I'd like to see this succeed, good applejack is a hard thing to find. I'm backing it, hopefully funding will pick up for them.
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1711774770/holy-terror-farm-micro-distillery

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I would like to back this, but I'm sure I will then find that I can't buy the stuff in VA.

What applejacks do you all recommend? I upgraded from Captain Apple Jack to Laird's as suggested by the PDT book, but I wasn't as impressed as I wanted to be.

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

I tried lairds and didn't really like it at all. Rough as hell. It definitely gets you shitfaced quickly, but I want a sipping applejack, which I think this guy could be producing.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

There is a very significant difference between Laird's bonded and blended applejacks. The bonded tastes like a brandy, the blended tastes like brandy mixed with vodka (which is what it is).

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

The bonded tastes like a brandy, the blended tastes like brandy mixed with vodka (which is what it is).

God loving drat it. I wondered why what was supposed to be a better class of applejack had a strong note of straight-up alcohol lacking any apple flavour.

Edit: Laird via Virginia ABC is loving confusing. I can get Captain Apple Jack BIB, but the Laird's is only available in the 80 proof or the 88 proof Rare Apple that runs $60+ a bottle. I don't know how much NGS is mixed into the Captain.

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Feb 27, 2012

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Also Laird's aged brandies are fine sipping spirits. They're hard as gently caress to find though, unless you live in New Jersey.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

Kenning posted:

Also Laird's aged brandies are fine sipping spirits. They're hard as gently caress to find though, unless you live in New Jersey.

This is a lie, find your distro and ask nicely. Tell them I sent you. And that I will find them if they refuse.

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

Huh, ok. I've only had the cheap stuff, never seen the higher grade Laird's in Arizona. Our distributors are apparently terrible, though. I found some french thing that was loving delicious, I'll see if I can find the name when I get home. It's fortified-with-good-calvados hard cider. So port, but with an all apple base.

Edit:
This is the stuff that is gross:

I like turtles fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Feb 27, 2012

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

I like turtles posted:

So port, but with an all apple base.

Edit:
This is the stuff that is gross:

fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu I got some calls to make.

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu I got some calls to make.

To be clear, that particular laird's stuff is nasty, I was showing the bottle.

I've called the restaurant where I got the apple-port stuff to see if I can figure out the name, it isn't on their online wine list. They're gonna call me back when they get a hold of the manager who knows everything.

Edit: They say the good stuff is called Tomeau, but that isn't yielding any google hits. I'll take a picture of the bottle when I get home.

I like turtles fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Feb 27, 2012

KennyG
Oct 22, 2002
Here to blow my own horn.
Looking at having a dinner party this weekend. The menu is:

Cheese (TBD) w/ Blood Sweat and Tears
Bourbon
Elderflower Liqueur
Blood Orange Bitters
Blood Orange Soda
Garnish with Marachino Cherry

Stuffies [New England classic, Stuffing, sausage, clams baked inside a Quahog shell] P-Town Martini
Gin
Cranbery Juice

Clam Chowder & Clam Cakes w/ Sam Adams Spring Seasonal

Butterscotch Semifredo (???)
Options include:

Amaretto, Peach Nectar and Sparkling Apple/Pear juice

or

Baileys Jameson and Espresso

I seem to be drawing a blank. The dessert always trips me up, but I'd like something to go well with the butterscotch.

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

Ok, it isn't tomeau, I think the intermediary person didn't get it down right.

It is Pommeau de Normandie, Famille L Dupont, from these dudes: http://www.calvados-dupont.com/

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

I like turtles posted:

Ok, it isn't tomeau, I think the intermediary person didn't get it down right.

It is Pommeau de Normandie, Famille L Dupont, from these dudes: http://www.calvados-dupont.com/

I recently tried their triple, stupid good. Was the stuff you had this?

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

I recently tried their triple, stupid good. Was the stuff you had this?

Yes, though I have a different looking bottle. I thought it was cider as a blender but I guess it was just tasty apple juice.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
Worth getting if I'm looking to learn more about making cocktails?

http://www.amazon.com/Fee-Brothers-Bar-Cocktail-Bitters/dp/B001CDQCFQ/ref=sr_1_14?ie=UTF8&qid=1331408474&sr=8-14

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

You definitely don't "need" those while you're learning cocktails, I would stick to basic bitters like angostura, maybe Peychaud's. The most important thing to learn is proper measuring and mixing, building a mental repertoire of drinks, and what various spirits/ingredients taste like.

That said if you're curious about them definitely go for it.