Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice

kimbo305 posted:

I've never read that part of the regs for Rally America.

I'm pretty sure they have to drive on the roads from stage to stage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
SC - Where there are more rednecks than people

kimbo305 posted:

I've never read that part of the regs for Rally America. Does FIA require street legality? If so, how do they check it? Cuz WRC cars go all over the world -- do they really pass local inspections at every event?

IIRC at least NASA Rally requires VINs and street legal cars as the transits are on public roads.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

oRenj9 posted:

I'm pretty sure they have to drive on the roads from stage to stage.
I understand, but I'm sure lots of organizers would look for something that resembled an inspection sticker and let you get on with it.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Alright but to be fair how many people are going to rally a Camaro? Rally Sport package be damned.

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug
Dealer down here in Texas hinted that you'd be able to order the stripper version.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

kimbo305 posted:

I understand, but I'm sure lots of organizers would look for something that resembled an inspection sticker and let you get on with it.

It's not the organisers that want the VIN, its the local law enforcement. Motorsport was always a great way to rebirth stolen parts.

quote:

Cuz WRC cars go all over the world -- do they really pass local inspections at every event?

They must be roadworthy at all times and in at least in Aust ALL vehicles going at any point on a public road MUST have a VIN. NO exceptions, you can not get vehicle permits otherwise

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006

Rabble posted:

Dealer down here in Texas hinted that you'd be able to order the stripper version.

Who/where in Texas?

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
And would you ever trust a car dealer?

leyton house
Nov 21, 2011

by Fistgrrl
It would be a good idea to offer the stripper version, but only as a special order. I am planning to buy either a fully loaded FR-S or BRZ, since it will be a daily driver. Really basic models of cars don't sell, hell Honda (the king of cheap and cheerful) doesn't even offer cars in Canada with crank-up windows anymore (good loving riddance).

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug

Nitrox posted:

And would you ever trust a car dealer?

I was going to say something about "grain of salt" but I figured it was assumed. We don't know anything about the price or true options yet so It's hard to even go into a "pure price" environment with any confidence. Still might put down a deposit just so I can get one in June, yes I'm kind of impatient (yes, I know it'll probably cost me).

He also went on about how he wanted to bring some of the drift teams to texas and blah blah Gen Y bullshit, I told him I'm not really into that Gen Y stuff and I'd be just as happy to buy this car if it was labeled as a Toyota. Then he lamented the state of Scion as a brand and I told him it was because the tC is a piece of junk and anyone with a half a brain wouldn't buy one. But, that's getting more into dealer chat than toyobaru chat.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

Just came across this on Engadget. The BRZ head unit looks pretty drat awesome.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Amateur street drifters are going to make the insurance on this thing astronomical.

Billy Zane
Jun 24, 2003

Listen to your friend Billy Zane. He's a cool dude.
BRZ with 16" wheels

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

Cakefool posted:

Amateur street drifters are going to make the insurance on this thing astronomical.

Eh I doubt it, I bet it will be cheaper to insure than an evo/sti here tho.

Im so mad that 16s fit under it because I already have two sets of perfect wheels apart from the fact that the stud pattern is 5x100

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

So it does have steering wheel controls then. All the pictures I remember didn't have them.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

Bovril Delight posted:

So it does have steering wheel controls then. All the pictures I remember didn't have them.

In the link I posted a few up, it does indeed have steering wheel controls.

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug

Idiot race posted:

Im so mad that 16s fit under it because I already have two sets of perfect wheels apart from the fact that the stud pattern is 5x100

It'll probably cost about the same as a miata to insure.

sellout.woot.com is selling FRS today for $15, get it while you can :v:

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Super Aggro Crag posted:

In the link I posted a few up, it does indeed have steering wheel controls.

Right, that is where I realized it had them. All the other shots before didn't.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Idiot race posted:

And I'm very happy as I have 2 sets of wheels that are 16 and have the pattern 5x100.

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

Idiot race posted:

Not that you'll really need them on something so light but I don't think Brembos will fit the 16" wheels if you want them. It looks like on the options packages that sport/premium brake involves having a 17" wheel. 16" is also a weird size, there are a ton of tires in 205/55 and up to 225/50 but anything wider than that and it's nothing or slicks.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Why would you really WANT to go more than 225 for street use on this car? My WRX that weighs 400lbs more has plenty of street grip to be fun at 215 wide.

It's not like you're dealing with keeping a 3500lb chassis glued to the road or trying to put down 500hp.

It would just seem like a crime to deaden the apparently lively steering they put in this thing by trying to cram 245s or something sill like that on it.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Chris Harris had his way with it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=romf-G6CZ7g

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

InitialDave posted:

Jesus, I've been saying for years that manufacturers of cars popular with either racers or ricers should be doing this. Big engine, poverty-spec everything else.

That's exactly what I want, possibly add sportier-spec suspension if available, but strip out everything else.

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

bull3964 posted:

Why would you really WANT to go more than 225 for street use on this car? My WRX that weighs 400lbs more has plenty of street grip to be fun at 215 wide.

It's not like you're dealing with keeping a 3500lb chassis glued to the road or trying to put down 500hp.

It would just seem like a crime to deaden the apparently lively steering they put in this thing by trying to cram 245s or something sill like that on it.

Autox or track day tires, 205 isn't much tire for something close to 3000lbs there although it probably is hilarious.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Chris Harris on the Toyobaru:

He really is the best car reviewer in the entire world and he does so well in telling you exactly why this car is absolutely amazing.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Muffinpox posted:

Autox or track day tires, 205 isn't much tire for something close to 3000lbs there although it probably is hilarious.

If you're going for a specialized setup for autocross/track then chances are you're going to go to 17" with a wider wheel anyways which makes things moot and you do whatever gives you most grip/less weight, to hell with what the speedo reads. Regardless, you should be able to cram 225/50/16s on the stock wheels assuming they don't rub, I did it all the time with my 2002 WRX. I would think going to 235 or 245 would hit diminishing returns pretty quickly with the weight tradeoff.

Anyways that's why I specified street use. 205/55/16 is a pretty popular tire size and there's a wide range of stuff available at decent prices. I think it's a fantastic move to keep the car affordable not just to buy, but maintain in the long run.

Jean Eric Burn
Nov 10, 2007

Smaller wheels are practically better at everything from a performance standpoint, the only reason to run larger wheels is to clear big brakes.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

KozmoNaut posted:

Chris Harris on the Toyobaru:

He really is the best car reviewer in the entire world and he does so well in telling you exactly why this car is absolutely amazing.

I want this car so bad now, although its probably going to have to wait until next year. :negative: Although I realy want to know what the ride quality is like and I guess if there are any problems with the first year cars.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Idiot race posted:

I want this car so bad now, although its probably going to have to wait until next year. :negative: Although I realy want to know what the ride quality is like and I guess if there are any problems with the first year cars.

a test drive will seal the deal for me - until them I am saving to purchase a new or used car in the 35-40k bracket within 8 months time.

if it doesnt suit me I will go buy a used STI hatch or evo IX.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Piano posted:

Smaller wheels are practically better at everything from a performance standpoint, the only reason to run larger wheels is to clear big brakes.
Well, that's also assuming you have appropriately short sidewalls. I have 65-profile tires on 15" wheels on the Outback Sport and that's hardly a rass car.

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Well, that's also assuming you have appropriately short sidewalls. I have 65-profile tires on 15" wheels on the Outback Sport and that's hardly a rass car.

I run 15x7 wheels on the impreza for the track. 225/45ZR15 Toyo RA1s; but, yea lower profile. I actually downgraded from the 16s.

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

bull3964 posted:

If you're going for a specialized setup for autocross/track then chances are you're going to go to 17" with a wider wheel anyways which makes things moot and you do whatever gives you most grip/less weight, to hell with what the speedo reads. Regardless, you should be able to cram 225/50/16s on the stock wheels assuming they don't rub, I did it all the time with my 2002 WRX. I would think going to 235 or 245 would hit diminishing returns pretty quickly with the weight tradeoff.

Anyways that's why I specified street use. 205/55/16 is a pretty popular tire size and there's a wide range of stuff available at decent prices. I think it's a fantastic move to keep the car affordable not just to buy, but maintain in the long run.

No, rim diameter changes weight a lot more than width and tire compound has far more to do with overall grip than the width of the tire. It's also not an awd car, you can run 205 up front and wider out rear. But thats all moot since your specification for the street makes any wheel
width discussion pointless, since running any modern performance tires at all will ruin the cars street driving character since you won't be able to really exploit any performance tire on the street anyways to any reasonable degree, which is why I said autocross or track.

Piano posted:

Smaller rim diameter is always better, you can have too little width though, since that determines a lot more about controlling how the car transitions.

Muffinpox fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Feb 9, 2012

Gelatinous BLOB!!
Mar 13, 2004
Saw this in google news
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XsQ6yx92LGw

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Interesting info on the ECU - user accessible parameters/logging, interfacing via bluetooth/smartphones.

[quote]
Nikkei Japan articles releases details about the TOYOTA 86 "CAN-BUS

Bluetooth/USB systems being developed for user interfacing of data in 30+ parameters, including engine ECU data, Geo location data, yaw and g-force sensors, and chassis sensors. It will be open sourced for licensed and registered software developers and make it's way to smartphone applications for social interconnections, as well as more specific uses such as tuner development, black-box loggers, and even gaming devices interfacing such as GT5 for replay and simulations.
[\quote]

more, less related info http://www.nikkei.com/markets/compa...0F2F2F2F2F2F2E2

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
SC - Where there are more rednecks than people
This stuff sketches me out. I hope its as well firewalled as the stuff in MyFordTouch or what ever its called.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Sadi posted:

This stuff sketches me out. I hope its as well firewalled as the stuff in MyFordTouch or what ever its called.

It's almost all one-way, you can read but you can't write to anything important, just like on every other car since the beginning of OBD-2.

On that note, I hope the ECU is as open as a lot of modern Subarus. The idea of having a vehicle I can tune myself but still have it pass the OBD check for emissions is quite appealing.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Billy Zane posted:

BRZ with 16" wheels

Hey, non-ugly wheels! Color me surprised after seeing those dumb two-tone things.

Actually, they look a lot like the ones I already have (in the same size) except they're darker.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
So these showed up in Tianjing.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

that wing is just too loving big.

the only one that looks decent is the TRD ducktail.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

I SWIFTLY PENETRATED YOUR MOMS MEAT TACO WHILE AGGRESSIVELY FONDLING THE UNDERSIDE OF YOUR DADS HAIRY BALLSACK, THEN RIPPED HIS SAUSAGE OFF AND RAMMED IT INTO YOUR MOMS TAILPIPE. I JIZZED FURIOUSLY, DEEP IN YOUR MOMS MEATY BURGER WHILE THRUSTING A ANSA MUFFLER UP MY GREASY TAILHOLE
wrong, wing and airdam + skirts looks awesome

• Locked thread