Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!
So I made a thing for tour dates.

http://www.metalplague.com/

I wouldn't just be plugging this in here if I didn't think it'd be useful with all the tours coming up.

No bullshit, just tour dates. It's a wordpress theme, all the bands are catagories and all the locations are the tags, so you can just click on whatever and it'll show what's in that area. I had this page going for a while but it died, and all the talk about tour dates got me going again. I originally had it set up to publish to facebook, twitter, and tumblr, and I'll work on getting that back up and rolling. edit: hey cool, it looks like my automated publishing settings are still operating. mp on http://www.facebook.com/metalplague and https://twitter.com/666metalplague

And any of you awesome goons who are way more in the know about tour stuff than I am, it'd be super if you could shoot any tour info my way at submit@metalplague.com

Thanks for your time :black101:

also publishing to http://metalplague.tumblr.com

edit: grammar and added tumblr link

Fiendish Dr. Wu fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Feb 11, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

The Sweetling posted:

What are a couple of really good online metal stations? I think metal's my #2 genre. Reggae probably first coz really, you can't top reggae.

I used to listen to KNAC.com but that was a long time ago and I don't know if it's the same.

Website sure looks the same.

Defiant Sally
May 6, 2004

Focus your Orochi.

The Sweetling posted:

What are a couple of really good online metal stations? I think metal's my #2 genre. Reggae probably first coz really, you can't top reggae.

Death.fm is pretty awesome like 90% of the time.

A TURGID FATSO
Jan 27, 2004

Here's to ya, JACKASS

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

So I made a thing for tour dates.

http://www.metalplague.com/

I wouldn't just be plugging this in here if I didn't think it'd be useful with all the tours coming up.

No bullshit, just tour dates. It's a wordpress theme, all the bands are catagories and all the locations are the tags, so you can just click on whatever and it'll show what's in that area. I had this page going for a while but it died, and all the talk about tour dates got me going again. I originally had it set up to publish to facebook, twitter, and tumblr, and I'll work on getting that back up and rolling. edit: hey cool, it looks like my automated publishing settings are still operating. mp on http://www.facebook.com/metalplague and https://twitter.com/666metalplague

And any you awesome goons who are way more in the know about tour stuff than I am, it'd be super if you could shoot any tour info my way at submit@metalplague.com

Thanks for your time :black101:

This is pretty sweet. Bookmarked.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

quote:

Ex-Mudslide Frontman the great Steve Thunderbolt seeks a talented bassist and drummer to form a new heavy metal band. I play rhythm and lead guitar and sing. I play thrash, black, and glam metal. The only band in the history of heavy metal who has ever attempted this was Celtic Frost. It failed because they were too much glam and not enough black and thrash metal. I am the other way around, in that I have more black and thrash metal songs than I do glam songs, but I do have blonde hair so I have a glam image. I have a 12 track recorder and have made numerous cds for Mudslide including "Secret Right to Rock and Roll Reloaded," "Dragonfly of Passion," "Hollywood and Vine," "Columbia City Theater Live," "Studio 7 Live," "The Central Saloon Live 1 and 2," "Station 56 Live," "Chai House Live," "Colortura," "Merkava," "Dark Prophet," and our last album, "In My Final Hours." I have a lot of gigging experience and have my own amps and equipment. Please be over 21 and under 45. Alcohol and drugs are fine except for heroin and crack, so if you are into heroin or crack please do not respond to this ad. All races are welcome except for blacks, so if you are black, pleae do not respond to this ad. I am not racist, it is a drug issue and a safety issue and I cannot have black people at my house. I live in Issaquah and use my house as a practice space. So if you wanna do something that's only been attempted once before in the entire history of music, email mudsliderock@gmail.com or call 425-306-****. Belive me, where Celtic Frost failed, I will succeed.

Hellwuzzat
Nov 28, 2008
Openly discriminates against black people and old people, but not fat chicks. Whut? I like how he's defensive about being racist. "Well, it's not your blackness that's the problem. It's just that black people like you really just want to do all my drugs and steal my precious audio equipment. Yeah. No, I meant black people like you, not you, specifically. Though, I couldn't rule you out."

Xombie
May 22, 2004

Soul Thrashing Black Sorcery

quote:

Belive me, where Celtic Frost failed, I will succeed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZvEiQDQ1MyM

Hellwuzzat posted:

Openly discriminates against black people and old people, but not fat chicks. Whut? I like how he's defensive about being racist. "Well, it's not your blackness that's the problem. It's just that black people like you really just want to do all my drugs and steal my precious audio equipment. Yeah. No, I meant black people like you, not you, specifically. Though, I couldn't rule you out."

I also like how he is against crack, but apparently coke is just fine.

Xombie fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Feb 11, 2012

thepitgoddess
Dec 23, 2009

Even Death Metal Monsters Love Cookies

MoreMetalBrian posted:

Lock-Up and Goatwhore
(Really, any chance to see Tomas is fine with me)

Oh, and the Meshuggah, Decapitated, Baroness tour.

My best bud is doing Goatwhore's merch, say hi!

Also, Northeast, you don't get Alcest because you got them last time.

AND this is the first time that Florida has gotten a big chunk of the national tours that are being booked. Hell yes, finally. (Florida knows it's my last year here and it's trying to win back my heart)

thepitgoddess fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Feb 13, 2012

thepitgoddess
Dec 23, 2009

Even Death Metal Monsters Love Cookies

Misogynist posted:

Pretty sure this is satire too, or at least a joke. Like the universenumberfive and tyrannyoftradition blogs that everyone has been reposting all over facebook, even though it's obviously satire. :P

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

The Sweetling posted:

How about onslaughtradio.com?

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

thepitgoddess posted:

Pretty sure this is satire too, or at least a joke. Like the universenumberfive and tyrannyoftradition blogs that everyone has been reposting all over facebook, even though it's obviously satire. :P
http://wewhoareabouttodie.com/2012/02/11/mudslide-is-real/

I think I actually get more disappointed when it's not satire

nudejedi
Mar 5, 2002

Shanghai Tippytap

Xombie posted:

I also like how he is against crack, but apparently coke is just fine.

That's cause you know, those people do the crack rocks.
I was almost sure that ad was a troll too, amazing.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

If this guy is a troll he's got Andy Kaufman dedication to his craft

Meclin
Dec 3, 2011

Has anyone caught the newish show "Metal Evolution" on VH-1 Classic? It is an expansion of the documentary A Headbangers Journey. The host is a Canadian headbanging sociologist. I was unaware of the European power metal scene, besides Malmstein, and they did a whole episode on the genre recently. I have been listening to Nightwish an embarrasing amount of time since hearing them on the show. Any suggestions of other big power metal groups to check out?

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Meclin posted:

besides Malmstein
Ezekiel Jonathan Malmstein

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Meclin posted:

Has anyone caught the newish show "Metal Evolution" on VH-1 Classic? It is an expansion of the documentary A Headbangers Journey. The host is a Canadian headbanging sociologist. I was unaware of the European power metal scene, besides Malmstein, and they did a whole episode on the genre recently. I have been listening to Nightwish an embarrasing amount of time since hearing them on the show. Any suggestions of other big power metal groups to check out?

Off the top of my head:
Sonata Arctica (Reckoning Night and prior; now they suck), Blind Guardian, Rage, Falconer, Edguy, Epica.

But I haven't listened to power metal in awhile.

Stay Safe
Sep 1, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

IRQ posted:

Off the top of my head:
Sonata Arctica (Reckoning Night and prior; now they suck), Blind Guardian, Rage, Falconer, Edguy, Epica.

But I haven't listened to power metal in awhile.

Helloween I guess.

Monkeytime
Mar 20, 2010

Meclin posted:

Hammerfall, Demons and Wizards, Dragonforce in ascending order of hilarity.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Monkeytime posted:

Hammerfall, Demons and Wizards, Dragonforce in ascending order of hilarity.

I wish I could believe that Dragonforce is a joke band, but then I remember that time I had the misfortune of seeing Powerglove (I was there for Symphony X) and people were totally into it.

Nothing wrong with Demons and Wizards though, those are two really solid albums.

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

IRQ posted:

I wish I could believe that Dragonforce is a joke band, but then I remember that time I had the misfortune of seeing Powerglove (I was there for Symphony X) and people were totally into it.
Dragonforce became famous for a video that portrayed a dueling-guitar solo as the two guitarists playing a video game against each other. I don't think they're in much danger of taking themselves too seriously.

They still only have effectively one song after 4? albums, so I guess if you really, really love that song you should buy their albums and hear 20 variations on it?

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Incoherence posted:

Dragonforce became famous for a video that portrayed a dueling-guitar solo as the two guitarists playing a video game against each other. I don't think they're in much danger of taking themselves too seriously.

They still only have effectively one song after 4? albums, so I guess if you really, really love that song you should buy their albums and hear 20 variations on it?

Actually, they have 2 songs: Standard Dragonforce power metal and standard tripe ballad. 4 albums, ad nauseum.

Captain Cancer
Sep 18, 2005

Teach em' young
I really loving love 'Murder' by Katatonia, but not really the rest of their songs from what I've heard. Anything else like Murder I should seek out (by any band)? The music at the beginning/end of the track is just magnificent.

EDIT: Seems the answer was "Agalloch"

Captain Cancer fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Feb 12, 2012

Elrond Hubbard
Mar 30, 2007

To ERH
*everyone applauds*
Odd question, but does anyone have the lyrics for Gallowbraid's 'Ashen Eidolon' album?

Gaggins
Nov 20, 2007

Captain Cancer posted:

I really loving love 'Murder' by Katatonia, but not really the rest of their songs from what I've heard. Anything else like Murder I should seek out (by any band)? The music at the beginning/end of the track is just magnificent.

You will probably enjoy the rest of that album, Brave Murder Day. The one before that is great too, Dance Of December Souls. The rest of Katatonia sucks imo. This is a little off, but the way the chords grind together in 'Murder' reminds me a little of early In Flames -- you might want to check out The Jester Race by them if you haven't already. Keep in mind, it's a kind of a stretch to recommend that but there you have it.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Meclin posted:

Any suggestions of other big power metal groups to check out?
Gamma Ray, definitely. They're kinda the equivalent of Megadeth in the euro-power scene; They are an "offshoot" founded by a former member of a legendary band, have released some classics of their own, and are still going strong whereas their progenitor has fallen into mediocrity/downright shittiness. Somewhere Out in Space, Powerplant and No World Order are a fantastic trio of albums.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Captain Cancer posted:

The answer is always Agalloch. Honestly though, I've heard the Katatonia comparison before and don't agree with it at all. Katatonia is boring as all get out.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Captain Cancer posted:

Daylight Dies.

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

Another track off of Sigh's new and very strange album:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vPRCwn-e0yw

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
And two more:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ECtL35qZ-dE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJMNyFYuNFA

I uh... :stare:

I have no idea what I just listened to, but I want more immediately. They've turned into some weird mix of black metal, Sega video game soundtracks, X-Japan, and fusion jazz.

velvet milkman
Feb 13, 2012

by R. Guyovich

aliencowboy posted:

Another track off of Sigh's new and very strange album:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vPRCwn-e0yw

Holy hell, that saxophone solo. I love this kinda avant-garde poo poo. I've never really been into Sigh, but this album may change things. Something (the shittiness) about their production value has always turned me off.

velvet milkman fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Feb 13, 2012

nuncle jimbo
Apr 3, 2009

:pcgaming:
that album is going to destroy, god drat

BSchlang
Mar 27, 2009
Foo Fighters won the Metal/Hard-Rock Grammy, in case anyone still gives two shits about the Grammys.

I was kinda hoping for Mastodon or Dream Theater, even though I knew it was never gonna happen :(

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
How are they even applicable for that category?

BoyGenius
Jul 22, 2003

by Ralp
I've been listening to Wuthering Heights a lot lately, particularly this song:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uU5n-grrkc8

velvet milkman
Feb 13, 2012

by R. Guyovich

BoyGenius posted:

I've been listening to Wuthering Heights a lot lately, particularly this song:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uU5n-grrkc8

I don't really know much about Wuthering Heights but I think this song is loving great. Their singer is really fantastic.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Wuthering Heights, gently caress yeah. <3
Far from the Madding Crowd and Shadow Cabinet are both really good albums, but Salt really blew my loving mind. The Mad Sailor, The Desperate Poet and The Last Tribe are a bloody amazing trio of songs. Goddamn catchy choruses, and rather unusually for a (sorta) power metal band, bloody good lyrics.

And indeed, Nils Patrik Johansson is a world-class vocalist, loving powerful and charismatic as hell.
I've said it before in this thread, but it was many pages ago: He also sings in Astral Doors, which is also a fantastically good band. Just traditional heavy metal without any gimmicks, but just immensely well done overall. Case in point.

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

wAstIng 10 bUcks ON an aVaTar iS StUpid

Meclin posted:

Thanks for that; I'll check them out. He also did Global Metal, and "Flight 666", check THOSE out! :D

Power metal bands that I enjoy:
Sonata Arctica
Dragonforce (yeah, gently caress you all)
Gamma Ray
Helloween
Blind Guardian
Nightwish
Van Canto (their latest album has some pretty good tunes, and sounds less ridiculous that their previous crap)
Edguy (except the last album)
Avantasia

EDIT: I don't think this qualifies as "FILES", so I'll give it a shot. Last.fm radio is not available for free outside the US, Canada and Germany. Yesterday I found out that if I use a US proxy I can listen to it just fine. I googled some proxies, and only one of them worked, but not very well. Can anyone help a goon in need? :)
EDIT2: I'm using one right now that seems fairly decent. If another goon needs it, PM me. However, suggestions of others are always useful.

Redrum and Coke fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Feb 13, 2012

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional
I've dropped them in this thread before, but Jess and the Ancient Ones' debut album is due early this year. After their earlier EP, this is one of my most anticipated releases of the year.

If you think Ghost, Year of the Goat, Blood Ceremony, Devil, The Devil's Blood are any good, check this band out.

Concatenation
Jul 23, 2005

Your human mentality cries out for vengeance and thrives on the violence you say you can hardly endure.
If you guys are keen to hear the new Napalm Death album: I co-host a weekly extreme metal show on https://www.thepitfm.com called The Blast Zone, and this Friday (Thursday evening in the US/CA) we'll be playing it in it's entirety. I've only given it one spin so far but it hasn't disappointed me, Barney's vocal delivery is more diverse than ever and there are some great nods to old school hardcore punk amidst the groovy riff fest. Also, a saxophone.

Anyway tune in if you're keen and maybe throw a request or two my way for next week.

Australian WST: Fridays 9am-12, repeats 7pm-10pm
UTC: Fridays 1am-4am, repeats 11am-2pm
US CST: Thursdays 7pm-10pm repeats Fridays 5am-8am

(hopefully not too shameless a plug)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Pretentious Turtle posted:

How are they even applicable for that category?

Because it's the Grammys. If something even vaguely metal-like is even nominated it's surprising and probably was a mistake.