Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

You never know, he could have a stack of 93 SP Authentic Jeter rookies or a 90 Topps Frank Thomas misprint! :smith:

Haha that would rule.
VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV

Boinks fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Feb 7, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
A giant stack of gently caress FACEs

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

Boinks posted:

You never know, he could have a stack of 93 SP Authentic Jeter rookies or a 90 Topps Frank Thomas misprint! :smith:

Haha that would rule.
VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV

I did a search for that Thomas card and came across this thread where they discover some kind of printing malfunction (involving water and the press I guess) that screwed up a handful of 1990 Topps cards. I haven't actually read the whole thread yet (I'm on page 14) but it's fun to see the discoveries as they happen in the thread.

http://forums.collectors.com/messageview.cfm?catid=11&threadid=709331&STARTPAGE=1

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...

OctoberBlues posted:

I did a search for that Thomas card and came across this thread where they discover some kind of printing malfunction (involving water and the press I guess) that screwed up a handful of 1990 Topps cards. I haven't actually read the whole thread yet (I'm on page 14) but it's fun to see the discoveries as they happen in the thread.

http://forums.collectors.com/messageview.cfm?catid=11&threadid=709331&STARTPAGE=1

I'm confused why on ebay sometimes this card goes for $1000+ and sometimes it is $20. What's the difference?

purkey
Dec 5, 2003

I hate the 90s

Bigass Moth posted:

I'm confused why on ebay sometimes this card goes for $1000+ and sometimes it is $20. What's the difference?

The $20 ones might be the 2010 reprint that is usually intentionally confusingly listed.

theacox
Jun 8, 2010

You can't be serious.
As someone who basically quit collecting about 15 years ago and doesn't know much of the story about what happened with Upper Deck other than what little I see here, I'd like to know more. Anyone have any links to a semi-concise and somewhat-truthful version of the story?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

theacox posted:

As someone who basically quit collecting about 15 years ago and doesn't know much of the story about what happened with Upper Deck other than what little I see here, I'd like to know more. Anyone have any links to a semi-concise and somewhat-truthful version of the story?
They got hit with several big blows at once. First MLB dropped them from having a baseball card license anymore a couple of years ago, and actually sued them for copyright infringement when they used some logos in some of the last UD baseball cards produced with them.

Then there was a massive suit over the company counterfeiting Yu-Gi-Oh cards, which pissed off Konami, and there was some kind of out of court settlement where it sounds like UD had to pay a substantial sum.

I see there was, on top of all of that, a suit by Topps alleging that UD stole their card designs from the 1970s for a 2009 product of some kind. Haven't seen much about that though.

Overall, they just got hammered with significant lawsuits due to really shady dealings by former executives, and the company's barely hanging on these days. I believe they only have an NHL license now.

http://www.aolnews.com/2010/02/02/mlb-files-trademark-infringement-lawsuit-against-upper-deck/

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...

FlamingLiberal posted:

They got hit with several big blows at once. First MLB dropped them from having a baseball card license anymore a couple of years ago, and actually sued them for copyright infringement when they used some logos in some of the last UD baseball cards produced with them.

Then there was a massive suit over the company counterfeiting Yu-Gi-Oh cards, which pissed off Konami, and there was some kind of out of court settlement where it sounds like UD had to pay a substantial sum.

I see there was, on top of all of that, a suit by Topps alleging that UD stole their card designs from the 1970s for a 2009 product of some kind. Haven't seen much about that though.

Overall, they just got hammered with significant lawsuits due to really shady dealings by former executives, and the company's barely hanging on these days. I believe they only have an NHL license now.

http://www.aolnews.com/2010/02/02/mlb-files-trademark-infringement-lawsuit-against-upper-deck/

How did they counterfiet Yu-Gi-Oh cards? To me that seems like the most interesting story.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Bigass Moth posted:

How did they counterfiet Yu-Gi-Oh cards? To me that seems like the most interesting story.
I find this page ironic:

http://ud.upperdeck.com/fraud/fraud_news.aspx

It's a bunch of press releases talking about how in the early 2000s UD was trying to stop counterfeiting of Yu-Gi-Oh cards. So I guess they were just eliminating their competition in this racket?

Here, I found a good article about UD's problems with this case, as well as the problem they've had for years with putting forgeries of rare autographs in card sets and calling them authentic.

It specifically says that UD was having these Yu-Gi-Oh cards printed in China and then putting them into packs of other, real cards (since they were just printing the good ones). What a mess. It does make mention of reports that UD was counterfeiting Canadian Hockey cards back in the early '90s as well, so this isn't new.

http://www.examiner.com/internation...eral-court-says

theacox
Jun 8, 2010

You can't be serious.
Anyone know when the Topps Golden Giveaway site is set to open?

Anton Chigurh
Mar 18, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

theacox posted:

Supposedly mid month (any day now), but Topps is notorious for having web site issues with their promotions, so it could be a lot later.

Hopefully it will be better than last year's Diamond Giveaway crap. Trading virtual rings? Old vintage cards in bad condition? Bah...I think they could have done better.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Spork Heidelberg posted:

Supposedly mid month (any day now), but Topps is notorious for having web site issues with their promotions, so it could be a lot later.

Hopefully it will be better than last year's Diamond Giveaway crap. Trading virtual rings? Old vintage cards in bad condition? Bah...I think they could have done better.
Topps has to clean out all of their closets SOMEHOW.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Yeah I had my cards delivered a few weeks ago and half of them where damaged. I should have just traded them for the die-cuts. One of them even had glue on the back like it was glued to a scrapbook at one time.

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug
My diamond giveaway stuff was in good shape, though I didn't get anything too cool. Best I got was a '61 Dave Wickersham and a '95 (I think) Trevor Hoffman, which isn't that cool except that card is the last number 7 made by Topps that isn't a Mantle. An old Mel Queen too, not sure what year.

And I got them for free, so I really can't complain.

Anyone going to try the Museum set that's going to come out? It's 170-200 for 1 on-card Autograph, 1 Autographed Relic card, 1 Jumbo Relic card, and 1 Quad Relic card. I might be tempted.

Though I should probably finish off last year's Bowman baseball. So many of the topps 100 missing.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Antifreeze Head posted:

Anyone going to try the Museum set that's going to come out? It's 170-200 for 1 on-card Autograph, 1 Autographed Relic card, 1 Jumbo Relic card, and 1 Quad Relic card. I might be tempted.

Though I should probably finish off last year's Bowman baseball. So many of the topps 100 missing.

Looking over the checklist (that they've released), I'll probably just get an Elvis Andrus auto off ebay.

Anton Chigurh
Mar 18, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

theacox posted:

The Topps Golden Giveaway is now live.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

I can't decide if I want to sell my codes this year. Anyone know the odds for getting a card?

Anton Chigurh
Mar 18, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
I don't know the odds, but I got a card (Ryan Howard) with my third code. I only had four codes to redeem and I got one of each type of coin and the Howard card.

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

Boinks posted:

I can't decide if I want to sell my codes this year. Anyone know the odds for getting a card?

If you have, say, a couple of cases worth, I'd seriously consider entering them. On the other hand if I had just a few boxes worth or a half case or whatever, I'd probably just sell them.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

I got about 10 codes. I'll have to check if there's a Dave Winfield card this year, if so I'll try and unlock a card to trade for it.

edit--> Entered 15 codes and didn't get a single card, gently caress this promotion.

Boinks fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Feb 15, 2012

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Whenever I feel like buying a high-end product I end up going here: http://www.youtube.com/user/chri5784 and watching a few breaks. which clears it right up. I just know the one pack of Tier One (for example) I could afford would be the one I just saw get opened where he gets autos of Dillon Gee and Brandon Beachy

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

Buying high end product is most often similar to flushing money down the toilet.

But hey, it's fun, and you can't win if you don't play, right?

But, yeah, that's one of the reasons Topps Chrome is always one of my favorite products. Cards always look spiffy, the price is pretty cheap, and you're going to get two rookie autos per box. No, it isn't the greatest "investment" opportunity when it comes to cards, but that isn't why I'm a collector.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

JohnWilkesGoonth posted:

Whenever I feel like buying a high-end product I end up going here: http://www.youtube.com/user/chri5784 and watching a few breaks. which clears it right up.

Asking as someone that hasn't collected or bought a pack of cards since 1989, what did that box of cards run that guy?

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'

Beatnik-Filmstar posted:

Asking as someone that hasn't collected or bought a pack of cards since 1989, what did that box of cards run that guy?

MSRP on that looks like it was around $100.

Anton Chigurh
Mar 18, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Chief McHeath posted:

But, yeah, that's one of the reasons Topps Chrome is always one of my favorite products. Cards always look spiffy, the price is pretty cheap, and you're going to get two rookie autos per box. No, it isn't the greatest "investment" opportunity when it comes to cards, but that isn't why I'm a collector.

I bought 2011 Topps Chrome last year for the first time and was really disappointed about how many cards came out with vertical scratches on them, from the manufacturing process. Perhaps people look past that kind of damage on these cards when calling them near mint, but I can't. I'll never buy any of the Chrome products again.

Supprr
Mar 17, 2004
This thread brings back a lot of good memories. I started collecting cards around 1988. It was a fun hobby that I shared with my dad since he has been collecting cards since the mid 1950's. He always tells me of 5 cent packs and ripping up his doubles since he had no use for them. He still kicks himself for it 60 years later. I have real fond memories of going to the card shows with him and buying cheap packs and going through the 1 cent baskets.

Card collecting became harder for me around 1994 as the prices of packs kept rising and I remember you just didn't get the same value out of the packs as you used to. Smaller packs and gimmick cards all drove me from the hobby although I still am trying to get a complete set of Topps cards from 1980-1989. I think I just need 1980-1983.

What ever happened to Score? How about Topps Stadium Club? These two were my favorite even though Stadium Club didn’t have the complete career stats on the backs.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
Panini owns the Score name brand now, they have made Score hockey sets the past two seasons.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Topps put out Stadium Club sets until 2003. They tried to bring it back in 2008 by making it 'premium' with an autograph per pack and a chunk of the set numbered to 999 but it only lasted one year.

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

Boinks posted:

Topps put out Stadium Club sets until 2003. They tried to bring it back in 2008 by making it 'premium' with an autograph per pack and a chunk of the set numbered to 999 but it only lasted one year.

Some of those Stadium Club First Day Issue cards from the 90s can still net a fair price.

But my favorite 90s inserts were these:

Pinnacle Museum Collection, hell yes.

streetlamp
May 7, 2007

Danny likes his party hat
He does not like his banana hat
Ran into something cool at a dumpy thrift store today

Tagged as "1940's Richmond Colts" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richmond_Colts) cap, trying to find a image of any kind of similar cap worn by the team though.
Almost all the Richmond team pictures I can find, which aren't many, feature a R on the cap. It would be great if anyone could identify a team.

streetlamp fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Feb 19, 2012

theacox
Jun 8, 2010

You can't be serious.
I've been out of this for a long time. What's the general opinion on the Ebay box break team thing?

sba
Jul 9, 2001

bae
That NNOF Thomas thread is awesome. Wow.

unbeatable
Mar 13, 2006
I'm number one

theacox posted:

I've been out of this for a long time. What's the general opinion on the Ebay box break team thing?

Just want to second this as I am also curious. I just got back into collecting recently too.

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

You'd be better off checking one of the many sports card forums like BlowoutCards and FreedomCardBoard.com and join a group break there.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

theacox posted:

We're doing some hockey box breaks in the hockey thread!

If you wanted, I could get one going here too.

purkey
Dec 5, 2003

I hate the 90s

AsInHowe posted:

I'd be down for this.

theacox
Jun 8, 2010

You can't be serious.

AsInHowe posted:

I like me some hockey, at least peripherally. But I'm really retarded for baseball. If anyone wants to do a goon baseball box break, I'd be interested.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

theacox posted:

I've done a couple and didn't get burned, it was a fine experience. Just do a bit of research first.

AsInHowe posted:

Hell yes as long as it's not strictly high end stuff! Assembling a team set from heritage and anything else with short prints is a total pain in the rear end if you don't get in on a break.

Technowrite
Jan 18, 2006

I first battled the Metroids on Planet Zebes.
I need some help.

My wife's grandfather died in 2010. He left his three grandchildren all of his baseball memorabilia collection.

This is no typical collection. We've only scratched the surface of this stuff. I can't tell you how far back his card collection goes, but we found a signed 90s David Justice card and this Pete Rose card signed. He has thousands upon thousands of cards. At least 30 - 40 binders filled with baseball cards. Maybe more.

I know we're dealing with a lot of valueless cards. We're definitely not going into this thinking we're going to make a fortune, but we would love to get rid of these cards and make some kind of money off of them. After all, no one in our family actually enjoys baseball enough to collect/keep these cards.

My wife and I have been put in charge of this going through this massive collection. Where and how the hell do we start?

Technowrite fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Feb 28, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollerin
May 23, 2008
$1.

• Locked thread