Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Athanatos posted:

One moment Mulder. I'm reading the most fascinating article on the most fascinating people of the year... And, done.

Hmmm...most beautiful people People.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Relayer
Sep 18, 2002
Oh my god, oh my god, I just saw a seinfeld moment I've never seen. It's in 'The Race', after Jerry takes that "shot" and then says "man that's some tart cider". I think the reason I hadn't seen it is because in syndication little things get cut, and apparently I just hadn't watched the dvd version (hence full version) of that episode yet.

It's not much but it's all I have... :unsmith:

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong

DrBouvenstein posted:

Hmmm...most beautiful people People.

I believe that's a Ziggy. Quickly, Elaine! To my archives!

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

Kull the Conqueror posted:

I believe that's a Ziggy. Quickly, Elaine! To my archives!

Dammit Elaine, that was the yam-yam!

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Relayer posted:

Oh my god, oh my god, I just saw a seinfeld moment I've never seen. It's in 'The Race', after Jerry takes that "shot" and then says "man that's some tart cider". I think the reason I hadn't seen it is because in syndication little things get cut, and apparently I just hadn't watched the dvd version (hence full version) of that episode yet.

It's not much but it's all I have... :unsmith:

Why would they cut things out for syndication? Each episode was already made for a 30 minute timeslot, how short are they trying to make them these days? I also wonder whose job it is to analyse each episode of Seinfeld and decide which lines of dialogue can be cut without the cuts seeming jarring or ruining a plotline.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

jojoinnit posted:

Why would they cut things out for syndication?

More commercials.

quote:

Each episode was already made for a 30 minute timeslot, how short are they trying to make them these days?

The actual length of a "30 minute" show without commercials has gotten gradually shorter and shorter over the years. Plus, it's not even a Seinfeld issue specifically. Every show gets cut like this in syndication.

quote:

I also wonder whose job it is to analyse each episode of Seinfeld and decide which lines of dialogue can be cut without the cuts seeming jarring or ruining a plotline.

Whoever's job it is, they don't always succeed.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
They also cut out "And the heat, my god, the heat!"

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Diabolik900 posted:

More commercials.

The actual length of a "30 minute" show without commercials has gotten gradually shorter and shorter over the years. Plus, it's not even a Seinfeld issue specifically. Every show gets cut like this in syndication.
I only watch Seinfeld on Crackle and my local independent affiliate which seems to only show reruns of Seinfeld, Burn Notice and BBT and as far as I can tell they don't cut anything out, so I've really never noticed anything missing. Although maybe they are all cut and if I watched the DVD's my mind would be blown?

Billy Zane
Jun 24, 2003

Listen to your friend Billy Zane. He's a cool dude.

jojoinnit posted:

I only watch Seinfeld on Crackle and my local independent affiliate which seems to only show reruns of Seinfeld, Burn Notice and BBT and as far as I can tell they don't cut anything out, so I've really never noticed anything missing. Although maybe they are all cut and if I watched the DVD's my mind would be blown?

I only recently acquired the complete DVD box set, and there is definitely a lot of material as a whole missing due to syndication. I'd say that about half the time, the missing scenes or dialogue really add to the context of a particular episode and makes it even funnier. I didn't really start watching Seinfeld while it was on the air until I was a junior or senior in high school, so up until now I've mostly seen syndicated episodes.

In summary, get the DVD's.

Edit: grammar

Billy Zane fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Feb 11, 2012

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Main reason I'm holding out on the DVDs is because I'm waiting for them to release the newer high res versions they show on syndication these days (the widescreen versions) on DVD. I don't want to be stuck watching the SD 4:3 version of each episode for the rest of my life.

Relayer
Sep 18, 2002
It may have been mentioned but Season 1 on Blu-ray is listed on Amazon, although there's no release date as of yet it seems.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

jojoinnit posted:

Main reason I'm holding out on the DVDs is because I'm waiting for them to release the newer high res versions they show on syndication these days (the widescreen versions) on DVD. I don't want to be stuck watching the SD 4:3 version of each episode for the rest of my life.

It's mostly just a crop job, actually. There's a bit of extra data added to the sides but there's quite a bit missing from the top and bottom on the widescreen broadcasts. Someone did a comparison way earlier in this thread that showed the differences.
edit: here

The HD versions do look nice, though.

wa27 fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Feb 10, 2012

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Relayer posted:

It may have been mentioned but Season 1 on Blu-ray is listed on Amazon, although there's no release date as of yet it seems.

I bought a few of the DVD box sets but stopped around Season 4, I think. Never got through buying the whole series. But the whole thing on Blu Ray? Now that I will loving throw my money at.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
I think I'm having a heart attack.

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

I am an awesome guy and I love to make out during shitty Hollywood horror movies. I am a trendwhore!
Both Seinfeld and Simpsons are two the shows I can tell when I'm watching a non-syndicated version due to just one extra line.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time
I did the math and Tuscany is actually about 12.5% the size of North Dakota

PS. Love the cabin
Dec 30, 2011
Bee Lincoln
What are the odds of being with a Portuguese waitress?

Relayer
Sep 18, 2002
So you have the sex... next day you don't have to call..

..that's pretty good.

PS. Love the cabin
Dec 30, 2011
Bee Lincoln

drat, I really wish I was skilled enough to have it so Kramer chases him back and forth.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe
Important question...

"Bro", or "Mansiere" ?

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Chili posted:

Important question...

"Bro", or "Mansiere" ?

Who the hell is going to buy something called a "Mansiere"? With "Bro" you can market it like it's a tough guys thing instead of a really pretentious french sounding name.

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe

piratepilates posted:

Who the hell is going to buy something called a "Mansiere"? With "Bro" you can market it like it's a tough guys thing instead of a really pretentious french sounding name.

See I was Team Bro since I watched that episode back in high school. But I don't know, I think if you're appealing try to appeal to an older demographic, "Bro" might be too colloquial.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Chili posted:

See I was Team Bro since I watched that episode back in high school. But I don't know, I think if you're appealing try to appeal to an older demographic, "Bro" might be too colloquial.

Market two versions, one the 'Mansiere' for the older demographic, the second one the 'Bro' or 'Sports Bro' for the young fatties.

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe

piratepilates posted:

Market two versions, one the 'Mansiere' for the older demographic, the second one the 'Bro' or 'Sports Bro' for the young fatties.

Brilliant. Let's partner up, I know a guy.

neoboman
Feb 16, 2007
You guys can do whatever you want as long as you hold your transvestite parties somewhere else.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Riptor posted:

They revoked my membership. Newman too. You know, we can't go anywhere near there.

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.

wa27 posted:

It's mostly just a crop job, actually. There's a bit of extra data added to the sides but there's quite a bit missing from the top and bottom on the widescreen broadcasts. Someone did a comparison way earlier in this thread that showed the differences.
edit: here

The HD versions do look nice, though.

I notice that in the HD versions, you can often see the full "Tom's Restaurant" sign, whereas the old 4:3 versions were framed to only show the "Restaurant" part.

Chexoid
Nov 5, 2009

Now that I have this dating robot I can take it easy.
*Rubs face*

It's a skill, just like juggling! She probably enjoys showing it off!

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe
Ned's a guy who buys irregular underwear. Next!

PS. Love the cabin
Dec 30, 2011
Bee Lincoln

Kevyn posted:

I notice that in the HD versions, you can often see the full "Tom's Restaurant" sign, whereas the old 4:3 versions were framed to only show the "Restaurant" part.

Thanks, now I will always notice that in a lot of shots you can see the end of "Tom's" on the sign.

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Let me start off with a basket of chips. Then move on to the pollo asado taco.

Chili posted:

Ned's a guy who buys irregular underwear. Next!

Little Stuart Rifkin likes to go shopping with his mother!

Relayer
Sep 18, 2002

DrBouvenstein posted:

They revoked my membership. Newman too. You know, we can't go anywhere near there.

He could have died!

Yeah it was a gamble.. :shobon:

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe

thepokey posted:

Little Stuart Rifkin likes to go shopping with his mother!

That whole scene reminded me just how horrible Elaine was. Vetoing a dude's name choices and insisting on her own for a dude she's only been dating for x amount of weeks. Jeez Elaine, chill your tits and let the guy go by Todd.

P.S Todd is a really lovely name... BUT IT SHOULDN'T HAVE BEEN HER CHOICE

Relayer
Sep 18, 2002
I remember she suggests the name "OJ" very enthusiastically and it always makes me kinda squirm a little.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Relayer posted:

I remember she suggests the name "OJ" very enthusiastically and it always makes me kinda squirm a little.

Thats a perfectly sane name to have!

Relayer
Sep 18, 2002
"Ya know, deep down I always felt like they blamed me for Susan's death.."

"Why? Because you picked out the poison envelopes?"

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost
THEY CHASED MY FAMILY OUT OF BAYSIDE!

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...
Being from Ireland I've never seen this show until I emigrated to Canada and my family started me watching a few episodes. It's pretty good, it certainly dates better than a lot of other nineties shows like Friends.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Nilbop posted:

Being from Ireland I've never seen this show until I emigrated to Canada and my family started me watching a few episodes. It's pretty good, it certainly dates better than a lot of other nineties shows like Friends.

Nilbop... that's not Irish.