Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Seamonster posted:

and submachine gun (its terrible so nobody remembers it)

It was still much better than the spark shot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo

Radish posted:

The problem with those cool speed run items is that after you get good enough at the game to beat it in 2.5 hours or whatever without saving or using first aide sprays the reward isn't as amazing since you'd mastered everything. I did it, loaded up a new game, killed a few zombies and then was pretty much done.

Some new mode probably would have been better but whatever. RE2 was still awesome.

The real problem is that Resident Evil 1-3/CV's gameplay 'fun' comes from measuring risk versus reward in terms of finite resources. Each enemy encounter is an exercise in asking yourself, "can I dodge this enemy? If I try and fail, can I spare the health item to tank past it? If I don't try to dodge it, to save health items, can I spare the ammo to kill it?" With an infinite amount of ammo, you don't have to weigh any choices, you just go 'blam,' and considering that things like 'aiming' aren't involved in the gameplay, that gets boring very quickly. There's no 'game' left over. The only enemies that you would fight without just being rooted down in one place and hitting 'aim, then fire' are Nemesis and maybe the Tyrants. Infinite ammo in RE4 or RE5 can make those games fun because part of the gameplay is simply the visceral thrill of aiming well and taking down enemies who are threats to you if you don't. In the early games, not so much.

Resident Evil is pretty much TOLL COLLECTOR 1996.
A zombie appears and blocks your way!
"To pass my hallway, you must pay me [six] bullets!"
>Pay the zombie [six] bullets
Sneak past the zombie. [60% chance of success]

Bonaventure fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Feb 6, 2012

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
I found the fun in trying to make the best possible decisions concerning what to stash away or not stash away and when to do so. Things like, "hey I'm going into a room where I know there's a healing item I really need to get and stow away for future use but my inventory is full. Well, thats ok because this key is going to be discarded before I even enter that room, thus freeing up that slot. And I know this because because I unlocked every other door that this key is used for." I already knew all of the above before I even picked up the key. You need to think several steps ahead to really master the game and thats what I want back.

RE4/5 were great third person shooters. But they took this sort of chess game out of the equation.

Vakal
May 11, 2008
I remember in the original RE, having to sit down on the map screen in order to try and figure out the most direct way from the gardens to the attic in order to minimize the amount of hunter infested room I had to go through, since back before auto-aim each hunter encounter was pretty much a flip of the coin if you would survive.

I don't think I've ever had a reason to open up the map screen in a RE game after that though.

Intelligibility
Apr 8, 2011

Get shovel!
Digging out my ps2 only to find it's broken and will now only play dvds but no games. Tried one of these cleaning discs which somehow seemed to make it worse (dvds now skip and weird sounds). So dumb question:

Since I still have my Resi 2 discs is there any way to play this on pc or emulate it somehow? I really haven't kept up to date on psx emulation and the one emu a buddy gave me I just couldn't get to work. :sigh:

Gonna play remake in the meantime I think, it's been too long! (prettiest game in the series :allears:)

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
I was wrapping up my professional run through RE:4 HD on the 360 to get the last achievement, and I am stuck on Krauser. I just can't avoid getting hit long enough to get to the next area so I can get to his actual fight. The timing for the QTEs on Pro are just brutally unfair, and especially in the Krauser fight, because it has some weird finger positioning required to avoid taking damage.

Does anyone have any useful advice for this section? I remember his actual fight being pretty easy due to his knife weakness, but the first portion is really touchy and unfair, like the U3 fight before it.

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo
I forget where U3 happens, are you talking about the cutscene-fight with Krauser or the one where you're sort of chasing him around the ruins just before you fight him on the tower?

If the latter, be aware that he's still weak against the knife. One or two slices makes him use a flash grenade and ninja jump out of there. Personally, though, I just shoot him a bunch and never even let him get close enough to use his QTE moves on me. That part's never given me trouble.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
My mind was blown the first time I attacked Krauser with the knife. I know there was the QTE fight beforehand, but I just pulled out the weapon for a laugh during his 'actual' fight - having already died to him several times - and did a complete :psyboom: when he lowered his own gun to close melee distance.

vkeios
May 7, 2007

If its the chasing him around the ruins part. All you have to do is dodge his attacks; all the areas where you're caged in with him can be gotten past by doing enough damage or just waiting long enough.

Its exceptionally easy in the very first part with that locked gate and the ladder nearby. Just check the gate to start the timer, and then go up and down the ladder until it opens.

timeandtide
Nov 29, 2007

This space is reserved for future considerations.
Go for his boots/knees when fighting him on top of the tower. Even when he raises his shield arm up to block, you can still hit him and stagger him, making the fight fairly easy (at least on normal.)

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

vkeios posted:

Its exceptionally easy in the very first part with that locked gate and the ladder nearby. Just check the gate to start the timer, and then go up and down the ladder until it opens.

Ha! This is exactly the kind of cheesy strategy I was looking for. I hope it gets easier after that because some of the quick time stuff is so aggravating on Professional. It's super frustrating because the actually gameplay that doesn't rely on the quick time stuff has been pretty easy, considering. It's certainly better than RE: 5 in fairness most of the time.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Vakal posted:

It was still much better than the spark shot.
Isn't the spark shot really useful in the first fight with Birkin?

Cold Sprunk
Apr 11, 2009
Can you play RE:4 HD on the 360 and still be in an Xbox Live party and all that stuff? Normally with re-relaseses or older games they have those features disabled.

Martian Buddy
Jun 4, 2010

Are you ready to swear
right here,
right now,
before the devil

Cold Sprunk posted:

Can you play RE:4 HD on the 360 and still be in an Xbox Live party and all that stuff? Normally with re-relaseses or older games they have those features disabled.

No reason I can think of that you wouldn't be able to, since the 360 release was the first time it came out on the 360 and thus should be up to the specifications of any 2011 release.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Cold Sprunk posted:

From personal experience, yes. Only original Xbox games have that issue.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Cold Sprunk posted:

Yeah, it's actually a regular 360 game, but it didn't get a retail release here (it did in Japan, I believe). So it has achievements and everything.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Bonaventure posted:

The real problem is that Resident Evil 1-3/CV's gameplay 'fun' comes from measuring risk versus reward in terms of finite resources. Each enemy encounter is an exercise in asking yourself, "can I dodge this enemy? If I try and fail, can I spare the health item to tank past it? If I don't try to dodge it, to save health items, can I spare the ammo to kill it?" With an infinite amount of ammo, you don't have to weigh any choices, you just go 'blam,' and considering that things like 'aiming' aren't involved in the gameplay, that gets boring very quickly. There's no 'game' left over. The only enemies that you would fight without just being rooted down in one place and hitting 'aim, then fire' are Nemesis and maybe the Tyrants. Infinite ammo in RE4 or RE5 can make those games fun because part of the gameplay is simply the visceral thrill of aiming well and taking down enemies who are threats to you if you don't. In the early games, not so much.

Resident Evil is pretty much TOLL COLLECTOR 1996.
A zombie appears and blocks your way!
"To pass my hallway, you must pay me [six] bullets!"
>Pay the zombie [six] bullets
Sneak past the zombie. [60% chance of success]

I agree with this. In fact, most of the challenge comes from finding out how you will get past the initial few zombies before the game will eventually give you shitloads of ammunition.

zarron
Sep 1, 2005

blackguy32 posted:

I agree with this. In fact, most of the challenge comes from finding out how you will get past the initial few zombies before the game will eventually give you shitloads of ammunition.

Or in CV case use the knife to such an effect that by the middle of the game you have enough ammunition that can supply a small army.

timeandtide
Nov 29, 2007

IGN has an interview with the Resident Evil 6 producer: it doesn't do much but reiterate what we know, or I'd link it.

The one interesting thing revealed was that there's "lots" of characters in the game that they haven't shown yet but presumably will over the months leading up to release.

That could mean plenty of things: other playable characters/stories? Returning favorites?

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.

timeandtide posted:

IGN has an interview with the Resident Evil 6 producer: it doesn't do much but reiterate what we know, or I'd link it.

The one interesting thing revealed was that there's "lots" of characters in the game that they haven't shown yet but presumably will over the months leading up to release.

That could mean plenty of things: other playable characters/stories? Returning favorites?

Time to enter the basement of loose plot threads! Just as many resurrected characters as zombies, I imagine.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

I'd like to see Steve in like an abandoned Umbrella lab basement, like not even as a monster but in like a broken down test tube located in some incredibly out of the way location hidden behind some monsters. And Chris/Leon/Maybe-Wesker would be like "Huh I guess they forgot about him"

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

Policenaut posted:

I'd like to see Steve in like an abandoned Umbrella lab basement, like not even as a monster but in like a broken down test tube located in some incredibly out of the way location hidden behind some monsters. And Chris/Leon/Maybe-Wesker would be like "Huh I guess they forgot about him"

Sort of like that room with the hunter in RE2 (I think) where you had to scan your thumbprints on both playthroughs. Except it's just Steve in a tube and a file outside saying "forgot the key to this door. Oh well, I literally do not care enough about what's inside to make a new one".

FlashFearless
Nov 4, 2004
Death. But not for you, Gunslinger. Never for you.

Well, what a shock. Gamestop hosed me over on the Revelations preorder. When I went in to preorder the game, I specifically asked if it came with the case. The guy said "Oh yeah, it's great" and we had a conversation about how a physical object is such a better preorder bonus than all the digital content they're always doing now.

Today I go to pick up my copy, and I get, "Sorry, we got an email saying only preorders placed before Jan 13 get the case."

I returned the game immediately and bought it from amazon, but what the gently caress. I wanted that case.

Ein Bear
Mar 26, 2010

Oh Sirrah, how deliciously absurd!
Have to say, I really like how Capcom handled the pre-release media of Revelations. The Rachel trailer lead to a nice twist in the game, and it was really cool how they made Parker's escape into the demo.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

vkeios posted:

If its the chasing him around the ruins part. All you have to do is dodge his attacks; all the areas where you're caged in with him can be gotten past by doing enough damage or just waiting long enough.

I finally ended up beating Krauser on professional and boy was that some bullshit. Whoever decided that the QTEs should have a nanosecond of clearance on pro is a sadistic rear end in a top hat. Especially going to QTEs right in the middle of combat.

I mean, I never really had a problem with QTEs before, and I always wondered why people had such a problem with them. Mystery solved!

Scyron
Aug 27, 2005

I am sure a hacker knows all about rewarding and accomplished behavior. I mean, raping a chick with some mickeys is the same is getting laid right? Same result amirite guys? Nothing like work and not having to do it and get that sweet sweet payoff. :smug:
If I am going to preorder REOC from a major retailer, which one should I do?

I saw bestbuy, amazon, and gamestop all have "pre-order bonuses", none of which state exclusive, which is nice, meaning I can probably buy the other later, like in deadrising2's costume things.

I have no idea the stats of the weapon packs but each sounds nice, the thing is, does the LE(if there is one?) contain a super voucher or anything? I'd really like to get my hands on the best deal, and while march isn't exactly close, I would like to lock in my budget for the game, day 1.

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

A free custom title is a free custom title

Lipstick Apathy

FlashFearless posted:

Well, what a shock. Gamestop hosed me over on the Revelations preorder. When I went in to preorder the game, I specifically asked if it came with the case. The guy said "Oh yeah, it's great" and we had a conversation about how a physical object is such a better preorder bonus than all the digital content they're always doing now.

Today I go to pick up my copy, and I get, "Sorry, we got an email saying only preorders placed before Jan 13 get the case."

I returned the game immediately and bought it from amazon, but what the gently caress. I wanted that case.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Residen...=1312731&loc=01

Scyron posted:

If I am going to preorder REOC from a major retailer, which one should I do?

I saw bestbuy, amazon, and gamestop all have "pre-order bonuses", none of which state exclusive, which is nice, meaning I can probably buy the other later, like in deadrising2's costume things.

I have no idea the stats of the weapon packs but each sounds nice, the thing is, does the LE(if there is one?) contain a super voucher or anything? I'd really like to get my hands on the best deal, and while march isn't exactly close, I would like to lock in my budget for the game, day 1.

The Limited Edition is $10 more and contains all the bonus weapons +2 unknown ones. Preordering also gives you an alt costume pack for your characters. For some reason Amazon must have sold out of it's pre-order alottment of special editions at the moment but other stores still have it.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

FlashFearless posted:

Me too man. The only reason I pre ordered it is cause the guy was bugging me about how I would get a sweet case. Is there another company in the world that would gently caress people over like that and offer the customer nothing as a condolence? I doubt it. Today was my last purchase at Gamestop.

Scyron
Aug 27, 2005

I am sure a hacker knows all about rewarding and accomplished behavior. I mean, raping a chick with some mickeys is the same is getting laid right? Same result amirite guys? Nothing like work and not having to do it and get that sweet sweet payoff. :smug:

Revitalized posted:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Residen...=1312731&loc=01

The Limited Edition is $10 more and contains all the bonus weapons +2 unknown ones. Preordering also gives you an alt costume pack for your characters. For some reason Amazon must have sold out of it's pre-order alottment of special editions at the moment but other stores still have it.

That makes sense why there was no listing for LE from amazon.com. I should get on that for gamestop, as much as that sucks. I hope gamestop will have a midnight launch. Now I just can't decide what version? Like I know my friends want it on ps3, but knowing them, they will sell it no less than 3 weeks later and I will be stuck with no lasting MP, outside of pubs.

bloodysabbath
May 1, 2004

OH NO!

NESguerilla posted:

Me too man. The only reason I pre ordered it is cause the guy was bugging me about how I would get a sweet case. Is there another company in the world that would gently caress people over like that and offer the customer nothing as a condolence? I doubt it. Today was my last purchase at Gamestop.

gently caress Gamestop, gently caress 'em in the rear end. I went in to get the game and the circle pad. Went a little something like this:

Blob behind the desk: Did you preorder this by any chance?

Me: No.

Blob: Okay, let me see if we have any extras.

(The blob sighs, proceeds to move about in a huff for a solid minute and a half, making a big show of it, as if it's the biggest hassle in the world.)

Blob: Uh, let me check with my manager.

(Blob goes to a back room, returns in about three minutes.)

Blob: No, we don't have any extra.

Me: Okay. What about the circle pad?

(Repeat the entire process, up to and including the manager check.)

My tinfoil hat conspiracy theory is that the manager basically told the clerk not to sell to me, because that'll learn me to not give them money for a product before I have any idea as to its quality!

Anyway, I went to Walmart and bought one of like fifteen copies, because unlike Gamestop, they are a business that apparently enjoys taking money from customers that want to give it to them. Too bad the CPP is retailer exclusive.

Action-Bastard
Jan 1, 2008

Gamestop really went to hell a few years ago, I gave up and started using amazon and the local mom and pop game store in town when my store credit with Gamestop kept mysteriously disappearing.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I have no idea how they stay in business. They offer NOTHING that couldn't be found at any other brick and mortar retailer, except used games that can be found online for half the price. On top of that, they have a downright hostile customer service policy that actually makes me uncomfortable to shop there. Despite all this I have spent thousands of dollars at gamestop, but they aren't seeing another penny from me.

I miss mom and pop game stores. Every one of them went under in my city when gamestop popped up. Gamestop is basically Blockbuster Video with aggressive salemen. And we all know how well things worked out for Blockbuster in the end.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 08:51 on Feb 8, 2012

citizenlowell
Sep 25, 2003

ignore alien orders

Revitalized posted:

It was on sale briefly for the same price as the regular edition and featured 99 cent release day shipping. I imagine this is why they're sold out, I definitely took advantage of that deal and I'm sure many others did too.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
I enjoy how the flamethrower is always worthless. It's Chris's extra weapon (compared to Jill's Bazooka) yet you only get to carry it for about 1 minute. Also, it sucks in RE2. Its only good use is killing plants.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Wrong Resident Evil thread.

Len fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Feb 9, 2012

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
Playing through the RE5 DLCs and haha man, I wouldn't want to be a helicopter pilot in a Resident Evil game. Those guys don't last very long, especially the cool ones.

timeandtide
Nov 29, 2007

Rough Lobster posted:

Playing through the RE5 DLCs and haha man, I wouldn't want to be a helicopter pilot in a Resident Evil game. Those guys don't last very long, especially the cool ones.

Josh pilots the helicopter, and he's a-ok.

Then again, Barry did too and that was the last time anyone ever saw or heard of him in-continuity. Briefly afterwards, he starred in Resident Evil: Gaiden.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

So I picked up a 3DS and got Revelations (or as my box says, Revelaitons) and Mercs 3D. I've been playing Mercs mostly, and I gotta say, for all the poo poo this game got at launch, I'm having a hell of a time with it. Sure, there's some weird frame rate stuff, and it doesn't look as good as Revelations, and the 3D is uh...less than great. But it's fun, I like it.

timeandtide
Nov 29, 2007

I've been playing Revelations a lot, and really love the 3D and general atmosphere, but sometimes those bad decisions from RE5 creep in: when you play as Chris and occasionally as Jill, the developers like to throw dozens of monsters at you where several or just one would do. Like, it "walking down (relatively) straight mountain corridor shooting exact same enemy" does not really count as a set piece, it's just Contra without enemy or weapon variation. And of course there's a turret section, although it was slightly better done than RE5's El Gigante cheap out in that racing to reach the ship instead of having an enemy to overtake per se was more gripping.

Thankfully, the game does much better in the Jill/ship parts. Enjoying the big ship, the bosses, the later enemies, and the plot twist with Chris & co. ending up on the sister ship instead of the Zenobia. Definitely recommended for Resident Evil fans, and a pretty solid buy for non-fans too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Hey, check it out. Trophy list for RE: The Umbrella Chronicles HD