Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006
Õ_~ ANIME BABE LOVER 2000 ~_Õ

Mister Chief posted:

They're obviously big fans of the show and have been for awhile. Just watch the intro to this video.
I totally forgot about that until now. That's a really good recreation of GCCX's intro, even down to the blue hue. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neutral Zone Trap
Nov 6, 2011

It's in the garbage. Where it belongs.

Tyma posted:

It was Ageha, not Starmine :japan:

You're absolutely right. I have no excuse (except that they sound almost exactly the same).

Considering all the Konami games they're doing and the three Konami interviews in the first season it wouldn't really surprise me if there are more Bemani clips later on.

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

I'd love to see Arino try a Bemani game. Not as a 'main' challenge necessary but him being tasked with beating a mid-level song (or something) and training up for it over the course of a few weeks might be cool.

Kikka
Feb 10, 2010

I POST STUPID STUFF ABOUT DOCTOR WHO
I like seeing Arino beat western games. It always makes me smile when the narrator describes games like Prince of Persia or Out of This World with "strange", "weird" or "unique".
It's also pretty great that since almost all western games they've played have been typical sidescrolling adventure games, they think that lifelike, fluid animation and sidescrolling adventure is a staple of western games.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Kikka posted:

I like seeing Arino beat western games. It always makes me smile when the narrator describes games like Prince of Persia or Out of This World with "strange", "weird" or "unique".

To be fair, even among western platformers, those games are pretty unique. Another World especially, which doesn't have so much as a word of dialogue at any point.

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Arino obviously needs to play Abe's Oddysee to keep up the illusion.

Kikka
Feb 10, 2010

I POST STUPID STUFF ABOUT DOCTOR WHO

quakster posted:

This would be super rad.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Kikka posted:

And then he goes on to play a Japanese game about two comedians in a world of poop.

quakster posted:

I just finished this game a week ago. Ended up using save states and it was still tear-your-hair-out frustrating. I remember I actually beat it as a child, gently caress knows where I found the patience.

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

How much do you want it? ;-*

QwertySanchez posted:

Clea - Lucky Like that

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SwQfbLotXUI

edit: beaten dammit.

Awesome, it'll be added to the playlist.

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

I love Leinster and I couldn't be happier that Jordie Barrett has signed with them on a short term deal.

Kikka posted:

I don't know how much it carries over in translation, but those are words they usually say to dance around the fact that the game is bad. When something is said to have "strange level design" or "unique controls", it's because the producers are grateful to the game companies for letting them broadcast footage of the game, and don't want to offend them by saying the controls are terrible, and the level design is illogical. They still have to explain what makes the game is hard, though.

I think Ikki, Takeshi's Cahellnge and Super Monkey Daiboken are the only games that they've ever refereed to as being "bad games", and even then they sort of celebrate them.

DiscoJ posted:

I'd love to see Arino try a Bemani game. Not as a 'main' challenge necessary but him being tasked with beating a mid-level song (or something) and training up for it over the course of a few weeks might be cool.

I don't think they can ever do a Bemani game as a challenge, because the musical rights for the older games are such a legal clusterfuck. Konami don't own half of the songs, and even the ones that were produced specifically for Bemani games have some legal issues with the lyrics that force Konami to either re-record or cull a random assortment of older songs with every new release.

It would be kind of weird seeing him play a music game where large sections of the song wheel are "out of bounds", because the songs can't be aired on TV. I'm not sure how much creative editing could get around that fact.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

Tyma posted:

It would be kind of weird seeing him play a music game where large sections of the song wheel are "out of bounds", because the songs can't be aired on TV. I'm not sure how much creative editing could get around that fact.

Simple. Have Kan's booming voice get mad at Arino whenever his cursor hovers over a off-limits song! It could be an hour of Arino never knowing when the scary voice will yell at him again.

GidgetNomates
May 6, 2010

I love this hobby:
stealing your mother's diary
I wish Roommania #203 hadn't been done in the first season because I would love to see it as a full-length challenge :( I think it would lend itself well to Arino making funny comments.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!
Kid Dracula was great. It had basically everything I look for in a GCCX episode.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

quakster posted:

Now I'm intensely sad that I will never hear Arino converse with the ADs in mudokon fashion.

:smith:

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k

Ledneh posted:

Now I'm intensely sad that I will never hear Arino converse with the ADs in mudokon fashion.

Or see him discover the fart button. :smith:

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
Off the top of my head, the majority of good games for the NES, SNES, and other consoles contemporary to them seem to be made by Japanese developers. I think western developers were focused more on computers at that time.

rdbbb
Jul 26, 2011

Ledneh posted:

who says you won't?

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

ponzicar posted:

Off the top of my head, the majority of good games for the NES, SNES, and other consoles contemporary to them seem to be made by Japanese developers. I think western developers were focused more on computers at that time.

This is largely true, but some Western developers became really good at utilizing the hardware. Most notably Factor 5 - Super Turrican 2 is probably one of the most graphically impressive titles on the SNES. Virgin, too. the Lion King game still has really impressive animation.

Fakeedit: And Rare, of course :v:

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 11:22 on Feb 8, 2012

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

rdbbb posted:

who says you won't?

Now I wish the English title was ABE a GOGO.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

ponzicar posted:

That's pretty much how it was. The NES may have revitalized the US video game market after the crash of '83, but western developers for the most part moved on to computers or arcades. I don't recall many western-developed console games until around the late '80s/early '90s timeframe, and a good number of those were either arcade ports (Paperboy, Joust) or computer ports (Maniac Mansion, the ICOM MacVenture titles).

Mercury Crusader fucked around with this message at 11:26 on Feb 8, 2012

Dectilon
Aug 15, 2008

Remember that thou wast a servant in the land of LP, and that the Lord thy Master brought thee out thence through mighty balls and a stretched out dive.
Dectilon 5:15

Tyma posted:

I don't know how much it carries over in translation, but those are words they usually say to dance around the fact that the game is bad. When something is said to have "strange level design" or "unique controls", it's because the producers are grateful to the game companies for letting them broadcast footage of the game, and don't want to offend them by saying the controls are terrible, and the level design is illogical. They still have to explain what makes the game is hard, though.

In the segment where they talk about games from a specific year they also call a lot of lovely games "revolutionary" and/or "masterpieces". If a certain amount of asslicking is what it takes to keep the show running then have at it I say.

softcorps
May 25, 2005

cheesy anime pizza undresses you with pepperoni eyes
I'm glad this show exists because I can see all these great games without having to play them. Maybe it's because I'm older now but I hardly have the patience these days to put up with even modern games. I guess I have a lower tolerance for the "die, learn, and start over" mechanics as opposed to problems in games you can overcome with logic and sensibility.

I still think the first episode had one of the best games though. Takeshi's Challenge is the greatest slap-in-the-face troll game I've ever seen. Here's a map! Oh wait, it's blank? And really, that's the solution? What happens if I press... oh god... karaoke again?! The shooting stage is bloody genius too, not to mention the ending.

Taken from its wiki page: "Throwing 30,720 punches on the opening game screen will also take the player directly to the game's ending."

Fantastic. I might have to give this game a shot.

softcorps fucked around with this message at 12:44 on Feb 8, 2012

GidgetNomates
May 6, 2010

I love this hobby:
stealing your mother's diary

softcorps posted:

I'm glad this show exists because I can see all these great games without having to play them. Maybe it's because I'm older now but I hardly have the patience these days to put up with even modern games. I guess I have a lower tolerance for the "die, learn, and start over" mechanics as opposed to problems in games you can overcome with logic and sensibility.

I'm the same way. I just can't handle games like that anymore. If I can't save whenever the gently caress I want then I don't want to play it. I can't tolerate having to replay parts of a game over and over. It's one thing if I WANT to replay part, but if I HAVE to then I just quit.

Keyboard Kid
Sep 12, 2006

If you stay here too long, you'll end up frying your brain. Yes, you will. No, you will...not. Yesno, you will won't.

GidgetNomates posted:

I'm the same way. I just can't handle games like that anymore. If I can't save whenever the gently caress I want then I don't want to play it. I can't tolerate having to replay parts of a game over and over.

To be fair, most games don't send you back far as a penalty for dying, unless it's a full game over (restart the game), or it's something notably 'gently caress you' like Ninja Gaiden 1. And if you're playing in an emulator, it sounds like you want save states? It's more fun to play through the game naturally, otherwise you'd be stuck with dumb autosave-every-minute progression, which really has no challenge.

There IS logic to a lot of challenging stages, fights, etc--Arino is just really loving bad at playing action games. If he can beat a game within 12 hours, you can probably breeze through it.

Dectilon posted:

In the segment where they talk about games from a specific year they also call a lot of lovely games "revolutionary" and/or "masterpieces". If a certain amount of asslicking is what it takes to keep the show running then have at it I say.

I have to wonder about this. So many of the games featured are completely unnotable, and they take almost every sports game and highlight how amazing a certain feature of it is. It's really hard to take anything away from that segment because they don't tell you which games are actually worth your time.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

softcorps posted:

I still think the first episode had one of the best games though. Takeshi's Challenge is the greatest slap-in-the-face troll game I've ever seen. Here's a map! Oh wait, it's blank? And really, that's the solution? What happens if I press... oh god... karaoke again?! The shooting stage is bloody genius too, not to mention the ending.

Taken from its wiki page: "Throwing 30,720 punches on the opening game screen will also take the player directly to the game's ending."

Fantastic. I might have to give this game a shot.

You really need to play the game to see just how amazing it is. Just figuring out how to do anything is hard. And punching 30720 times hurts my fingers.

Crono S. Magnum
Feb 29, 2008
Just finished watching the Kid Dracula episode.

Did Arino nearly break his thumbs in that one? It looked like he had played his thumb completely raw towards the end.

That and the glitch were the best freaking things.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Random Stranger posted:

You really need to play the game to see just how amazing it is. Just figuring out how to do anything is hard. And punching 30720 times hurts my fingers.

That code was obviously only there so Kenshiro could beat the game without having to play it.

ATATATATATATATATATATATA

Actually, the Famicom/NES Fist of the North Star could be a decent challenge for Arino.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.

Crono S. Magnum posted:

Just finished watching the Kid Dracula episode.

Did Arino nearly break his thumbs in that one? It looked like he had played his thumb completely raw towards the end.

That and the glitch were the best freaking things.

That really is one of the worst feelings. You essentially drive your thumbs to a weird place where they're somewhat numb but any touching becomes a very painful pins and needles feeling.

I never got that as a kid and I gamed a lot but recently when I did my Quest of Ki runthrough, I got that feeling in the first 4 or so hours, enough to make me put down the game and finish it the next day.

I don't envy his thumbs and they probably take a solid 48 hours to heal up properly after a serious day of gaming.

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

After a good couple of rounds of River City Ransom-style hockey on the Famicom, I realized how non-ergonomic those controllers are. They're tiny and the D-pad is too close to the edge. It's almost like they're made for teeny Japanese childrens' hands! Anyway my thumb was really tired afterwards. I don't know how Arino can do it.

Keyboard Kid posted:

I have to wonder about this. So many of the games featured are completely unnotable, and they take almost every sports game and highlight how amazing a certain feature of it is.

When there's about a billion identical baseball games to feature, you gotta do your best to make sure each one sounds special and unique somehow.

zari-gani fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Feb 8, 2012

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

double post

Jimmy Colorado
Apr 16, 2010

Keyboard Kid posted:

To be fair, most games don't send you back far as a penalty for dying, unless it's a full game over (restart the game), or it's something notably 'gently caress you' like Ninja Gaiden 1. And if you're playing in an emulator, it sounds like you want save states? It's more fun to play through the game naturally, otherwise you'd be stuck with dumb autosave-every-minute progression, which really has no challenge.

In one of the most recently broadcasted episodes (the Detective Jinguji murder mystery one I think from last week or the week prior to that), they had that "Project CX" vignette where they feature old console peripherals. In this one, Kibe produced this thing that was basically an external flash cart or something that plugged into the Famicom and could record your sessions. You could then replay it back and watch how you did. But the neat thing was that if you were in replay mode, and then switched it over to record mode on the fly, you could commandeer your character again and play right from that point in the recording!

The segment was in Japanese, so the only thing I could catch was that it retailed for about 70 bucks when it came out, and Kibe acquired it for a dollar. But the technology stunned me, I never knew something like that existed. It's sort of a precursor to the kind of emulator/save state stuff we're used to now.

edit: it's called the Hori Game Repeater. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QECS8Jy3_YQ Pretty neato.

Jimmy Colorado fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Feb 8, 2012

rdbbb
Jul 26, 2011

Jimmy Colorado posted:

In one of the most recently broadcasted episodes (the Detective Jinguji murder mystery one I think from last week or the week prior to that), they had that "Project CX" vignette where they feature old console peripherals. In this one, Kibe produced this thing that was basically an external flash cart or something that plugged into the Famicom and could record your sessions. You could then replay it back and watch how you did. But the neat thing was that if you were in replay mode, and then switched it over to record mode on the fly, you could commandeer your character again and play right from that point in the recording!

The segment was in Japanese, so the only thing I could catch was that it retailed for about 70 bucks when it came out, and Kibe acquired it for a dollar. But the technology stunned me, I never knew something like that existed. It's sort of a precursor to the kind of emulator/save state stuff we're used to now.

Yeah, it was weird, but to be clear, like the emulator stuff, it records inputs, not footage. You might remember programmable controllers from those days that advertised the same thing (so you could store move commands for Street Fighter or whatever)

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

I love Leinster and I couldn't be happier that Jordie Barrett has signed with them on a short term deal.

rdbbb posted:

Yeah, it was weird, but to be clear, like the emulator stuff, it records inputs, not footage. You might remember programmable controllers from those days that advertised the same thing (so you could store move commands for Street Fighter or whatever)

It's really hard to believe that games from the era didn't use any random number generators at all to control enemy behavior, making every playthrough absolutely identical. Surely the RPGs of the time must have had randomly generated elements?

At what point did games start introducing random elements to enemy behavior? I'm thinking it was around the SNES era that "Artificial Intelligence" became a pop culture concept, and enemy behavior as became much more random, as designers tried to give the impression that their games were somehow trying to outwit the player.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Tyma posted:

It's really hard to believe that games from the era didn't use any random number generators at all to control enemy behavior, making every playthrough absolutely identical. Surely the RPGs of the time must have had randomly generated elements?

They do but it was usually dependent on the frame you did your inputs, meaning if you have the exact same inputs you get the same results. It's almost impossible for a human to replicate frame perfect inputs but a machine could do it easily.

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

I'M PROGRAMMED TO LOVE THIS CHOCOLATY CAKE... MY CIRCUITS LIGHT UP FOR THAT FUDGY ICING.

Tyma posted:

At what point did games start introducing random elements to enemy behavior? I'm thinking it was around the SNES era that "Artificial Intelligence" became a pop culture concept, and enemy behavior as became much more random, as designers tried to give the impression that their games were "thinking"?

Heh, AI popular culture started no later than 1968 with 2001: A Space Odyssey.. Maybe earlier with some Asimov stories! (And Video Chess on the 2600 can play against a human.)

But here's the thing - you don't really have "true" randomness in your basic computer. It's all based on a seed value, that, if you re-enter that value by way of exact playback, will produce the same output.

So, as an example, let's say that you start a theoretical fighting game in MAME while recording input:

1. Game powers on
2. You wait five seconds
3. You press the insert coin button
4. You wait two seconds
5. You press start
6. AI character X is your first opponent

Feeding that exact same input into the game is always going to produce the same output. But if you had waited seven seconds in step 5, the output would've changed, depending on where the opponent-determining random seed value was coming from.

The seed value could also be from number of inputs since X, number of seconds since Y date (if there's an internal clock), and any number of other things.

If you're reproducing all of that exactly, it doesn't matter what the game is - whether it's deterministic like Pac-Man or non-deterministic like Ms. Pac-Man.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Mercury Crusader posted:

That's pretty much how it was. The NES may have revitalized the US video game market after the crash of '83, but western developers for the most part moved on to computers or arcades. I don't recall many western-developed console games until around the late '80s/early '90s timeframe, and a good number of those were either arcade ports (Paperboy, Joust) or computer ports (Maniac Mansion, the ICOM MacVenture titles).

Yeah, the video game market crash scarred western developers and they fled to the commodore, Amiga, and PC. Once Nintendo came around, their terms were too strict and they got comfortable with the open nature of computers and arcade development. It honestly wasn't until over 15 years later with the XBox that western developers made a full comeback into the console scene. You can count the number of good western NES games on one hand and the number of good SNES/Genesis games on maybe two. Most of those were ports. So yeah, considering the Japanese don't really care about computers, they had a pretty skewed view on western games since most of what they saw genuinely were weird or lovely.

I was happy that the show actually had really nice things to say about Lemmings. It was the one case where the king or announcer didn't call it unusual or weird or something, and they called it a masterful puzzle game or something similar.

Joctan
Sep 2, 2011

Tyma posted:

It's really hard to believe that games from the era didn't use any random number generators at all to control enemy behavior, making every playthrough absolutely identical.

Tell that to the hammer bros. in super mario bros. 1

Silentman0
Jul 11, 2005

I have a new neighbor. Heard he comes from far away

Ledneh posted:

:smith:

Moses would have had to say "All of you" :colbert:

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

techknight posted:

But here's the thing - you don't really have "true" randomness in your basic computer. It's all based on a seed value, that, if you re-enter that value by way of exact playback, will produce the same output.

Exactly. I was going to post that there's no such thing as truly random in computer science, but you beat me to it. That method of recording inputs is basically how all the stuff at TAS Videos are made, only with single-frame precision in that case (plus a few other tricks).

The worst part about the western NES controllers was that little arrow indentation on the D-pad. That thing is murder on the thumbs with prolonged use. I don't know if the Famicom pads have the same thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Ofecks posted:

Exactly. I was going to post that there's no such thing as truly random in computer science, but you beat me to it.

That's not true. You can get computer components capable of generating truly random numbers through various means. Tracking radioactive decay is the most common option. Naturally people can't have radioactive isotopes in sufficient quantities in their home computers but there are options in computer science to generate true randomness.