Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chimz
Jul 27, 2005

Science isn't about why, it's about why not.

Serendipitaet posted:

I'm having trouble syncing Google calendar with iCal.

Did you go into iCal preferences -> Accounts -> (Google CalDAV account) -> Delegation tab
and select all the calendars in there? You may need to wait a bit or hit refresh to see them listed.

On some of Google's services (I think Google Sync/Active Directory sync only), you have to enable sync for your secondary calendars.
On iPhone: https://www.google.com/calendar/iphoneselect
or possibly https://m.google.com/sync/settings/iconfig/
also look at http://m.google.com/sync

wwb posted:

What I want to do is pretty standard on windows at least -- have a service (daemon) start as a given user when the computer boots. I don't want to have to have anyone login or otherwise touch the machine, just boot, fire up service and start taking requests. It is important to run as a given user because running stuff as root is generally bad and also because this build agent needs a particular keychain to work right.

Apparently the recommended juju is to setup a user to auto-login then lock the workstation. Sounds really ugly / kludgy to me but then again doing most non-interactive stuff on a mac is.

You can't get info from a keychain without unlocking it, and that requires the user's password, usually provided when they log in or by setting up autologin. Have you looked at the UserName key for a LaunchDaemon plist? What you might be able to do (speaking from almost no direct experience doing this) is set the UserName key to run a server on boot as some other user, but put the keychain entries in the System keychain instead of the user's login keychain, which should allow your program to get at them without needing the user to have provided their password. Or, you could check out the 'security' command line tool which can do things like unlock a specific keychain given a password.

The absolute easiest way to get it to work would be to set up autologin, create a shell script which launches your server, and add that to the Login Items list for your user in System Preferences.

chimz fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Feb 8, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Sprat Sandwich posted:

I'm doing exactly this - Lion and Win 7 on a mid-2009 MBP and it's pretty much flawless. You can even install Windows on a separate partition and run that install as a VM so if you need to do something quick you just run the VM and if there are some things that need a bit more boot to the proper install.

How does this work out for gaming in windows? VMware is kind of crap in that regard in my experience.

Granted it'd probably be ideal if I couldnt play games in class....

In any case I think you guys pushed me off the fence, I'm waiting to hear back from the school store as to whether they can special order one for me with the high res matte display.

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

gggiiimmmppp posted:

How does this work out for gaming in windows? VMware is kind of crap in that regard in my experience.

Granted it'd probably be ideal if I couldnt play games in class....

In any case I think you guys pushed me off the fence, I'm waiting to hear back from the school store as to whether they can special order one for me with the high res matte display.

Uhh, I haven't tried a lot of games but for Boot Camped Windows my MBP is pretty much a good ol' Core 2 Duo machine with a crappy mobile GeForce like any other laptop from that era and I can't really see it being any different today.

I haven't used a VM for gaming, but I can't imagine it being very fun.

wwb
Aug 17, 2004

chimz posted:

You can't get info from a keychain without unlocking it, and that requires the user's password, usually provided when they log in or by setting up autologin. Have you looked at the UserName key for a LaunchDaemon plist? What you might be able to do (speaking from almost no direct experience doing this) is set the UserName key to run a server on boot as some other user, but put the keychain entries in the System keychain instead of the user's login keychain, which should allow your program to get at them without needing the user to have provided their password. Or, you could check out the 'security' command line tool which can do things like unlock a specific keychain given a password.

The absolute easiest way to get it to work would be to set up autologin, create a shell script which launches your server, and add that to the Login Items list for your user in System Preferences.

Thanks. The general response I'm getting is similar -- probably going to admit defeat, setup auto login and try to sleep at night knowing I'm creating glaring security holes . . .

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Sprat Sandwich posted:

Uhh, I haven't tried a lot of games but for Boot Camped Windows my MBP is pretty much a good ol' Core 2 Duo machine with a crappy mobile GeForce like any other laptop from that era and I can't really see it being any different today.

I haven't used a VM for gaming, but I can't imagine it being very fun.

I guess what I'm asking is, if I do the thing where I can use the windows install as a VM or boot it directly, does booting directly actually run natively on the hardware or is it still virtualized? Can I just install a proper windows install to another partition and then run that in a VM? This is confusing to me :psyduck:.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

gggiiimmmppp posted:

I guess what I'm asking is, if I do the thing where I can use the windows install as a VM or boot it directly, does booting directly actually run natively on the hardware or is it still virtualized? Can I just install a proper windows install to another partition and then run that in a VM? This is confusing to me :psyduck:.

What you do is that you install windows as a bootcamped partition, and if you like, you can restart the machine and be in a normal, native windows environment. If you then import that partition into vmware, you're still running it as a virtual environment with all the limitations this entail. The only difference is that the data on your VM and the data on your bootcamped windows are the same: anything you do in the VM is reflected in the bootcamped windows (for the simple reason that you're running the exact same instance of windows). The key part that makes the whole thing work is the VMware tools that essentially tell windows that “yes, yes, this is completely different hardware compared to what you saw 3 minutes ago — it's fine, stop bitching.”

This gives you the option of simply starting the VM if you want some of VMWare's integration with your OSX desktop, but if you need the extra oomph of running directly on the hardware, you can do that as well without needing to synch up two different installs.

In short: VMware will still work just like VMware; bootcamp will still work just like bootcamp; both just happen to use the same windows installation.

Tippis fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Feb 8, 2012

El Duke Silver
Aug 15, 2008

rarely goes out and should never be approached

gggiiimmmppp posted:

to make it simpler than ^^^, Boot Camp is a native Windows install that you boot directly. You can then use that install partition in a VM while booted into OS X.

mongoibur
Jun 10, 2005

take my breath away
Do any of you use theft tracking software like the prey project, hidden or something else? I work at a school, and sometimes things disappear.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Does anyone know of a way to open Photoshop CS5 in 32bit mode easily, without manually checking "open in 32bit" in the info pane every time? I was hoping I could just make an alias and set that to launch in 32bit mode, but alas I can't.

I do a lot of video -> gif stuff, and the video import feature only works in 32bit mode. What a pain.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Martytoof posted:

Does anyone know of a way to open Photoshop CS5 in 32bit mode easily, without manually checking "open in 32bit" in the info pane every time? I was hoping I could just make an alias and set that to launch in 32bit mode, but alas I can't.

I do a lot of video -> gif stuff, and the video import feature only works in 32bit mode. What a pain.
Not sure if PS would bitch about it, but with Safari (where some security camera plugin needed 32-bit) I just made a copy of the app and set that one to 32-bit.

decypher
Aug 23, 2003

Who else see da leprechaun say yaaaa!

mongoibur posted:

Do any of you use theft tracking software like the prey project, hidden or something else? I work at a school, and sometimes things disappear.

I'm sure you're aware of iCloud's Find My Mac feature which allows you to see its rough location on a map, send it messages, or remotely wipe it.

There's also software which allows you to remotely snap a picture of your web cam and send the picture to your email for evidence.

If you are command line savvy, you could enable SSH, and in coordination with a service like DynDns, get the IP sent to you of the person who stole it when they get online, allowing you to log into your computer and do whatever.

You could also install a keylogger and have it setup to mail you the logs. The thief's email credentials? Yes, I would like that.

I'm sorry I don't have anything more concrete than that but hopefully it helps.

edit: grammar

decypher fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Feb 8, 2012

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

decypher posted:

I'm sure you're aware of iCloud's Find My Mac feature which allows you to see its rough location on a map, send it messages, or remotely wipe it.

There's also software which allows you to remotely snap a picture of your web cam and send the picture to your email for evidence.

If you are command line savvy, you could enable SSH, and in coordination with a service like DynDns, get the IP sent to you of the person who stole it when they get online, allowing you to log into your computer and do whatever.

You could also install a keylogger and have it setup to mail you the logs. The thief's email credentials? Yes, I would like that.

I'm sorry I don't have anything more concrete than that but hopefully it helps.

edit: grammar
You've seen this talk haven't you: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U4oB28ksiIo

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

japtor posted:

Not sure if PS would bitch about it, but with Safari (where some security camera plugin needed 32-bit) I just made a copy of the app and set that one to 32-bit.

Yeah, turns out Photoshop is pretty picky about this. Thanks for the suggestion, but I don't think that's a viable option.

stray
Jun 28, 2005

"It's a jet pack, Michael. What could possibly go wrong?"
Here's a quick question for the thread.

Mac OS X Lion comes with Python 2.7.1 installed, but since Apple probably won't update it until 10.8 comes out, I've installed 2.7.2 using homebrew. However, when I use which python, it still points to the python in /usr/bin. Homebrew installed the newer Python to /usr/local/bin, so how do I tell Mac OS to use that Python instead of the default?

decypher
Aug 23, 2003

japtor posted:

You've seen this talk haven't you: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U4oB28ksiIo

I can't imagine what the dude thought when the PowerMac told him, "I'm gonna get you mother fucker!"

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Martytoof posted:

Yeah, turns out Photoshop is pretty picky about this. Thanks for the suggestion, but I don't think that's a viable option.
Well I just thought of one other possible method, although I have no clue if it's actually possible since I've never tried it. Maybe you can set up some script or Automator action to launch it in 32-bit mode?

Peter Radiator
Aug 1, 2004

somebody got hurt
somebody get hurt
code:
arch -arch i386 /Applications/appname.app/Contents/MacOS/appname &
Will launch an app in 32-bit mode. You could put that in a shell script or use automator to run it whenever you want to use photoshop in 32-bit mode. Tried it out and it worked fine for safari.

johnnyXcrane
Aug 16, 2011
I want to cut scenes from Youtube videos and create a compilation video.
What is the easiest way to do that, iMovie? But how do i download the Youtube video and how do i import it?

decypher
Aug 23, 2003

johnnyXcrane posted:

What is the easiest way to do that, iMovie? But how do i download the Youtube video and how do i import it?

You can use Safari's Activity Monitor to download the videos(Window > Activity Monitor off the top of my head). Find the youtube page in Activity Monitor and highlight and Cmd-C the video file. Then click your downloads button and click somewhere on the list and hit Cmd-V. It'll start downloading the youtube video. If you don't see a download start, you're pasting into Safari and not the Downloads list.

If it's 480p or lower I think it saves as an .flv file which would need to be converted before throwing it at iMovie. 720, 1080 should be .mp4 files. Handbrake will easily convert the flv files to an iMovie friendly format.

edit: If you're having trouble determining which file is the video file, it is always going to be the largest file and if you load activity monitor while the youtube page is still downloading, you will be able to see the download progress of the video.

decypher fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Feb 9, 2012

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

decypher posted:

Question: How does remote erase work, exactly? If you have FileVault2 enabled then just erase the encryption key, easy, but otherwise it takes hours to do a secure erase of a drive. Don't see how it would be possible to achieve in a way that wouldn't be trivial for somebody looking to recover the data to stop / recover from.

Cyne
May 30, 2007
Beauty is a rare thing.

stray posted:

Mac OS X Lion comes with Python 2.7.1 installed, but since Apple probably won't update it until 10.8 comes out, I've installed 2.7.2 using homebrew. However, when I use which python, it still points to the python in /usr/bin. Homebrew installed the newer Python to /usr/local/bin, so how do I tell Mac OS to use that Python instead of the default?

If you want python to run from /usr/local/bin, an alias will do. Add this line to ~/.bash_profile:
code:
alias python='/usr/local/bin/python'
You can also modify your PATH variable in .bash_profile to point to /usr/local/bin first, but I like to avoid doing that. In my opinion it's best to just make an alias when you specifically know you want to use a different version.

ferretsrule
Jul 8, 2010

It's an ostrich :)

johnnyXcrane posted:

ClickToPlugin allows you to right click videos and download from there.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Peter Radiator posted:

code:
arch -arch i386 /Applications/appname.app/Contents/MacOS/appname &
Will launch an app in 32-bit mode. You could put that in a shell script or use automator to run it whenever you want to use photoshop in 32-bit mode. Tried it out and it worked fine for safari.

Awesome, I'll try to automate this somehow. Thanks!

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

ferretsrule posted:

ClickToPlugin allows you to right click videos and download from there.
Yeah this or YouTube5 are the easiest ways to download off YouTube.

From there you can trim and put clips together with QuickTime Player, simpler than making a whole iMovie project out of it if that's all you want to do. If you end up with any flvs you can open them of you have Perian installed.

Martytoof posted:

I think if you put it into a plain text file, then change the extension to "command" it'll then be a double clickable shell script (might have to change the execute bit to get it to work). I think that leaves a Terminal window open though. I think in AppleScript you just do "do shell script "that script"" (minus those outside quotes), or something similarly simple in Automator.

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

I wanted to be a neo deconstructivist, but Mom wouldn't let me.

japtor posted:

Does middle clicking work? I have command click mapped to three finger tap but no clue on middle click.

Did you install Lion the normal way (from the store installer or make your own install disc) or do some cloning stuff? If you do "diskutil list" in Terminal, does "Apple_Boot Recovery HD" show up anywhere? If it doesn't show up uh, I'm not sure. Did you use the Recovery Disk Assistant to make any USB boot drives? If so I guess maybe you could clone that back, otherwise maybe the Lion installer has it somewhere inside that you could extract.

Well CCC added backing up to a network share a little while back so I guess that could work. If you need a bootable disk it's kind of limited cause network protocols*, but for the usual files where permissions and random stuff don't matter it should be fine.

*I believe it has an option to backup to a disk image in that case though.

I just did an upgrade from Snow Leopard, nothing crazy. I booted from Time machine just for kicks and that allowed me to use disk utility. Should the recovery HD show up separate from Time Machine?

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Martytoof posted:

I think if you stick something like the following into AppleScript Editor and save it as an application it'll work:
code:
do shell script "arch -arch i386 /Applications/appname.app/Contents/MacOS/appname &"

chutwig
May 28, 2001

BURLAP SATCHEL OF CRACKERJACKS

stray posted:

PATH=/usr/local/bin:$PATH in ~/.profile is the Nice Way to do it (probably nicer than using alias). Doesn't Homebrew make that change automatically? It was in my .profile, though I might have added it myself previously.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Rubiks Pubes posted:

I just did an upgrade from Snow Leopard, nothing crazy. I booted from Time machine just for kicks and that allowed me to use disk utility. Should the recovery HD show up separate from Time Machine?
Well it doesn't show up in Disk Utility at all by default (you have to enable debug mode), but yeah it's a separate partition. If you do "diskutil list" in Terminal it'll show up (or not).

Txiuct
May 27, 2006

United States Federal Bureau of Investigation - "We don't give a shit, holmes."
I haven't seen anyone else post it this, but sorry if I missed it. Anyway, It looks like apple put the combo update for 10.7.3 in the software update instead of the delta update that was giving people problems, so you can use software update now without having to download the combo update off of the apple site.

awesome-express
Dec 30, 2008

Ok this is driving me insane. I work with image editing, and every time I resize/modify an image or a .pdf file, OS X tells me I don't have permission to do it, and that these files are locked. I looked in the get info panel, and everything is fine there. I repaired my permissions with Disk Utility, and still it won't let me modify files that I had created.

Any suggestions? Running OS X Lion 10.7.3, latest macbook air.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

awesome-express posted:

Ok this is driving me insane. I work with image editing, and every time I resize/modify an image or a .pdf file, OS X tells me I don't have permission to do it, and that these files are locked. I looked in the get info panel, and everything is fine there. I repaired my permissions with Disk Utility, and still it won't let me modify files that I had created.

Check permissions in terminal and then chown it to yourself if needed.

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004

awesome-express posted:

Where the heck is your permissions pane on your get info window? Hey, I just noticed something, since OS X Lion handily hides the scrollbars :rolleyes:, I just noticed you can shrink that window and not know that there's something further down. Scroll down on your window and see if there is a permissions section.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Hey goons, remember Movist? The app everybody used to recommend to play non-native video files?

The programmer, who apparently is Korean, mysteriously stopped updating his app so that it remains at v.0.6.8 on the google code site mentioned above. Well, I found out why.. he's now selling Movist as an app on the Mac App Store for $4.99. :smith:

However, the good news is at least he listens to complaints on the iTunes Store.. he/she's telling people not to get v.1.1.1 and wait for 1.1.2 when it gets approved.

Movist guy posted:

PLEASE, DON'T UPDATE THIS 1.1.1 VERSION.
Some critical problems are found in this version. Fixed version 1.1.2 is now waiting for review.
Please, wait for next update.
I'm really sorry.

• Fixed crash in loading SSA/rear end(.rear end/.ssa) subtitle.
• Fixed SubRip(.srt) parsing error.
• "Rotate Subtitles" menu added.
• Upper/lower margins of subtitle are now applied to screen boundary.

• Fixed not-working shortcuts.
• Fixed topmost status bug.
• Fixed Window edge-resize bug.
• Resume enhanced: every status now restored - decoder, subtitle encoding, active tracks, play speed, repeat range, aspect ratio, screen filling, rotate & flip, deinterlace, audio sync., subtitle size & sync., letter-box height, filters.
• "Restore Last Window" option added.
• Apple Remote behavior changed: MENU toggles full-screen, MENU-HOLD toggles navigation.
• Command-Delete move selected items to trash in playlist.
• Shortcut search & collision check added.
• "Send Bug Report" menu added.

• Fixed 10 bit video broken colors.
• "Open .mov file with QuickTime" option added.
• FFmpeg 0.10 applied (0.8.9 for 32 bit).

• and more bugs fixed & enhancements.

I can't believe he/she didn't have the option to 'Open .mov file with QuickTime' in the first place on the MAS version. Guess once 1.1.2 goes up I'll be downloading it.

Apologies if everyone knew about this already.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Feb 9, 2012

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Binary Badger posted:

Hey, remember Movist? The app everybody used to recommend to play non-native video files?

The programmer, who apparently is Korean, mysteriously stopped updating his app so that it remains at v.0.6.8 on the google code site mentioned above. Well, I found out why.. he's now selling Movist as an app on the Mac App Store for $4.99. :smith:
Yeah it's been there for a while. I'm not sure who "everybody" is that recommended it, since I think all the cool kids moved onto MplayerX or went back to VLC once Movist went dark for a while.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Is Perian still the recommended codec pack for Mac? I'm sorta new to this whole thing. Between that and VLC I haven't had any trouble playing anything.

Terpfen
Jul 27, 2006
Objection!

:dukedog:

Joe Don Baker posted:

Is Perian still the recommended codec pack for Mac? I'm sorta new to this whole thing. Between that and VLC I haven't had any trouble playing anything.

I think Perian is the only codec pack for OS X, actually. And, yes, it's still recommended, even if you use something like MPlayerX or Movist.

Speaking of that particular conversation, MPlayerX succeeded Movist as a recommendation because MPlayerX is better.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Joe Don Baker posted:

It depends on who you ask. People tend to find software that works for them and never move on (see Transmission, Chicken of the VNC, MacTheRipper, VLC, UnRarX, StuffIt Expander, AppZapper, etc. users), but I'm always trying out new stuff as I find it. I don't even bother with Perian anymore. I just use MplayerX for everything.

As soon as another new media player comes along, I'll try that out too. :shobon:

Star War Sex Parrot fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Feb 9, 2012

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Terpfen posted:

I think Perian is the only codec pack for OS X, actually. And, yes, it's still recommended, even if you use something like MPlayerX or Movist.

Speaking of that particular conversation, MPlayerX succeeded Movist as a recommendation because MPlayerX is better.

MPlayerX feels buggy to me. Sometimes the UI just disappears when in fullscreen mode and I can't get it back. And it sucks at scrubbing through videos in my experience. I don't really see how it's better than Movist.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Mu Zeta posted:

MPlayerX feels buggy to me. Sometimes the UI just disappears when in fullscreen mode and I can't get it back.
They fixed that a few weeks ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Opinion Haver
Apr 9, 2007

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

It depends on who you ask. People tend to find software that works for them and never move on (see Transmission, Chicken of the VNC, MacTheRipper, VLC, UnRarX, StuffIt Expander, AppZapper, etc. users), but I'm always trying out new stuff as I find it. I don't even bother with Perian anymore. I just use MplayerX for everything.

As soon as another new media player comes along, I'll try that out too. :shobon:

Wait, what do you recommend instead of Transmission?