Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AndwhatIseeisme
Mar 30, 2010

Being alive is pretty much a constant stream of embarrassment.
Fun Shoe

Rockdash posted:

I thought Quina in FF9 was optional? Am I remembering wrong? :confused:

Nope, Quina's forced on you to get into fossil roo. Getting him early is optional.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
I thought it was more spoiler-ish that Quina is a "he". I always thought Quina was a girl.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Glazius posted:

I'm trying to think of game series where optional premade characters is actually a consistent feature, but most of them are Western.

Suikoden? That series is something like 90% optional characters.

Also Magus in Chrono Trigger and a lot of the characters in Chrono Cross.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Glazius posted:

I'm trying to think of game series where optional premade characters is actually a consistent feature, but most of them are Western.

The Star Ocean series, even though I'm pretty sure everyone no one is optional in Blue Sphere.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.
Chrono Trigger hardly counts in the same way that Yuffie and Vincent do. Near the end of the game (CT spoilers) you have a non-optional scene of Magus basically saying "do you want to fight me or have me as a party member?" Yeah, he's technically an optional character, but Yuffie and Vincent (and for that matter, Gogo, Umari, and Mog from FF3/6) are so optional you might not even know they exist (I didn't know Yuffie existed on my first playthrough). And Magus is still a major plot character even if you don't acquire him; the plot doesn't change any based on his inclusion or exclusion at the end.

edit: In Valkyrie Profile, all but 3 of the playable characters are optional (in a game where a full party is 4 characters). All dungeons but one are optional, too.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Leavemywife posted:

I thought it was more spoiler-ish that Quina is a "he". I always thought Quina was a girl.

It's a s/he. There's no real defined gender, though I guess we can assume Quina's a girl based on stereotypes (cook outfit, "feminine" name).

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Azure_Horizon posted:

It's a s/he. There's no real defined gender, though I guess we can assume Quina's a girl based on stereotypes (cook outfit, "feminine" name).

Well feminine in romance languages, certainly. But I dunno, the Qus just seem to be ambiguous people with Qu in their name, like Sun Quan and Dan Quayle.

Shaezerus
Mar 24, 2008

God? Or perhaps a devil?
Show me which you'll choose!

Glazius posted:

Super Robot Wars does this all the time, though that's probably in a different spirit than what you're thinking of.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

The White Dragon posted:

Well feminine in romance languages, certainly. But I dunno, the Qus just seem to be ambiguous people with Qu in their name, like Sun Quan and Dan Quayle.

Well yeah, that's what I meant. It's part of the reason people automatically assume Quina's a girl.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
I know I'm a little late, but I want to add that I'm another person whose favorite part of this LP is you breaking the game over your knee, while giving technical info about how and why you can do it.

Alkarl
Aug 26, 2011

Bonus EXP: 300
MVP: Ike
New Ally: Petrine, Greil, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Petrine, Greil, Mordecai, Lethe, Ranulf, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, MPID_BLACKKNIGHT, Greil, Ike, Greil, Ike, Black Knight, Greil, Ike
Also a little late, but I have to say I also really love the adorable boss cards. I'm also a fan of the Nibelheim updates in particular, but honestly, keep doing what you're doing. It's fantastic. :)

Rockdash
Jan 5, 2010
I'm in agreement with Simply Simon about the random encounters. The monster design in this game is pretty fantastic and we need to see more of them. Everything else is excellent.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
I'm going to be super helpful and say all of it. I love all of this thread and my main feedback would be that I want more of it.

zonar
Jan 4, 2012

That was a BAD business decision!
The only thing for me at all is the random encounter thing. Apart from that? This really is fantastic.

Schwartzcough posted:

As there becomes less of a noticeable disparity between pre-rendered CG cutscenes and in-game graphics, I'm hoping there'll be a return to optional characters. That Final Fantasy 6/Chrono Trigger/Final Fantasy 7/FF Tactics stretch all had them, and those were all fantastic games. COINCIDENCE?! I don't think so.
The reasons that they were fantastic weren't "optional party members" :ssh:

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Azure_Horizon posted:

Quina also wears girl's only gear.

DrPain
Apr 29, 2004

Purrfectly priceless
items here.
I never played the sequel, but the first Knights of the Old Republic had at least one optional cat lady jedi character.

Not entirely miss-able, though, since you had to either cut her down or recruit her.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
Quale and Quan seem to be male, who knows with Quina.

I'm more surprised that s/he is apparently 89 years old. Eiko is 6 and looks 9, Vivi is apparently only 6 months chronologically and 9 biologically, Freya is 21, Garnet is just 16, Amarant is 26, Stiener is 33 and Zidane is 16.

Final Fantasy ages are weird...

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Scalding Coffee posted:

I think thats more to add to the ambiguous nature of her/his gender. I'm sure if Final Fantasy games ever had "male only" equipment, like an adamantine codpiece or something, Quina would have been able to equip that too.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Prison Warden posted:

I'm sure if Final Fantasy games ever had "male only" equipment, like an adamantine codpiece or something, Quina would have been able to equip that too.

Kuja wears that :ssh:

Phoenix Taichou
Jun 23, 2010

"Movie reference."

Pesky Splinter posted:

Quale and Quan seem to be male, who knows with Quina.

I'm more surprised that s/he is apparently 89 years old. Eiko is 6 and looks 9, Vivi is apparently only 6 months chronologically and 9 biologically, Freya is 21, Garnet is just 16, Amarant is 26, Stiener is 33 and Zidane is 16.

Final Fantasy ages are weird...

Final Fantasy (or maybe Japan?) can't handle the majority of its main characters not being teenagers. Got some older characters? Let's have some really young characters to balance out the average age. Still comes to 16.

I'm picking, I know, and I get it Japan, but it gets a bit tedious when somehow the teenage population of Japan seem to be all powerful and anyone 20 or over is resigned to mentor status.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Phoenix Taichou posted:

Final Fantasy (or maybe Japan?) can't handle the majority of its main characters not being teenagers. Got some older characters? Let's have some really young characters to balance out the average age. Still comes to 16.

I'm picking, I know, and I get it Japan, but it gets a bit tedious when somehow the teenage population of Japan seem to be all powerful and anyone 20 or over is resigned to mentor status.

It's because of a culture of youth worship in Japan. Basically, being an adult sucks balls.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Slime posted:

It's because of a culture of youth worship in Japan. Basically, being an adult sucks balls.

Well, to be fair, the veneration of youth is a kinda universal thing. Especially in media.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Slime posted:

At least this aspect of their otherwise incomprehensible culture is understandable and relatable, then :v:

Anyway, Elentor, this LP is pretty great. I'd say don't change a thing except maybe show more monsters. As others have said, this game has amazing art direction and I'm sure those who've never played the game would appreciate showing them more of the wonderful monster designs.

Also, I've been considering starting up another 100% run (99 of all items, all treasures, etc.), and was wondering if it'd be ok to run some small mini-updates showing the kind of insane :spergin: this entails.

DEEP STATE PLOT fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Feb 9, 2012

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

On the topic of the LP, I love all of it. It's one of my favorite LPs, hands down, and it's not even finished yet. Hell, I'd be willing to accept it as it is, because it's encouraged me to pick up FF7 again and play it through in a different light as opposed to my 12 year old strategy of "the only good characters are the ones that can hit things really hard" and "enemy skill is the only good caster materia".

On the topic of RPGs with Optional Characters, check out Radiata Stories. You are very rarely forced to have anyone in your party, and in the meantime, you can recruit 170+ different dudes, all with unique attack strategies, personalities, and abilities. I think there are only ~20 NPCs in that game that you can't recruit. Radiata Stories is my favorite game. I will sperg the gently caress out about it at a moment's notice.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Pesky Splinter posted:

Well, to be fair, the veneration of youth is a kinda universal thing. Especially in media.

That's true, but it's even more prevalent in Japanese media. In the west you're more likely to have young but not teenage protagonists. People in their twenties and that.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Scalding Coffee posted:

Cloud wears girl-only gear in Final Fantasy Tactics. Is he a woman?

Wait, don't answer that.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Nakar posted:

Cloud wears girl-only gear in Final Fantasy Tactics. Is he a woman?

Wait, don't answer that.

He has +1 PA, gets worst compatibility with male Leos, and can become a Bard.

Game mechanics! :pseudo:

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

He has +1 PA, gets worst compatibility with male Leos, and can become a Bard.

Game mechanics! :pseudo:
He also has Aeris's birthsign, if the earlier part of the thread is correct.

Skyridge
Jan 1, 2011

I just mentally add 3 to everyone's age in JRPGs. It helps make things not completely stupid.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

A parfait is a dessert, but it is also the French word for perfect.

Phoenix Taichou posted:

Might also be related to the fact that the main target for JRPG's are teenagers. Just like how Manga meant for kids will always star a child character, and Shonen manga will always star a teenager. A lot of Seinen (manga meant for older teenagers and adults) will star older teenagers and adults.

A lot of people forget that just because you enjoy games made for teenagers, doesn't mean those games were made for you.

Slime posted:

Pesky Splinter posted:

And that.

TheWanderingNewbie
Oct 12, 2007

Gotta Get Dem Cheevos

Phoenix Taichou posted:

You know, I was going to mention Nier, then I remembered in Japan the PS3 version they changed the 40something Gruff Father trying to save his daughter into a tweensomething Prettyboy Brother trying to save his sister.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
He started out as a 16 year old and was changed for American audiences. Also, they actually explore how someone so young being in this position can gently caress them up pretty bad. He's not just young for the sake of being young.

TheWanderingNewbie
Oct 12, 2007

Gotta Get Dem Cheevos

Momomo posted:

He started out as a 16 year old and was changed for American audiences. Also, they actually explore how someone so young being in this position can gently caress them up pretty bad. He's not just young for the sake of being young.

Wikipedia posted:

Nier was originally intended to be exclusive to the Xbox 360.[7] After deciding to also release it for PlayStation 3, the developers split the Japanese version of the game into Replicant and Gestalt, as they believed that Japanese audiences would respond more strongly to a younger protagonist than to the adult Nier. The older Nier was the original design, as Cavia wanted "a very strong adult male character as its lead character.""[5] Other than changing Nier's appearance and modifying a few lines of dialogue to fit with him being a brother rather than a father to Yonah, the developers made no changes between the two versions.[5]

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
Apparently the younger Nier came first.

TheWanderingNewbie
Oct 12, 2007

Gotta Get Dem Cheevos

I guess I was wrong, never mind carry on then. That's what i get for trusting Wikipedia.

EDIT: Long story short, Papa Nier is the best thing you can find in a JRPG.

TheWanderingNewbie fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Feb 9, 2012

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
This is why Basch is the best main character in a Final Fantasy, and is also why FF6 has one of the best casts overall.

Amidiri
Apr 26, 2010

Phoenix Taichou posted:

Well, in 7 at least, the youngest character is Yuffie at 17. The rest are either nonhumans (Red XIII) or in their 20s or higher!

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Thanks for the feedback. The Wutai Monster thing is a valid criticism. I had some issues with this area because of the amount of content. It's very dense. I did take screenshots of the random encounters but didn't use them yet because I thought it messed up the pacing. Nevertheless, I will show them in the due time, but I'll pay more attention to the random encounters.

quote:

Goofy boss art

Oh God I'm so glad these don't go unnoticed.

Phoenix Taichou posted:

The games can handle - FF7 is proof of it (the cast is pretty old for RPG standards). But you can only go so far before PR and Marketing interfere.

Like how Va'an exists solely because the protagonist would otherwise be too old.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Amidiri posted:

Well, in 7 at least, the youngest character is Yuffie at 17. The rest are either nonhumans (Red XIII) or in their 20s or higher!

Yeah, but even then Cloud managed to join the military, reach an elite rank, quit, and become a mercenary by 21.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

George posted:

This is why Basch is the best main character in a Final Fantasy, and is also why FF6 has one of the best casts overall.

Greatest general of the Empire, Celes, an 18 year old girl.

• Locked thread