Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Megalixir
Nov 10, 2007

Vanillaware ltd.

tooooooo bad posted:

Doesn't really mesh with serious adult man in the art.

I don't think Catherine's music really meshed with the theme, you know, the songs that weren't just remixed classicals.

Anyway, someone's put up an entire playlist of it all, maybe listening to the whole thing will change your mind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Megalixir posted:

Guess I have bad taste then. The fight theme is pretty much exactly what I would imagine Persona 5 to have. It's very Meguro-esque.

Yeah, me too. I love Reach Out To The Truth and it reminds me a lot of that. I like the jazzier songs on there too, but I love peppy pop rock.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

"It sounds bad" and "It sounds like what I'd expect to hear in P5" are not mutually exclusive.

:siren: All PS2 Shin Megami Tensei games* are on sale for 25 bucks on Amazon right now :siren:

*Excluding the Devil Summoner games, which both command their usual ridiculous pricing. Please do not pay 90 bucks for Raidou Kuzunoha vs. The Soulless Army.

vanov
Sep 19, 2005

sup space lol
Ordered Devil Survivor Overclocked along with a lot of other crap I've been meaning to and a printer. I was glad to see DSOC was down to a sane $35 when I needed a new printer!

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

Azure_Horizon posted:

I think they should do that color scheme for the game itself. Perhaps a slicker black/white contrast than Mad World did.

Do you mean just the menus or the actual game? Because playing a ~90 hour RPG in monochrome would get tedious really fast.

Kimitsu
Jan 11, 2012

Bear with me for a moment.
I could see stylizing parts of the shadow world that way to turn out pretty nicely. It would definitely make the colors that did show up pop up much more.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

vanov posted:

Ordered Devil Survivor Overclocked along with a lot of other crap I've been meaning to and a printer. I was glad to see DSOC was down to a sane $35 when I needed a new printer!

I drove two hours away to find a Gamestop that had a used copy in stock. Sure I spent $45 in gas and food doing it, but it was only $15 with the coupon I had.

Also, I just cancelled my PS Vita Preorder and got a PSP + P3P. That along with Devil Survivor 2 will keep me busy well until the PSVita Slim/price drop comes out.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Dehry posted:

I drove two hours away to find a Gamestop that had a used copy in stock.

For anyone wanting a Megaten game from farther than two hours Gamestop can make a phone call and get it from multiple states away. This is great if you're looking for Soulless Army cheap.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I have taken the opportunity to collect Digital Devil Saga. Awesome.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Technique posted:

Do you mean just the menus or the actual game? Because playing a ~90 hour RPG in monochrome would get tedious really fast.

There are ways to pull off monochrome visuals, Mad World just kinda went overboard with it.

vanov
Sep 19, 2005

sup space lol

Len posted:

For anyone wanting a Megaten game from farther than two hours Gamestop can make a phone call and get it from multiple states away. This is great if you're looking for Soulless Army cheap.

Used to work there, if you just go and ask your local store they'll usually do this for you no problem, I did this all of the time and it's how I collected most of my rare stuff when I still worked there.

Dogbutt
Nov 26, 2011

Look at my face.
It would be kinda nice to have a darker Persona game. It would be an interesting change.

immortal flow
Jun 6, 2003
boing boing boing
In Persona 4, how much content do you miss out on by not having maxed out Social Links? I'm halfway through December, in the final dungeon, and there's no way in hell I'm going to get all of these done - if it's just a throwaway line or two that you miss I wouldn't care but it's preying on my mind!!

edit: I mean after the end of the game proper, do you miss anything big in the epilogue?

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Dogbutt posted:

It would be kinda nice to have a darker Persona game. It would be an interesting change.

It'd make me feel like Atlus was returning to the Nocturne/DDS days. I miss them.

Nighteyedie
May 30, 2011

immortal flow posted:

In Persona 4, how much content do you miss out on by not having maxed out Social Links? I'm halfway through December, in the final dungeon, and there's no way in hell I'm going to get all of these done - if it's just a throwaway line or two that you miss I wouldn't care but it's preying on my mind!!

edit: I mean after the end of the game proper, do you miss anything big in the epilogue?

There is a short epilogue scene for every social link you maxed at the very end of the game. It's not a really big deal, and you always just look at it on youtube.

immortal flow
Jun 6, 2003
boing boing boing

Nighteyedie posted:

There is a short epilogue scene for every social link you maxed at the very end of the game. It's not a really big deal, and you always just look at it on youtube.

Oh sweet :shobon: Now I won't have to restart the entire game.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

immortal flow posted:

If its your party members you miss out on their upgraded personas.

If its anyone else, you miss a few lines at the end of the game from them and some powerful personas.

9999DMG
May 20, 2007
Gently caress this poo poo.
So, I'm playing SMT: Nocturne again, and I could use some advice. To mix things up a bit, for this playthrough I'm trying to evolve any and all demons who can evolve. I'm really loving how the demons who evolve start off with big skillsets, and tend to learn much better skills than other demons of the same level. They also tend to have really great resistances and stats.

There's just one problem with my plan. In order to do get all evolutions, I have to get my High Pixie up to level 52 so she can evolve to Queen Mab. This will be very difficult. I had to stop using High Pixie in the Amala Labrynth because she was too fragile, and though I've reintegrated her into my party she's way behind. I just completed the Nihilo base, and even though her skillset is still quite useful, she lacks staying power and is a liability in boss fights. Getting the experience for her to evolve is going to be tedious. Even worse, I have to get Lilim up to level 76 to make her evolve to Lilith. So that's two problems, really.

I was going to just pump up her stats with Mitamas, but that's a time-consuming task. I seem to recall some kind of fusion wizardry involving Mitamas and sacrificial fusion that allows you to replace a demon's skills, but I can't seem to get that to work. I also can't find any reference to it online, so I'm probably misremembering the whole thing.

Does anyone have advice on how I can get this to work? Is evolving High Pixie and Lilim just an unnecessary hassle?

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene
I just wait until the third floor of the Tower of Kagatsuchi to level evolvable demons. If you have a killer setup going, you can keep them from dying and get them levels fast.

9999DMG
May 20, 2007
I'll only do that if it's the only way. I really want to avoid overleveling my Demi-Fiend.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene
Well if you're going for Lilith you all but have to use that method. Or keep Lilim in your rotation forever.

criticaldamage
Jun 9, 2009
You don't actually have to level the demons themselves that high. Just get your main character to 52 and then have High Pixie gain a level and that should work; same for Lilith. I distinctly remember not leveling either of them nearly that high :P

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

9999DMG posted:

I was going to just pump up her stats with Mitamas, but that's a time-consuming task. I seem to recall some kind of fusion wizardry involving Mitamas and sacrificial fusion that allows you to replace a demon's skills, but I can't seem to get that to work. I also can't find any reference to it online, so I'm probably misremembering the whole thing.

Does anyone have advice on how I can get this to work? Is evolving High Pixie and Lilim just an unnecessary hassle?

Perhaps what you're referring to is demon + mitama in a sacrifical fusion? Sacrifice fusions give the resulting demon (I think) 1.5 the experience of whatever's being sacrificed, and demon + mitama is always the same demon. So essentially a demon + mitama in a sacrifice fusion is a straight-up stat and EXP boost for your base demon, plus reshuffling around all its skills. In theory that is, I don't know if in practice there's something that would make that not work.

But yeah I think evolving those low-level demons is probably an unnecessary hassle.

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

9999DMG posted:

This is not how evolving works. High Pixie evolves at level 16, or later if the Demi-Fiend isn't a high enough level when this happens.

Evolving happens when a demon learns all of its skills and the Demi-Fiend is at least the level of the evolved demon (or within the level by about two levels, I forget which). If the demon has already learned all of its skills by the time you've reached that level, you only need to level it up once more when the Demi-Fiend has a high enough level.

Here's a handy guide with more info.

jonjonaug fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Feb 6, 2012

9999DMG
May 20, 2007

criticaldamage posted:

You don't actually have to level the demons themselves that high. Just get your main character to 52 and then have High Pixie gain a level and that should work; same for Lilith. I distinctly remember not leveling either of them nearly that high :P

Really? If that's true, it would make everything much easier.

Genpei Turtle posted:

Perhaps what you're referring to is demon + mitama in a sacrifical fusion? Sacrifice fusions give the resulting demon (I think) 1.5 the experience of whatever's being sacrificed, and demon + mitama is always the same demon. So essentially a demon + mitama in a sacrifice fusion is a straight-up stat and EXP boost for your base demon, plus reshuffling around all its skills. In theory that is, I don't know if in practice there's something that would make that not work.

But yeah I think evolving those low-level demons is probably an unnecessary hassle.

I can't seem to get it to work. When I fuse High Pixie + * Mitama at full Kagatsuchi, it asks me if I want to make a sacrifice, and it brings me to the demon selection screen, but none of the demons are selectable. Are there rules about what demons can be sacrificed?

Now that I think of it, I haven't tried this with two mitamas in stock yet. That's probably what I need to do.

EDIT: Thanks, jonjonaug!

9999DMG fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Feb 6, 2012

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Yea its your MC that needs to be at the required level, once that's done just level the demon once, they'll evolve and rocket up to the level as your MC.

9999DMG
May 20, 2007
What exactly does the Curse status do? I know it changes fusion rules (and the song that plays while you're cursed in the Cathedral of Shadows is awesome) but what are the negative side effects? (There are negative side effects, right?)

EDIT: Never mind, I just found out. (surprisingly, you CAN negotiate with demons while cursed.)

9999DMG fucked around with this message at 08:37 on Feb 6, 2012

Catalina
May 20, 2008

Devil Survivor:
I'm on the 3rd day, first play, and have been pursuing Midori events when they pop up. Ha ha, *holy poo poo* was I surprised and terrified when Beldur showed up at the end of a 12:30 fight event. That bastard, I wasn't expecting to him until 18:00! He really kicked my rear end, too. Repeatedly. I'm currently grinding and fusing higher level demons in an attempt to be able to even ESCAPE that fight alive.

In somewhat related news, I've found out the demons up for auction reset every time you turn off the game and start it up again. That goes for empty slots, too; they get filled by a random demon.

ETA: Well, I believe that's the first time in a game I've ever ground for levels and skills so I'd be able to run away from a boss fight.

Catalina fucked around with this message at 12:06 on Feb 7, 2012

Dogbutt
Nov 26, 2011

Look at my face.

Catalina posted:

Devil Survivor:
I'm on the 3rd day, first play, and have been pursuing Midori events when they pop up. Ha ha, *holy poo poo* was I surprised and terrified when Beldur showed up at the end of a 12:30 fight event. That bastard, I wasn't expecting to him until 18:00! He really kicked my rear end, too. Repeatedly. I'm currently grinding and fusing higher level demons in an attempt to be able to even ESCAPE that fight alive.

Just some advice, increase your strength stat from now on. That is, until day 4. Then do what you want with your stats.

Catalina
May 20, 2008

Dogbutt posted:

Just some advice, increase your strength stat from now on. That is, until day 4. Then do what you want with your stats.

Thank you, I'll do that! Much appreciated.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
You can easily get away with like, 8 Strength tops in Devil Survivor. In fact I recommend it because the faster you pump Magic the faster you can switch to a Holy Dance/Drain build.

Catalina
May 20, 2008

Nate RFB posted:

You can easily get away with like, 8 Strength tops in Devil Survivor. In fact I recommend it because the faster you pump Magic the faster you can switch to a Holy Dance/Drain build.

I've been doing what I usually do in the first play of games where you allocate your stats (especially SMT); just put even stat growth across all stats, learn what my best strategy is, and put them where I'd like for the second playthrough*

I find it cool that in SMT: Strange Journey, your base stat growth was based on a personality test.

*(Not that I've ever gotten to a second playthrough of a SMT game, because I have so many of them and they're all so fun and distracting from each other argh! I've sworn to myself I must commit to Devil Survivor as my main RPG I'm playing until I finish. So far so good!)

ETA "second playthrough"

Catalina fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Feb 8, 2012

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I built my guy up as a physical sweeper with drain hit just because of Beldr and the deadly mistletoe. Now that I am the late game and 1/2 to 2/3 of the enemies drain/reflect phys, I am grinding to bring up my magic.

Authorman
Mar 5, 2007

slamcat

Dogbutt posted:

Don't do this. All you'll do is gimp yourself for the rest of the game in order to beat the easiest boss in the game a little faster.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
I went with a pure strength MC and found him to be the hardest by far. Everything after is pretty easy to just punch through.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Most you need is 8 strength, 12 if you want to equip and amp kill for a certain element.

I had 7 and was doing like 80 to Beldr.

Boneless Jogger
Apr 20, 2010

Alteisen posted:

Most you need is 8 strength, 12 if you want to equip and amp kill for a certain element.

I had 7 and was doing like 80 to Beldr.

Yeah. The only thing that affects the damage done to him is level, despite all the conceptions that strength is needed. Some guy on GameFAQs with way too much time on his hands did some testing on the damage formulas, and only level matters in the case of that fight.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I think the best balance is (from the start of the game and in the following order): Get everything up to 8 evenly, get Vitality/Agility/Magic up to 16, max out Magic, max out Agility, and put whatever points you get after this into Vitality.

For some very specific skills you will need higher Strength, but the only time I ended up doing this was for the optional boss on my 7th playthrough.

Nate RFB fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Feb 8, 2012

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

Catalina posted:

I find it cool that in SMT: Strange Journey, your base stat growth was based on a personality test.

That wasn't cool, that was a really really bad idea which pretty much hosed you over no matter what you answered because it never put points where you wanted it to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I remember having an agility demonica and my highest stat was always magic.