Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

SnafuAl posted:

Having watched the Superbowl on BBC, I didn't see any ads, except for catching the tail end of one or two when they cut to the NBC feed slightly early. One such transition was to shots of Indianapolis, with one of the commentators saying "The beautiful city of Indianapolis, brought to you by Bud Light".

I'm sure there was some context I missed, but it certainly seemed to imply that Bud Light was sponsoring the entire city.
Is that not a thing that happens on British broadcasts of sporting events? Companies sponsor every-loving-thing. In this case, it was the blimp that was providing those shots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

CapnAndy posted:

Is that not a thing that happens on British broadcasts of sporting events? Companies sponsor every-loving-thing. In this case, it was the blimp that was providing those shots.
The BBC doesn't do advertising.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

jojoinnit posted:

The BBC doesn't do advertising.

So, like...the King pays for it, or something?

MD2020
May 30, 2003

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

DrBouvenstein posted:

So, like...the King pays for it, or something?

IIRC, every home that has a TV pays a tax that funds the BBC.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

MD2020 posted:

IIRC, every home that has a TV pays a tax that funds the BBC.

Yup. It's called the License Fee. You can be fined for having a TV and not paying the fee. It's a bit of a boondoggle these days with the iPlayer because now you can watch BBC content without having a telly, and someone tried to introduce a law that would add the license fee to everyone with internet, but thankfully that got shut down sharpish.

Farbtoner
May 17, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post
The commercial for Acts of Valor, in addition to looking like an awful movie independent of literally being a recruitment film for the Navy SEALS, amuses me to no end because somewhere over the past decade Eminem went from being one of those thug rappers who's corrupting our children to being patriotic red-blooded OORAH music.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

That movie doesn't come out for like two or three more weeks too. It's not a good sign when you can tell the acting is going to be bad from the trailer. Not totally sure those ACTIVE DUTY NAVY SEALS are acting material.

Tardcore
Jan 24, 2011

Not cool enough for the Spider-man club.

jojoinnit posted:

Yup. It's called the License Fee. You can be fined for having a TV and not paying the fee. It's a bit of a boondoggle these days with the iPlayer because now you can watch BBC content without having a telly, and someone tried to introduce a law that would add the license fee to everyone with internet, but thankfully that got shut down sharpish.

This post is everything that is right with how the British talk.

MD2020
May 30, 2003

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Farbtoner posted:

The commercial for Acts of Valor, in addition to looking like an awful movie independent of literally being a recruitment film for the Navy SEALS, amuses me to no end because somewhere over the past decade Eminem went from being one of those thug rappers who's corrupting our children to being patriotic red-blooded OORAH music.

This happens with most "controversial" music or culture over time. Look at Elvis or The Beatles.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Meltathon posted:

That movie doesn't come out for like two or three more weeks too. It's not a good sign when you can tell the acting is going to be bad from the trailer. Not totally sure those ACTIVE DUTY NAVY SEALS are acting material.

The weird thing about it is since they actually are active duty Navy Seals they won't be credited in the movie.

RaspberryCommie
May 3, 2008

Stop! My penis can only get so erect.
Not really bad commercial, but there's still no good commercial thread so...

They brought Terry Crews back for Old Spice. And the new ads are incredible.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

RaspberryCommie posted:

Not really bad commercial, but there's still no good commercial thread so...

They brought Terry Crews back for Old Spice. And the new ads are incredible.

I'm partial to these two:

Bounce

Charmin

Edit: But I feel guilty for liking them because they're by Tim and Eric...:ohdear:

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

I don't remember seeing this commercial during the super bowl, but Mean Joe Greene references never get old to me.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=dAFvrAbogSc

DJExile posted:

Yeah this. The commercial itself was just kind of weird, but Elton rocking an overblown monarch outfit was great.

That girl I guess I'm supposed to recognize from American Idol or something pissing all over the music of Aretha Franklin wasn't so great, though.

raditts fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Feb 8, 2012

Glenn_Beckett
Sep 13, 2008

When I see a 9/11 victim family on television I'm just like 'Given the existence as uttered forth in the public works of Puncher and Wattmann of a personal God quaquaqua'

DrBouvenstein posted:

Edit: But I feel guilty for liking them because they're by Tim and Eric...:ohdear:

What a stupid sentence.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

There's a Just for Men commerical with a baby with a goatee that dances. It's loving creepy.

Category Fun!
Dec 2, 2008

im just trying to get you into bed

jojoinnit posted:

And before anyone flips out about Orwellian police states, the TV licensing organisation are hilariously inept and spend most of their time sending scary letters to student accommodation to scare students into buying a TV license and threatening to perform inspections. There's really no way for anyone to know if you don't have a TV license unless you get some kind of cable or satellite package.

Arschlochkind
Mar 29, 2010

:stare:

Category Fun! posted:

And before anyone flips out about Orwellian police states, the TV licensing organisation are hilariously inept and spend most of their time sending scary letters to student accommodation to scare students into buying a TV license and threatening to perform inspections. There's really no way for anyone to know if you don't have a TV license unless you get some kind of cable or satellite package.

Don't they also have vans with some sort of fake "illegal TV signal detecting equipment" they use to scare people into paying too?

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

CapnAndy posted:

Combos are the official cheese filled snack food of NASCAR!

Which actually seems like anti-advertising to me, because now I'm curious what their direct competitor is in the "little pretzels with some cheese inside" market.

Category Fun!
Dec 2, 2008

im just trying to get you into bed

Arschlochkind posted:

Don't they also have vans with some sort of fake "illegal TV signal detecting equipment" they use to scare people into paying too?

Yes, and they're hilarious.

WHEEZY KISS A DUDE
Dec 28, 2000

ASK ME HOW TO GET FREE BEER!
(THE ANSWER IS "CHEATING GOONS OUT OF IT")

Sash! posted:

Combos are the official cheese filled snack food of NASCAR!

Which actually seems like anti-advertising to me, because now I'm curious what their direct competitor is in the "little pretzels with some cheese inside" market.

Take your pick.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

DrBouvenstein posted:

Bounce

Charmin

You forgot the best one.

POTATO CHIPS!

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

WHEEZY KISS A DUDE posted:

Take your pick.

That list sure is dominated by Combos!

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
For some reason the Art Institutes ads that play ALL THE loving TIME on Adult Swim just annoy the poo poo out of me. But at the same time, I can't remember a single detail about them. They are literally white noise after the moment the ad ends.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?
Mother loving Everest commercials. I swear they've been on TV atleast three years now, but it sure feels like thirty. They have to know that talking down to the audience is a bad habit.

All you gotta do is watch the video. Why you makin' it complicated? It's easy!

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
The Jumbaco commercial.

gently caress off. I'm trying to watch the Kings game and you shitlords come in with your earworm garbage.

I'm boycotting them until I can get through a game without hearing that commercial.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
I hate how the store is called Dunkin Donuts and everyone I have ever met has called it Dunkin Donuts, yet they insist on calling the place simply 'Dunkin' in the commercials on the radio and for some reason that pisses me off. It's like they're trying to get people to call it that in some attempt to disassociate the unhealthy 'Donut' from the brand but it is forced and I don't like when the manipulation is so obvious.

gently caress you Dunkin Donuts, gently caress you.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

DrBouvenstein posted:

Bounce

Charmin

Holy poo poo these are awesome. That Bounce one is the best.

The Grimace posted:

Mother loving Everest commercials. I swear they've been on TV atleast three years now, but it sure feels like thirty. They have to know that talking down to the audience is a bad habit.

All you gotta do is watch the video. Why you makin' it complicated? It's easy!

I've been staying at my parents' place until I can find work. My folks watch loving Jerry Springer, Steve Wolzkos or whatever, and Maury and these ads come on during almost every loving break.

And they wonder why I don't watch TV with them.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

I hate how the store is called Dunkin Donuts and everyone I have ever met has called it Dunkin Donuts, yet they insist on calling the place simply 'Dunkin' in the commercials on the radio and for some reason that pisses me off. It's like they're trying to get people to call it that in some attempt to disassociate the unhealthy 'Donut' from the brand but it is forced and I don't like when the manipulation is so obvious.

This bugs me, too. At least it's more because they have some sort of slogan like "I'm Drinkin' Dunkin'" then it is just trying to change it's image. Remember years ago when McDonald's commercials insisted on calling it Mickey D's?

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Yeah, I still hear Mickey D's thrown around occasionally in ads and it's just as eye rolling.

Their slogan is 'America Runs on Dunkin' which is fine because they sell more than just coffee and doughnuts. But I have never ever in my life heard someone refer to their coffee as just Dunkin. If someone said "I'll take a Dunkin with two sugars!" to me I'd probably be intentionally obtuse until they said coffee just because I'm a dick like that.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Category Fun! posted:

Yes, and they're hilarious.

Heh, this was a joke on an old Doctor Who episode ("Remembrance of the Daleks"). The Doctor and Ace see a van with some weird looking aerials on it, the Doctor says "What do you suppose that is?" and Ace says "I dunno, TV detector van?" (They're in 1963.)

Doomsday Jesus
Oct 8, 2004

Doomsday Jesus we need you now.

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

I could be wrong but I think it has to do with them branching out from just donuts and coffee. They sell breakfast sandwiches now, and some locations offer ice cream treats.

Doesn't make their commercials any better.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Doomsday Jesus posted:

Doesn't make their commercials any better.

Or their coffee.

This whole Dunkin' thing reminds me of RadioShack trying desperately to have everyone call them The Shack. Did they ever actually change their name or was that also a marketing thing?

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 15 days!)

SpacePig posted:

This bugs me, too. At least it's more because they have some sort of slogan like "I'm Drinkin' Dunkin'" then it is just trying to change it's image. Remember years ago when McDonald's commercials insisted on calling it Mickey D's?

I know people who call McDonald's Mickey D's and have been calling it that forever.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
Dunkin Donuts has been selling more coffee than donuts for a while now. It's why they slaughtered Krispy Kreme in the northeast.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

Peanut President posted:

I know people who call McDonald's Mickey D's and have been calling it that forever.

It's one thing to have it as a nickname. It's another to try to adopt the persona and try to force it to be commonplace.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

ElwoodCuse posted:

Dunkin Donuts has been selling more coffee than donuts for a while now. It's why they slaughtered Krispy Kreme in the northeast.

It also didn't help that Krispy Kreme really overextended themselves a couple of years ago.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

muscles like this? posted:

It also didn't help that Krispy Kreme really overextended themselves a couple of years ago.

And the corporation was managed like someone's personal side gig.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

skooma512 posted:

The Jumbaco commercial.

gently caress off. I'm trying to watch the Kings game and you shitlords come in with your earworm garbage.

I'm boycotting them until I can get through a game without hearing that commercial.

Its' run is probably over already since they're rolling out the commercial where the dude marries bacon.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Thwomp posted:

This whole Dunkin' thing reminds me of RadioShack trying desperately to have everyone call them The Shack. Did they ever actually change their name or was that also a marketing thing?

Not sure about the States, but in Canada they changed the name of their stores to The Source.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Vakal posted:

Not sure about the States, but in Canada they changed the name of their stores to The Source.