Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf
oiseaux morts 1994, if you are that hard up for bank on Penny Stocks go for APDN.

Always bouncing between .057 and .072....always....always bouncing...always......

Anyway, CSCO finally broke $20/share! :dance:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

MrBigglesworth posted:

oiseaux morts 1994, if you are that hard up for bank on Penny Stocks go for APDN.

Like I said, I'm not looking to invest any money. That was just an example. I just want to understand how things work and why

Inverse Icarus
Dec 4, 2003

I run SyncRPG, and produce original, digital content for the Pathfinder RPG, designed from the ground up to be played online.

MrBigglesworth posted:

$10 more and some of my options won't be worthless!

Earnings tomorrow though, JC will say something dumb and we'll drop like a rock.

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

:chef: :eng99:
Yesterday: AGNC... gently caress
Today: AGNC... gently caress??

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

MrBigglesworth posted:

Always bouncing between .057 and .072....always....always bouncing...always......

Speaking of breaking through, the AAPL train is amazing... it's like a train of sexy gains. A sex train.

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

:chef: :eng99:

Josh Lyman posted:

Speaking of breaking through, the AAPL train is amazing... it's like a train of sexy gains. A sex train.

The chart is beautiful. They shouldve sent a poet..

ghadeed
Aug 3, 2006

How long are you going to ride the AAPL train? Do you think it has more room to grow?

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf
Very yes!

Nifty
Aug 31, 2004

My only regret about buying AAPL stock.. is that I didn't buy AAPL calls. Leverage those gains boys!

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered
I had $15k in AAPL in 2004 and sold it for 30% :P

resident
Dec 22, 2005

WE WERE ALL UP IN THAT SHIT LIKE A MUTHAFUCKA. IT'S CLEANER THAN A BROKE DICK DOG.

Do you guys aim for the trade commission to be a maximum percentage of the total trade value? I have an etrade account and am typically making trades on the order of $1k total value but it feels unintelligent taking 2-3% of the value off the top for the buy/sell commission. I am long in everything with the expectation of holding the stock for at least a year so at least I'm not losing a stupid amount of money pretending to be a day trader.

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Tasty and Delicious posted:

I'm not 100% sure about dividends but I think they will provide payouts. If you have 100.123 shares you want to sell, your tell your broker to sell 100 and they'll eventually compensate you for the remaining .123. You can't buy/sell fractional shares directly.

ING/Sharebuilder lets me sell fractional shares. I can only sell all or none of my fractional shares, though; if I have 2.58 shares of something I can sell only 0.58, 1.00, 1.58, 2.00, or 2.58 shares of it. Plus, when I use their automated investment tool, I have to specify a dollar amount rather than a number of shares to buy, effectively allowing me to buy fractional shares as well.

The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

If found, please return this poster to GIP. His mothers are very worried and miss him very much.
What happened to NLY today?

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

What happened to the entire market between 11 and noon?

Inverse Icarus
Dec 4, 2003

I run SyncRPG, and produce original, digital content for the Pathfinder RPG, designed from the ground up to be played online.
http://blogs.marketwatch.com/thetell/2012/02/08/investors-seldom-reward-cisco-results/

quote:

Investors seldom reward Cisco results

Computer network equipment maker Cisco is expected to report gains in both sales and earnings for its second fiscal quarter on Wednesday.

The company’s expected to make 43 cents a share on revenue of $11.2 billion, according to a consensus survey by FactSet Research.

Cisco hasn’t missed earnings estimates in the past five years, according to data compiled by Bespoke Investment Group.

And analysts are looking for signs of strength and stability from the tech giant in its latest report.

But notwithstanding its historical earnings performance, Cisco’s shares don’t seem to enjoy market support following the company’s financial results, according to Bespoke.

The stock averages a 1.3% decline in the day after results are released.

Colonel Taint
Mar 14, 2004

Cmdr. Shepard posted:

What happened to NLY today?

Most likely a reaction to the 8-K NLY filed after hours yesterday

http://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/1043219/000115752312000577/a50160705ex99_1.htm

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered
People say Yahoo finance forums are useless, but I found this little treasure trove today - http://messages.finance.yahoo.com/Stocks_%28A_to_Z%29/Stocks_N/threadview?m=tm&bn=23441&tid=313610&mid=313610&tof=2&frt=2

imabmf
Mar 10, 2004

Inverse Icarus posted:

http://blogs.marketwatch.com/thetell/2012/02/08/investors-seldom-reward-cisco-results/

quote:

Investors seldom reward Cisco results

Computer network equipment maker Cisco is expected to report gains in both sales and earnings for its second fiscal quarter on Wednesday.

The company’s expected to make 43 cents a share on revenue of $11.2 billion, according to a consensus survey by FactSet Research.

Cisco hasn’t missed earnings estimates in the past five years, according to data compiled by Bespoke Investment Group.

And analysts are looking for signs of strength and stability from the tech giant in its latest report.

But notwithstanding its historical earnings performance, Cisco’s shares don’t seem to enjoy market support following the company’s financial results, according to Bespoke.

The stock averages a 1.3% decline in the day after results are released.

.47 per share..whoop whoop.

bam thwok
Sep 20, 2005
I sure hope I don't get banned

The Wall Street Journal posted:

Groupon reported a surprise net loss for the fourth quarter, sending shares down 12% after hours.

Who, exactly, was surprised by this?

flowinprose
Sep 11, 2001

Where were you? .... when they built that ladder to heaven...

bam thwok posted:

Who, exactly, was surprised by this?

I'm seriously kicking myself for not buying groupon puts after the stock ran up $6 per share (+30% !) over the last month or so.

The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

If found, please return this poster to GIP. His mothers are very worried and miss him very much.
How do you buy a put? Isn't that just a fancy name for a short? Investopedia hasn't helped me clarify the difference in the two.

Crazyweasel
Oct 29, 2006
lazy

Cmdr. Shepard posted:

How do you buy a put? Isn't that just a fancy name for a short? Investopedia hasn't helped me clarify the difference in the two.

A Put is an options contract. If you buy a put then the person who wrote it is contractually obligated to buy your 100 shares at the strike place. Shorting is borrowing stock, selling it for it's current value, then owing the lender the amount of shares borrowed when you close out your position(Ex. Borrow 20 shares of XYZ, sell at $15 for net $300. A week later buy 20 shares of XYZ at $10 per for $200, give the 20 shares back to lender, realize $100 profit). In both cases you are looking for a stock price to drop, but of course a put comes with the standard risks options have.

Crazyweasel fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Feb 8, 2012

Inverse Icarus
Dec 4, 2003

imabmf posted:

.47 per share..whoop whoop.

Dividends up 2 cents... To a total of 8 cents.

And we're already down after-hours.

ghadeed
Aug 3, 2006

What the hell is Chamber's problem? Why doesn't someone ever shut him up?

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered

ghadeed posted:

What the hell is Chamber's problem? Why doesn't someone ever shut him up?

What are you mad about? His unusually honest approach to corporate earnings calls?

The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

What's the story behind the image in the op?

imabmf
Mar 10, 2004

Inverse Icarus posted:

Dividends up 2 cents... To a total of 8 cents.

And we're already down after-hours.

if they keep upping the Dividend, I just might have to hold my position longer than I expected to. I know it's not much but I went in on them pretty big (for me) over the last year.

Canescans
Mar 3, 2008
I think that you guys are missing out on a good opportunity to grab some strangles on CSCO stock, imo options for six months out are extremely cheap relative to the control that you can get over the stock so I grabbed some on Tuesday. Even though the after hours movement was disappointing (it was up over 4% at one point though), the dividend bump could increase share demand and institutional buying in the next month, and worst case scenario i can dump the options spread for a mild amount of time decay or just go long on a few hundred shares.

Edit: Also in general I'd like to say that I really value reading the analysis of a lot of the posters here who are really familiar with these tech companies and appreciate the perspective you guys have. Keep posting!

resident
Dec 22, 2005

WE WERE ALL UP IN THAT SHIT LIKE A MUTHAFUCKA. IT'S CLEANER THAN A BROKE DICK DOG.

Canescans posted:

I think that you guys are missing out on a good opportunity to grab some strangles on CSCO stock, imo options for six months out are extremely cheap relative to the control that you can get over the stock so I grabbed some on Tuesday. Even though the after hours movement was disappointing (it was up over 4% at one point though), the dividend bump could increase share demand and institutional buying in the next month, and worst case scenario i can dump the options spread for a mild amount of time decay or just go long on a few hundred shares.

Edit: Also in general I'd like to say that I really value reading the analysis of a lot of the posters here who are really familiar with these tech companies and appreciate the perspective you guys have. Keep posting!

I bought in to INVN at 15.84 and wish I would have gotten in right after their IPO like I told myself I would. They create the 3D motion sensing technology that basically made the Wii what it is. I heard that they were all set to be in the iPhone4 but Apple thought they were too small of a company and went with ST Micro instead. I somewhat expect them to be in an Apple product at some point in addition to a significant number of new smart phones, cameras, and any consumer electronics that can utilize 3D motion sensing.

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf
Edit=Nevermind, found what I needed.

MrBigglesworth fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Feb 9, 2012

bam thwok
Sep 20, 2005
I sure hope I don't get banned

Cmdr. Shepard posted:

What's the story behind the image in the op?

Flash crash in May of 2010. Out of no where blue chips started plummeting like crazy before recovering just as fast. Widely believed to be the result of poorly coded high-frequency trading programs back by enough cash to move the market.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2010_Flash_Crash

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice

MrBigglesworth posted:

What would I have needed to put in, and the costs, etc to have setup an option for that condition as of two weeks ago? Is there usually a minimum amount needed to process this type of transaction?

One thing to realize is that 1 option is equal to 100 shares. So yes, there is a minimum. When you see the option price multiply that by 100 to get your cost (excluding broker fee, which varies by broker).

For your particular example, looking it up on CBOE.com the price of one call (the option you buy when you think the price is going up) of AAPL a couple of weeks ago with a strike price of $480 and an expiration date of 2/17 would have been somewhere around $1. You multiply that by 100 so for one call it would have cost you a bit over a hundred including broker fees (online brokers would charge about $10 or less).

At the time of this post that option is worth about $9.05, so if you sold it you'd get $905 less broker fee. You'd basically end up with about an $800 profit (per option) minus broker fees. So risk $100, get $900. Possibly lose $100 if things didn't work out the way you planned and the option expires worthless. If you keep the option and don't sell it you buy 100 shares of AAPL at $480/share when the option expires (if the price of AAPL is above $480). So, either sell it before it expires or make sure you have $48000+ cash (per option) sitting in your account.

Edit: These prices change constantly. When I started this post, that particular option was priced at around $9. Now that I'm done, the option price is around $11.

nelson fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Feb 9, 2012

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf
Ok, that clears it up a bit for me. For some reason my mind wasnt separating the right to buy, but not the obligation.

Is it similar to say that when trading options, you become somewhat a broker if you aren't buying the shares? You are simply becoming someone else's middleman?

Jack
Jan 19, 2001
Its pretty funny how the nasdaq is now essentially a single stock. CSCO, MSFT, INTC ect. market caps peaked around 500 billion and AAPL should reach that pretty soon.

Either that will mark a multi year high yet again for the nasdaq, or we'll see AAPL become the first trillion dollar company and the nasdaq will head back to 5k.

Talk about cornered though.

The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

MrBigglesworth posted:

Very yes!

Picked up AAPL right after you posted this and I don't regret it.

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf
Yeah they are on a crazy tear today. Supposedly the iPad3 is coming in March?

Kneel Before Zog
Jan 16, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Where do you guys go to check stock quotes? And do any of you use level 2 quotes to help with your purchases?

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

This has been a great thread for learning about trading. I have no money to throw away doing so though, but it has also introduced me to the Investopedia sim which is great gaming.

I hopped on an AAPL call two days ago just to see what happened, thinking I had missed the train anyway. Looks pretty good right about now.

Shame those are only virtual profits // good thing those are only virtual profits as it will all be lost soon enough I assume. But it's a great browser game and learning tool, is it ok to keep that chat here or should it get its own thread?

YeahDavidLeeRoth
Sep 23, 2008

I wanted to get in on AAPL back when they dropped to ~360 but didn't have the cash. Should have bought call options at that point but pussied out. Live and learn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colonel Taint
Mar 14, 2004

I feel like this is a dumb question, but who's responsible for covering options after they're sold? Is it always the original writer of the option?

Colonel Taint fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Feb 9, 2012