Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Catalina
May 20, 2008

Incidentally, what exactly does the agility stat do? Does it affect turn order and hit/evasion?

One thing that I'm really enjoying about Devil Survivor is that it reveals information at a really good pace. You really feel like the world is going to hell, and things are getting worse and worse. That's really impressive considering that you have freedom to pick who's storylines and events that you see.

I've been pursuing Atsuro's events and holy poo poo the revelation about the chips inside electronics having the ability to microwave the whole district as a last resort defense was really good. At this point I'm assuming that's what is going to happen at the end of 7 days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Catalina posted:

Incidentally, what exactly does the agility stat do? Does it affect turn order and hit/evasion?

Definitely turn order but if it affects hit rate it's not to a very noticeable degree. I think you only need around 25 or so agility to always go first so it's probably better to put points in Vitality beyond that.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Agility also helps you get more extra turns.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
It would have been good if they locked your stat growths instead of randomizing them even after you got a personality.

Catalina
May 20, 2008

All right! Made it to day 4.
(Midori, all of your fight events are so HARD.)

I've been really pleasantly surprised by how deep the game is willing to go when it comes to characters and storylines. The anime style and teenage protagonists had me expecting this would be a game that would stop at that level, but I've found that as the game goes on, the deeper the observations and predictions of human behavior go. Some of the events and reveals have had me audibly reacting.

I initially passed Devil Survivor up to try other games in the SMT franchise, but decided to give it a chance when I read someone's description of how well-done the time management system goes. I'm really glad I did, as I'm enjoying the game very much, much more than I expected I would!

General plot direction spoilers, though they're probably not spoilers if you know much about the mainline SMT games:
When I was a young child, I was taught Christianity from a Southern Baptist perspective, so the integration of Judeo-Christian elements into SMT plots to be hilarious and fascinating. Hilarious because, "you did what with what? And mixed it with what?" And fascinating because it comes from a a very different viewpoint that reminds me that the viewpoint I learned from is just one interpretation of the same myths and stories.
By the way, a while ago I did accidentally read a big spoiler about the TRUE IDENTITY of the relationship between the protagonist and Naoya, so...yeah.

Catalina fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Feb 10, 2012

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Catalina posted:

I've been really pleasantly surprised by how deep the game is willing to go when it comes to characters and storylines. The anime style and teenage protagonists had me expecting this would be a game that would stop at that level, but I've found that as the game goes on, the deeper the observations and predictions of human behavior go. Some of the events and reveals have had me audibly reacting.

The art style is pretty deceptive, Devil Survivor is SMT to the core. Guys going crazy, Order and Chaos both having their own machinations with humanity caught in the middle, demons killing poo poo and being bonkers, etc.

I went in expecting Persona and ended up with something pretty similar in atmosphere to the core SMT series, it was a nice surprise.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Even the official website for Devil Survivor 2 is embarrassed by Hinako's character design:

Meowjesty
Oct 23, 2009

Friends depend on each other.
I'm less concerned with the giant boobs and more concerned with her hilarious miniskirt.

The Unholy Ghost
Feb 19, 2011
Well, it looks like the fake Persona 5 music videos have been removed. :( Did the real Atlas take action?

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?

TurnipFritter posted:

Even the official website for Devil Survivor 2 is embarrassed by Hinako's character design:

God I hate the artist for the series; his work in other areas isn't all that good, either. For a famous named artist, he really fucks up anatomy something fierce.

U NO WUT IM SAIYAN
Jan 26, 2003

by angerbeet

Neeksy posted:

God I hate the artist for the series; his work in other areas isn't all that good, either. For a famous named artist, he really fucks up anatomy something fierce.

Fame and talent aren't always so comfy together.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?

Justice posted:

Fame and talent aren't always so comfy together.

In my brain, I know this; but in my heart, it's a meritocracy.

Seriously the girl in that picture has a midsection made of silly-putty being stretched by gravitational force.

vanov
Sep 19, 2005

sup space lol
I named my main in DSOC Cloud Strife because I intend to answer everything in character and see where I end up. In the original I chose naturally and got Naoya's ending, and I'm not broody, mopey, or a clone, so I think this will be fine.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I'll wait for the eventual Devil Survivor 2 rerelease for the 3DS that adds almost nothing and poorly implemented 3D for more money :I

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
You forgot region locking. It adds that too.

BTB; is there any DSi stuff in DS2? That'll be what stops it from geting imported.

vanov
Sep 19, 2005

sup space lol
The compendium is a welcome upgrade as well. I actually care to see more than one ending now since I'll have something to do to kill time in between text. Oh yeah, the voice acting is also passable and takes the tedium out of reading eeeeverything. Strange Journey had that problem but moreso.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Neeksy posted:

In my brain, I know this; but in my heart, it's a meritocracy.

Well, I know what path you're picking in Devil Survivor 2 then!

ConanThe3rd posted:

You forgot region locking. It adds that too.

BTB; is there any DSi stuff in DS2? That'll be what stops it from geting imported.

No, DS2 can be imported just fine.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Magikoopa189 posted:

Well, it looks like the fake Persona 5 music videos have been removed. :( Did the real Atlas take action?

Dammit, I knew I should have ripped the battle music earlier. :(

Dogbutt
Nov 26, 2011

Look at my face.
OK, so I got the end of the 4th Kalpa. If I go any deeper into the maze, can I still go for the neutral ending? I just want to get all the cool stuff in the final Kalpa and then leave forever.

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."
I believe you can go all the way to the bottom before triggering the last scene and still turn around.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Dogbutt posted:

OK, so I got the end of the 4th Kalpa. If I go any deeper into the maze, can I still go for the neutral ending? I just want to get all the cool stuff in the final Kalpa and then leave forever.

Once you kill the boss in the 5th one, leave.

Megalixir
Nov 10, 2007

Vanillaware ltd.

Magikoopa189 posted:

http://www.mediafire.com/?4vn4ck5gh0mgy

Downloader jDownloaader and add this link, it'll download all of them for you. 128kbps though.

It seems like ATLUSxP5 is re-uploading them in better quality.

Megalixir fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Feb 14, 2012

Catalina
May 20, 2008

On the beginning of day 6 in Devil Survivor now. This is the first game in a long time where I've thought "I want to replay this!" rather than "oh, multiple endings. Maybe I'll get around to it some day." I hope there's a new game + that offers advantages. I'd hate to have to grind all my demons up from scratch again.

Spoilers for up to Day 5:
I was impressed that you had to choose between saving Keisuke and saving Mari, since up to that point in the game, you always had time to save everyone, and the La Place Mail is accurate. I ended up saving Mari, and Keisuke died. :( On my next playthrough, I want to try the events in a different order to see if it's possible to save both in one playthrough. (don't tell me whether or not this is possible, haha). It seems like it might be possible, given that Kaido's tied to the bloodless murders...

I also noticed something that had me both impressed with Atlus and facepalming very hard.
MAJOR DEVIL SURVIVOR SPOILERS I AM SERIOUS!
The main character is forced to participate in the War of Bel (which is a hilarious enough concept on it's own), right? It makes a lot of sense when I realized that he's the reincarnation of A-BEL.
:doh: :argh: :golfclap: :devil:
Oh, Atlus. How hilariously you screw with my culture's mythology.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I'm finally going to start Devil Survivor Overclocked to finish it before the sequel comes out. Is there a way to skip all the dialogue? I played up to the Bel fight once already on the DS version before my fucktard friend lost my copy.

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Catalina posted:

On the beginning of day 6 in Devil Survivor now. This is the first game in a long time where I've thought "I want to replay this!" rather than "oh, multiple endings. Maybe I'll get around to it some day." I hope there's a new game + that offers advantages. I'd hate to have to grind all my demons up from scratch again.

If you're playing the DS version, New Game+ offers a slew of perks. Scaled down XP is removed (basically means you can play through the game without ever doing a free battle, or grind to ridiculous levels) and you keep all of your demons and cracked skills.

If you're playing the 3DS version, then you earn points to unlock New Game+ features by clearing paths or beating the game in certain ways (no free battles, never having anyone downed in battles, clearing 8th day paths, beating bonus bosses, etc). The most important ones are cheap, but some cost a lot. You will probably only be able to carry over a couple of demons on your first playthrough. These points carry over to each playthrough, so by your third playthrough you should be able to grab everything you might want.

Len posted:

I'm finally going to start Devil Survivor Overclocked to finish it before the sequel comes out. Is there a way to skip all the dialogue? I played up to the Bel fight once already on the DS version before my fucktard friend lost my copy.

Hold L and R.

UselessLurker
Apr 28, 2008
I really wish that one of the point rewards in Devil Survivor 3DS would have been to just skip the first six days. Playing every single battle again is just boring, especially with carried over superdemons from previous playthroughs.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.
e: nothing, I'm an idiot.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

jonjonaug posted:

If you're playing the DS version, New Game+ offers a slew of perks. Scaled down XP is removed (basically means you can play through the game without ever doing a free battle, or grind to ridiculous levels) and you keep all of your demons and cracked skills.

If you're playing the 3DS version, then you earn points to unlock New Game+ features by clearing paths or beating the game in certain ways (no free battles, never having anyone downed in battles, clearing 8th day paths, beating bonus bosses, etc). The most important ones are cheap, but some cost a lot. You will probably only be able to carry over a couple of demons on your first playthrough. These points carry over to each playthrough, so by your third playthrough you should be able to grab everything you might want.

Devil Survivor 2 has the Overclocked NG+ by the way.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Catalina posted:

Spoilers for up to Day 5:
I was impressed that you had to choose between saving Keisuke and saving Mari, since up to that point in the game, you always had time to save everyone, and the La Place Mail is accurate. I ended up saving Mari, and Keisuke died. :( On my next playthrough, I want to try the events in a different order to see if it's possible to save both in one playthrough. (don't tell me whether or not this is possible, haha). It seems like it might be possible, given that Kaido's tied to the bloodless murders...

I also noticed something that had me both impressed with Atlus and facepalming very hard.
MAJOR DEVIL SURVIVOR SPOILERS I AM SERIOUS!
The main character is forced to participate in the War of Bel (which is a hilarious enough concept on it's own), right? It makes a lot of sense when I realized that he's the reincarnation of A-BEL.
:doh: :argh: :golfclap: :devil:
Oh, Atlus. How hilariously you screw with my culture's mythology.

This is why you should name your main character Pepper. You know, so he'll be Bel Pepper.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Via Neogaf, the Digital Devil Saga (both games) is making its way to the European PSN via its European publisher Ghostlight.

I cannot believe this'd be happening without Atlus USA also releasing their games digitally in NA. So hopefully we'll get some sort of announcement soon.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

TurnipFritter posted:

This is why you should name your main character Pepper. You know, so he'll be Bel Pepper.

I named him Bale, since that's my last name. That worked out well.

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

So Atlus just sent out an email with this:

The subject is all underscores, just like the filename for the image on the Atlus site. Part of me just assumes this is a mistake, but after the Growlanser/Gungnir thing I think they might just be a bunch of jerks.

Edit: According to maketakunai in the RPG thread, it is the latter.

maketakunai
Jan 11, 2006

What do you mean,
"it's only a game"?!

Armor-Piercing posted:

So Atlus just sent out an email with this:
To crosspost:

Using Paint.NET's auto-level function gets the following, but I'm too unfamiliar with image manipulation to go much further.

My first thought is just P4G because of the "tuned", but that seems too.. easy.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

It could be The Ultimate in Mayonaka Arena. That would seem more likely for a quick release, I mean it's mostly just minor text dialogue and fighting VA.

FighterKnuckles
Apr 17, 2010

The truth is in sight!

Policenaut posted:

It could be The Ultimate in Mayonaka Arena. That would seem more likely for a quick release, I mean it's mostly just minor text dialogue and fighting VA.

Isn't there a BlazBlue-esque Story Mode in the console versions of Ultimate though? I remember reading that somewhere.

Actually, look at Ultimate's Logo.

The red shard things on the left side are a VERY similar shape to the ones in the blackened image. It's for sure Mayonaka Arena, at the very least.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Well maybe they'll announce both? Right? I mean look at Growlanser/Gungnir! damnit atlus don't be dicks about this

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Yeah, that is it for sure.

maketakunai
Jan 11, 2006

What do you mean,
"it's only a game"?!

FighterKnuckles posted:

The red shard things on the left side are a VERY similar shape to the ones in the blackened image.
Not just "very similar", it's pretty much identical. Nice call.

Catalina
May 20, 2008

Policenaut posted:

Well maybe they'll announce both? Right? I mean look at Growlanser/Gungnir! damnit atlus don't be dicks about this

That would be hilarious!

Also, sorry to turn this into a Devil Survior blog, but on day 6 I just met Black Frost and he is the cutest and BEST THING EVER. (Even more than how he is already the best thing in every SMT game.) Midori, I saved you without expecting anything in return, but you've been the gift that just keeps on giving.
Now that I've met Black Frost, I don't care what it takes, humans and demons are going to survive together into a happy future, damnit
hee-ho.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Calling it now, the next image they send out will be the exact same one but entirely Golden with like the sparkles from The Golden logo exposed when you muck around with it. Atlus USA feeds on hate and misery.