Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Starz
Sep 7, 2003

Would anyone be interested in seeing some of my build?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bicehunter
Jul 8, 2010

Starz posted:

Great use of the landscape! Not so sure about that colored whatever it is. What is it?

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Bicehunter posted:

Great use of the landscape! Not so sure about that colored whatever it is. What is it?

Techno-vagina.

A peeing Techno-vagina.

Starz
Sep 7, 2003

It is the building I came up with for my nether portal. The idea I had was that it channels magic in some fashion...

Each color can be turned on/off independently, and the whole thing can be put into a cycle where each color comes on in order and then they all turn off at once and then repeats. We had just installed Tekkit on our server and I wanted to see what I could do with RedPower.

DuFfY
Oct 1, 2005

brace yourself
So its a pulsing peeing techno vagina now?

Very nice build. How much of the terrain was changed? From the screenshot it looks like you've used the natural terrain in a very complimentary way.

Starz
Sep 7, 2003

I have mainly tried to work with the terrain, but I have changed some things.

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*

Starz posted:

Is that Tangram?

Bagleworm
Aug 15, 2007
I has your rocks

Bicehunter posted:

Got a retarded internet-site going, nothing much, cba to put much more effort into it right now, need to code on the engine :P

http://kosmospace.net

If you'd add a (link to an?) RSS feed you would be the coolest person on the Internet. :3:

Bicehunter
Jul 8, 2010

Bagleworm posted:

If you'd add a (link to an?) RSS feed you would be the coolest person on the Internet. :3:

Its made in a light-weight CMS I'm still developing, but good idea, I'll try and add support for RSS ;)

Anyways, I was out exploring trying to get some screenshots. So I took one:

Then I got to adventurous and fell off :(

larger res: http://i.imgur.com/4sChy.jpg

larger res: http://i.imgur.com/XCEvh.jpg

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl

Bicehunter posted:

Would it be very hard to put the center of gravity in the middle of that? (I have the coding ability of a dead snail and have literally hosed up Hello World! in more than one language)

Bicehunter
Jul 8, 2010

redmercer posted:

Would it be very hard to put the center of gravity in the middle of that? (I have the coding ability of a dead snail and have literally hosed up Hello World! in more than one language)

I'm not very good myself at crazy math, I guess I could calculate the camera up vector and also have gravity not only affect y position and let gravity be a vector instead of a single value etc but currently I'm keeping it simple on that front, to many things that can mess up what I'm focusing at will just turn it into a big soup of poo poo.

Gentwise
Sep 12, 2003
Gentwise Bankfourthe, Esquire.
Those are looking really great! A galaxy of those with interesting variations that you could travel between would be unbelievably cool.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

redmercer posted:

That would be wicked.

Cephalocidal
Dec 23, 2005

redmercer posted:

Having a gravity plane through the center that you could cross and flip would probably be a good deal easier to code for, and more fun to abuse as a player to boot. Even that would be non-trivial to debug though, especially as more possible interactions are added to the game.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Not allowed to have nice things
Treat it like it's a really big block, rather than a sphere. So if you fall off the top of the block, you fall until you reach above the side of the block?

Or make it two sided, fall off top, land on bottom.

Locus
Feb 28, 2004

But you were dead a thousand times. Hopeless encounters successfully won.
Shattered Horizon handled arbitrary "gravity" well, in that you could disengage from surfaces, rotate in any direction, then point and click a button to orient your suit and "lock on" to walk around.

Anyway, regardless of your actual gameplay plans, Bicehunter, those shots look really cool.

whalestory
Feb 9, 2004

hey ya'll!

Pillbug
Well as long as you turn your minecraft clone into super mario galaxy that's alright :)

HauntedRobot
Jun 22, 2002

an excellent mod
a simple map to my heart
now give me tilt shift
Just noticed something wierd with Minecraft. When you're at the main menu, grab the title bar and drag the Minecraft window offscreen...

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

HauntedRobot posted:

Just noticed something wierd with Minecraft. When you're at the main menu, grab the title bar and drag the Minecraft window offscreen...
Nothing happened for me. What are you talking about?

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.
Yeah it behaved just like any other window for me.

HauntedRobot
Jun 22, 2002

an excellent mod
a simple map to my heart
now give me tilt shift
Huh. The blurred background kind of folds in on itself on my machine. Hard to describe, it kind of pushes in from all 4 corners. The text over the top is fine.

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl

Bicehunter posted:

I'm not very good myself at crazy math, I guess I could calculate the camera up vector and also have gravity not only affect y position and let gravity be a vector instead of a single value etc but currently I'm keeping it simple on that front, to many things that can mess up what I'm focusing at will just turn it into a big soup of poo poo.

I think if Minecraft has taught us nothing else, it's that you can just swede a lot of the math and still have it come out acceptable.

Bicehunter
Jul 8, 2010

redmercer posted:

I think if Minecraft has taught us nothing else, it's that you can just swede a lot of the math and still have it come out acceptable.

I'm swedish. So. I do that anyways.

Ohoy! Animated generators or whatever you'd like to call em are in, I've made one that sorta tries to make a coral-looking structure.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4eIJfVae6nU

The code I've done for this can also be used to insert larger than 1 cube stuff into the world instantly, this is just a animated version.

Bicehunter fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Feb 12, 2012

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     

redmercer posted:

The problem would be at the "corners" of the world the blocks would be on a diagonal. So if you went to place a block on the ground it would be at a 45 degree angle. I don't think there's any way to make a spherical world if it's made out of blocks without a lot of weirdness.

Bicehunter
Jul 8, 2010
Well. I think I might add black holes atleast ;) Blocks that suck you towards it (or npcs / mobs etc).

tinaun
Jun 9, 2011

tell me...

Bicehunter posted:

Well. I think I might add black holes atleast ;) Blocks that suck you towards it (or npcs / mobs etc).

A mob that sucks you in when you are in line of sight would be amazing.

I started making a minecraft clone, but it got put on hold for a while. Keep up the good work goons!

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Bicehunter posted:

Someone here suggested making a single gravity block near the core, and whichever face of that block you were closest to, you were pushed in that direction.

I would really give this gravity idea a second look; if there was one thing that really set your space block game apart and make it marketable, it would be this. You want your first blurb in PC Gaming magazine to be something along the lines of "Minecraft Clone with Orbital Mechanics"

Even if you don't use it in the full game, any future modding community would love to have this mechanic already in place. You know it's going to end up as your most requested feature in a space themed sandbox game.

Also, gravity blocks would make for some really cool MC Escher type stuff

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Feb 12, 2012

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Schweinhund posted:

The problem would be at the "corners" of the world the blocks would be on a diagonal. So if you went to place a block on the ground it would be at a 45 degree angle. I don't think there's any way to make a spherical world if it's made out of blocks without a lot of weirdness.
You'd need to have, like, shrinkage. If each level was a spherical shell instead of a plane, the blocks would be slightly longer on the top than on the bottom. This wouldn't be a large issue higher up, but once you got lower down, it would be. The options would be:
1. Have there be less blocks on each shell, and
2. Have blocks that are narrower and narrower on each shell.

Obviously neither of those solutions are ideal; I don't know what would be.

edit: Well, let's say the radius is increasing by 1m per tier. Let the lowest tier be the gravity core, which is undiggable. The next layer has an inner circumference of 2pi and an outer circumference of 4pi. The next one is 4pi and 6pi, then 6pi and 8pi, etc. So basically if you want your blocks to have an upper size of 1x1 meters, you need two more blocks per level. This means that they will not line up very nicely. You could do something like have the blocks double every X layers, but that might make building weird. Dunno!

Elysiume fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Feb 12, 2012

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl

Bicehunter posted:

I was thinking that putting a single block in the center of the planet that sucks everything towards it might be a way of going about it. But see above for how little I know about this

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

Elysiume posted:

You'd need to have, like, shrinkage. If each level was a spherical shell instead of a plane, the blocks would be slightly longer on the top than on the bottom. This wouldn't be a large issue higher up, but once you got lower down, it would be. The options would be:
1. Have there be less blocks on each shell, and
2. Have blocks that are narrower and narrower on each shell.

Obviously neither of those solutions are ideal; I don't know what would be.

How would you store this and just thinking about dealing with the graphics... :pwn:

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

poemdexter posted:

How would you store this and just thinking about dealing with the graphics... :pwn:
I don't really know. It would be horrible with larger spheres, as a chunk system would be weird. I guess something like a jagged matrix, and have a certain point that counts

I just realized this would be in three dimensions, not two. That makes it worse in basically every way.

Every shell would have a volume of (4pi/3)(r2^3 - r1^3). So if you want each block to have a volume of pi/6 units (for making this cleaner), each shell would have 8(r2^3 - r1^3) blocks. So the first shell would have 8, the second would have 8(8-1) = 56, the third would have 8(27-8) = 152, and so on. As for storing them and making them line up nicely, ...

Elysiume fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Feb 12, 2012

Willie Trombone
Feb 13, 2004

Elysiume posted:

I don't really know. It would be horrible with larger spheres, as a chunk system would be weird. I guess something like a jagged matrix, and have a certain point that counts

I just realized this would be in three dimensions, not two. That makes it worse in basically every way.

Even just a surface of a sphere really doesn't work with blocks for the same reason that a globe has its longitude and latitude lines forming less and less regular shapes as you go toward the poles, and due to topology the sphere would always either need two poles or an even stranger dipole.

edit: This brings up a kinda interesting idea, though: You could use a sort of slight dipole projection onto a sphere to give the illusion of an infinite curved world so that stuff that loads is actually beyond the horizon and thus not "popping into existence" as with most games... might be kinda cool if you can get your view distance to be really, really far, and should be easy to implement through a simple shader, even on Minecraft as-is.

An animated version of the dipole thing I'm talking about... imagine for the sake of clarity that the tails of the arrows constitute their own grid lines, and that if implemented as a shader, the player would always be centered at the point on the sphere opposite the dipole: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Hairy_ball_one_pole_animated.gif

Willie Trombone fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Feb 13, 2012

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.
Interesting fact: a minecraft world is slightly larger than Uranus (:haw:), except obviously in the height direction.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

Yeah, a sphere would be a mess, but you could have it clamp your orientation so that you're always perpendicular to whichever face of the "gravity block" is closest.

Cube worlds need cube physics.

Wheeze
Jul 31, 2007

It seems like the simplest thing to do, both from a programming standpoint and a design standpoint, would be to make planets vaguely cube-shaped (but with mountains and valleys and stuff) and then reorient the player whenever they pass over an edge.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

Wheeze posted:

It seems like the simplest thing to do, both from a programming standpoint and a design standpoint, would be to make planets vaguely cube-shaped (but with mountains and valleys and stuff) and then reorient the player whenever they pass over an edge.

I was thinking if you just had a sufficiently large enough single square, you could just have the edges wrap around and then use some fancy GLSL shaders to bend the blocks so it looks like a round asteroid.

Willie Trombone
Feb 13, 2004

poemdexter posted:

I was thinking if you just had a sufficiently large enough single square, you could just have the edges wrap around and then use some fancy GLSL shaders to bend the blocks so it looks like a round asteroid.

I guess I'll put my edit down here since I took too long to make it:

This brings up a kinda interesting idea, though: You could use a sort of slight dipole projection onto a sphere to give the illusion of an infinite curved world so that stuff that loads is actually beyond the horizon and thus not "popping into existence" as with most games... might be kinda cool if you can get your view distance to be really, really far, and should be easy to implement through a simple shader, even on Minecraft as-is.

An animated version of the dipole thing I'm talking about... imagine for the sake of clarity that the tails of the arrows constitute their own grid lines, and that if implemented as a shader, the player would always be centered at the point on the sphere opposite the dipole: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Hairy_ball_one_pole_animated.gif

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Schweinhund posted:

How about the gravity block figures out how far the "planet" is around it, and generates a cube of gravity. Each side of the cube would have gravity point down towards it, and just not do diagonals at all. There are a ton of problems I can think of (block A is in gravity 1, block B is in gravity 2, stepping into gravity 2 from 1 would cause you to pop into the ground; diagonals are going to be really weird depending on how the world generates...) but it might work depending on how much work anyone would do on it.

Of course I'm talking out of my rear end, I have no experience in actual game programming, still in college trying to learn this poo poo in the first place.

Fake edit:

Wheeze posted:

So kind of like this, except said much better than I ever could have put it.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
Gravity blocks? Why not Gravity boots? Have the Player stick to all surfaces. Walking off a cliff or into a wall results in you walking down the cliff or up the wall.

Replace traditional jumping with the point-to-point Space Jump from Deadspace.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ants on my cum rag
Sep 2, 2011

"Oh God you got the spray gun, DO NOT LOSE IT, you seriously better not screw this up, I'm not kidding"
~~The Battle Hymn of the Contra Tiger Mother~~
Bicehunter, amazing work! I'm excited to think that I might be viewing the early stages of the next big hit. Don't make "SpaceCraftCon" though.