Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

QPZIL posted:

:3:

Aww, thanks buddy. I'll work on more, I just haven't been in the mood to write lately, and when I have it's been all depressive black metal. Winter tends to do that. I've had the itch to play more thrash though, so I'll try to get back on that.

Also the girl doing vocals moved to Texas, but she and I have similar screaming voices so it's do-able.

You should write a theme song for Vermin Supreme.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
Apparently the whole of Psycroptic's new album was streaming for free here:

http://www.guitarworld.com/exclusive-psycroptic-streaming-new-album-inherited-repression

Can anyone access it?

I can't believe I missed it, I'm really looking forward to that album.

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

QPZIL posted:

:3:

Aww, thanks buddy. I'll work on more, I just haven't been in the mood to write lately, and when I have it's been all depressive black metal. Winter tends to do that. I've had the itch to play more thrash though, so I'll try to get back on that.

Also the girl doing vocals moved to Texas, but she and I have similar screaming voices so it's do-able.

Sounds like someone needs to write a song about seasonal affective disorder.

Hellwuzzat
Nov 28, 2008
Just got some signed Woods of Ypres vinyls in the mail. Turns out Mr. Gold signed his name in gold ink. Nice touch.

Leopold N. Loeb
Apr 26, 2010

by XyloJW

fappenmeister posted:

There's a band named Timeghoul, and they have had some early releases of theirs reissued on Dark Descent. I'd never heard of them until last week, but I bought the album anyway.

I think they use lots of sci fi themes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oDbAQRMG4zE

Timeghoul is very cool. Honestly, I have never checked out their lyrics. Far as I know, they only released 2 demos. Def check them out if you can.

Guzwar
Feb 21, 2006
Everything's coming up Milhouse!

Misogynist posted:

Dol Ammad - Star Tales
Incredibly pretentious Greek symphonic operatic electronic metal that sounds like if Therion did a collaboration with the composer who did all of Namco's Tales RPGs.

You weren't kidding with that description. Just checked out Eclipse (Corona of the Sun) and this is phenomenal stuff.

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

Radio Paranoia posted:

Also, for those who asked about Wildernessking a while back, their label, Antithetic Records are running a fundraiser for the vinyl release. It's basically a donation-preorder thing and it's a pretty nice way to support the band.

I really loving dig Wildernessking. They have a nice touch. I'm totally pledging once my paycheck comes in. I think this is a neat idea.

Objurium
Aug 8, 2009

Finally got around to finishing my show writeup from the Wolves in the Throne Room / Chelsea Wolfe show in LA a week or two ago. Hope you guys dig it.

http://www.cvltnation.com/a-dark-ni..._medium=twitter

I_Like_Me
Dec 26, 2004
For anybody interested in Eluveitie here's a quick interview of them.

http://www.musicpix.net/index.php/interviews/eluveities_frontman_chigrel_glanzmann_interview

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession
This barely fits here, but Metallica is hosting a 2 day festival where they will play the black album in its entirety the first night (yay?) and Ride The Lightning the second night (yay!). But the hilarious part is that so far there's only like 2 metal bands (3 if you count Avenged Sevenfold) out of like 15 announced, and they're The Sword and Liturgy:

quote:

Arctic Monkeys • Avenged Sevenfold
Modest Mouse • The Gaslight Anthem
Cage The Elephant • hosed Up • Best Coast
Hot Snakes • Titus Andronicus
Gary Clark Jr. • Lucero • Roky Erickson
The Black Angels • The Sword
A Place to Bury Strangers • Liturgy

http://www.brooklynvegan.com/archives/2012/02/orion_music_mor.html

This combined with the "lifestyle" part of the festival makes me think this is almost certainly just Lars concocting a scheme where young people will tell him he is cool and hip and not an old guy at all.

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional
Roky Erickson is the only worthwhile performer in that entire list.

Madox
Oct 25, 2004
Recedite, plebes!
http://metaltalk.net/news2012/2012585.php

quote:

MetalTalk.net have just been informed by a reliable source that Sharon Osbourne has fired Bill Ward. If this turns out to be true, as fully expected, then it won't go down well with the Metal community.

MetalTalk.net understands that Bill's replacement will be Tommy Clufetos from the Ozzy Osbourne band.

There is so much wrong with this, its unbelievable. My question isnt why Bill was given the shaft, or even why they dont bring on Vinnie, but why is Sharon in any position to fire Bill Ward? Seems like this whole reunion was being treated like a vehicle for Ozzy primarily.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Hahaha, what a bitch. Not a huge Sabbath fan but they are legend and you don't gently caress with legends. Last week I heard he was talking about "getting respect" whatever that meant and that leads to this.

Ozzy needs to just give it up. And isn't Iommi pretty much in the throes of death?

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Is Ozzy even aware of the world around him at this point?

Objurium
Aug 8, 2009

het posted:

Liturgy

Well, if there's one group whose pretentiousness rivals Lars' douche-baggedness...

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

The Clit Avoider posted:

Roky Erickson is the only worthwhile performer in that entire list.

Titus Andronicus is great.

Well, the play is, and if it was performed it would be the most metal thing on the gig.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

IRQ posted:

Is Ozzy even aware of the world around him at this point?

Read this somewhere else and it really sheds some light on the whole Ozzy legacy.

quote:

I don't know how complex his mind is. Did Ozzy ever write a song? Geezer Butler and Tony Iommi wrote everything in Black Sabbath and guys like Bob Daisley and Jake E. Lee wrote everything for Ozzy's "solo" career.

Sharon and Ozzy hosed over the band members' royalties and credits and fired anyone who complained. They got sued left and right, appropriately so, but committed perjury to win the lawsuits. I have no doubt if Randy Rhoads had lived to play on more than two albums he would have gotten screwed over too. Ozzy was involved in some great music in his day but he and Sharon are dishonest shitheads.

Ozzy never wrote much. He came up with the ideas for a few songs but everyone else would write the music and lyrics. When Dio joined Black Sabbath, Geezer Butler was thrilled because Dio wrote his own lyrics and it meant Geezer didn't have to work so hard anymore!

There is a perception of Ozzy as the "prince of darkness" and father of heavy metal but really he was a hired singer. Sharon, for right or wrong, deserves a lot of credit for shaping his image. On the Bark at the Moon album Ozzy is credited as the sole songwriter on every track when he probably didn't write more than a few words and none of the music. Without songwriting credits the band members wouldn't get paid any royalties. Bob Daisley, Lee Kerslake and Phil Soussan have all sued over poo poo like that.

After Ozzy was kicked out of Black Sabbath his new band was supposed to be called Blizzard of Ozz, and not a solo project, but when the album came out the record company printed the records as a solo Ozzy album without notifying any of the other band members.

Daisley wrote probably 90% of Ozzy's first five albums. Once he was out, Sharon hired John Purdell and Lemmy Kilmister to write No More Tears and Ozzmosis. It's obvious that different songwriters were involved, without even looking at the song credits, since No More Tears sounds so radically different from the previous Ozzy albums. If Ozzy was writing his own songs all those years there should be some continuity.

While I agree about Ozzy being easily manipulated, he was still a part of it and knew what was going on.

Sharon knew Ozzy was her meal ticket and she did everything to keep the gravy train rolling and keep every dime in the family. She's awful.

And ends with this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K05JWjA0atc :lol:

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
I don't necessarily disbelieve that, but I have a hard time conceptualizing anything on No More Tears being written by Lemmy.

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed

fatherdog posted:

I don't necessarily disbelieve that, but I have a hard time conceptualizing anything on No More Tears being written by Lemmy.

Lemmy wrote the lyrics to four songs on No More Tears - I Don't Want to Change the World, Mama I'm Coming Home, Desire, and Hellraiser.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Vintersorg posted:

Read this somewhere else and it really sheds some light on the whole Ozzy legacy.

I'm not really big on Sabbath or Ozzy in general, but I have no problem believing most of that.

My question was really more like "can Ozzy even perform a 45 minute set without forgetting where he is and possibly soiling himself?" I'm just not sure the guy qualifies as technically conscious at this point.

Leopold N. Loeb
Apr 26, 2010

by XyloJW

IRQ posted:

I'm not really big on Sabbath or Ozzy in general, but I have no problem believing most of that.

My question was really more like "can Ozzy even perform a 45 minute set without forgetting where he is and possibly soiling himself?" I'm just not sure the guy qualifies as technically conscious at this point.

Chick I was dating years back was besties with a chick who was dating Bill Ward's son. We hung with them in 'Frisco for a week.

The chick said Ozzy's mind was basically fried. And that was over a decade ago.

And producers/managers/who-the-gently caress-ever writing an artist's/band's songs are not unheard of, even in metal. I knew the Drummer from Flotsam And Jetsam around the same time, he said their manager had been writing most of their material for a few years at that point....

Gorilla Radio
May 10, 2007
On behalf of the Serbs, we're very sorry for the Hillary Clinton sniper incident. Next time, we'll aim better.

Leopold N. Loeb posted:

And producers/managers/who-the-gently caress-ever writing an artist's/band's songs are not unheard of, even in metal. I knew the Drummer from Flotsam And Jetsam around the same time, he said their manager had been writing most of their material for a few years at that point....

For me, this is only ok if the outsider was once a member of the band, such as in the cases of Finntroll or Immortal. Otherwise, the band should man up and write its own music, at least the music it records.

nuncle jimbo
Apr 3, 2009

:pcgaming:

Leopold N. Loeb posted:

To be fair this pair of sentences could be from about 1975

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Leopold N. Loeb posted:

Ah, someone else in denial about their age who doesn't realize that The Osbournes premiered on MTV ten years ago.

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

Gorilla Radio posted:

Otherwise, the band should man up and write its own music, at least the music it records.

Yeah, Elvis wasn't a dude because he sang songs written by others.

Misogynist posted:

Ah, someone else in denial about their age who doesn't realize that The Osbournes premiered on MTV ten years ago.

Precisely what I was thinking when I read that post. I can't believe it's been that long, that Jack and Kelly are all grown up and that Ozzy is likely even more of a wreck.

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional
Ozzy was apparently able to perform admirably at Hellfest when he played it in the not so distant past. And considering some of the states I've seen people in 20min before they're due to play, mental faculties aren't really 100% required.

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

It is now safe to turn off your computer.

The Clit Avoider posted:

Ozzy was apparently able to perform admirably at Hellfest when he played it in the not so distant past. And considering some of the states I've seen people in 20min before they're due to play, mental faculties aren't really 100% required.

Especially after doing it for so long. I've got off stage with the biggest "what did I just do for 30 minutes" feeling numerous times and I never play intoxicated. It's like full-body muscle memory.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Radio Paranoia posted:

Especially after doing it for so long. I've got off stage with the biggest "what did I just do for 30 minutes" feeling numerous times and I never play intoxicated. It's like full-body muscle memory.

I second that motion. Hell, I've played a show sick as a dog and then woken up in the van in another state and thought "wait did we play last night?" It's a really weird feeling.

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

and most importantly, I am free in all the ways that you are not.
I can't believe that loving oval office is shoving her cancerous rear end into what will be the last hurrah for Sabbath (assuming Iommi survives). I'm reading Iommi's book now and the picture he paints of bill ward is one of a guy you could not possibly have a problem with.

If he ain't behind the drums in a reunion I'll just have to be thankful I saw the original lineup once in my life and skip this one.

gently caress you sharon.

Spergio Leone posted:

Precisely what I was thinking when I read that post. I can't believe it's been that long, that Jack and Kelly are all grown up and that Ozzy is likely even more of a wreck.

Supposedly he's a lot more with it now that he fired a doctor who was literally writing the guy a prescription to counteract the effects of another prescription, and then writing one to counteract THAT one. I think I read he was on something like 20 different meds and over half of them were to fight side effects of other ones.

I guess now that he's off all that poo poo he's back to what you'd expect a lunatic rock star to be like after 40 years of coke and booze, and not a stroke victim like he was on TV.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
I saw Black Sabbath something like 5 or 6 years ago with the original line up, and Bill Ward was jamming the gently caress out of his kit. gently caress Sharon.

West
Jul 8, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

I saw Black Sabbath something like 5 or 6 years ago with the original line up, and Bill Ward was jamming the gently caress out of his kit. gently caress Sharon.

I really think this is an issue of Bill's disinterest which probably correlates equally with compensation as well as confidence in his physicality.

On a less dramatic note I posted a preview of the new Christian Mistress LP since Relapse was kind enough to give my team an advance copy.

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

It is now safe to turn off your computer.
Have any reasons been given for Ward not being involved? Did he do anything to warrant a "firing"?

I love Sharon Osbourne's personality outside of Ozzy/Sabbath related poo poo, but this is just ridiculous.

Raudedauden
Jun 18, 2005

Radio Paranoia posted:

Have any reasons been given for Ward not being involved? Did he do anything to warrant a "firing"?

I love Sharon Osbourne's personality outside of Ozzy/Sabbath related poo poo, but this is just ridiculous.

This letter was posted on the Bill Ward Facebook page last week. From the first part of the letter:

Bill Ward posted:

Statement on Black Sabbath Album & Tour:

Los Angeles, CA – February 2, 2012

Dear Sabbath Fans, Fellow Musicians and Interested Parties,

At this time, I would love nothing more than to be able to proceed with the Black Sabbath album and tour. However, I am unable to continue unless a "signable" contract is drawn up; a contract that reflects some dignity and respect toward me as an original member of the band. Last year, I worked diligently in good faith with Tony, Ozzy and Geezer. And on 11/11/11, again in good faith, I participated in the L.A. press conference. Several days ago, after nearly a year of trying to negotiate, another “unsignable” contract was handed to me.

Black Sabbath responded on their Facebook page:

Black Sabbath posted:

We were saddened to hear yesterday via Facebook that Bill declined publicly to participate in our current Black Sabbath plans...we have no choice but to continue recording without him although our door is always open... We are still in the UK with Tony. Writing and recording the new album and on a roll... See you at Download!!!

- Tony, Ozzy and Geezer

Madox
Oct 25, 2004
Recedite, plebes!
Bill Ward's son posted a long comment:
http://heavyrocktheplaylist.blogspot.com/2012/02/black-sabbath-bill-wards-son-aron-ward.html

From his description, it sounds like the band had a lot of work already done towards writing new material. It sucks that this is all in jeopardy now. Also the Black Sabbath facebook page has turned off user submissions, so a new page has been created

http://www.facebook.com/pages/1000000-Black-Sabbath-fans-say-yes-to-Bill-Ward/387229524625706?sk=wall&filter=2

Less Claypool
Apr 16, 2009

More Primus For Fucks Sake.

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

gently caress Sharon.

Also holy poo poo, first Negura Bunget show in NYC in April. :woop:

Duncan Doenitz
Nov 17, 2010

There are four lights.
How are Cannibal Corpse and Exhumed live? I'm not much of a fan of gore metal, but I might go to their show in April just because Jacksonville hardly ever gets good metal shows.

Less Claypool
Apr 16, 2009

More Primus For Fucks Sake.

llama_arse posted:

How are Cannibal Corpse and Exhumed live?

Both of them put on excellent shows, cannibal corpse especially. Suprising how energetic they are when most of their albums are kind of dull. If they are coming to your area, you should definitely check them out.

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

and most importantly, I am free in all the ways that you are not.

llama_arse posted:

How are Cannibal Corpse and Exhumed live? I'm not much of a fan of gore metal, but I might go to their show in April just because Jacksonville hardly ever gets good metal shows.

I'm not a CC fan at all but I'll still see them every time they come around if the show is cheap. They put on a loving A good show.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
Cannibal Corpse may be my favorite band to see live. They play every song perfectly live and the sound is always good. Corpsegrinder was an excellent choice as a new frontman.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thepitgoddess
Dec 23, 2009

Even Death Metal Monsters Love Cookies

llama_arse posted:

Hi! I'll probably drag my roommate up to that, just cause. Orlando and Tampa have been getting a lot of shows this spring (I assume because people know I'm leaving at the end of the year and are STACKING the shows, hah!).

Corpse is a fun live show, last time I saw them in Jville, it was a blast. Exhumed are super fun live, really cheesy gore-y fun. I just saw them at MDF and Hellfest and had a blast watching them both times- totally worth it.

Look for me- I'm short and blonde and, well, I'll be there.