Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aglet56
Sep 1, 2011
Might want to update the OP with what, exactly, a "peaty" whiskey is, since it's not a very common term outside of whiskey tasting.

Also, I picked up some Bulleit Rye and Bulleit Bourbon recently and they're pretty great. Bulleit Rye is pretty drat tasty neat, but what's a good vermouth for a Manhattan?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

Aglet56 posted:

Might want to update the OP with what, exactly, a "peaty" whiskey is, since it's not a very common term outside of whiskey tasting.

Also, I picked up some Bulleit Rye and Bulleit Bourbon recently and they're pretty great. Bulleit Rye is pretty drat tasty neat, but what's a good vermouth for a Manhattan?

Higher end vermouth: Carpano Antica
Middle: Vya or Dolin
Lower: Noilly Prat

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Vya and Dolin are both high-end vermouths, I wouldn't call them middle shelf. Carpano Antica is sort of halfway between a vermouth and an amaro, really, even though it's been fashionable to use it as a sweet vermouth in the last couple years, particularly in Manhattans. In terms of inexpensive vermouth, I'd recommend Cinzano Rosso before Noilly-Prat sweet, since NP is really more about their dry vermouth.

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

Punt e Mes makes a quite nice Manhattan (or Manhattan variation, depending on what you think Punt e Mes is, I suppose). Martini and Rossi is another cheap vermouth that I'd recommend over NP if you're looking for a red/sweet vermouth. In a Manhattan made with Carpano Antica, I might skip the Bitters depending on the whisky used. Dubonnet can also sub for the sweet vermouth in a Manhattan to good effect, though that is definitely a different cocktail at that point.

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don't help

Thanks for the rye education. It looks like a couple places around me sell Van Winkle Family Reserve Rye, so I'll probably pick up a bottle in the next few days.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

Tigren posted:

Keep in mind these are "local" only as far as the name on the label. High West doesn't actually have an aged whiskey that they've distilled. They ship in their whiskey, blend it, and then bottle it under their name. A lot of the craft distilleries are having to do this in order to start right away. That's also why a lot of them are starting out with vodkas/gins as well as white dog.

Yeah, but even finding something like that in UT was pretty surprising. On further tasting (right now, yippy for days off) I am liking the Double Rye more and more. It still really shines with a bit of water.

I also have a small glass of Russel's Reserve 6 Year handy and every time I taste it I am surprised at how smooth and mellow it is. It is becoming on of my favorite sipping whiskeys.

smn
Feb 15, 2005
tutkalla

pork never goes bad posted:

Sorry - I didn't mean to imply that those were things you said. I still think that they are true statements about the Scotch. Speyburn is loving rank. It is absolutely the $5 Vodka handle of single malts.

I've got to comment on this - I've gone through one bottle of Speyburn 10 and it was very decent. Long time a go so I can't remember all the details but it most definitely wasn't a bad whisky. Somewhat sweet, malty and easy to drink - the bottle didn't last long.

But this isn't the first time I've heard people claim Speyburn 10 is really bad - I have to wonder if it is batch variance as I quite honestly don't recognize the descriptions from my own experiences.

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

I like to buy the 1.75l bottles of Speyburn 10 at Costco for 35 bucks.

We have decent-sized gatherings fairly often. This might be wrong, but I use it for people who are somewhat neutral when I ask if anyone wants to sip some scotch. I love sharing whisky with friends, but I don't want to share good stuff with 10 people when only 4 or 5 will really enjoy it. Speyburn is the answer for those neutral people.

Plus, I just leave it out of the cabinet and if anyone wants a refill I just tell them to help themselves.

As to the actual taste, it is about what I expect for the price. I wouldn't buy it if I couldn't get it extra cheap at Costco though.

NightConqueror
Oct 5, 2006
im in ur base killin ur mans

Voodoofly posted:

I like to buy the 1.75l bottles of Speyburn 10 at Costco for 35 bucks.

We have decent-sized gatherings fairly often. This might be wrong, but I use it for people who are somewhat neutral when I ask if anyone wants to sip some scotch. I love sharing whisky with friends, but I don't want to share good stuff with 10 people when only 4 or 5 will really enjoy it. Speyburn is the answer for those neutral people.

Plus, I just leave it out of the cabinet and if anyone wants a refill I just tell them to help themselves.

As to the actual taste, it is about what I expect for the price. I wouldn't buy it if I couldn't get it extra cheap at Costco though.

I do the same thing, except I go cheaper and lay out a handle of Canadian Club and a bottle of ginger ale. Nobody seems to mind, and I get to keep all the good stuff for myself (and the few who can appreciate it!).

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

What is the price of Glenlivet at Costco? Couldn't you pour that? Or one of the many, many inexpensive blends? There are a few that aren't bad.

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

What is the price of Glenlivet at Costco? Couldn't you pour that? Or one of the many, many inexpensive blends? There are a few that aren't bad.

If I found it for the same price, I would get Glenlivet over Speyburn in a second. I just haven't found it at the same price. But a 1.75L handle is $35.00, which would be spending $15.00 for a 750mL bottle. Not a bad price for party scotch.

To be fair, I've only bought the bottle once, and part of it was a joke for a few of my drinking buddies. The bottle is comically big when it sits in a liquor cabinet, lording over all of the other booze.

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

I don't remember how much Glenlivet was when I bought a bottle at Costco, but I remember it being cheap enough that I didn't even need to think twice to use it to mix up a Blood and Sand or two.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

You used a single malt for mixing? That just seems wrong, even though the Glenlivet 12 is like $25 at CostCo right now.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

smn posted:

I've got to comment on this - I've gone through one bottle of Speyburn 10 and it was very decent. Long time a go so I can't remember all the details but it most definitely wasn't a bad whisky. Somewhat sweet, malty and easy to drink - the bottle didn't last long.

But this isn't the first time I've heard people claim Speyburn 10 is really bad - I have to wonder if it is batch variance as I quite honestly don't recognize the descriptions from my own experiences.
Speyburn 10 is always very consistent. It's slightly boozy as all 10yr single malts tend to be, but it's a steal at $19.99. I like to think of it as AnCnoc 10yr...that's basically what it is

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

kidsafe posted:

Speyburn 10 is always very consistent. It's slightly boozy as all 10yr single malts tend to be, but it's a steal at $19.99.

I might buy it again at that price but it's $29 loving dollars here, I was so disappointed in it.

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

wormil posted:

I might buy it again at that price but it's $29 loving dollars here, I was so disappointed in it.

Yeah, for $29 you can find much better Scotch. I got mine for basically $15, and $20 is about as high as I would go with it.

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.
MY GIRLFRIEND bought me a bottle of E.H. Taylor Single Barrel Bourbon recently and it is excellent. Really smooth and mellow at first - best with a splash of water, richly sweet and buttery with a distinct smokiness on the way out. It's more of a dark toast style of smoke than a salty, peat style of smoke so I'm guessing it is imparted by the char of the barrel over the course of the extended aging period (almost 12 years).

In a way, this is the mirror image of the Balvenie Doublewood i.e. Bourbon for Scotch drinkers, although I think that the Taylor is much more integrated and enjoyable overall.

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

Kenning posted:

You used a single malt for mixing? That just seems wrong, even though the Glenlivet 12 is like $25 at CostCo right now.

I don't think it's so wrong. I wanted to buy a bottle that I could drink straight but I wouldn't feel too bad using in a cocktail, and Glenlivet 12 fit the bill. It was stupid cheap at Costco - I think it was actually under $25 when I got it.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Voodoofly posted:

Yeah, for $29 you can find much better Scotch. I got mine for basically $15, and $20 is about as high as I would go with it.

Here you can't. The next cheapest would be Glenlivet 12 for $10 more. They have single malts between but I would have to buy them by the case.

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

wormil posted:

Here you can't. The next cheapest would be Glenlivet 12 for $10 more. They have single malts between but I would have to buy them by the case.

Yeah, that would make it a bit tougher. I sometimes forget how much liquor prices can vary place to place, especially if you live somewhere that doesn't allow shipping.

Also, for your Irish Whiskey recommendations, I can recommend adding Clontarf Single Malt. Clontarf and Redbreast were my Irish whiskeys of choice for a while, and I believe the Single Malt is slightly less expensive than Redbreast 12. According to a couple of my friends, Redbreast is Irish Whiskey for people who are coming from Jameson, and Clontarf is Irish Whiskey for people who are coming from Johnnie Walker.

Voodoofly fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Feb 9, 2012

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx
Anyone know anything about the Makers 46 Bourbon? I've seen it around for $35+ at a bunch of places but tonight while filling up my wife's wine rack I spotted a bottle of it going for $26. Not much of a bourbon drinker since I prefer scotch, but I figured it's time to branch out into other things now.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

It's not incredibly special but for $26 it's a good deal.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

spankmeister posted:

Yeah, if it's discounted to regular Maker's prices I'd probably go for it but I wasn't wowed when I tried it.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

Zeno-25 posted:

Since we're talking about barrel-proof, this is also some amazing (and powerful) stuff:

One of the best bourbons I've ever had in my life. Too bad it's like a hundred bucks and only available once a year.

Jahoodie
Jun 27, 2005
Wooo.... college!

Punt e Mes makes a quite nice Manhattan (or Manhattan variation, depending on what you think Punt e Mes is, I suppose)...

My favorite Amaro riff on the Manhattan is Ramazotti with something wheated. Crowd pleaser.

Voodoofly posted:

Thanks for the rye education. It looks like a couple places around me sell Van Winkle Family Reserve Rye, so I'll probably pick up a bottle in the next few days.

Where are you where that stuff just sits about? Completely serious.

TenaciousTomato
Jul 17, 2007

Interworld and the New Innocence
Not a big fan at all of this Glenmorangie D'or I bought last week. It's the first Glenmorangie scotch I've tried, and the most expensive scotch I've purchased at ~62. It finishes well but it tastes very sour/bitter, others have said the same but the its mostly good reviews. Anybody here try it?

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

spankmeister posted:

Oh well, at least I have a solid bourbon to use for Manhattan's when Mad Men comes back.

NightConqueror
Oct 5, 2006
I'd have to admit, despite being a little wary, that Wild Turkey 101 and Wild Turkey Rare Breed are two really nice bourbons. At about $20, I thought the 101 would be a total mixer, but its an easy sipper with some water. The Rare Breed I only had a brief taste of, but its more complex and smooth. Good stuff.

attila
Jun 15, 2007
To dream the impossible dream...?

A Winner is Jew posted:

Anyone know anything about the Makers 46 Bourbon?

It's standard Maker's with an addition of charred french oak staves to the barrels for the last few months of aging. Maker's is a sweet bourbon since it's mash bill has wheat instead of rye. I find Maker's 46 is sweeter than standard Maker's.

It's good stuff when you want something a little sweeter and smoother. It would probably be good in most cocktails if you adjust the sugar in the recipe down a little.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I can't imagine drinking a whiskey that's sweeter than Maker's. It's way mellow, even flabby, as it is.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Bought some George Dickel #12 last week and it tasted exactly as I imagined, a bit of pepper and maybe butterscotch with a little lingering sweetness but less than bourbon and not much else. It just kind of dies in your mouth. I don't hate it but I see no reason to buy it again and I'll be glad when it's gone.

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Jahoodie posted:

Where are you where that stuff just sits about? Completely serious.

I'm in Los Angeles, and I know a few people at a couple of the better wine/spirit shops around here. That said, I wasn't actually able to get a bottle over the weekend, as our friend was hired for a last minute private whiskey tasting event and needed the last of the bottles. Hopefully soon, though.

Also, for whoever recommended the Bulleit Rye, thanks. It's pretty great for its price, and I picked up a bottle.

I also had a glass of Michter's Single Barrell US-1 with the same friend. It is a little sweet for my taste. I actually prefer the Bulleit, especially with the Bulleit being about $20 cheaper.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!
Picked up a bottle of Russell's Reserve Rye for $21 at my liquor store, I tried it with some ice and I'm not sure what I think of it yet. I will have to try it in an old fashioned or manhattan or something, but that means I need to go out and buy some more supplies :).

PS: Was that a good deal? I never buy rye and their selection was basically:

Wild Turkey Rye: $17
Russel's Reserve: $21
Michter's Single Barrel Rye: $37
Ri: $36 or something.

I didn't want to spend close to $40 on something I wasn't sure about, but I felt okay dropping ~$20 on a bottle.

Jahoodie
Jun 27, 2005
Wooo.... college!
Flying to Canada for a quick business trip this week... what should I look for at the duty free?

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Got an email yesterday from Woodford announcing Double Oaked will be available the first week of March. This will be their regular offering of what was the Oak Finish Master Collection. Great news for those of us who loved it. Hopefully it will be available in my state. Suggested retail is $50/bottle.

NightConqueror
Oct 5, 2006

DoctaFun posted:

Picked up a bottle of Russell's Reserve Rye for $21 at my liquor store, I tried it with some ice and I'm not sure what I think of it yet. I will have to try it in an old fashioned or manhattan or something, but that means I need to go out and buy some more supplies :).

I've really only had rye whiskey in mixed drinks, like Manhattans. Are they pretty decent on their own, neat? I've been eyeing up a bottle of Bulliet Rye near me. The price certainly is pretty reasonable.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Rye is just as good neat or on the rocks as bourbon or any other whiskey. It's spicier, and not as honey sweet, but very tasty.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

wormil posted:

Got an email yesterday from Woodford announcing Double Oaked will be available the first week of March. This will be their regular offering of what was the Oak Finish Master Collection. Great news for those of us who loved it. Hopefully it will be available in my state. Suggested retail is $50/bottle.

Cool, I hope it makes it across the pond.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

NightConqueror posted:

I've really only had rye whiskey in mixed drinks, like Manhattans. Are they pretty decent on their own, neat? I've been eyeing up a bottle of Bulliet Rye near me. The price certainly is pretty reasonable.

I didn't care for Bulleit Rye when I tried it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aglet56
Sep 1, 2011
I really like Bulleit Rye, but it felt somehow thinner than Bulleit Bourbon. It's the first rye I've ever bought, so I dunno if this is just common among ryes in general, but its mouthfeel was much less syrupy than bourbon, and it definitely had less sugar. Still very good, but somehow less substantial, which is why I really like it for mixing but perhaps not as much for drinking straight.