Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AllTerrineVehicle
Jan 8, 2010

I'm great at boats!
Having an Indian food night tonight at my friend's place tonight and was wondering if anyone had a suggestion/recommendation for a paneer-based curry? I was thinking maybe mutter paneer but please feel free to regale me with tales of amazing paneer curry.

Actually, just regale me with tales of curry. Curry owns.

Paneer snype:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR
Gonna once again throw my hat in with saag paneer.

Had it yesterday.

So good.

Cowcatcher
Dec 23, 2005

OUR PEOPLE WERE BORN OF THE SKY

Gummy Joe posted:

Hello GWS, Valentine's Day approaches and I have rashly declared that I will prepare beef wellington. To that end, I need a Beef Wellington recipe. I've watched the Gordon Ramsay video so the basic principle isn't foreign to me, but some more concrete direction would be liked.
Any suggestions of a good side to go along with it would be appreciated as well!

I made it twice last month (because first time the meat came out overcooked). You can follow any recipe, just make sure you get the right cut (ask for the file mignon cut, it's not cheap).

Sear the meat on maximum possible heat, but don't cook it. Do the thing where you heat up an iron pan in the oven on max, then turn on the stovetop on max, put the pan on it and immediately sear 1 min on each side. Mustard it up and stick it in the fridge until it's really cold.

For the sauce, I used finely chopped shallots and mushrooms in butter. Refrigirate.

Use the thinner puff pastry (or thin it out with a rolling pin) because you don't want to keep it in the oven for more than 10-15 min. I also splurged on a small can of duck foie gras ($20 but oh god so buttery, good for 4 steaks) but you can go with a thin layer of fancy liverwust.

Now I have to wait until my finances recover to be able to make it again.

squigadoo
Mar 25, 2011

Casu Marzu posted:

In regards to rice, I've let it sit in a covered pot for a day or two and have just scooped right out of that and eaten it to no ill effect ever.

Okay, so my family did that all the time and I am okay with doing it. However, my poor boyfriend's stomach can't handle 2 day old rice. It's possible that my family has cast iron stomachs and the boyfriend is a delicate flower, but fridge the rice if you don't freeze it, Camembert.

Rice is the gift/nightmare that keeps on giving. You can reheat it, fry it, make it into porridge. And then you'll cry at the end of the week and try not to make so much rice ever again.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Here's a solid wellington recipe with lots of good pictures to help walk you through step by step:

http://simplyrecipes.com/recipes/beef_wellington/

I've not done this that many times, but we never used mustard on ours. I can see how it would help though.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Joborgzorz posted:

Having an Indian food night tonight at my friend's place tonight and was wondering if anyone had a suggestion/recommendation for a paneer-based curry? I was thinking maybe mutter paneer but please feel free to regale me with tales of amazing paneer curry.

Actually, just regale me with tales of curry. Curry owns.

Paneer snype:

shahipaneershahipaneershahipaneer with cashews and cream and butter :d :d :d :d

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

MAYBE DON'T STEAL BEER FROM GOONS?

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)
What's my best bet to get an assortment of high quality dark chocolates? Preferably just plain bars and identified by origin.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
What should I look for in the grocery store for pepperoni to put on pizza?

Since I've moved to Canada, I haven't found any in the grocery stores other than the tiny ones that you just eat as a snack. None of the bigger pizza-sized ones.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

HookShot posted:

What should I look for in the grocery store for pepperoni to put on pizza?

Since I've moved to Canada, I haven't found any in the grocery stores other than the tiny ones that you just eat as a snack. None of the bigger pizza-sized ones.

I generally just go to the deli counter and ask for slices.

A jargogle
Feb 22, 2011
How long and at what temperature should I roast a 2.5kg chicken for.

edit: not a 25kg chicken.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

A jargogle posted:

How long and at what temperature should I roast a 2.5kg chicken for.

edit: not a 25kg chicken.

425 F until an instant read inserted into thickest part of thigh reads 165 F. Pull and rest for 15 min.

You may need to tent your bird with foil to prevent skin burning if it is a superhormonefactoryfarm bird.

Two Headed Calf
Feb 22, 2005

Better than One

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench posted:

What's my best bet to get an assortment of high quality dark chocolates? Preferably just plain bars and identified by origin.

Most high end grocery stores (whole foods, trader joes) will have this.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

fatherdog posted:

I generally just go to the deli counter and ask for slices.

Cool, thanks!

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

MAYBE DON'T STEAL BEER FROM GOONS?

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)

Two Headed Calf posted:

Most high end grocery stores (whole foods, trader joes) will have this.

Unfortunately the only high end retailer is a locally owned co-op that normally kicks rear end, but has a somewhat limited selection on less popular items. There any worthwhile online options?

Two Headed Calf
Feb 22, 2005

Better than One

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench posted:

Unfortunately the only high end retailer is a locally owned co-op that normally kicks rear end, but has a somewhat limited selection on less popular items. There any worthwhile online options?

While I havent ordered from them, this should meet what you are looking for:

http://www.chocolatepath.com/find-dark-chocolate-by-region.aspx

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls
I'm trying to make homemade raviolis and I've got some issues.

One: I've been having some issues with the dough getting some holes while running through the pasta machine. Level 1 (the thinnest setting) was next to impossible. I got it out of 2 sometimes ok, but it was still a pain and 2 is way too thick. I just tested some and while they were ok where the stuffing is, the edges are definitely too thick and doughy. It's a bit on the sticky side when I run through. More flour on the dough itself, and on my hands and machine?

Should I go back and add more flour to the dough and keep going through it? My other suspicion would be that the drat pasta maker is moving too much because I can't find a goddamn counter that is thin enough to sinch it to.

Second question: I made four test ones and they came out a bit lumpy, even the one that I made perfectly. I'm making big hearts for Valentine's :allears: At first, I was individually cutting heart shapes and throwing on top like sandwiches. The good one came from just throwing a sheet, stuffing, then another srheet and cutting together.

Is this an issue tied to the mixture I am using?

Thanks!

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

What's the best cut to use for steak au poivre?

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Kenning posted:

What's the best cut to use for steak au poivre?

filet

geetee
Feb 2, 2004

>;[

THE MACHO MAN posted:

One: I've been having some issues with the dough getting some holes while running through the pasta machine.

I sprinkle and rub a little flour on my dough every few passes with the roller. You don't want it sticky for reasons you've experienced.

razz
Dec 26, 2005

Queen of Maceration
How do I know if buttermilk is bad?

Mach420
Jun 22, 2002
Bandit at 6 'o clock - Pull my finger

THE MACHO MAN posted:

I'm trying to make homemade raviolis and I've got some issues.

Is this an issue tied to the mixture I am using?

Thanks!

I could almost swear that Alton Brown had mentioned on a show (lasagna?) that having salt crystals in the dough is a recipe for disaster because of holes. Maybe it has something to do with that?

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

What's y'all's favorite way to do London broil? I've got a 2.5 lb slab that needs cookin' tonight!

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls
Thanks for the replies as usual guys

geetee posted:

I sprinkle and rub a little flour on my dough every few passes with the roller. You don't want it sticky for reasons you've experienced.

Yeah liberal use of the flour did the trick, in addition to pre rolling it a bit with a rolling pin.

I'm making another batch tomorrow, so maybe I will try without the salt. I think every single one called for salt though

THE MACHO MAN fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Feb 12, 2012

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
What can I do with a ton of cilantro?

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

totalnewbie posted:

Hari Chatni:

http://www.indobase.com/recipes/details/green-chutney.php

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

totalnewbie posted:

Annoy the everloving poo poo out of people who hate cilantro! Or make a bunch of pesto and freeze it.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
Thanks for the ideas, I will definitely try them. But...

I'm talking like... several times this amount of cilantro

The grocery store sells cilantro by huge bunches and I keep throwing away tons of it.

totalnewbie fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Feb 12, 2012

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

That is precisely the thing to do, Avatar.

TychoCelchuuu posted:

Annoy the everloving poo poo out of people who hate cilantro! Or make a bunch of pesto and freeze it.
:argh:

There is a fantastic Vietnamese Sub place near me that gives me a biggest stinkeye everytime I ask them to hold the cilantro, but I just can't stand the stuff. I've tried, really I have.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Kenning posted:

What's y'all's favorite way to do London broil? I've got a 2.5 lb slab that needs cookin' tonight!

Broil it

Mr. Pizza
Oct 5, 2009

How do you make a nearly finished dish less salty? I'm talking about immediately before plating, you taste, and something got hosed up and it is way too salty; what do you do?

Real-life example (admittedly, super-lame):

I was improvising for some friends, which ended up being box mac 'n cheese with blackened shrimp, onions, and garlic. The pasta ended up being way too salty by the time it was finished (it was pretty clearly a result of over-salting the cooking water). I didn't know what to do to help the situation, and it really ruined any sense of what I was trying to do with the meal (some sort of balance between the rich, less salty pasta, and the salty, sweet shrimp/onions).
The mac was cooked separate from the whole shrimp/onion thing, so I basically had to address a super salty sauce/pasta situation. I'm curious if anyone has any emergency procedures which might help in such a situation, or any other helpful tips to use when seasoning otherwise goes awry...

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

He just wants someone to shake his corks, is that too much to ask??

St. John Coltrane posted:

How do you make a nearly finished dish less salty? I'm talking about immediately before plating, you taste, and something got hosed up and it is way too salty; what do you do?

I was improvising for some friends, which ended up being box mac 'n cheese with blackened shrimp, onions, and garlic. The pasta ended up being way too salty by the time it was finished (it was pretty clearly a result of over-salting the cooking water). I didn't know what to do to help the situation, and it really ruined any sense of what I was trying to do with the meal (some sort of balance between the rich, less salty pasta, and the salty, sweet shrimp/onions).
The mac was cooked separate from the whole shrimp/onion thing, so I basically had to address a super salty sauce/pasta situation. I'm curious if anyone has any emergency procedures which might help in such a situation, or any other helpful tips to use when seasoning otherwise goes awry...

You can offset the salt with some bitter - coffee (I poo poo you not) will masque some of the salt.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Coffee grounds?

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

He just wants someone to shake his corks, is that too much to ask??
just strong black coffee.

Psychobabble
Jan 17, 2006

St. John Coltrane posted:

Acid will cut the salt. I mean it won't make it less salty but the acidity will make it seem less salty. The only way to really make it less salty though would be to increase the volume of what you are cooking, such as cooking off more unseasoned pasta.

Darval
Nov 20, 2007

Shiny.
Chef-friend of mine says you can mask it with sugar

Im A Lime
Nov 18, 2007

I've got a shitload of pulled pork I made the other day, but for some weird reason, I haven't been in the mood to eat plain pork.

What are some good soups/stews I could make with it? I'm thinking of throwing a bunch of stuff in my crockpot and making a sort of spicy tortilla soup with pork. But what's a good tortilla soup recipe? I've tried making a few of the basic ones I've found online, but they were pretty plain. Anyone got anything?

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

:chef: :eng99:

Susical posted:

I've got a shitload of pulled pork I made the other day, but for some weird reason, I haven't been in the mood to eat plain pork.

What are some good soups/stews I could make with it? I'm thinking of throwing a bunch of stuff in my crockpot and making a sort of spicy tortilla soup with pork. But what's a good tortilla soup recipe? I've tried making a few of the basic ones I've found online, but they were pretty plain. Anyone got anything?

sweat mirepoix and some hot peppers (to taste)
add tomato paste cook til rusty colored
deglaze with splash red wine (or beer or water if you must)
add oven roasted tomatoes and chicken stock
cook 45m
puree that poo poo
add in your mixins (pork, cilantro, powdered cumin and coriander would be nice, epazote would be traditional)
season with salt, pepper, lime juice
top with your crispy tortillas and creamy whatever

alternately you can sub tomatillos for roasted tomatoes, double up on the cilantro and green chiles, and mixin some canned hominy and thats a pretty decent pozole verde

Im A Lime
Nov 18, 2007

Turkeybone posted:

sweat mirepoix and some hot peppers (to taste)
add tomato paste cook til rusty colored
deglaze with splash red wine (or beer or water if you must)
add oven roasted tomatoes and chicken stock
cook 45m
puree that poo poo
add in your mixins (pork, cilantro, powdered cumin and coriander would be nice, epazote would be traditional)
season with salt, pepper, lime juice
top with your crispy tortillas and creamy whatever

alternately you can sub tomatillos for roasted tomatoes, double up on the cilantro and green chiles, and mixin some canned hominy and thats a pretty decent pozole verde

Thanks!! I shall try this later.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Kenning posted:

London Broil means different things in different places. Take a picture of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

razz posted:

How do I know if buttermilk is bad?

Curdled or fuzzy. Otherwise it's fine - buttermilk lasts a long time.