Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

Policenaut posted:

Good to see Atlus' plan of jacking up the price on everything they release for the PSN is still working for them.

True, but they usually have five bazillion sales during the year to make up for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

You can buy Catherine used, on Amazon right now, for $24.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Polite Tim posted:

So did everyone in the world do exactly that? I know I did, god bless you Garrett you wierd cat white mage, you've saved my heiny god knows how many times.

I did it with my Behemoth. :smugdog:

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

In Resonance of Fate, do you get more experience for doing scratch damage and then direct damage? I was reading a guide on Gamefaqs about this, but it was really unclear how experience points are given. It doesn't seem like my characters are gaining any experience points at all.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

I said come in! posted:

In Resonance of Fate, do you get more experience for doing scratch damage and then direct damage? I was reading a guide on Gamefaqs about this, but it was really unclear how experience points are given. It doesn't seem like my characters are gaining any experience points at all.

I'm pretty sure you get XP for every bullet fired. Machine guns get more bullets, so more XP. It works out since usually you want to charge a MG to do more Scratch Damage and then hit them with an uncharged or small-charge Direct Damage shot to capitalize on it.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Yeah, Rule #1 of RoF combat is to use a machine gun to fill up their scratch damage and then hit them with a pistol to finish them off. Otherwise you might as well just be slamming your hand in a car door or something.

Kaleidoscope
Sep 8, 2007

The Internet makes me dizzy.

Policenaut posted:

Ideas?

Syphon Filter 4. It's already rumored to be in development.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak
Completely black background and 2 bullets?

That's totally going to be, Jumping Jack Flash 2 rebooted as a hybrid fps/turn based kart racer.

Fake edit : All money on Black 2.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

bbcisdabomb posted:

I'm pretty sure you get XP for every bullet fired. Machine guns get more bullets, so more XP. It works out since usually you want to charge a MG to do more Scratch Damage and then hit them with an uncharged or small-charge Direct Damage shot to capitalize on it.

I'm slowly figuring this combat system out. It's getting more and more fun as I figure out the more complex concepts. This game is awesome because you actually have to think about what you are doing. Other then Demon's Souls and Dark Souls, this is the first real jRPG ive played in forever that requires skill.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

I said come in! posted:

I'm slowly figuring this combat system out. It's getting more and more fun as I figure out the more complex concepts. This game is awesome because you actually have to think about what you are doing. Other then Demon's Souls and Dark Souls, this is the first real jRPG ive played in forever that requires skill.

I agree. I'm about 3/4 through the game and I can still get my poo poo plowed in a random encounter if I'm not paying attention.

Baggot
Sep 9, 2009

Hail to the King, baby.

I said come in! posted:

Your characters gain experience from using the three weapon types: Handguns, machine guns and grenades. Your characters' level is the summed total of those three individual levels. If you feel like your characters aren't leveling up any more, switch their weapons out to ones they have less experience with and they should start gaining levels quickly again.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Kaleidoscope posted:

Syphon Filter 4. It's already rumored to be in development.
But there are only two bullets.

I think an all black background with two bullets implies Black 2, but I don't know nothin' 'bout nothin', so who knows.

Mechanigma
Apr 17, 2007

ur already ded

SamBishop posted:

Just fired it up, and there are camera controls now -- both horizontal and vertical can be independently flipped as needed in all three games. And now to send it off for review...

Thanks for checking that out! That's great to hear. I was a bit worried after the Prince of Persia trilogy didn't have them, or at least independent ones.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

So this Taiwanese game company is making some kind of PS3 game that looks pretty interesting: Invincible Knight

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WIurc8RBAj4&hd=1

Neon Knight
Jan 14, 2009
Obviously the short awaited sequel to Uncharted 3, Uncharted III-2.

Yechezkel
Oct 5, 2004

Fun Shoe

Harlock posted:

In other news, Catherine (hooray Atlus) is getting a digital release at the regular MSRP of $59.99.

Where did you hear that?
The store preview in PS Blog's podcast last week said it was going to be $39.99.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Yechezkel posted:

Where did you hear that?
The store preview in PS Blog's podcast last week said it was going to be $39.99.
I saw it in one of my RSS updates. Someone probably made an error when posting the news.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak
That looks cool as poo poo. If its one thing I miss its decent side scrollers. Bring back Darius.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Puddin posted:

That looks cool as poo poo. If its one thing I miss its decent side scrollers. Bring back Darius.

Oh yes.

Also a new Gradius. Gradius V was soooooo pretty on the PS2, give me that but HD!

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

Policenaut posted:

Ideas?

I'm hoping for Borderlands 2 myself.

Re: Valkyria Chronicles, it's definitely a fun SRPG to play. You can always mash the Start button at every cutscene. It worked for me and didn't make the game any less enjoyable.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Borderlands 2 has already been announced though.

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

Code Jockey posted:

Oh yes.

Also a new Gradius. Gradius V was soooooo pretty on the PS2, give me that but HD!

gently caress I'd settle for the four Parodius games going up as PS1 Classics, even if it were only on the Japanese store.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Policenaut posted:

So this Taiwanese game company is making some kind of PS3 game that looks pretty interesting: Invincible Knight

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WIurc8RBAj4&hd=1
Haha Gyakuten Kishi. I can't not imagine him yelling OBJECTION!! as he plows through piles of enemies.

Seriously though it's about time Taiwan got into the console game biz. Or hell, anyone in that part of the world other than Japan. I'm tired of the game debate being framed as Japan versus the West, with everyone else from that region sitting it out.

SamBishop
Jan 10, 2003

Samurai Sanders posted:

Seriously though it's about time Taiwan got into the console game biz. Or hell, anyone in that part of the world other than Japan. I'm tired of the game debate being framed as Japan versus the West, with everyone else from that region sitting it out.

Totally agree. For a time there, it looked like Korea might actually make an impact, with some of the games Webzen was trying to get out (at least for PC), but it seems most of their stuff is centered around free-to-play MMOs these days.

I would love to see what something like a Taiwanese take on games might look like once its matured, or India, or, well, like you said, something other than Japan defining Eastern games development.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

Azruelli posted:

Bulletstorm II
Black II

That's what the image evokes thoughts of anyway.

Edit: I wonder if the scratches on the sides of the bullets signify anything, or if it was just a lazy manipulation job.
Edit2: Looks like Black 2 is confirmed as a working title according to a list of FPS games on Gamespot, don't know how reliable or relevant that information is, though.

Bulletstorm was underwhelming sales-wise, which means the franchise is probably dead forever. Black 2 has been stuck in development hell for years, the project director quit EA years ago and supposedly Black 2's assets were recycled for the underwhelming Bodycount which came out last September.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Discount Viscount posted:

gently caress I'd settle for the four Parodius games going up as PS1 Classics, even if it were only on the Japanese store.

Oh man why did you have to mention Parodius [the best series]

Now I want a 1080p modern, so-colorful-it'll-melt-my-HDMI-cords Parodius PSN game.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Code Jockey posted:

Oh man why did you have to mention Parodius [the best series]

Now I want a 1080p modern, so-colorful-it'll-melt-my-HDMI-cords Parodius PSN game.
Sorry, it was replaced with Otomedius. As all shmups are gradually being replaced with moe shmups.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 10:15 on Feb 7, 2012

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Samurai Sanders posted:

Sorry, it was replaced with Otomedius. As all shmups are gradually being replaced with moe shmups.

For those who don't know how horrendous this is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bWEiccW5l4Q

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

The Drop: Week of February 6th

At least we get a new PS2 Classic this week.... AYE AYE CAP'N. :suicide:

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Gonna have to check out the Gotham City Impostors demo. I've heard good things about the beta test.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

That loving Sned posted:

For those who don't know how horrendous this is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bWEiccW5l4Q

Oh man. I want more videos like this. "Gaming Journalism" indeed, what an insult.

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

That is precisely the thing to do, Avatar.
So apparently Eat Sleep Play is folding up its tent and making mobile games, minus 20 percent of the company and David Jaffe -- according to the Salt Lake City Tribune. That, umm, probably doesn't bode well for Twisted Metal DLC, does it?

(The article also quotes a dude as saying Jaffe is moving on to "casual games", which he has denied on Twitter.)

MUFFlNS
Mar 7, 2004

Policenaut posted:

Ideas?

Oh hell yeah! Gran Turismo 6 confirmed! Has anybody alerted Kotaku yet?!

ChetReckless posted:

So apparently Eat Sleep Play is folding up its tent and making mobile games, minus 20 percent of the company and David Jaffe -- according to the Salt Lake City Tribune. That, umm, probably doesn't bode well for Twisted Metal DLC, does it?

(The article also quotes a dude as saying Jaffe is moving on to "casual games", which he has denied on Twitter.)

That would be weird since they have a contract with Sony to make so many games (which won't be completed with the release of TM as far as I know) and well, Calling All Cars was a miserable failure. I can see that maybe they're eyeing up mobile development as where all the money is perhaps, but it just seems like a tremendous waste of talent and ability really. People have waited a long time for Twisted Metal and the reaction to the demo is overhwlemingly positive, to throw that all away, sack 20% of your team and then dive into making mobile games after your last attempt was a failure reeks of madness.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Morpheus posted:

Oh man. I want more videos like this. "Gaming Journalism" indeed, what an insult.
I liked when they started calling it Contra repeatedly.

edit: vvv the game kinda makes that necessary, doesn't it? Other than when the game is actually playing (which judging from reviews is an afterthought) when is it NOT anime boobs filling up the screen?

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Feb 7, 2012

Tamagod Sushi
Oct 26, 2009

One Bad Muthapaca

Morpheus posted:

Wow, it's somehow made creepier that the camera's so focused on close-ups of anime boobies half the time.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Sequel is going to be Medal of Honor 2 :x

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Photex posted:

Sequel is going to be Medal of Honor 2 :x

Sure is!

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Policenaut posted:

Sure is!

Oh my god I'm so surprised. How could we have ever seen this coming.

Edit: Is this what PSM was talking about, or could this be unrelated?

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Report from Destination PlayStation 2012: LittleBigPlanet to make ModNation Racers irrelevant with "LittleBigPlanet Cart Racing"?

I'd scoff but that one dude who wore a bunch of lovely Halloween costumes and claimed he was teasing Sony Smash Bros turned out to be right, so who knows? Shouldn't take too long to get a confirmation/denial anyway, just dropped less than an hour ago.

Morpheus posted:

Oh my god I'm so surprised. How could we have ever seen this coming.

Edit: Is this what PSM was talking about, or could this be unrelated?

It's probably this, but I'm still hoping maybe PSM's thing is Black 2. Even though I can't remember anything about Black 1...

Was hoping EA would show some restraint after MOH1 kinda sucked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Susat
May 31, 2011

Taking it easy, being green
If it is what PSM is toting, that's underwhelming as heck. I thought Medal of Honor got canned out because of their sales in comparison to Battlefield.

I'm betting since EA has made a statement about being impressed with Call of Duty Elite that it's going to have a similar subscription service when it releases.

• Locked thread