Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Plasma1010
Jul 2, 2007

by T. Mascis

Optimum Gulps posted:

There's no shortage of excellent metal that came out last year, but since this is the black metal thread, I'll refrain from posting other subgenres and just recommend that you give Insane Vesper's Abomination of Death album a listen. Skogen's Svitjod album is pretty solid too, but it might not be what you're looking for (it's more in the vein of Drudkh and Fen than it is Taake). To be honest, I'm in the same situation in that I haven't listened to anything from 2011 more than Noregs Vaapen, but there's plenty of great stuff.

Trust me, not that I didn't listen to mostly everything posted in this thread and otherwise that I could find from 2011 but other then the Taake and Evilfeast album, nothing else stayed with me. Will check out what you suggested, if Svitjod is like Autumn Aurora I'll dig it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Not Very Metal
Aug 3, 2007

Shit Fuck Shit Fuck!
No one else picked up Craft's Void?

EkoEkoAzarak
Nov 3, 2005
Vulgar Display of Power

Drifter287 posted:

Saw Abigail Williams last night at St. Vitus in Brooklyn. Pretty disappointing turn out, but they sounded awesome. They played all of Becoming and then one track from the 2nd album, can't remember the title.

What did you think of Woe and Immolith?

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Immolith was alright. They had kind of a thrashy, Immortal and Dissection-y thing going on, but some of the songs were a bit repetitive.

I dug Woe. I love my atmospheric black metal as much as the next guy, but it's always cool to find bands that do that and still have cool riffs. Their drummer was pretty beastly too.

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

There was a time when I fed from golden chalices,
but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.

Not Very Metal posted:

No one else picked up Craft's Void?

Hell yes! Besides Absu's latest, this was probably one of my fav black metal albums of 2011. Midnight's Satanic Royalty was a worthy release too. I like the slower groove-oriented black 'n roll stuff.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I had totally forgotten about Craft and not in a bad way, I put it on last week and was like, "WHY DIDN'T I LISTEN TO THIS MORE". It's so loving solid.

EDIT: Oh yeah, it came out right before classes started again. :(

I Brake For MILFs
Jan 9, 2007

:syoon:

Baron Von Ghoulosh posted:

Midnight's Satanic Royalty was a worthy release too. I like the slower groove-oriented black 'n roll stuff.

I just checked this out, this is a sick album definitely. Makes me want to get a white flying v and some Marshall stacks and hurt some ears. My only problem is the vocals aren't dirty enough. They should sound like he's dying. Oh well, still amazing.

EvilMoJoJoJo
Dec 9, 2004

ask me about leaving the cult of black metal and bringing jesus into your life

Job 19:17
The new Lantlôs, Agape, is heavier than the last, I think. I love .neon and I'm really enjoying Agape too.

AstroWhale
Mar 28, 2009

EvilMoJoJoJo posted:

The new Lantlôs, Agape, is heavier than the last, I think. I love .neon and I'm really enjoying Agape too.

Really?
I thought it was way less heavier. There are barely any blast beats.I thought it was dull and way too short.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Somewhere in the depths of this thread did I see mention of a black metal band that played all basses? Google isn't being helpful discovering if such a thing actually exists.

West
Jul 8, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I haven't been keeping up with this thread like I should, but what does everyone think of the new Alcest?

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

the yeti posted:

Somewhere in the depths of this thread did I see mention of a black metal band that played all basses? Google isn't being helpful discovering if such a thing actually exists.

Gallhammer?

Monkeytime
Mar 20, 2010

the yeti posted:

Neoandertals?

As for Alcest, I honestly forgot I'd even heard it. I'll have to go back and listen again, but I thought that song they did the video for didn't break much new ground.

polynominal-c
Jan 18, 2003

the yeti posted:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Necromantia#History

Bruce Boxliker
Mar 24, 2010

West posted:

I haven't been keeping up with this thread like I should, but what does everyone think of the new Alcest?

I like it a lot but it doesn't push the sound forward much. I'd put it above the first album but after the second.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Yeah its solid and very enjoyable but pretty much exactly what you'd expect.

Track 2 is awesome as gently caress though.

Plasma1010
Jul 2, 2007

by T. Mascis
Just stumbled upon Wolfchant, they arn't particularly my style but some people in here might like it ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SvU-iuN9OOQ&feature=related

Bruce Boxliker
Mar 24, 2010

Drifter287 posted:

Track 2 is awesome as gently caress though.

Yeah forgot to say this, that track owns.

A Sloth
Aug 4, 2010
EVERY TIME I POST I AM REQUIRED TO DISCLOSE THAT I AM A SHITHEAD.

ASK ME MY EXPERT OPINION ON GENDER BASED INSULTS & "ENGLISH ETHNIC GROUPS".

:banme:

Plasma1010 posted:

Just stumbled upon Wolfchant, they arn't particularly my style but some people in here might like it ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SvU-iuN9OOQ&feature=related

I used to listen to that track a lot then forgot all about it. Thanks!

Cobweb Heart
Mar 31, 2010

I need you to wear this. I need you to wear this all the time. It's office policy.
Hey you! Check out Botanist. Botany-themed black metal that uses a hammered dulcimer instead of guitars and bass. Really weird staggering drumming. You'd think it would be gimmicky, but it's actually really good - very black metal, yet without actually being full metal.

abske_fides
Apr 20, 2010
I only listened to the new Alcest once but I would say it's actually his worst release yet. I didn't anything really memorable at all. Quite disappointing really since I had enjoyed everything before that including Le secret EP.

I also cannot enjoy Craft at all. I don't get why they're getting so much praise from everyone.

Also, Absu have been a band I've been wanting to get into for awhile. I've heard quite a few bits and pieces here and there which were quite decent but haven't hooked me. What should I start with?

I listened to some Coldworld today, I had forgotten about that guy for awhile. Quite enjoyable black metal when you're in the mood for it.

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

abske_fides posted:

What should I start with?

Tara

It's absulutely tarafic.

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional
I'd start with the Sun of Tiphareth for Absu. Go back and listen to their first album after you've heard the rest basically, it can be a little underwhelming.

As for Craft - the new album was punctuated by punk, and slower sections, not totally unlike Darkthrone in some ways. I wouldn't judge the band on that album, Terror Propaganda remains their best.

Bubble Bathory
Apr 22, 2008

HELLO, YES, THIS IS BUBBLE BATHORY. LOOKS LIKE WE'VE GOT A BADASS OVER HERE WHO CAN'T STOP POSTING ABOUT HOW MUCH HE LOVES MEMES.

THAT'S THE JOKE.
Might have been mentioned way back in the thread, but I have just discovered Hecate Enthroned: particularly, the first couple albums/EP.
I can see a lot of people not liking this kind of thing but I think it is just fantastic.
Draws a lot of comparisons to old, old Cradle, which I can see (apparently they sprung up around the same time in the UK and worked together or something) but way more of what I would consider "actual" black metal with some cool thrash bits thrown in.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Cobweb Heart posted:

Botany-themed black metal that uses a hammered dulcimer instead of guitars and bass.

I went into this expecting it to blow, and it kind of did, but I can't say I didn't enjoy listening to it - the very idea of it is so terrific as to excuse a lot of its flaws, and the constant plant puns handle the rest. (Specifically I am thinking of "Rhododendoom"). The last few songs on II are actually pretty amazing, I'm quite looking forward to his next release.

SierraEchoBravo
Jun 23, 2010
I can't find any kind of "Post your band here!" thread anywhere, so I figure this is as good a place as any.

I play lead guitar in a symphonic black metal band called Archaic Eclipse from Hampton, NH.

Facebook

Our biggest influences are Immortal, Old Man's Child, Moonsorrow, some Behemoth.

We have our debut album coming out in the spring, and have all three of our demos on a compilation.

Lemme know what you think, I wont whore out my music any more.

Cobweb Heart posted:

Botany-themed black metal that uses a hammered dulcimer instead of guitars and bass.

I had to look it up just because it sounded so...out there. I can't stop laughing at the plant puns, any idea how serious they are?

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Just listened to Foresight of the Wanderer. Good poo poo. I don't suppose you guys have any plans to trek down to NYC any time soon do you?

SierraEchoBravo
Jun 23, 2010

Drifter287 posted:

Just listened to Foresight of the Wanderer. Good poo poo. I don't suppose you guys have any plans to trek down to NYC any time soon do you?

To be honest I'm not sure. This summer we will definitely be playing shows all over the place. We're currently working hard to get a good press kit together and get promoted everywhere we can. If you know anyone who can help us book shows and tours let us know!

Edit: I'm loving your song Restless Spirit, wicked good stuff!

SierraEchoBravo fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Feb 20, 2012

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Thanks man, glad you dig it! That's probably my favorite song on the EP.

Looks like you don't have PMs so if you want to drop me a line at the email addy on our facebook page. We've mostly played in an around NYC and NJ so far, but we've worked with a couple of pretty good promoters around here who might be able to hook you up.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

SierraEchoBravo posted:

I can't stop laughing at the plant puns, any idea how serious they are?

Way more so than is probably warrantable.

SierraEchoBravo
Jun 23, 2010

Well he doesn't seem like a complete weirdo. :420:

Cobweb Heart
Mar 31, 2010

I need you to wear this. I need you to wear this all the time. It's office policy.
It's that weird black metal serious where he's aware of how silly it sounds and doesn't really care. BM is one of the few genres where I've seen a significant number of bands like that, and I think it's probably the healthiest attitude one can take towards your work; possessing the self-assuredness to have a completely silly sense of aesthetics and rolling with it without resorting to self-parody.

That's why I don't have a lot of respect for parody black metal. It's like, why parody something that parodies itself, and without the genuine passion and talent of the original?

EvilMoJoJoJo
Dec 9, 2004

I'm seeing Deafheaven tomorrow. I'm really excited.

Support bands are Kingdom, Hierophant, and Wrong Answer, and I've never even heard of any of them. Don't suppose any of you have either?

funeral fag
Jun 23, 2004

Cobweb Heart posted:

That's why I don't have a lot of respect for parody black metal. It's like, why parody something that parodies itself, and without the genuine passion and talent of the original?

You're right, I don't like Watain either

amotea
Mar 23, 2008
Grimey Drawer

EvilMoJoJoJo posted:

I'm seeing Deafheaven tomorrow. I'm really excited.

Support bands are Kingdom, Hierophant, and Wrong Answer, and I've never even heard of any of them. Don't suppose any of you have either?

Saw Deafheaven last week, very good live although the set list was a bit short. Didn't care much for the other two bands.

EvilMoJoJoJo
Dec 9, 2004

amotea posted:

Saw Deafheaven last week, very good live although the set list was a bit short. Didn't care much for the other two bands.

Jesus I see what you mean. 35 minutes for a headline set - really? Really??

We caught a bit of the only support, Hierophant, and they were pretty good - very sludgey but less boring than I find most sludge bands.

The other support bands dropped out after ~major drama~. Apparently the Deafheaven drummer wore a Hate Forest t-shirt at a previous gig, and they didn't want to associate with anyone who might have Nazi sympathies. Fair enough, really.

Monkeytime
Mar 20, 2010

EvilMoJoJoJo posted:

Jesus I see what you mean. 35 minutes for a headline set - really? Really??

We caught a bit of the only support, Hierophant, and they were pretty good - very sludgey but less boring than I find most sludge bands.

The other support bands dropped out after ~major drama~. Apparently the Deafheaven drummer wore a Hate Forest t-shirt at a previous gig, and they didn't want to associate with anyone who might have Nazi sympathies. Fair enough, really.

I guess that's what happens when you tour with straightedge hardcore bands (a really bizarre pairing if you ask me).

e: I'm fine with 35 minutes when they open for Alcest next month but that's ridiculous for a headline set. Shortest headlining set I've ever seen was Primus-- 30 minutes, no encore.

Monkeytime fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Feb 23, 2012

drainpipe
May 17, 2004

AAHHHHHHH!!!!
I've been really liking the Eastern European atmospheric stuff like Walknut, Ygg, Drudkh, Darkestrah... Can anyone recommend any other bands in the same vein? Doesn't have to be Eastern European (WIITR for example).

ultraviolence123
Jul 3, 2002

drainpipe posted:

I've been really liking the Eastern European atmospheric stuff like Walknut, Ygg, Drudkh, Darkestrah... Can anyone recommend any other bands in the same vein? Doesn't have to be Eastern European (WIITR for example).

Try Kob and Folkvang

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LittleBlackCloud
Mar 5, 2007
xXI love Plum JuiceXx
My band is reasonably black metal. We're putting this out on tape soon.

http://ghedehardcore.bandcamp.com/