Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lord Dekks
Jan 24, 2005

td4guy posted:

Looks like people are starting to get fed up with the DMCA takedowns on major providers. This is the front page of the NZBsRus indexing site right now:

That's funny in itself as on NZBMatrix, half the time the comments have 'Wouldn't complete using Astraweb' followed by 'Worked fine here - Giganews/supernews'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy

Lord Dekks posted:

That's funny in itself as on NZBMatrix, half the time the comments have 'Wouldn't complete using Astraweb' followed by 'Worked fine here - Giganews/supernews'.

Oddly enough those with complaints from other astraweb users would usually complete fine for me. Only anecdotal evidence though :shobon:.

paradigmm
May 28, 2002

by Y Kant Ozma Post

td4guy posted:

Looks like people are starting to get fed up with the DMCA takedowns on major providers. This is the front page of the NZBsRus indexing site right now:

The gently caress does this have to do with censorship? What a lovely ad, just shows how crappy NZBsRus is.

SlipperyNipple
Jan 24, 2010

td4guy posted:

Yea great, so now the MPAA will know who to go after now as this stuff starts to get passed around. There is a reason they go for Giganews and Highwinds since it is the low hanging fruit. Let them keep doing that while the rest of us know what a lovely deal they are and get our stuff without issue. Christ. Those guys might as well forward them a copy of that ad and say hey we are all moving on to the other small time providers.

It amazes me that people think Astraweb doesnt follow DMCA guidelines just because they do not see any. They have servers in the USA like megaupload did, who was a foreign company as well. How did that work out for them?

JonTheDon
Sep 16, 2005
Is there any way to host a simple SABNZBD 'pause' or 'throttle speed' option on a webpage somewhere, with no other options/information presented?

I don't necessarily want to open up my SABNZBD download list and setup to everyone, but I would like people to be able to slow down or pause my downloads if they need to while I'm out.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

JonTheDon posted:

Is there any way to host a simple SABNZBD 'pause' or 'throttle speed' option on a webpage somewhere, with no other options/information presented?

I don't necessarily want to open up my SABNZBD download list and setup to everyone, but I would like people to be able to slow down or pause my downloads if they need to while I'm out.

Put a password on SAB and just use the mobile interface from your web browser?

paradigmm
May 28, 2002

by Y Kant Ozma Post

kri kri posted:

Put a password on SAB and just use the mobile interface from your web browser?

Yea if you just delete the HTML links to the queue/history from the Mobile template that would work.
SABnzbd/interfaces/Mobile/templates/main.tmpl

Otherwise you could set up some trigger that hits the sabnzbd api to pause via wget.

JonTheDon
Sep 16, 2005
Thanks, will give that a go.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
So, how about that .6.15? Where can I get a copy of the changelog without downloading the package?

paradigmm
May 28, 2002

by Y Kant Ozma Post
code:
************************  SABnzbd 0.6.15 ************************

What's new:
- Extend OSX menu with troubleshooting options
- Change newzbin URL
- Flag post-processing as failed when files cannot be moved/copied to destination
- Move "locale" construction from Plush skin to Python code.
  Some embedded Linux platforms show unstable behavior with the original construction.
- Add special setting to use "pickle" library instead of cPickle.
  This is needed for some embedded Linux distros (e.g. OpenElec).
- Minor fixes: see changelog.txt

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

paradigmm posted:

code:
************************  SABnzbd 0.6.15 ************************

What's new:
- Extend OSX menu with troubleshooting options
- Change newzbin URL
- Flag post-processing as failed when files cannot be moved/copied to destination
- Move "locale" construction from Plush skin to Python code.
  Some embedded Linux platforms show unstable behavior with the original construction.
- Add special setting to use "pickle" library instead of cPickle.
  This is needed for some embedded Linux distros (e.g. OpenElec).
- Minor fixes: see changelog.txt

Yeah, I'm looking for the minor fixes. Not that it's really hard to upgrade, but I'm wondering if I should bother or not.

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

This could have bought you a half a tank of gas, lmfao -
Love, gromdul
Has anyone here used nget? The CVS version supposedly implements the maxheaders option, but I can't get it to compile. I also can't find a binary, rpm, or deb distribution with the maxheaders option enabled.

Is there anything else like nget that will fetch and assemble headers from multi-part posts? I don't even need the download capability, just the header gathering. I also want a command-line interface, not Xwindows.

Sly Pistachio
Mar 20, 2008

SlipperyNipple posted:

It amazes me that people think Astraweb doesnt follow DMCA guidelines just because they do not see any. They have servers in the USA like megaupload did, who was a foreign company as well. How did that work out for them?

Any fan of Usenet and video games knows just how many DMCA requests Astraweb receives and acts on. a fuckload

They also get nuked on Readnews too. The ESA doesn't mess around.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

FISHMANPET posted:

Yeah, I'm looking for the minor fixes. Not that it's really hard to upgrade, but I'm wondering if I should bother or not.

Hit github and look over the commit messages, I guess.

Lusername
Sep 22, 2005
The truth is just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Assuming I understand this correctly, how come when a usenet provider gets hit with a DMCA takedown, they usually only remove a small part of the copyright infringing post, and not the whole thing? I understand it makes business sense since they want to retain customers (who can just use a separate block account to fill in the missing parts), but surely it goes against the spirit of the DMCA? It's like hosting a copyrighted mp3 on your web server, and when you inevitably get hit with a DMCA notice, you just shave off the last two seconds of the song, and then claim you've complied.

Sperg Victorious
Mar 25, 2011
Sometimes you'll see the whole thing taken down. But I'm guessing the takedown notices don't include all the post IDs needed to take everything down.

paradigmm
May 28, 2002

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Lusername posted:

Assuming I understand this correctly, how come when a usenet provider gets hit with a DMCA takedown, they usually only remove a small part of the copyright infringing post, and not the whole thing? I understand it makes business sense since they want to retain customers (who can just use a separate block account to fill in the missing parts), but surely it goes against the spirit of the DMCA? It's like hosting a copyrighted mp3 on your web server, and when you inevitably get hit with a DMCA notice, you just shave off the last two seconds of the song, and then claim you've complied.

I believe they simply do not need to take every article down in order to be compliant. Also that is an unfair comparison, it's not like that at all.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Sperg Victorious posted:

Sometimes you'll see the whole thing taken down. But I'm guessing the takedown notices don't include all the post IDs needed to take everything down.

This is likely it. While I havn't seen the takedowns they get, knowing the studios, they probably only include a few of the message IDs and the providers arn't about to start taking an initiative wrt removing things.

Lusername
Sep 22, 2005
The truth is just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
That makes sense, cheers. I always figured the studios would just send an .nzb containing all the infringing articles, but I guess they don't. And yeah, I take back the mp3 comparison. I meant it more as a cheeky taking-an-argument-to-its-extreme kinda thing.

Flashing Twelve
Mar 20, 2007

Any tips for increasing my usenet speed? I get about 1.2mb/s on a well-seeded torrent but my usenet speed hovers around 610-670kb/s constantly, so it could definitely be improved. I'm using Astrawebs main SSL server with two backup servers (astraweb ssl europe, astraweb ssl us) through sabnzbd. My router has no QoS enabled and my ISP doesn't throttle (though it's SSL so it shouldn't matter).

tronester
Aug 12, 2004
People hear what they want to hear.
I've recently been having problems downloading files above around five gigabytes in size. I get an error message in sabnzbd stating that the transfer failed. Oddly, I downloaded 4 4.5 gigabyte files with no issues this week.

This just started happening all of a sudden. My first thoughts were that this was perhaps bad ram corrupting the files, as I have had that happen before. However, the 4.5 gigabyte files had no issues.

I am using supernews w ssl. Any suggestions on what might be causing this?

inpheaux
Jul 12, 2001

Flashing Twelve posted:

Any tips for increasing my usenet speed? I get about 1.2mb/s on a well-seeded torrent but my usenet speed hovers around 610-670kb/s constantly, so it could definitely be improved. I'm using Astrawebs main SSL server with two backup servers (astraweb ssl europe, astraweb ssl us) through sabnzbd. My router has no QoS enabled and my ISP doesn't throttle (though it's SSL so it shouldn't matter).
Increase connections until it stops resulting in speed bumps. Increase article cache to 120M.

BnT
Mar 10, 2006

inpheaux posted:

Increase article cache to 120M.

This had a bigger impact for me than changes to number of connections.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

inpheaux posted:

Increase connections until it stops resulting in speed bumps. Increase article cache to 120M.

My article cache is blank. Does blank mean unlimited or is there a default?

Muslim Wookie
Jul 6, 2005

marketingman posted:

When I click Browse... under Manual Post Processing, the pop up sits there forever unable to list any directories. Any ideas why?

Ubuntu 11.10 x64, new install as per ainer.org, migration from an old server.

Sorry to quote myself guys but anyone else experienced this?

Flashing Twelve
Mar 20, 2007

inpheaux posted:

Set it to 20 connections (astraweb max) and 120M cache size, still no luck.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

Flashing Twelve posted:

Set it to 20 connections (astraweb max)
Now that you know that doesn't help, try what inpheaux said.
In that d/l range, 3-4 Astraweb connections should do just fine.

gary oldmans diary fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Feb 8, 2012

MikusR
Jan 5, 2008

Hogburto posted:

In that d/l range, 3-4 Astraweb connections should do just fine.

6-8 on Astraweb can max out my 100 Mb/s GPON line.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
4 on Supernews easily maxes out my 50mbit cable.

Only once have I seen a benefit to more connections than that, and that was on my college network where usenet traffic was shaped but I was able to SSH tunnel to a server on campus that was exempt from the shaper. The tunnel seemed to limit speed per-connection, so there I kept seeing gains until I hit the maximum allowed by UNS who I was using at the time.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

I wonder why different people need different number of connections...

I needed 18 connections to max out my 60mbit cable on Supernews, and I forgot to tweak that when I got upgraded to 100mbit cable. I'll do that right now.

edit: I've seen 11.5MB/s on an FTP download on my 100mbit connection. The most I can get on Supernews is about 10.5, which takes 30 connections. I think 30 is the max on Supernews?

Thermopyle fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Feb 8, 2012

Sperg Victorious
Mar 25, 2011

Thermopyle posted:

I needed 18 connections to max out my 60mbit cable on Supernews, and I forgot to tweak that when I got upgraded to 100mbit cable. I'll do that right now.

edit: I've seen 11.5MB/s on an FTP download on my 100mbit connection. The most I can get on Supernews is about 10.5, which takes 30 connections. I think 30 is the max on Supernews?

Are you using SSL? That has a bit of overhead on it.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

I've always just been set at 20 connections and it's maxed out on my various connections over the years. Right now I'm at 1.4MB/s at 20 connections. Is there any reason to drop it down?

e: SSL enabled, if it matters.

Hypnolobster fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Feb 8, 2012

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Well poo poo. I just noticed the Multi-Operations under the drop down menu on the right side of SABNzbd Plush.

You don't know how many times I cursed the Plush designer (it's one of you guys here I think?) for not having that.

Sperg Victorious posted:

Are you using SSL? That has a bit of overhead on it.

Yeah. I was getting a bit more speed with each connection I added so I don't think I was actually maxing out my connection by the time I reached Supernews max connections.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

Thermopyle posted:

Routing, probably.

On Highwinds I can hit ~1000Mbps with 2-3 connections. On Astraweb it needs about double that.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Would it be possible to add in an auto-updater like sickbeard has to sab?

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
Today I learned that Sickbeard is smart enough to grab an NZB of an entire season off NZBMatrix if you have a whole season marked as wanted. I'm pretty impressed with that.

What I don't know is how Sickbeard decides to push to the top of your SAB queue. I queued up some older stuff through Sickbeard, and while that was downloading, Sickbeard queued up some new stuff and pushed it to the top of the queue. Is there a setting for that?

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Today I learned that Sickbeard is smart enough to grab an NZB of an entire season off NZBMatrix if you have a whole season marked as wanted. I'm pretty impressed with that.

What I don't know is how Sickbeard decides to push to the top of your SAB queue. I queued up some older stuff through Sickbeard, and while that was downloading, Sickbeard queued up some new stuff and pushed it to the top of the queue. Is there a setting for that?

It's setting the new stuff to High priority, though don't know exactly what parameters it's using to determine how new something has to be for it to be high priority.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

FISHMANPET posted:

It's setting the new stuff to High priority, though don't know exactly what parameters it's using to determine how new something has to be for it to be high priority.

IIRC, backlog stuff is normal priority, currently airing stuff is high.

LaserWash
Jun 28, 2006
Hmmm... Pulled my supernews on a 10 mb cable connection down from 30 to 6 connections... No difference in download speed (unless I need to restart). Max appears to be 1.3 mb/s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gimperial
Oct 5, 2006

And then there was silence...

LaserWash posted:

Hmmm... Pulled my supernews on a 10 mb cable connection down from 30 to 6 connections... No difference in download speed (unless I need to restart). Max appears to be 1.3 mb/s.

I played around with it, 1 SSL connection (for me) seems to be about 400kb/s. 7 connections maxes my line out at 2.6mb/s. Supernews as well.