Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.
I'm almost positive I've read The Mormon Machine talk about doing sequels for both. They both ended in such a way that there's a lot of the world left to explore and enemies lurking on the horizon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
Subterranean didn't acquire the ebook rights? Someone is bad at negotiation.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

I'm just glad we'll get an ebook, otherwise I wouldn't be able to read it.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Here is whats on deck for Brandon to write. The 17th Shard has put together a good list and description of each. In fact, up till I read this just now, I had no idea that Stormlight book 2 was switching over from a Dalinar centric book called "The High Prince of War", to a Shallan centric book called "The Book of Endless Pages". :stare:

http://coppermind.17thshard.com/wiki/Unpublished_works

17thshard.com posted:

The Liar of Partinel
Set on the world of Yolen.
Features a character called Midius who will later become Hoid.

Dragonsteel
Written as part of Brandon Sanderson's Masters Thesis when working towards a Master's in Creative Writing. One copy is currently held in the Harold B Lee Library at Brigham Young University. SUPPOSEDLY IT WAS STOLEN NEVER TO BE SEEN AGAIN!!
Brandon has stated that it was not his best work. He plans to rewrite and publish them after the completion of The Stormlight Archive.
Set on Yolen several hundred years after the events of The Liar of Partinel.

White Sand
A cosmere trilogy, taking place on Taldain. This was the first novel Brandon ever wrote. Later, he rewrote it, and he says it was good enough to get him his agent, Joshua Bilmes.

The Silence Divine
A cosmere novel set on an unknown planet in the same system as Roshar.
Not much is known about this only that its a sound based magic system kind of like how Warbreaker was color based.

The Aether of Night
Follows a character named Raeth as he pretends to be his identical twin, taking over the throne of the Imperium and attempting to lead his people to victory against a foe they don't understand and have little hope of defeating.

Star's End
ABOUT WHAT?
As you can tell from their entry here, nobody knows anything about this other than a name.

Forthcoming Novels
These works have been announced as books Brandon Sanderson plans to write and publish in the future however details may be subject to change.

The Rithmatist
A steampunk novel with a chalk based magic system. Planned for early 2012.
This is not set in the cosmere. Its Young Adult like the Alcatraz books.

Stormlight 2
:siren: Initially planned to be titled Highprince of War however Brandon is considering focusing more on Shallan Davar as a viewpoint character as Kaladin was in The Way of Kings making the planned title inappropriate. The new planned title is "The Book of Endless Pages". Planned for late 2012.

Elantris 2
Set 10 years after the events of Elantris. This book will follow several of the minor characters from the first novel. Planned to be written after the release of the third book in The Stormlight Archive.

Second Mistborn Trilogy
The second in a planned set of three trilogies. Takes place in an urban setting with a 20th century technology level.

Nightblood
Sequel to Warbreaker. The second of two books.
They don't have an entry for Nightblood yet, but if you re-read the epilogue to Warbreaker, it should be obvious what the plot will be. Nightblood is the sentient sword that Vasher keeps with him. Can't loving wait for this book.

Cartoon Man fucked around with this message at 12:31 on Feb 4, 2012

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

mossyfisk posted:

Subterranean didn't acquire the ebook rights? Someone is bad at negotiation.

They don't really work like that, they're not a traditional publisher. They make their money from selling highly priced limited editions, often of stuff that's already been put out in paperback by other publishers. Ebook rights would be worthless to them and won't cut into their profits on the limited editions in the slightest.

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

Stormlight 2 focusing on Shallan (and therefore also Jasnah) makes me even more excited.

I don't understand that explanation though, what does Kaladin being in WoK have to do with the 2nd book being named Highprince of War? That title suggests a focus on Dalinar. Then again Way of Kings suggests a focus on Dalinar but that's not how it turned out.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

Conduit for Sale! posted:

Stormlight 2 focusing on Shallan (and therefore also Jasnah) makes me even more excited.

I don't understand that explanation though, what does Kaladin being in WoK have to do with the 2nd book being named Highprince of War? That title suggests a focus on Dalinar. Then again Way of Kings suggests a focus on Dalinar but that's not how it turned out.

You misread it a bit. They meant that Shallan would be the primary viewpoint in 2, like Kaladin was in WoK. Initially, in several interviews and blog posts Brandon said that book 2 would be focused primarily around Dalinar, hence the Highprince of War title.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Conduit for Sale! posted:

This is a giant loving relief.

Maytag
Nov 4, 2006

it's enough that it all be filled with that majestic sadness that is the pleasure of tragedy.
I found the Shallan chapters pretty boring and her word play was annoying as hell. A whole book where she's the focus is going to be a drag.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

Maytag posted:

I found the Shallan chapters pretty boring and her word play was annoying as hell. A whole book where she's the focus is going to be a drag.

I dunno, his humor got a little bit better in Alloy of Law.
See: Tinfoil Hats, High Imperial, "It lets me add two and two an' get a pickle", etc.

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

I love scholar characters especially if they're engaged in scholarly pursuits, so yeah. I liked Shallan. Sanderson's jokes are pretty bad though. They're like what some acne-ridden chess club nerd in middle school would say in response to a jock making fun of them.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Shallan was my least favorite of all the POV characters in WoK, but she started building positive momentum once the Sanderson Avalanche started. I think her story has the potential to go to some interesting places.

mythicknight
Jan 28, 2009

my thick night

Finally picked up WoK and reading it now. Just finished Part One. Kaladin is pretty cool.

Koryk
Jun 5, 2007
Just finished a re-read of Well of Ascension. Even the second time the end twist is just so good.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Koryk posted:

Just finished a re-read of Well of Ascension. Even the second time the end twist is just so good.

The best part is watching it coming, such as the text that Sazed and Tindwyl is studying gradually changes. Wait a minute, "Holy Witness", WHAT?

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

I've now read everything Sanderson has put out, and I need something new to read. I've read the Wheel of Time series twice, and I refuse to read any more GRRM. Any suggestions? I really enjoyed Sanderson's stuff.

Clinton1011
Jul 11, 2007
If you want something a little darker I would suggest The First Law trilogy by Joe Abercrombie. It starts with The Blade Itself.
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3293685

If you want something lighter I'd suggest The Dresden Files by Jim Butcher.
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3417391

There is a thread for both here in the Book Barn.

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.

Clinton1011 posted:

If you want something a little darker I would suggest The First Law trilogy by Joe Abercrombie. It starts with The Blade Itself.
This is absolutely worthwhile for anyone that likes fantasy. It's darker, but unlike GRRM (in my opinion) it's also a consistently fun read thanks to the characterization, humor, variety, and Abercrombie's ability to show staples of the genre in a new light.

Battles are chaotic and clumsy. Heroics are mocked, and are usually the result of extreme circumstances, with imperfect outcomes. Characters are realistically selfish and concerned about death. Everyone's a bit of a bastard, most of them funny, and a few only seem "good" because they acknowledge the terrible things they've done.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

I would reccomend Malazan, but that is a commitment that is not for everybody. Go read the OP of the thread and decide for yourself if you can handle it or not. There is no shame is walking away from it.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3393708

Here's why...

:psyduck:

Clinton1011
Jul 11, 2007

Corin Tucker's Stalker posted:

It's darker, but unlike GRRM

Also no rape like GRRM.

soru
Apr 27, 2003

The Red God has his due, sweet girl, and only death may pay for life.
While I really liked the First Law trilogy, when I read one of the followup standalone books (Best Served Cold), it made me want to kill myself. So dark and depressing. It turned me off on Abercrombie.

Popular Human
Jul 17, 2005

and if it's a lie, terrorists made me say it

Cartoon Man posted:

I would reccomend Malazan, but that is a commitment that is not for everybody. Go read the OP of the thread and decide for yourself if you can handle it or not. There is no shame is walking away from it.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3393708

Here's why...

:psyduck:

It's also worth mentioning that Sanderson himself is a big fan of the Malazan series. I'm reading the fifth book right now, and I really like it. It is, however, a lot more involved than anything Sanderson's written - lots of stuff about the books and their universe won't make sense at first.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I ate your Mahler avatar! Hahahaha!

Popular Human posted:

It's also worth mentioning that Sanderson himself is a big fan of the Malazan series. I'm reading the fifth book right now, and I really like it. It is, however, a lot more involved than anything Sanderson's written - lots of stuff about the books and their universe won't make sense at first.

My brother recommended the series to me with exactly this caveat. If something's not making sense, just roll with it. That's how I read the first book.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

Kruller posted:

I've now read everything Sanderson has put out, and I need something new to read. I've read the Wheel of Time series twice, and I refuse to read any more GRRM. Any suggestions? I really enjoyed Sanderson's stuff.

Patrick Rothfuss - The Name of the Wind (Kingkiller Chronicles, Day 1)

It's a trilogy with the first two books out. Not as complex (or dark) as GRRM, but still well crafted epic fantasy. SA thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3365216

Captain Greed
Mar 12, 2010
Also the gooniest series ever.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

fordan posted:

Patrick Rothfuss - The Name of the Wind (Kingkiller Chronicles, Day 1)

It's a trilogy with the first two books out. Not as complex (or dark) as GRRM, but still well crafted epic fantasy. SA thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3365216

Kvothe is a terrible self-insert ultra-goon who literally can do no wrong and is perfect in every way.

I'm not saying the first book wasn't entertainingly written, but the author is way way too in love with his character.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I ate your Mahler avatar! Hahahaha!

IRQ posted:

Kvothe is a terrible self-insert ultra-goon who literally can do no wrong and is perfect in every way.

I'm not saying the first book wasn't entertainingly written, but the author is way way too in love with his character.

In some ways I agree, but he definitely has flaws. However, this topic is always one of the main points of discussion in the Rothfuss thread, so I won't go into it here. :)

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

Captain Greed posted:

Also the gooniest series ever.

I hope I didn't recommend the series to a non-goon! :ohdear:

Seriously, it's not that bad (although I can see why people would say he has too few flaw). Or maybe I'm just way too goony myself. I don't see Kvothe as any worse than, say, Harry Potter or the like. Like HP, a big draw of the books is discovering the world the author built. There's also an implied flaw in/failure of Kvothe that puts him in the position he's in where you meet him in the first book which is presumably going to crop up eventually (I hope).

Sanderson link: I discovered Rothfuss when I saw him on a panel at Worldcon this past year. He wasn't originally scheduled to be on the panel, but Sanderson pulled out his cell phone to "cast Summon Pat Rothfuss" and it worked.

Oh god, I am that goony. :ohdear: And so is Brandon.

soru
Apr 27, 2003

The Red God has his due, sweet girl, and only death may pay for life.
The Name of the Wind should definitely be read by anyone who's into modern fantasy. For whatever reason, goons are currently obsessed with talking about "self insertion" in all books but ignore them and form your own opinion.

syphon
Jan 1, 2001
I just finished Lies of Locke Lamora by Scott Lynch and absolutely loved it. I wondered why there wasn't a thread around here about it (although I vaguely remember one in the past, maybe it got archived). I recommend that.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

syphon posted:

I just finished Lies of Locke Lamora by Scott Lynch and absolutely loved it. I wondered why there wasn't a thread around here about it (although I vaguely remember one in the past, maybe it got archived). I recommend that.

Probably because book two (of a planned series of seven) came out five years ago and there's no sign of the next one.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Kreeblah posted:

Probably because book two (of a planned series of seven) came out five years ago and there's no sign of the next one.

The next one should be out this year.

Velius
Feb 27, 2001

Ornamented Death posted:

The next one should be out this year.

The author is having serious personal issues. It's been 'coming out this year' for like 3 years. It's unfortunate, but given what's going on I wouldn't recommend them if you want a completed story. Also the first book is significantly better than the second, or at least dramatically different in setting/tone.

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

Cartoon Man posted:

I hate that image because all the ICE and B/KB books make it seem even more complicated than it really is, when the ICE and B/KB books are optional reads at best. To use for reference I made this a while ago that takes out the ICE and B/KB book so your eyes don't poo poo their pants whenever they look at it.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Velius posted:

The author is having serious personal issues. It's been 'coming out this year' for like 3 years. It's unfortunate, but given what's going on I wouldn't recommend them if you want a completed story. Also the first book is significantly better than the second, or at least dramatically different in setting/tone.

I'm aware of Lynch's depression. I'm also aware that he's made a lot of progress with getting it under control and that he stated he would not even talk about the next book until he was quite certain it was ready (or nearly so), and his page now indicates it will be out this year.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Ornamented Death posted:

I'm aware of Lynch's depression. I'm also aware that he's made a lot of progress with getting it under control and that he stated he would not even talk about the next book until he was quite certain it was ready (or nearly so), and his page now indicates it will be out this year.

Huh. Fair enough. He usually announces things on his Livejournal account, but I guess he either hasn't yet for this or I just missed it. I really hope this actually happens. The teaser content he released for it makes it sound like it's going to be awesome (the girl that Locke keeps moping about whose name I've forgotten by now became a mage and she's apparently going to be a prominent character).

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Here's a Brandon Sanderson interview from his trip in Taiwan.
http://focustaiwan.tw/ShowNews/WebNews_Detail.aspx?Type=aART&ID=201202050009

quote:

On every visit abroad, Sanderson said, he takes notes and tries to write down a story that inspired him, to be used as a "seed" for later stories.

Somewhere in there is a GRRM joke...nah too easy.

Cartoon Man fucked around with this message at 13:26 on Feb 8, 2012

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Mahlertov Cocktail posted:

In some ways I agree, but he definitely has flaws. However, this topic is always one of the main points of discussion in the Rothfuss thread, so I won't go into it here. :)

I haven't read the books in question, but are flaws really flaws if they never come into play? It's like Karen Traviss telling us the Null Arc clone commandos are tremendously damaged beings but in practice they're perfect soldiers, perfect sons, and perfect husbands.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
Can my flaw be that I'm too sexy? If so I'll add another couple of perk points on my character sheet to spend it on damage mods.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fallorn
Apr 14, 2005
I believe every time Sanderson goes on an international flight we will get a new novella. This is not a bad thing it just seems to be he goes on trip we get new thing to read. I also imagine him going OK I need to right 6-10k words today and doing it every day. He is a motherfucking machine.