Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

Nierbo posted:

The guy that introduced me to Judo gave me his spare double weave gi for free (lucky me huh) but it was a bit tattered so I thought I'd treat myself to a new one seeing as I hit a year training a few months ago. The single weave was only 55 and I thought I'm not exactly a competition player yet so I'll just buy a single weave, but I loving hate it. The coach measured me and chose my size but it feels too big. It just feels loose and... sloppy somehow. No matter how tight I tie my belt the gi top just always comes out but with my double weave gi if I tied the belt the right way the top would never come out. Waste of 50 bucks really. Might give it to the local charity store and just buy a double weave.

Are you a long lean kind of guy? What you're describing was constant problem for me wearing judogis or most bjj brands. Anything long enough was a tent but if it fit my torso it was a t shirt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?

Xguard86 posted:

Are you a long lean kind of guy? What you're describing was constant problem for me wearing judogis or most bjj brands. Anything long enough was a tent but if it fit my torso it was a t shirt.

Yeah you bet I am. I always thought I'd 'fill out' but when I hit 21 and that didn't happen I knew I was stuck as anorexic Gumby forever. One of the guys at Judo is short and stumpy and thick chested etc and I borrowed his gi top once and while it only just fit around me, it never came out and it felt really good and it was like the BJJ gis where the skirt of it didn't go below the belt line all that much. Should I just go and buy a size thats supposed to be too small for me?

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
Basically yes. I wear an A2 which in theory is way too small for me but in reality fits about right. I also buy brands that are cut for longer people and avoid the ones that are known for boxier types.

Bjj companies have gotten wise to this issue and started doing things like: offering long and wide versions of each size, posting the exact size of their gis so you can measure yourself to compare, and offering mismatch pants/jackets if you have long/short legs.

I don't know if any judogi companies do that. All else fails, many companies offer custom cut gis that are not terribly expensive, but you have to provide measurments and wait a while for them to get them out to you.

Also don't underestimate what grappling a lot can do to your body. Fat guys get smaller, skinny guys get bigger its magic! I never had any luck gaining muscle when I was lifting but I've seen steady gains with bjj.

Julio Cesar Fatass
Jul 24, 2007

"...."

Xguard86 posted:

Also don't underestimate what grappling a lot can do to your body. Fat guys get smaller, skinny guys get bigger its magic! I never had any luck gaining muscle when I was lifting but I've seen steady gains with bjj.

I've had awful pipe-cleaner arms all my life, even when I was powerlifting. Now that I'm doing nothing but iso-extreme "lifting" and sub grappling, they're actually getting bigger. :iia:

Also, last night I found out my coach worked some with Mark Coleman back in his PRIDE days. Apparently wrestling with him is like trying to double-leg the Chrysler building.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

fatherdog posted:

I don't. Like I said, FILA no-gi will be in the Olympics long before BJJ ever is, and even that I doubt will happen any time soon.

I don't ever even see that happening unless the Olympics completely change their direction. They have been trying to pare down the number of competitors for several cycles now. When they added women's freestyle wrestling they cut weight classes from men's freestyle and greco to keep the total number of competitors the same. Adding any kind of no-gi submission grappling would likely require something similar.

Plus, as misguided as Judo's rule changes might be, a big part of their stated reason is to clearly differentiate itself from just being wrestling in a gi. The IJF fears that without that differientation there is a risk of Judo being cut from the games. Gi or no gi, the Olympics would likely just see BJJ as way to close to Judo.

Another thing to consider is how widespread BJJ is. The top competitors come from only a small handful of countries. To be considered for the Olympics BJJ needs to start having champions come from all over the world, not just parts of it.

Folkstyle wrestling if the best wrestling. Flowrestling does an amazing job covering all kinds of wrestling.

Their behind the scenes footage from last year's NCAA Finals is pretty cool. I'm assuming there isn't any footage of the actual wrestling since ESPN owns those rights.

Thoguh fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Feb 3, 2012

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Nierbo posted:

The guy that introduced me to Judo gave me his spare double weave gi for free (lucky me huh) but it was a bit tattered so I thought I'd treat myself to a new one seeing as I hit a year training a few months ago. The single weave was only 55 and I thought I'm not exactly a competition player yet so I'll just buy a single weave, but I loving hate it. The coach measured me and chose my size but it feels too big. It just feels loose and... sloppy somehow. No matter how tight I tie my belt the gi top just always comes out but with my double weave gi if I tied the belt the right way the top would never come out. Waste of 50 bucks really. Might give it to the local charity store and just buy a double weave.

Just put it in the dryer when you wash it until it has shrunk to fit, then air dry it going forward.

A single weave gi is going to feel much more pliable and sloppy than a double weave anyways, due to being a lot lighter fabric.

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?
Okay, thanks xguard and thoguh. I'll dryer that drat thing till its a tank top and if I'm still annoyed I'll get a double weave thats 'too small' but that I actually like. I'm getting my tat in a few days so no grappling or money for a while though :(

VV Oh yeah, didn't even think of that. I'll have to buy a white double weave next time so I have a blue and white double weave. I was teaching my fiance grip fighting last night actually seeing as I have two gis now. I'm not stupid enough to teach throws at my horribly amateurish level but its fun to work on reflexes.

Nierbo fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Feb 5, 2012

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Nierbo posted:

Okay, thanks xguard and thoguh. I'll dryer that drat thing till its a tank top and if I'm still annoyed I'll get a double weave thats 'too small' but that I actually like. I'm getting my tat in a few days so no grappling or money for a while though :(

Just don't shrink it so much that it isn't legal for competition.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
Crossposting from the Ask/Tell martial arts thread since I think it fits here

swmmrmanshen posted:

So the IJF finally has a good youtube page up filled with highlights from elite international tournaments. Worth checking out if you have any interest or curiosity as to what high level Judo looks like.

http://www.youtube.com/user/judo?feature=watch

Lots and lots of elite level Judo highlights. I believe they are also streaming the current Paris Grand Slam.

Highlights from the 2010 Paris Grand Slam

My dream announcer matchup would be Gus Johnson doing Judo at the Olympics with Neal Adams.

Thoguh fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Feb 4, 2012

Rids!
Aug 20, 2006

picture this if you will...

Thoguh posted:

Another thing to consider is how widespread BJJ is. The top competitors come from only a small handful of countries. To be considered for the Olympics BJJ needs to start having champions come from all over the world, not just parts of it.

This is a really good point.

Dante
Feb 8, 2003

Rids! posted:

This is a really good point.
Everyone knows that's one of the issues, and it's specifically one of the things that IBJJF has working on (along with competitive women's divisions). In the end it's one of the smallest obstacles for BJJ, because the explosive growth that BJJ has had since the 80s pretty much guarantees that's going to happen sooner or later.

Dante fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Feb 7, 2012

Ho Chi Meeeeee
Jun 13, 2008

let me shovel out your brains
hang my image in your skull
so I can be the vision
in your nightmares from now on
But if you think about it isn't wrestling almost in the same situation? All the good wrestlers forgive me if I'm wrong come from the US, Russsia/former Eastern Bloc and Japan currently I've noticed. I know that the UK is trying desperately hard to get back into the wrestling game but really I think big, populous countries like the US and Brazil will always dominate the medals stand.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Oh Em Gee posted:

But if you think about it isn't wrestling almost in the same situation? All the good wrestlers forgive me if I'm wrong come from the US, Russsia/former Eastern Bloc and Japan currently I've noticed. I know that the UK is trying desperately hard to get back into the wrestling game but really I think big, populous countries like the US and Brazil will always dominate the medals stand.

You're always going to have the most dominant come from the US due to it's collegiate backround.

Russia do well because it's a popular sport and Japan has the history. That being said there is a catch wrestling following in Germany and I think that a country like China could find its way into the sport fairly quickly. Add Canada to the mix there too.

It's not like that's a bad thing. I mean poo poo look at the swimming events almost every year it's Australia, USA, China and the occasional brit/euro or south african thrown in out of the blue, it's not like the event shouldn't be included because a certain country dominates.

I think there was an aussie who won a blue belt division somewhere along the way in the past year in a global BJJ comp.

The sport is popular enough that I think we'd see good representation from a lot of the world if it were included.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
Here's the country breakdown for Judo and wrestling medals in the Olympics. Data stolen from the Olympics Database

Judo:
code:
Country 	G 	S 	B 	TOT
Japan	        35	15	15	65
France	        10	8	19	37
South Korea	9	14	14	37
Cuba	        5	11	17	33
Soviet Union	7	5	15	27
Netherlands	4	2	13	19
China	        8	2	8	18
United Kingdom	0	7	9	16
Brazil	        2	3	10	15
Germany	        3	1	11	15
Italy	        3	3	6	12
Belgium	        2	1	7	10
United States	0	3	7	10
East Germany	1	2	6	9
West Germany	1	4	3	8
Poland	        3	3	2	8
Russia	        0	3	5	8
Hungary	        1	2	4	7
North Korea	1	2	4	7
Spain	        3	1	2	6
Austria	        2	2	1	5
Georgia	        2	1	2	5
Mongolia	1	1	3	5
Canada	        0	2	2	4
Romania	        1	0	3	4
Switzerland	1	1	2	4
Bulgaria	0	1	2	3
Estonia   	0	0	3	3
Israel	        0	1	2	3
Ukraine	        0	1	2	3
Uzbekistan	0	2	1	3
Algeria	        0	1	1	2
Australia	0	0	2	2
Azerbaijan	1	0	1	2
Belarus   	1	0	1	2
Egypt	        0	1	1	2
Slovenia	0	0	2	2
Turkey	        1	0	1	2
Yugoslavia	0	0	2	2
Argentina	0	0	1	1
Czechoslovakia 	0	0	1	1
Greece	        1	0	0	1
Iceland	        0	0	1	1
Kazakhstan	0	1	0	1
Kyrgyzstan	0	0	1	1
Latvia	        0	0	1	1
Portugal	0	0	1	1
Slovak Rep.	0	1	0	1
Tajikistan	0	0	1	1
Wrestling:
code:
Country 	G 	S 	B 	TOT
Soviet Union	68	36	28	132
United States	50	43	32	125
Finland	        27	29	29	85
Sweden   	28	27	26	81
Bulgaria	16	31	20	67
Turkey	        28	16	13	57
Japan	        24	17	15	56
Hungary  	19	15	18	52
Russia  	21	11	8	40
South Korea	10	11	13	34
Romania	        7	8	17	32
Germany	        4	16	11	31
Iran	        5	12	14	31
Poland	        5	9	10	24
Cuba	        6	5	6	17
United Kingdom	3	4	10	17
France	        4	4	8	16
Yugoslavia 	4	6	6	16
Czechoslovakia 	1	7	7	15
Canada   	2	6	6	14
Switzerland	4	4	6	14
Italy    	5	3	5	13
Ukraine	        3	4	6	13
Denmark	        2	3	7	12
Greece	        1	3	7	11
Kazakhstan	1	4	6	11
Estonia	        5	1	4	10
West Germany	1	4	4	9
Georgia  	2	1	6	9
North Korea	3	2	4	9
Belarus  	0	3	5	8
Mongolia	0	4	4	8
Azerbaijan	2	3	2	7
China	        2	2	3	7
East Germany	2	3	2	7
Italy    	2	1	4	7
Austria	        1	2	3	6
Egypt	        2	2	2	6
Uzbekistan	3	3	0	6
Norway	        2	2	1	5
Armenia	        1	1	2	4
Belgium	        0	3	1	4
Australia	0	1	2	3
Lebanon	        0	1	2	3
Germany(pre 1912)1	1	0	2
India	        0	0	2	2
Kyrgyzstan	0	1	1	2
Colombia	0	0	1	1
Latvia	        0	1	0	1
Lithuania	0	0	1	1
Moldova	        0	0	1	1
Mexico	        0	1	0	1
Macedonia	0	0	1	1
Pakistan	0	0	1	1
Slovak Rep.	0	0	1	1
Syria	        0	1	0	1
Tajikistan	0	1	0	1
If I can find an easy way to get the data, I'll remake this with just post 1992. Keep in mind that this data is only the Olympics. If you instead included data from the Olympics and World Championships you would add many more countries.

Thoguh fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Feb 7, 2012

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Dante posted:

Everyone knows that's one of the issues, and it's specifically one of the things that IBJJF has working on (along with competitive women's divisions). In the end it's one of the smallest obstacles for BJJ, because the explosive growth that BJJ has had since the 80s pretty much guarantees that's going to happen sooner or later.

BJJ is the "it" martial art right now, but that doesn't mean it will be forever. I wouldn't assume that it is going to continue to grow at it's current rate long term. At some point BJJ will reach a peak and I'd be very surprised if that peak was higher than where Judo or Olympic Wrestling have been at the past few decades. Consider that sports like Rugby and Cricket, with huge multi-national followings, aren't Olympic Sports.

Dante
Feb 8, 2003

Thoguh posted:

BJJ is the "it" martial art right now, but that doesn't mean it will be forever. I wouldn't assume that it is going to continue to grow at it's current rate long term. At some point BJJ will reach a peak and I'd be very surprised if that peak was higher than where Judo or Olympic Wrestling have been at the past few decades. Consider that sports like Rugby and Cricket, with huge multi-national followings, aren't Olympic Sports.
That sentence is in reply to "start having champions come from all over the world", which it will, just like Rugby and Cricket even though though Rugby isn't really popular outside of a few nations.

Thoguh posted:

Here's the country breakdown for Judo and wrestling medals in the Olympics.
Most sports are dominated by 5 countries or so, both for cultural and population size reasons. Just look at how incredibly skewed table tennis is.

Dante fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Feb 7, 2012

widunder
May 2, 2002

Dante posted:

That sentence is in reply to "start having champions come from all over the world", which it will, just like Rugby and Cricket even though though Rugby isn't really popular outside of a few nations.
In terms of number of countries (even if those countries just happen to be old Commonwealth nations and France), I'd say rugby is pretty popular in a bunch of different places. I think the world championships is the third most watched event behind the football world cup and the Summer olympics.

Dante
Feb 8, 2003

Also just checked and Rugby Sevens was admitted as an Olympic sport in 2009 (after Rugby was taken out in 1924) and will be a part of the 2016 games.

nemoulette posted:

In terms of number of countries (even if those countries just happen to be old Commonwealth nations and France), I'd say rugby is pretty popular in a bunch of different places. I think the world championships is the third most watched event behind the football world cup and the Summer olympics.
I don't know much about Rugby, but the little I've watched it looks like 7 or so nations pretty much completely dominate the sport. That's a pretty big contrast with cricket which is massively popular in pretty much every commonwealth country.

Dante fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Feb 7, 2012

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
Here are the medal counts from just the 2008 Olympics.

Judo:
code:
Nation		Gold	Silver	Bronze	Total
Japan  		4 	1 	2 	7
China 		3 	0 	1 	4
South Korea	1 	2 	1 	4
Azerbaijan 	1 	0 	1 	2
Georgia	 	1 	0 	0 	1
Germany		1 	0 	0 	1
Italy 		1 	0 	0 	1
Mongolia 	1 	0 	0 	1
Romania  	1 	0 	0 	1
Cuba  		0 	3 	3 	6
France 		0 	2 	2 	4
Netherlands 	0 	1 	4 	5
North Korea 	0 	1 	2 	3
Algeria 	0 	1 	1 	2
Uzbekistan 	0 	1 	1 	2
Austria 	0 	1 	0 	1
Kazakhstan 	0 	1 	0 	1
Brazil  	0 	0 	3 	3
Argentina 	0 	0 	1 	1
Egypt 		0 	0 	1 	1
Slovenia 	0 	0 	1 	1
Switzerland 	0 	0 	1 	1
Tajikistan	0 	0 	1 	1
Ukraine 	0 	0 	1 	1
United States 	0 	0 	1 	1
Wrestling:
code:
Nation 		Gold 	Silver 	Bronze 	Total
Russia 		6 	3 	2 	11
Japan		2 	2 	2 	6
Georgia 	2 	0 	2 	4
China  		1 	2 	0 	3
Uzbekistan 	1 	1 	0 	2
United States 	1 	0 	2 	3
Canada		1 	0 	1 	2
France 		1 	0 	1 	2
Turkey  	1 	0 	1 	2
Cuba 		1 	0 	0 	1
Italy		1 	0 	0 	1
Ukraine		0 	2 	3 	5
Azerbaijan 	0 	2 	2 	4
Kazakhstan	0 	1 	4 	5
Bulgaria	0 	1 	3 	4
Kyrgyzstan	0 	1 	1 	2
Germany 	0 	1 	0 	1
Hungary 	0 	1 	0 	1
Tajikistan 	0 	1 	0 	1
Armenia 	0 	0 	2 	2
Belarus 	0 	0 	2 	2
Colombia 	0 	0 	1 	1
South Korea  	0 	0 	1 	1
Lithuania	0 	0 	1 	1
Poland		0 	0 	1 	1
Iran 		0 	0 	1 	1
India 		0 	0 	1 	1
Slovakia 	0 	0 	1 	1
In both cases, that's at least 20 different countries winning medals. Also, countries from most regions of the world.

I like BJJ, but unless the Olympics do a complete 180 on how they run things, the chances of BJJ ever being an Olympic sport is zero. It had a chance at being an exhibition sport in 2016, like Judo was in the Tokyo Olympics. But that chance has now passed.

Thoguh fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Feb 7, 2012

Dante
Feb 8, 2003

Thoguh posted:

I like BJJ, but unless the Olympics do a complete 180 on how they run things, the chances of BJJ ever being an Olympic sport is zero.
If you like BJJ the last thing you'd want it to be is an olympic sport.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

I agree. The olympics is not kind to combat sports. Better to just grow bjj independently and let it ruin itself.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Xguard86 posted:

I agree. The olympics is not kind to combat sports.

There is a lot of truth to that. As much as people bitch about the IJF and their rule changes and bungling, FILA makes them look completely upright and competent.

Ho Chi Meeeeee
Jun 13, 2008

so I can be the vision
By the by, has anyone noticed that the Aspull Wrestling Club in Wigan has decided to teach catch wrestling again?

For those that don't know the Aspull Wrestling Club is the continuation of Billy Riley's club which produced people like Roy Woods, Karl Gotch, Billy Robinson and Jack Dempsey to name a few.

I'm kind of not shocked by this, it doesn't surprise me there is always a group of people who look at what is popular and just throw their hands up and do something else because they want to be unique. Any canadian goons who want to see a bunch of self titled catch wrestlers go at it in a tournament should see the one in Quebec that's happening the 25th and report back.

Ho Chi Meeeeee fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Feb 7, 2012

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Oh Em Gee posted:

it doesn't surprise me there is always a group of people who look at what is popular and just throw their hands up and do something else because they want to be unique.

That's pretty much modern catch-wrestling in America in a nutshell.

Dante
Feb 8, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NyHk03T0tBM
This will always be the funniest.

Ho Chi Meeeeee
Jun 13, 2008

so I can be the vision

Dante posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NyHk03T0tBM
This will always be the funniest.

He really got hosed over by his disease and pretty much is now almost fully deaf and poo poo but still L o loving L

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
People who train, have any of you heard of Twisted Fitness in Madison? They run inside of a weightlifting gym, and since I am looking for both a place to work out and a place to train BJJ and Muay Thai again, it might be a convenient place to kill two birds with one stone. Their site lists them as a member of Alliance BJJ, but there's no instructor info.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

alliance is legit, I don't know how free they are with affiliation though. I would call and ask what the instructor's name is, then take a look and see if anything weird comes up on google. A lot of respectable guys teach out of gyms, especially if they have day jobs.

Julio Cesar Fatass
Jul 24, 2007

"...."
I got my first tournament in March! Openweight, all experience levels. gently caress it, let's see what happens.

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!
Today I wore spats and hit that reverse calf crusher.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

niethan posted:

who gotch ya

Who Gotch Ya
Jun 27, 2003

streetdoctors.com
Yes, we are hybrid rappers.

niethan posted:

:hfive:
It's a step-over toe hold
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SeV_fWUU5bk

CivilDisobedience
Dec 27, 2008
Achilles lock to heel hook to knee bar to half boston crab to reverse calf crusher to back take is literally the best progression.

CivilDisobedience fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Feb 10, 2012

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

CivilDisobedience posted:

Achilles lock to heel hook to knee bar to half boston crab to reverse calf crusher to back take is literally the best progression.

Now I know what I'm gonna be teaching in class next week!

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
This weekend I jumped into the Philly NAGA tournament since I was going down to Philly the night before anyway so I figured I might as well weigh in and get some matches. Here is a fairly boring match that I lost (I am the goof with the red ankle-band)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KCDFTqMaCQA&hd=1

Things I notice on watching -
  • Letting him sweep me to try to lock up the d'arce was probably a bad decision, but I thought I was gonna get it and I've always been stubborn about trying to bulldog submissions even when they might not quite be there.

• I should have pushed the pace way more, I wasn't tired at all and he was breathing hard, but I didn't really start fighting with any kind of urgency till the match was nearly over, even though I knew I was down on points.

• I stayed seated because it seemed like after he stood up he was trying not to engage, and I thought the ref would be more likely to call him for stalling if he kept disengaging from my guard than if we were both working for takedowns. In retrospect this was a bad decision; there wasn't really a big gap in our wrestling and I probably could have chased him down and made something happen better if I'd gotten back up. I need to have more confidence in my takedowns; when I actually go for them I usually get them, but I have a tendency to play very defensively and not go for anything on the feet.

• I tried to bait him into going for another leglock at the end so I could counter-leglock him, but he had a better feel for how much time was left than I did and hung back until there wasn't enough time left for me to counter. I should've started doing that earlier.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
Your first 3 bullet points were the first things I noticed. It seemed like you were rolling at a training in the gym kind of pace not a competition pace. I felt like you really could have taken advantage of his tendency to disengage and separate when something failed for him but instead you took a more passive tack. Also lingering in that inside collar tie while he has a same side outside collar tie is of course not a great thing as evidenced by that flying triangle attempt.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Yuns posted:

It seemed like you were rolling at a training in the gym kind of pace not a competition pace.

Yeah, this is pretty accurate. This is actually the first time I've competed in grappling since like 2005, so that was probably a big factor in that sense.

dokomoy
May 21, 2004
Do you feel the match was scored correctly? I know NAGA rules are(or at least were) non-standard. Early in the match your opponent attempts a toe-hold from top and you don't receive any points for coming on top, however later in the match when you get swept while looking for the darce it looks like your opponent gets 2(and maybe you get a point as well? I couldn't quite see).

Beyond that I agree with everything you and Yuns said and don't have much to add.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

dokomoy posted:

Do you feel the match was scored correctly?

No, but if it had been scored correctly I still would have lost so I didn't really feel it was worth getting into.

That referee was pretty poo poo, though. At one point my opponent actually had to push him out of the way. Scoring or not scoring questionable points is one thing but I feel like getting the gently caress out of the way of the competitors should be a fairly basic reffing skill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CivilDisobedience
Dec 27, 2008

fatherdog posted:

This weekend I jumped into the Philly NAGA tournament since I was going down to Philly the night before anyway so I figured I might as well weigh in and get some matches. Here is a fairly boring match that I lost (I am the goof with the red ankle-band)

With respect, you're clearly have excellent positional awareness, but you're perpetually tensing your core, and it's completely immobilizing your hips relative to your shoulders. You're basically not taking advantage of your most important fulcrum!

Getting specific:
Use this instead of trying to fight against his deep half guard underhook http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_JHMQoZ4M9Q&feature=fvwrel

If you're gonna keep your distance and gripfight from seated guard, give up on the butterfly hooks and do this kind of stuff http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RmqIAXU9TWE

Finally, in standup loosen up so you can easily slide your hip up against/under theirs and you'll see a huge difference. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8DYc4OQx3Xk (1:50-2:50)