Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Codiusprime posted:

I don't get it :(

Rastor posted:

512MB, dual core, 10 inch screen... so it's competing with the iPad 2?

Rastor posted:

so it's competing with the iPad 2?

Rastor posted:

it's the iPad 2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

"It's an iPad YOSPOS Bitch"

jc821
Dec 17, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post

cheeze posted:

I thought this would be a good time to post here since my company has decided that it is
time to produce a tablet. We've been working a lot on this and are confident in our hardware,
software, etc and plan on producing one of the best devices a consumer can buy.

Anyways, I thought I would post the specs and ideas going into this, as we have worked on this for
nearly two years. The goal is to keep the price reasonable by focusing on core features.

i personally feel that this is a good way to go, as rather than a smattering of options, we will
Put our efforts into the features that will please the most people, while maintaining the best all-
around experience. Our intended specs are 16GB base storage, 512MB RAM, ~10 inch screen, a low power
dual-core processor, and a battery large enough for 10 hours of usage.

Your usage will vary from ours, but we've maximized the battery life by optimizing everything. The
operating system will be stock, we see no need to try to improve on the best mobile/tablet operating
system ever created. Despite our less powerful hardware, good engineering created a device with
performance that is on par, or exceeds, that of other tablets with more powerful hardware. Yes, we
only have a dual-core processor, but we feel that we struck a good balance between hardware and
software optimizations, achieving our battery life goal, abd without sacrificing performance.

Basically, the idea here is to do more with less. More battery life out of a dual-core processor,
increasing the value by not adding features of dubious usefullness (barometer, etc). Software
that gets out of the users way, and prevents the necessity of rooting to provide the expereince a
customer should get out of the box from a device that costs hundreds of dollars.
Hopefully everyone is excited about this as I am!

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Kirk
Sep 22, 2003

Kynetx posted:

More RAM. Considering how much storage is cloud-based and SD cards are cheap, you could scale back the internal bulk storage to fund more RAM.
One of the intangibles that has worked so well for Apple that seems to be ignored by Android manufacturers is scrolling smoothness. I think there are specific optimizations for this purpose built into the Cortex chips made for Apple, but perhaps some kernel tweaking could be effective?

Good idea. Kernel optimization will fix the problem.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

ICS fixed the problem.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Rastor posted:

ICS fixed the problem.

Didn't HC have hardware acceleration as well? People were still reporting problems with that on the last page. Or are you talking about something else?

e:
vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv

There was a specific post by a Google engineer that explained the differences between Android's rendering method and the one used by every other mobile OS. I'll try to find it.

butt dickus fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Feb 10, 2012

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Was it this thread or the last thread when we had the huge multi-page derail about Android interface responsiveness? I think it was back in December when those Google+ posts started the whole saga.

Basically, go read the old thread if you care about why Android's interface chugs.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Was it this thread or the last thread when we had the huge multi-page derail about Android interface responsiveness? I think it was back in December when those Google+ posts started the whole saga.

Basically, go read the old thread if you care about why Android's interface chugs.

I remember complaining and constantly being aware of my inability to do simple things like post on SA using the effing browser back in HC 3.0-3.2 and that was after the stock browser finally got better than the competitors. Honeycomb really was such a piece of crap. How can you be several multi-jillion dollar companies working together on something and end up with it being so bad?

That said, it's done a masterful psychological job on making me appreciate ICS. Look, hardware acceleration, just like we promised!! Oh, and you can post on the Internet again!

At least my tablet helped wean me off of Flash. That was pretty good.

skeevy achievements
Feb 25, 2008

by merry exmarx

Craptacular! posted:

I think the sad lesson of the Prime is that as long as your first on the market with bleeding edge technology, early adopters will shoot themselves in the foot while crying that it hurts.

I don't think working GPS is really "bleeding edge technology" here in 2012.

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005
Master of procrastination

That actually happened in the old General Android thread, not in the Tablet thread.

The G+ posts in question (to save digging):

Initial post by Android Framework engineer, Dianne Hackborne

An interns interpretation

Dianne Hackbornes indirect response to the intern

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

https://plus.google.com/105051985738280261832/posts/2FXDCz8x93s

Here's the +post that explains how Android renders things differently than other mobile OSs, UI smoothness, etc...

e: well gently caress. Beaten severely.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

TildeATH posted:

I remember complaining and constantly being aware of my inability to do simple things like post on SA using the effing browser back in HC 3.0-3.2 and that was after the stock browser finally got better than the competitors. Honeycomb really was such a piece of crap. How can you be several multi-jillion dollar companies working together on something and end up with it being so bad?

Honeycomb was horribly delayed but they had to have something to compete so they took their developers off the phone part and rushed the tablet part and shipped it unfinished.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Don Lapre posted:

Honeycomb was horribly delayed but they had to have something to compete so they took their developers off the phone part and rushed the tablet part and shipped it unfinished.

A jillion dollars, and they couldn't give me the ability to type things into a text box on the Internet.

It's incomprehensible.

I know the iPad 2 has worse specs, except in it's Number of Missing Core Capabilities That Make You Want To Throw It Through a Window.

That said, there's still no file structure in the Mackintouch, and ICS seems to have solved the many blights on Honeycomb, so I feel less like I lit $600 on fire than I used to.

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

Full of ignorant tribalism. Kinda sad.

So we get a day or two to discuss the technology instead of fending off the YOSPOS knuckle-draggers and you declare the subject off limits? C'mon man... I'd rather read re-hashed content than shitposts.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Kynetx posted:

So we get a day or two to discuss the technology instead of fending off the YOSPOS knuckle-draggers and you declare the subject off limits? C'mon man... I'd rather read re-hashed content than shitposts.
DID YOU KNOW: it takes time for probations to go through because an admin has to approve them?

It's not my fault idiots bit on an obvious troll.

edit: If you guys are going to insist on biting on every troll before I can get to them, I can just close the thread again while we wait for probations to clear like I did last time.

Star War Sex Parrot fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Feb 10, 2012

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

This is now a bans only zone. Tread carefully and stay on target, otherwise the red hammer's gonna get'chu.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

cbubbles posted:

I checked out the site the first time it was linked - do know If you buy into the current beta do you get the release version without paying more? It mentioned the release version will "cost more" I think, but I didn't see an exact price.

It's half price while in beta, and then doubles when it hits 1.0. So basically if you buy it early you get a discount as a thank you for supporting development of the app. You won't need to rebuy it once it hits 1.0 or anything.

He updates it regularly since he uses it himself and he also incorporates suggestions from other photographers in the apps XDA thread, it's worth supporting.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Didn't HC have hardware acceleration as well? People were still reporting problems with that on the last page. Or are you talking about something else?

ICS on my phone (Nexus S) seems significantly smoother than HC on my tablet (A500). Sure the tablet is pushing a bunch more pixels but its definitely much more powerful hardware-wise so fingers crossed for the ICS release.

Speaking of which is there any word on when Acer may do their ICS release? Most of the stuff I've seen has said 'January 2012' which obviously didn't happen.

nickhimself
Jul 16, 2007

I GIVE YOU MY INFO YOU LOG IN AND PUT IN BUILD I PAY YOU 3 BLESSINGS

Gorilla Salsa posted:

So I did this earlier, and it blew my loving mind:

It's useless for me, in practice, but still super loving neat. I discovered it while disabling bundled software (thanks for the ability to do that, ICS).

What exactly did you do here? All I see is your streamed desktop from Splashtop?

Secret Sweater
Oct 17, 2005
dup

nickhimself posted:

What exactly did you do here? All I see is your streamed desktop from Splashtop?

Remote desktop is pretty amazing stuff for people seeing it for the first time, which is most people even today.

I remote desktop into client's computers and 9/10 they're like, "WOAH MY MOUSE IS MOVING ROFLME"

I'll probably be replacing my TF101 sometime this year, my biggest gripe with the current tablets is UI lag. That poo poo is completely unacceptable and drives me loving nuts. If the android offerings can't at least give me an enjoyable experience where I don't have to wait 2-3 business weeks to go between portait and landscape mode, I'll probably seriously consider an ipad 3 since they seem to have figured out how to have fluid motion without FOUR CORES.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Secret Sweater posted:

Remote desktop is pretty amazing stuff for people seeing it for the first time, which is most people even today.

I remote desktop into client's computers and 9/10 they're like, "WOAH MY MOUSE IS MOVING ROFLME"

I'll probably be replacing my TF101 sometime this year, my biggest gripe with the current tablets is UI lag. That poo poo is completely unacceptable and drives me loving nuts. If the android offerings can't at least give me an enjoyable experience where I don't have to wait 2-3 business weeks to go between portait and landscape mode, I'll probably seriously consider an ipad 3 since they seem to have figured out how to have fluid motion without FOUR CORES.

Might be worth waiting for ICS to hit the original TF to see if that has any effect. Granted they claimed HC was going to fix UI lag as well, but *shrug* why not wait?

Gorilla Salsa
Dec 4, 2007

Post Post Post.

nickhimself posted:

Yeah, but like Secret Sweater said, this poo poo blows my mind. I showed my dad, and he thought I had photoshopped it. He literally couldn't believe that it was possible.

Secret Sweater posted:

Echoing what Crackbone said because even on my TF201 the difference between HC and ICS was amazing.

TOO SCSI FOR MY CAT
Oct 12, 2008

this is what happens when you take UI design away from engineers and give it to a bunch of hipster art student "designers"

Crackbone posted:

Might be worth waiting for ICS to hit the original TF to see if that has any effect. Granted they claimed HC was going to fix UI lag as well, but *shrug* why not wait?
I've read several reports (example) that the Transformer Prime is actually less responsive with ICS than it was with HC. Since the Prime is significantly more powerful than the original Transformer, I wouldn't hang any hopes on ICS fixing the TF101's input lag problems.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Janin posted:

I wouldn't hang any hopes on ICS fixing the TF101's input lag problems.

It looks like it helped the xoom out a lot and the tf101 uses the same soc so it's weird you'd say that.

Honeycomb was rushed out to compete, google admits it. Half rear end soc with half rear end software is not the best way to start out for a first generation, but if the flipside is continuing to not exist in a market that generates a lot of money I can't blame them that much. Catch 22.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Posting from a Transformer Prime to say ICS was an improvement. Maybe not as much as I've seen on a Xoom, but it was nice to ditch Honeycomb.

Edit: The Inquirer recently reviewed the Prime, giving it a 10/10. They cited the display and performance being superior to the iPad 2.

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/review/2145448/asus-transformer-prime-review

Rastor fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Feb 11, 2012

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

I dusted off the touchpad and applied an ICS ROM. Wow. Damned impressive for an alpha release. This shows a lot of promise. I look forward to the official CM9 release and ICS on the TF101.

Gorilla Salsa
Dec 4, 2007

Post Post Post.

Janin posted:

I've read several reports (example) that the Transformer Prime is actually less responsive with ICS than it was with HC. Since the Prime is significantly more powerful than the original Transformer, I wouldn't hang any hopes on ICS fixing the TF101's input lag problems.

One sentence by some guy with 6 posts on Android Central is considered a "report"? It also seems that most of his complaints have to do with reboots and software crashes, something that the recent OTA update was meant to fix. (I can't say that I've really had issues before or after the update).

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Sorry, I'm gonna mention PDFs again. I've been having lag issues like others here when reading PDF comics (og Transformer). I recently installed ComicRack on my PC and tablet. The program converts PDFs and cbr files to a cbp format and they read with no lag whatsoever. It's hardly ideal (have to run through the PC to convert, seemingly proprietary file format), but it's made comics readable.

McLarenF1
Jan 9, 2004

Looking to Buy a McLaren, Anyone Selling One .... Cheap?
The Amazon Kindle app supports PDF, and even saves reading position; try testing that out. (Load files into the root Kindle folder to read)

Bruce Leroy
Jun 10, 2010
Has anyone tried out the HTC Scribe Digital "pen" (a special capacitive stylus) that goes along with the HTC View and Flyer?

I've read about it and seen some videos that look pretty cool, but I'm wondering how good it is outside of marketing videos and how overall useful it is, especially since it's so expensive.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Bruce Leroy posted:

Has anyone tried out the HTC Scribe Digital "pen" (a special capacitive stylus) that goes along with the HTC View and Flyer?

I've read about it and seen some videos that look pretty cool, but I'm wondering how good it is outside of marketing videos and how overall useful it is, especially since it's so expensive.

Meh, its neat I guess, but I find writing on glass doesn't work well and it isn't really that accurate in practice.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

HC introduced optional support for hardware acceleration for Skia (the 2d graphics library) and allowed applications to specify that they could handle it - so to see it in effect you had to have both an app and a tablet with acceleration enabled.

ICS made Skia acceleration mandatory for any Google-approved device and turns it on by default for any application built for ICS. There's also an option in the developer menu to force it on for all applications all the time, but that might cause UI glitches; YMMV.

Words here -

http://www.xda-developers.com/android/googles-dianne-hackborn-dispels-android-hardware-acceleration-myths/

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Bruce Leroy posted:

I'm waiting on amtels digitizer product. I'm hoping it's closer to 100 then 200, but who knows. Pressure sensitivity never comes cheap, but it's worth it for drawing.

Demo vid:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dqVmPZcZ5RA

As soon as that happens I'm selling off my jot (capacitive stylus)..it's good, but nothing capacitive can come close to an active stylus like in a wacom system.

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

zer0spunk posted:

As soon as that happens I'm selling off my jot (capacitive stylus)..it's good, but nothing capacitive can come close to an active stylus like in a wacom system.

This brings up an interesting point. Why can't the press and casual gadget fans understand the difference between a capacitive stylus, a resistive screen with a stylus and a proper Wacom digitizer?
On one hand, I think they do, but acknowledging the difference means they have to be able to articulate something other than LOL SAMSUNG NOTE=PALM PILOT.
I keep seeing blog posts that can't differentiate between the different technologies.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
I read the OP but saw no mention of the XOOM in it...realistically how much longer will Google support the XOOM with updates and poo poo like that? I'm looking for an android tablet but rather not spend 5/600, and I figure since the XOOM is kinda googles "nexus" tablet it would probably be the safe bet at a 3/400 dollar price point...

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

Kynetx posted:

This brings up an interesting point. Why can't the press and casual gadget fans understand the difference between a capacitive stylus, a resistive screen with a stylus and a proper Wacom digitizer?
On one hand, I think they do, but acknowledging the difference means they have to be able to articulate something other than LOL SAMSUNG NOTE=PALM PILOT.
I keep seeing blog posts that can't differentiate between the different technologies.

Because a stylus is a stylus is a stylus. Consumers still have a bad taste in their mouth from the old days of Windows Mobile and Palm Pilot where the stylus pretty much drove the entire touchscreen UI and made for one hell of a bad user experience.

I can't say I blame the press or anyone else for balking at the idea of getting a device that even features a stylus these days.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Please understand most people have no idea what a wacom digitizer is, or that a stylus can be anything other than a pokey stick.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

I read the OP but saw no mention of the XOOM in it...realistically how much longer will Google support the XOOM with updates and poo poo like that? I'm looking for an android tablet but rather not spend 5/600, and I figure since the XOOM is kinda googles "nexus" tablet it would probably be the safe bet at a 3/400 dollar price point...

Well, there is the Xoom 2, but I'm pretty sure there is very little reasoning to get it over the original. Unknown on how long, but probably a few more updates. The non-LTE version does have ICS, so that is pretty big. Don't pay more than $300 for the Xoom, prices will likely drop on it once the new ipad is announced as well.

Speaking of which, Asus better hurry up with the original Transformer ICS update. They promised sometime in February....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

I don't think it's safe to assume that the XOOM or the even the XOOM 2 will act as Google's "Nexus tablet". The merger hasn't even happened yet and both devices were designed and released without Google's supervision.